• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

early Man of Steel impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I love how they point out NDA, as if my "review" (more like general feelings about the experience) is anything substantial. I know what I'm allowed to say. It's a good film, not great. And my impressions indicate about as much.

Here's my ranking of it after sitting on it for a while:

1. Batman Begins
2. The Dark Knight
3. Unbreakable
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. X-Men 2
6. Man of Steel
7. Iron Man
8. The Avengers

My top 5 is pretty solid for me as I've seen the movies enough times (also biased towards X-Men 2, as it was awesome when younger). I don't remember Iron Man that well (been four years since I watched it), so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt over Avengers, which was fun, but ultimately shallow. I do remember having good impressions of Iron Man. I think Iron Man and Man of Steel could be interchangeable for me. I'll have to do a re-watch of each one later in the year to decide which one wins out.

The above are the only good DC/Marvel superhero movies in my eyes. Rest are average or crap. I won't bother including the original Donner Superman because it's a different beast, but also really good for its time. However, my nostalgia blinds me from trying to rank it. It's awesome, and I don't want to really compare it to anything.

Does Blade count? Not really a traditional superhero, but I know he is from Marvel.
Oh you liked TDKR? Gaf is going to take your opinion with a grain of salt now!

I liked it too

effzee

Why does that matter? Since when I am an authority on other peoples taste? Taste is subjective, and you'll enjoy things for a variety of reasons. I legitimately think it's a better movie, even with some of its flaws. I'm also sure more people would likely agree with that sentiment than not so it's not an out there opinion by any means. A movie that has had general great fan and critical reception isn't middling-average by most accounts. Plus, GAF is not one focused entity. I think there's plenty of people on here who would understand and agree with that assessment.

Didn't you hear? Apparently only 2-3 people liked TDKR and GAF an an entity has decided the movie sucks and as a result Nolan does too.

ReiGun

I'm with you. Let the Christ elements (which will undoubtedly be there given who he is) remain subtle and don't be so in-your-face about it like Returns was. I prefer the story of an alien coming onto foreign soil who has to decide what he wants to do with his power - whether that means helping humanity passively, taking on an authoritative figure, or keeping his powers hidden and live normally among humans.

I like that.

For me, I've always liked it when stories recognize the innate humanity in Superman that comes from his upbringing. He didn't grow up heir to a huge fortune or on an island isolated from most of society. He grew up in the middle bumfuck nowhere Kansas and had a normal childhood until one day he started shooting lasers from his eyes. In my mind, Clark Kent is a mostly normal dude who has to reconcile the fact that he's one of the most powerful people on Earth and an alien. He becomes Superman because he sees his abilities as a chance to help people, which is something he deeply values being able to do. He continues his life as Clark Kent because that's who he really is. He uses the Fortress and his father's records to learn more about his Kryptonian side because he understands it is an important part of him and he does regret not getting to see his homeworld.

There's a lot of humanity there, but some folks forget that and start in on him being so alien and different and above normal people all the time and it removes so much of what makes the character work for me.

Whats all this nonsense about Singer being a dope and Superman Returns sucking? Its a better Superman IV than Superman IV! I know that's not saying much, but still.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I thought Elite was just ok... the villain wasn't that good but supes characterization was pretty great. I hated the art though.

I agree that the art was pretty weak. I also agree that Superman's characterization was pretty good. I did like the final act, and how it all comes together. Overall, though, I didn't like it as much as some other Superman cartoons I've seen.

The thing is, I don't hate Superman, I just think he isn't handled that well, and I think that's more to do with his status as an Icon for DC, than it is all just his fault. It's hard for DC and Marvel to shake up their tentpole characters much, because of what they mean for "the brand." And then, when they do attempt to shake things up, it's for marketing/headline grab/flagging sales reasons. In my mind, that makes the status quo change meaningless, because we know it'll only last as long as it takes for the sales to plateau again, and a new "forever change the status quo!" storyline to happen.

Anyway, the impressions of this movie sound great, and I'm definitely going to check it out when it releases. I've seen every Superman movie released so far, why would I stop now, especially when it looks like this one is going to do live action Superman justice?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Maybe the batman cartoons did right by Batman, but the Superman cartoon did not do as well and the Justice League and JLU didn't really flesh out any Superman storylines - they just used his rogues gallery for the most part.

Man what? With the exception of season 1 of Justice League, animated Superman was fucking awesome.

Flash

I agree that the art was pretty weak. I also agree that Superman's characterization was pretty good. I did like the final act, and how it all comes together. Overall, though, I didn't like it as much as some other Superman cartoons I've seen.

The thing is, I don't hate Superman, I just think he isn't handled that well, and I think that's more to do with his status as an Icon for DC, than it is all just his fault. It's hard for DC and Marvel to shake up their tentpole characters much, because of what they mean for "the brand." And then, when they do attempt to shake things up, it's for marketing/headline grab/flagging sales reasons. In my mind, that makes the status quo change meaningless, because we know it'll only last as long as it takes for the sales to plateau again, and a new "forever change the status quo!" storyline to happen.

Anyway, the impressions of this movie sound great, and I'm definitely going to check it out when it releases. I've seen every Superman movie released so far, why would I stop now, especially when it looks like this one is going to do live action Superman justice?

WB/DC has handled Superman so unbelievably poorly. I don't blame people for thinking he sucks - in an age where almost every major superhero has their own hollywood film release, DC somehow missed the boat on everyone save for Batman. So audiences think Superman is boring, a boy scout, etc. And this is especially detrimental to his character because film is the main media audiences are exposed to -Not everyone reads comics or watches cartoons from the 90s.

There has been only one characterization of Superman since 1978 in film - why somebody thought that a characterization of someone from that time would hold up in 2006 is something that still baffles me. And then people go on about how Lex Luthor is a horrible villain. Are you kidding me? Lex is Superman's greatest foe... how Lex perceives Superman is Superman's greatest fear yet still in the realm of possibility. But like Superman, his characterization as a real estate scam artist remained unchanged from the Donnerverse film until now.

Superman should have had his own film in the 90s, where they could have gone through a learning phase as to how they should portray him to audiences. Returns should have never had happened - it was way too fan servicey of a film that happened over 20 years ago. And don't get me wrong, nostalgia can be great and all, but seeing that there was no major release from that period till now it was such an idiotic decision.

shira

Man what? With the exception of season 1 of Justice League, animated Superman was fucking awesome.

No, it's great, I don't think people watched it though

The argument was Timm Superman vs Welling Superman - what did the 15-35 audience watch more?

Simo

This cropped over Twitter via Latino Review:
Cool...Got an email saying "Saw MAN OF STEEL, FUCKING LOVED IT!!" Can't wait to see it, big Superman fan.

...and then somebody over on GameFAQS chimed in around the same time (wee early hours this morning) about getting back from a screening and is taking questions:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/227-movies-at-the-theater/65632630

What he said when asked if theres less SLO MO compared Snyder's previous films:
Compared to Watchmen and Sucker Punch, definitely. I think he was aiming for more normal paced fights and saved the slo-mo shots for more devastating hits in the fights.

On how he ranks it and the story:
Definitely the best Superman film in terms of action and acting. (Sorry but the Reeves films were pretty corny in comparison.)

The story was great. It was definitely different from other Superman movies and even the animated series. It showed
how he felt different all his life even as a young kid and his reluctance to become Superman but accepted it when he knew the world needed someone to defend it.
(I know people will be say "Well that's what Smallville accomplished". Well this movie conveyed that in a considerably less amount of time with more emotion than the 10 years Smallville attempted to do. And I say that even though I enjoyed Smallville.)

On Zod:
And Zod was amazing. I initially had doubts on Michael Shannon cause I didn't see him as physically imposing but his acting in Boardwalk Empire is amazing.
Overall he was incredible in MoS. He just oozed hatred toward Superman and Jor-El. Just minor things as the way he stared at Superman was downright spine tingling.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
WB/DC has handled Superman so unbelievably poorly. I don't blame people for thinking he sucks - in an age where almost every major superhero has their own hollywood film release, DC somehow missed the boat on everyone save for Batman. So audiences think Superman is boring, a boy scout, etc. And this is especially detrimental to his character because film is the main media audiences are exposed to -Not everyone reads comics or watches cartoons from the 90s.

There has been only one characterization of Superman since 1978 in film - why somebody thought that a characterization of someone from that time would hold up in 2006 is something that still baffles me. And then people go on about how Lex Luthor is a horrible villain. Are you kidding me? Lex is Superman's greatest foe... how Lex perceives Superman is Superman's greatest fear yet still in the realm of possibility. But like Superman, his characterization as a real estate scam artist remained unchanged from the Donnerverse film until now.

Superman should have had his own film in the 90s, where they could have gone through a learning phase as to how they should portray him to audiences. Returns should have never had happened - it was way too fan servicey of a film that happened over 20 years ago. And don't get me wrong, nostalgia can be great and all, but seeing that there was no major release from that period till now it was such an idiotic decision.

I agree 100%. I actually enjoyed Returns for the fanservice to the Donner films (which I really do love), but as an updated Superman film, it was terrible.

I really like Bryan Singer, but I think the problem with Returns was that they got a director who was more in love with the Donner film, than he was with the Superman character himself.

I think Snyder doesn't have that problem. He doesn't seem to be slobberingly in love with the Donner films, and is carving a new take on Supes that I hope works out for him. I think he can be a great character in film.

I look at Superman a lot like I looked at Captain America; an outdated character that I simply had no interest in. I really, really loved the Captain America movie, and I liked that the filmmaker's embraced Cap's full origin, including his run as American propaganda. Film Cap is now one of my favorites in the Marvel cinematic universe.

It would be great if this new Superman movie can change my thoughts on Superman in the same way.

Simo

So uh the GameFAQs guy is back and dropping specific details from the screening he attended. Specifics start on page 3 but here's one of the less spoilery ones:
During his fight with Zod, they did an amazing job of giving super speed a dual perspective. In Supes' and Zod's eyes, they were fighting slow but as the citizens of Metropolis watched it looked like something straight out of DBZ.

Hype...reaching critical mass...

Maybe Verendus can validate any of these?

BadAss2961

During his fight with Zod, they did an amazing job of giving super speed a dual perspective. In Supes' and Zod's eyes, they were fighting slow but as the citizens of Metropolis watched it looked like something straight out of DBZ.
I like it, but DBZ did do that all the time. lol

Simo

Via Poni_Boy/DailyBLAM on Twitter:
Just got ridiculously positive Man of Steel feedback from the only person who I always see eye to eye with on movies

She cried twice. Said it's not as dark as people are making it out to be. And that it trumps Nolan's Batman trilogy by leaps and bounds.

The timing is interesting as the last 24 hours saw feedback and thus the possible screening that could of included Poni_Boy's source and the GameFAQs guy....?

Flash

lol Nolan's Batman trilogy is pretty great... top of the genre IMO. The hate for TDKR is comical and filled with so much hyperbole...even if it wasn't as good as BB and TDK, the trilogy as a whole was pretty damn good.

I don't expect MoS to be better than that. I'm hoping it's at least close though.

corny ass impressions. sure the film may be good but i don't believe any of this until the reviews are out and i see the film myself.

"cried twice" lol

She cried twice

tumblr_mg20m4x9R71rfobieo1_400.gif

Jarmel

Banned
I don't understand the complaints about potential slo-mo.

Slow-mo is MEANT for a Superman movie... it can show the true speed and brute strength of every thrown punch or impact.

http://youtu.be/Cl_5UwS57X8?t=1m28s

would you have any objections to seeing something like that on the big screen? If there's one I'm confident of, it's that the action/fighting scenes are going to be amazing

Doesn't he get his ass beat in that fight afterwards?

Ugh, I hope the character is portrayed well for once. Batman was great in begins, but he dragged TDK way down and while better in TDKR, he couldn't save the film.

Initial impressions seem good, but i'll have to wait for people who's taste I can trust before I see it.

So I just got back from a test screening here in Sydney, and I think it's safe to say that it's as if Barry Lyndon and 2001 had sex, and the resulting baby was born with an abnormal amount of chromosomes due to the cinematic incest and suffered from Black Hawk Down Syndrome. Fortunately, the film's handicap turned out to be a kind of genius like Simon in Mercury Rising, and the resulting piece of work - while not immediately clear, offers up something profound for those willing to probe, participate and endure Snyder's process. It might be the first neo-realistic film to garner widespread appraisal outside of Italy in a way Fellini never dreamed. Neo-neo-realism, if you will.

With Man of Steel, Snyder does it again.

Dahbomb

So I just got back from a test screening here in Sydney, and I think it's safe to say that it's as if Barry Lyndon and 2001 had sex, and the resulting baby was born with an abnormal amount of chromosomes due to the cinematic incest and suffered from Black Hawk Down Syndrome. Fortunately, the film's handicap turned out to be a kind of genius like Simon in Mercury Rising, and the resulting piece of work - while not immediately clear, offers up something profound for those willing to probe, participate and endure Snyder's process. It might be the first neo-realistic film to garner widespread appraisal outside of Italy in a way Fellini never dreamed. Neo-neo-realism, if you will.

Needs more Citizen Kane references.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Sheldon?

I saw this about two weeks ago, by accident pretty much. Had to sacrifice a sneak peek at something else, but glad to say I don't regret it. I'll keep my impressions as spoiler free as possible.

I'm not a comic fan just so you know. My exposure to Superman is from the original Donner movies, then the Justice League cartoons. Also, he's still a pussy, This movie doesn't change that!

The movie is good, and entertaining. I don't think I'll use hyperbole of calling it the best movie of the year two months in, but it's a top five, if not top three, superhero movie. I imagine Superman fans are going to really love this, unless somehow people don't like this characterisation of Clark Kent/Superman. Which if you don't, then I don't know what to say. I think this is the best live action version of Superman and it does a great job of making him feel relatable. Just so you know, I consider Batman Begins the cream of the crop and the best superhero movie.

For fans of the Nolan Batman trilogy, you'll take to this quite quickly, like I did. It has a very similar feel to a Nolan movie. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise since Nolan was involved, but I thought his involvement wasn't that great supposedly. Either way, it does genuinely feel similar in style when it comes to the storytelling. The one it holds most similarity to is Batman Begins. Not too much of a surprise since it's also an origin story, but it's also tightly told which is the key point. It doesn't move as swiftly as Batman Begins did, but it's still really nicely paced. Like Batman Begins, it's a reserved and more character focused tale, but it also has comic elements. I'd say it's just slightly less serious/grounded than that movie.

The story is simple, and executed better for it. You're basically presented Clark Kent as a boy/man going through changes and having an internal conflict about his identity. This character arc has a two step resolution.
The first is him coming to terms with his role as a potential protector of humanity, a conflict fueled by various events in his life, which brings us the first amazing and climactic point of the movie with the birth of Superman. The second is the reality of the existence of Superman on humanity and him coming to peace with what that means for him and how he is perceived. This obviously brings us the major climax of the movie, supported by an ass whooping.

The action is great in the movie. There is fair bit of it. It feels like The Matrix. By that, I mean it's quite over the top. This is good because it's Superman. There are a lot of little touches that are shown by Henry Cavill which give more gravitas to the vulnerability of Superman. Moments where he's shaken or staggered. They're just cool moments. The action is both slow and fast which gives an effect of something superhuman occurring. In terms of action,
there are about four major setpieces. Then there are a lot of little action moments in between.
It really does feel like the first time Superman has been done justice in live action. There is one moment near the end where you will go, this is fucking Superman. It's basically the climactic moment. I'll have to re-watch Avengers, but I think I enjoyed the action in this movie more than any other superhero movie because it just had a lot of weight behind it.

You want Superman to succeed.

Henry Cavill is Superman to me now. I like his take on the character. I don't really care necessarily how Superman/Clark Kent is in the comics. But Henry has a really good performance and brings a new Superman for the modern era. One who is powerful, strong, and inhumane in ability, yet also relatable and earns our sympathy. Also, he looks so much more awesome with the beard. It would be amazing having a Superman with a beard. Let him be clean shaven as Clark Kent, but then when he goes all manly and turns into Superman, he grows a beard instantly too. You get used to seeing Cavill without the beard, but it's so weird. Like he was born to have that beard.

Also, damn Zod is badass. Too badass. He comes out with some next level quotes. I don't even--

The weakest aspect of this movie is the Lois Lane/Clark Kent/Superman relationship. I don't think Amy Adams turned in a bad performance, but in a movie which is quite tight and focused, this aspect was the weakest link. It kind of sticks out. The character on her own is fine, and her little crew are a very pleasant addition, but I think they could've stopped going Hollywood and left a little of the relationship development to a second movie.

Supporting cast is strong. Kevin Costner is really cool. The My-Cocaine of this movie. He's not in it very long, but maybe I like those father figure characters. Also, Morpheus being all Morpheus and being pretty cool again.

The music is very nice. At times slow and emotional, and at others sweeping and epic. The new theme is good. Different, but good. It fits the Man of Steel.

I think I chose to compare this to Batman Begins for a few reasons. It feels similar, it's also character focused, and it does a fantastic job of making you anticipate the next movie. There is a nice blend of serious character focus, and lighthearted humour in the movie. The villains for the sequel are somewhat hinted, and this is a really strong first outing. I'm definitely curious to see what happens with the sequel. They could make an amazing movie like The Dark Knight, or like Iron Man 2, turn out a pile of crap after a solid first movie. Who knows, but as it stands, there will be hyperbole when people see this move. I'm sure of it. That's because it's good, and one of the best superhero movies. More importantly, it's brought Superman from being that little pussy who is always in the shadow of the Goddamn Batman, to more of an equal standing.

Also, MAJOR MAJOR SPOILER DO NOT READ UNLESS YOUR HEART IS READY BECAUSE YOU MAY REGRET:

There is no JGL in this movie. The most relief I've experienced when watching a movie. Why? Because fuck John Blake. He's a shit character. Those rumours had me very wary.

I think Warner Bros. has a hit on its hands. I don't think another billion grossing movie is out of the question if word of mouth is good like I think it will be. If this movie bombs, we may as well not bother with Superman in the future. This is pretty much as good as it gets for a foundation laying movie.

Also, I am more convinced now than ever that WB should not focus on the Justice League.

Batman and Superman is where it's at. Do not waste time with the others. It's time to reboot Batman and bring a team-up movie with these two. The universe of Man of Steel has a nice mix of fantastical elements that we could get Batman with his full rogue gallery in it. This movie would be ridiculously huge. Most importantly, with a Batman/Superman movie, you can still bring what both Batman Begins and Man of Steel do better than any other superhero movie, which is earning your emotional engagement. There is a chance of a great movie with a solid story and some amazing action.

I will begin hoping now.

Jesus. First you've got IGN using you as an official source for Final Fantasy Versus 13 rumors, and now this?

Who ARE you?

1. Batman Begins
2. The Dark Knight
3. Unbreakable
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. X-Men 2
6. Man of Steel
7. Iron Man
8. The Avengers

I obviously haven't seen the movie yet, but I totally agree with that ranking for everything else. Iron Man and The Avengers should be several rungs below the Batmans.

Jarmel

Banned
The superspeed depiction is straight up hype. It seems someone finally got that right. I might rewatch the movie multiple times for that reason alone.

Angry Fork

I am very worried about Zimmer and Lois. Lois needs to be like either the one in the animated TV show or Smallville. Damsel in distress needs to be kept down to a minimum, spunky/sarcastic/guarded emotions to the maximum. I just don't see Amy Adams playing that kind of role though, she has one of those quaint/cute hometown girl faces not sexy risk taker.

And Zimmer sucks at themes. Superman deserves a real theme like Williams can do, not 2 note high octane repetitive highway chase shit.

I am expecting the script to be bad since it's Goyer on his own. That I have already accepted. If the script turns out to be good I will be convinced someone ghost wrote it or one of the Nolan brothers helped write (helped meaning did almost all of the dialogue) but is uncredited.

Can the guy who saw it go into a bit more detail on this without spoilers? Thanks.

Hero

I love how they point out NDA, as if my "review" (more like general feelings about the experience) is anything substantial. I know what I'm allowed to say. It's a good film, not great. And my impressions indicate about as much.

1. Batman Begins
2. The Dark Knight
3. Unbreakable
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. X-Men 2
6. Man of Steel
7. Iron Man
8. The Avengers

TDKR at number 4? Iron Man at 7 and Avengers at 8? No Spider-man 2?

I mean, opinions and all but yeesh.

Superman on film will finally be reborn through this movie. Every Marvel movie except Blade, Blade 2, and Spidey 2 is average at best.

throw in spiderman 1, xmen 2 and punisher warzone (i'm serious) and i'll agree with you.

and all the ones i listed (as well as you) are better than dark knight rises...except for blade 2

throw in spiderman 1, xmen 2 and punisher warzone (i'm serious) and i'll agree with you.

and all the ones i listed (as well as you) are better than dark knight rises...except for blade 2

Warzone is criminally underrated. Stevenson puts in an amazingly accurate portrayal as Castle, it's such a shame it didn't do well.

Although I feel the decision to go with Jigsaw as the villain was a poor one. Not sure who I would have chosen though. Kraven perhaps? Tombstone? They did the Russian (quite poorly I might add) in the Jane Punisher movie, so he was out for obvious reasons.

i hope warzone gets a second look around here considering how much people loved dredd

edit: i thought jigsaw was wonderfully campy as hell.

BadAss2961

I guess it'll take GAF a few years to realize how good Rises is.

I haven't seen Warzone. Totally forgot it even existed. I'll check it out when I get the chance.

lmao, i remember when those dorks were doing parkour and i was just like "oh man fuck these guys"

...and then that happened

edit: rises has cool ideas but i think bane is just way too corny when taking into account the wonderful villains in the first two, the tone is just off in comparison too. if the film stood on it's own it would be merely decent. but because it's part of the trilogy it just looks even goofier when looking at the prior films. and the pacing is just so off.

there were so many scenes in the film where i was just hoping he'd do something different.

BadAss2961

rises has cool ideas but i think bane is just way too corny when taking into account the wonderful villains in the first two, the tone is just off in comparison too. if the film stood on it's own it would be merely decent. but because it's part of the trilogy it just looks even goofier when looking at the prior films. and the pacing is just so off.

there were so many scenes in the film where i was just hoping he'd do something different.
I thought they nailed it with Bane. A great take on the character, and at the same time, not quite what anyone would've expected. He had strong presence in every scene, and the sewer fight is the height of the trilogy imo. Joker interrogation not far behind.

I thought they nailed it with Bane. A great take on the character, and at the same time, not quite what anyone would've expected. He had strong presence in every scene, and the sewer fight is the height of the trilogy imo. Joker interrogation not far behind.

Agreed. I'll go a step further and say that that sewer fight is the best hero vs villain encounter in ANY superhero film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom