• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Will Charge For Fuel (as a stamina bar) In Need For Speed: No Limits (Mobile)

I blame all the people that spend money on shit like candy crush
I blame it on the people who feel $2, $3 is too expensive for a game, or would rather wait for a game to go free than pay $0.99. I've seen numerous games that launched as paid premium games go F2P, because people weren't willing to spend a few dollars. Unless it's a really hyped release or a known entity like FTL or XCOM, many people simply aren't willing to pay. So why would devs bother making paid games when they know it'll only mean poor sales?

Sheytan

south_park_freemium3.jpg

A9ALsMP.gif

M3d10n

How is it horrible? You know nothing about this game's specific implementation of the system. It could be horrible. If you can only play for like 5 minutes a day, yeah, that's awful. But a good majority of these games give you a good chunk of time to play (like 15-20 minutes) before needing to recharge for a few hours. This is what mobile gaming is about. People shouldn't spend hours playing a single mobile game in a row. That's not their purpose, at least, not these games' purposes. They're there for you to "grind on" while they continuously add new content.

This game is going to make most of it's money off unlocks, not this system (in all likelihood). How about we wait until we see how limiting it is before calling it a horrible practice? Even Chain Chronicles, which is very limited, is not that bad because the people that play it play it once or twice a day for like 10 minutes each time. They're time wasters.

This. Energy systems aren't actually designed to get people to pay (AFAIK very few people pay for energy), they are designed to keep players from burning through all of the game's content in a day or two. Players who play the game in short burst, but regularly, are more likely to spend money in it down the road.

Pretty much standard F2P mechanic?, why the surprise?

Because EA has been doing good things for a few months and people need to prove that it was just a conspiracy. Much like how Obama didn't invite terrorists over for his first term so he could do it in his second.

danowat

Banned
This is just sad what this industry has become. Games designed entirely around getting people to pump more and more money into them? What a joke. It's infuriating. I wish gaming would go back to its roots, back to the good old days
5e4b8aab839d1b319dae7a99f37d202c.jpg

Hehehe, nice satire, well done!!!

Kezen

Banned
The future of in-game monetization right there.
I would not be surprised if this kind of stuff happens on the next NFS for PC and consoles.
Micro-transactions apparently are a very important stream of revenue.

bsod

Banned
This is just sad what this industry has become. Games designed entirely around getting people to pump more and more money into them? What a joke. It's infuriating. I wish gaming would go back to its roots, back to the good old days

What a shitty practice. The Better Business Bureau needs to be contacted ASAP!

You must not be follow mobile gaming regularly
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676
Over a hundred recommendations of top notch IOS games, some free, most not. The best of what the platform has to offer

Wait why is Crimsonland free on iOS?

I have it on steam and its $13.99 USD and the original release was paid as well back in the day.

And that is basically a port of this free mobile version rather than HD-fied version of its original release. (This new version made some changes which I as a purist vehemently dislike, and dumbed down the gameplay somewhat to better service a simpler control scheme)

Wait why is Crimsonland free on iOS?

I have it on steam and its $13.99 USD and the original release was paid as well back in the day.

And that is basically a port of this free mobile version rather than HD-fied version of its original release. (This new version made some changes which I as a purist vehemently dislike, and dumbed down the gameplay somewhat to better service a simpler control scheme)
It's free with a $5 unlock. So you can play the first few levels of the campaign and then unlock the rest of the game for $5. And it's exactly the same as the new HD version on Steam. Trust me, I have it on both platforms

You have it backwards. The IOS version is a port of the HD Steam release

Most mobiles games are so incredibly boring that I never actually reach the time limits anyway before I just close and delete them.

The pubs have been dreaming about this very scenario for so many years now. Remember all that talk about players spending real money for ammo for their guns in the early days of last gen?

I know this mechanic has been around as "energy" for a while now, but this latest iteration shines a light on just how craven these *games* can be.

Of course, but that is my reaction all the same. I shake my head in disbelief every time I see shenanigans like this. Saying 'unbelievable' is merely an expression.
Sadly, it's so common that it's the norm. It would be unbelievable for me if they had decided to release a paid game without IAP. Thankfully there are more than enough great games that don't have IAP or are just free with an unlock or ad remover that I don't pay any attention to EA's games. It's annoying to see people look at this game and then apply that "F2P sucks so mobile games are all shallow shit with microtransactions" to the entire platform. It's like if you were to judge all of PC gaming based on some poor flash games

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sadly, it's so common that it's the norm. It would be unbelievable for me if they had decided to release a paid game without IAP. Thankfully there are more than enough great games that don't have IAP or are just free with an unlock or ad remover that I don't pay any attention to EA's games. It's annoying to see people look at this game and then apply that "F2P sucks so mobile games are all shallow shit with microtrandactions" to the entire platform. It's like if you were to judge all of PC gaming based on some poor flash games
Most tend to forget that EA isn't necessarily targeting their existing console or PC customer base with these games, they're after the people who play the mobile games more or less exclusively - at which EA is very successful at doing so.

Naturally the ideal world would have games on the platform that caters to both audiences but that's not really a realistic business.

Drake

This is hilarious because I made a joke about this exact thing in a thread about evil DLC a while back. The idea was so absurd I never thought companies would stoop that low. Never underestimate EA!

when mobile gaming has produced something like this (that isn't a port of an existing thing)

http://www.twitch.tv/mtmbstudios/c/4452645

get back to me
Video's not loading for me. Null Divide, right?

Inferno 2 is similar, a dual stick shooter mixed with dungeon crawler (skills to level up and upgrade, customizable loadout, maze-like maps with gates and secrets to unlock and find, hordes of varied enemies and bosses to avoid or fight off)

Video's not loading for me. Null Divide, right?

Inferno 2 is similar, a dual stick shooter mixed with dungeon crawler (skills to level up and upgrade, customizable loadout, maze-like maps with gates and secrets to unlock and find, hordes of varied enemies and bosses to avoid or fight off)

No, it is a link to metal slug, I will change the link to my YouTube one

Also Inferno 2 while original to the platform is a pretty much direct sequel of an XBLIG game.

Storm360

I wish my real life car would get more gas if I just let it sit there

This is why I don't like mobile gaming, I'd rather buy a game flatout than keep buying top ups

fhqwhgads

The big difference between Arcades and F2P Mobile is that Arcades were based on skill, the only time you needed to spend money was if you lost at the game. With Mobile, everyone has to wait. There's always a time your game is going to be brought to a halt because of the in-game timer, often forcing people to pay to bypass the timer.

I never understood this comparison. On a single quarter (or however much it cost you to play that specific arcade) you could play it from start to finish, assuming that you knew what you were doing. There's no chance of doing that with these games as they're built to either make you pay up or stop playing until your fuel refills.

Enosh

The future of in-game monetization right there.
I would not be surprised if this kind of stuff happens on the next NFS for PC and consoles.
Micro-transactions apparently are a very important stream of revenue.
didn't MS try this in their launch games? think everyone of them had some kind of monetization, iirc reaction wasn't the best, didn't they latter end up removing it from some titles? not following xbox one news that closely

console audience mostly isn't the same as the f2p one, overall I don't think stuff like this will gain much traction, especially not in 60$ games, but then again DLC got accepted so meh, although that mostly just adds to the game and you aren't restricted in playing it without it (even if sometimes adds stuff that was taken out the previous day...)

The big difference between Arcades and F2P Mobile is that Arcades were based on skill, the only time you needed to spend money was if you lost at the game. With Mobile, everyone has to wait. There's always a time your game is going to be brought to a halt because of the in-game timer, often forcing people to pay to bypass the timer.

While contact with enemies reduces the player's health, health also slowly drains on its own, thus creating a time limit. When a character's health reaches zero, that character dies. The character can be revived in place with full health by spending a game credit (i.e. inserting a coin) within a certain short time window after it died. This allows even the least proficient players to keep playing indefinitely, if they are willing to keep inserting coins.

I'll give you three guesses as to what game this is. Hint: You can't insert coins into your phone.

I never understood this comparison. On a single quarter (or however much it cost you to play that specific arcade) you could play it from start to finish, assuming that you knew what you were doing. There's no chance of doing that with these games as they're built to either make you pay up or stop playing until your fuel refills.

The way game play was designed in a lot of these old school arcade games was to be so cheap and unfair that it frustrated people into putting more and more money in. By the time you got good enough to beat a game on one quarter how much money did you have to spend on trial and error? This was the business model back then, not all that different from now. They sold their games to arcade operators on the promise that it would get people to pump more and more money in. That was priority number 1 and they were designed around it a lot of the time.

Gauntlet, which was a shit game. This wasn't industry-standard design in the arcade era, however.

So there were shit arcade games and good arcade games, just like there are shit mobile games and good mobile games. I'm not defending the practice of this king of F2P shit as bad. I don't play mobile games with timers and these kinds of IAP. Personal preference. There are good examples of F2P and mobile gaming. I'm saying there has always been shitty money grubbing practices in this industry and this latest one isn't going to cause the sky to fall.

Top Bottom