• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Will Charge For Fuel (as a stamina bar) In Need For Speed: No Limits (Mobile)

mdubs

Banned
This should be openly shamed by games journalists but for some reason they don't touch it.

Is it really acceptable to take advantage of people like this, even if they have no self control?

Somehow I doubt there will be journalists willing to draw their line in the stand over some terrible mobile game, I know I wouldn't.

Jimrpg

Mobile games were great before f2p and IAPs

It's on apple to return to its roots.

I really enjoyed the mobile scene when there were lots of bite sized quirky games for $1,2,3 but now it's either a $18au square Enix port or a f2p with IAPs. There's hardly anything in between. Mobile is a complete waste of time right now.

Would rather spend $5 on steam games

Tak3n

Banned
What you have to do if like me you enjoy the F2P games is set them up so you can go from one to another

so I have Simpson tapped out, Jurassic park Builder....etc etc, and if you have more than one you can play the time whilst annoying isn't all consuming, if you just have one F2P game you enjoy it is going to annoy quickly

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is anyone truly surprised about this? It's an EA mobile game, this mechanic is kind of expected by now.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No limit on how much $ you will spend. Its great, because we can support our favorite publisher, gaming pals :)

Ponn

Banned
I like how horrible practices are now excused by "everyone is doing it"

how is that even remotely comforting

We started down that rabbit hole when the horse armor started selling. We are too far down that hole now and its obvious by now people have no self-control.

danowat

Banned
because it's a fucking horrid system? Something being horrid doesn't change just because it's commonly accepted.

And it gives everyone a good excuse to rag on EA :)

It's not accepted as a good system, no one is trying to "excuse" it, it's there, it's been there for ages, it's not going to change, if you don't like it, don't use it.

-Cwalat-

Paying for fuel? How can they get away with something like this lol

Because there are people that pay for that stuff.

Now, there should be a debate whether those people should be burned alive or buried alive.

I'm not too sure, but could we hurry up already because i take offense every second those people exist.

mclem

Yep, after launch you have 6 units of fuel, mostly one race requires one unit, but after couple of hours of playing next race asked for two, that was a boss, but anyway. Each unit recharges in 1,5 minutes. Somehow so.

90 seconds for a recharge? How long are the races so you don't recharge faster than you complete races?

SerTapTap

because it's a fucking horrid system? Something being horrid doesn't change just because it's commonly accepted.

Yeah if anything more shit should be slung at these, EA seemed to feel a bit of a sting with all the Dungeon Keeper bad press, though they clearly haven't learned/changed. Also some of the more successful mobile games of last year were actually premium or at least had a mostly non-shit monetization model (Monument Valley, Hitman Go, Threes, Cross Road)

Sami+

Multiple currencies? lol, fuck off.

I genuinely tried to give this style of game a shot with Spider-Man Unlimited a few months back - I even paid actual money because I think it is absolutely fair to support the developers for making a game I enjoyed playing. But fuck, man. It never ends. They just want more and more and more and more with no actual meaningful payoff, it's ridiculous.

jesu

Free to play NFS game?
Cool, I'll give a try if my tablet can run it.

I pretty much only play mobile games that are either F2P, free from Amazon or in a cheap humble bundle.
So that's only ways I'd get to play a NFS mobile game anyway.

You've never played free-to-play mobile games, I take it. This has been pretty standard practice for years. EA is not a unique snowflake in this respect.

I'm aware it's fairly standard. I just can't believe we let the biggest publisher in the western world get away with it. Zynga, sure, but serious games companies in traditional game space using the same underhanded tactics as the thousands of trash ripoff games that stank up the market isn't okay.

Games industry is a joke. One moment it claims it wants to make riveting, emotional narratives and compete with other media in endearing drama.. Oh, but the same company that makes those claims is shamelessly funneling money from what any self respecting critic would call shit games created exclusively to take advantage of people who don't know any better or have no self control.

Just because it's common at this point doesn't make it okay at all.

Edit:

How about a free to play demo with 1 car and one track.. Then after the race "want to keep going? Buy the game now for 2.99"

And by 'buy the game' I mean you get the whole flipping thing.

bsod

Banned
How's this any different from every other f2p title with micro-transactions? The majority of them have stupid mechanics that require money to continue playing, why is NFS special?

Edit: Is it because of the name? *facepalm*

Uninformed people come out of the woodwork and lose their shit over something that is pretty standard at this point simply because it's EA. There's an argument to be made whether the practice, in general, is predatory or not but that's not the argument people here are interested in making. Rather it's EA = bad. It happened all the time in Battlefield threads where people were raising their pitchforks over various stories about Premium when they didn't even own the game or understand the context.

danowat

Banned
I'm aware it's fairly standard. I just can't believe we let the biggest publisher in the western world get away with it. Zynga, sure, but serious games companies in traditional game space using the same underhanded tactics as the thousands of trash ripoff games that stank up the market isn't okay.

Games industry is a joke. One moment it claims it wants to make riveting, emotional narratives and compete with other media in endearing drama.. Oh, but the same company that makes those claims is shamelessly funneling money from what any self respecting critic would call shit games created exclusively to take advantage of people who don't know any better or have no self control.

Just because it's common at this point doesn't make it okay at all.

You are blurring the lines between mobile and other types of gaming.

These types of systems work on mobile, they bring in a LOT of revenue, there is obviously a market for it.

Mobile isn't the platform for "riveting, emotional narratives and compete with other media in endearing drama"

bsod

Banned

Why would EA, or any company, shy away from this practice when A) it's apparently profitable, and B) clearly there's people who are willing to spend money on this.

Shit costs money. How else can they monetize it if people act like highway robbery for charging even a $1 for a game nowadays?

How about a free to play demo with 1 car and one track.. Then after the race "want to keep going? Buy the game now for 2.99"

And by 'buy the game' I mean you get the whole flipping thing.

Probably because shit like this.

I find if you play these games in the bite sized portions that mobile gaming is good for you never really end up finding yourself in a position to actually have to pay for anything.

I'll play something like this for 5-10 minutes, put it down, and by the time I want to play again everything is ready to go without having to pay a dime.

I actually think this is the best model of f2p. I haven't played one of these racing games, but it's basically just like Candy Crush, right? With Candy Crush, I can get in about 15-30 minutes of gameplay before I hit the paywall, but if I just wait a few hours everything will fully recharge.

My question to anyone who hates that is: Why are you playing Candy Crush for more than 10-15 minutes? It's not a console game. It's not meant to be played that long. I rarely hit the paywall because I don't play mobile games for long, just when I'm waiting at the doctor's office or whatever. If I hit the paywall and still want to play, I can just switch over to a different game. I've never spent a cent on Candy Crush and I've been playing for over a year.

This kind of fuel mechanic would not be acceptable in a console game, the kind of game where you sit down to play for hours. I could understand getting mad about that. But in a f2p mobile game, who cares?? It's absolutely the best option because it will almost never be an issue.

Why would EA, or any company, shy away from this practice when A) it's apparently profitable, and B) clearly there's people who are willing to spend money on this.

Shit costs money. How else can they monetize it if people act like highway robbery for charging even a $1 for a game nowadays?

Maybe they only act that way because there are so many F2P games on the market

coincidentally, that's how F2P games get their hooks in you, with a very welcoming price tag compared to other apps on the store. Strange how that works.

I find if you play these games in the bite sized portions that mobile gaming is good for you never really end up finding yourself in a position to actually have to pay for anything.

I'll play something like this for 5-10 minutes, put it down, and by the time I want to play again everything is ready to go without having to pay a dime.

So basically what you're saying is that mobile gaming like this is best done in short bursts as almost if you were on the road and didn't have a lot of time for extended periods of gameplay in row?

You are blurring the lines between mobile and other types of gaming.

These types of systems work on mobile, they bring in a LOT of revenue, there is obviously a market for it.

Mobile isn't the platform for "riveting, emotional narratives and compete with other media in endearing drama"

Says who, besides the endless shit games occupying the mobile space?
Not all great games need to be dramas, no, but they can be great, complete mini experiences perfectly suited to mobile.

I don't understand why mobile inherently should mean 'ripoff because you're fucking idiots who will pay money for instant gratification'

danowat

Banned
Not all great games need to be dramas, no, but they can be great, complete mini experiences perfectly suited to mobile.

I don't understand why mobile inherently should mean 'ripoff because you're fucking idiots who will pay money for instant gratification'

The people who play them.

F2P games are profitable on mobile, it's that simple.

bsod

Banned
Maybe they only act that way because there are so many F2P games on the market

coincidentally, that's how F2P games get their hooks in you, with a very welcoming price tag compared to other apps on the store. Strange how that works.

So what solution would you propose that wouldn't upset consumers while still bringing in money for developers?

Mobile is the wrong place to make serious games with depth and quality gameplay. Touch screen controls aren't suited to it, phone battery life isn't suited to it, and phone usage isn't suited to it. I wouldn't want to play Uncharted on touch controls at the dentist office.

Mobile is for flicking candies around. That's all I want it to be. Put the real games on console/PC.

nexus2cee_B8HALuFIYAAlFsi.png

h6mb.jpg

giphy.gif

Really EA? You might want to look into your staff to see if anyone is trying to sabotage your entire mobile division.

Einbroch

Banned
I like how horrible practices are now excused by "everyone is doing it"

how is that even remotely comforting

How is it horrible? You know nothing about this game's specific implementation of the system. It could be horrible. If you can only play for like 5 minutes a day, yeah, that's awful. But a good majority of these games give you a good chunk of time to play (like 15-20 minutes) before needing to recharge for a few hours. This is what mobile gaming is about. People shouldn't spend hours playing a single mobile game in a row. That's not their purpose, at least, not these games' purposes. They're there for you to "grind on" while they continuously add new content.

This game is going to make most of it's money off unlocks, not this system (in all likelihood). How about we wait until we see how limiting it is before calling it a horrible practice? Even Chain Chronicles, which is very limited, is not that bad because the people that play it play it once or twice a day for like 10 minutes each time. They're time wasters.

Top Bottom