• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

early Man of Steel impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh you liked TDKR? Gaf is going to take your opinion with a grain of salt now!

I liked it too

1. Batman Begins
2. TDKR
3. TDK
4. Batman Returns
5. Iron Man
6. Avengers
7. Spider-Man 1
8. Captain America
9. X-Men 1
10. X-Men First Class
11. Batman

LOL
Based on enjoyment, not actual quality.

TDKR will be hard to top, those
final 6+ minutes
are probably my favorite ever in a movie.
Batman's first appearance & the pit being my favorite 'hero scenes' of a superhero movie.

javac

How come you didn't enjoy Spiderman 2? Judging by your list I'd have thought it would have been you're cup of tea. Is all good however, having Batman begins at number one is something I can always get behind, such an amazing experience of the transformation of Bruce Wayne into the caped crusader.

Dabanton

I guess it'll take GAF a few years to realize how good Rises is.

The film was good until people saw it a few times and the holes started to appear.The problem is it feels extremely rushed. I will say again that Nolan should have split the film into two parts to give them room to breathe.

You never get a true sense of time in the movie and of Batman's journey. It was a real missed opportunity. It's still watchable but I could never say it's really good.

FlyFaster

There are some pretty anticlimactic scenes TDKR the movie and a ton of holes. I don't want to get in trouble for spoilers or I'd go into more detail.

anyway, I won't ever come around to liking it. The whole movie was falling apart almost from the get go.

The first 2 movies are good though. This is coming from a non-batman fan. Have never been able to fully take his batman voice or the suit seriously.

Iron Man is the best, hands down imo.

Anyway, I am very excited for SuperMan he's always been in my top 3 to 5 heroes.

javac

The film was good until people saw it a few times and the holes started to appear.The problem is it feels extremely rushed. I will say again that Nolan should have split the film into two parts to give them room to breathe.

You never get a true sense of time in the movie and of Batman's journey. It was a real missed opportunity. It's still watchable but I could never say it's really good.

Part one should have been the start of Bane's plan, getting everything together and letting the audience get to know the new characters, ending with batman getting put in the pit.

Part two should have been Bruce getting out of the pit, getting back to Gotham while Bane causing havoc and Bruce training and having the final fight.

How come you didn't enjoy Spiderman 2? Judging by your list I'd have thought it would have been you're cup of tea. Is all good however, having Batman begins at number one is something I can always get behind, such an amazing experience of the transformation of Bruce Wayne into the caped crusader.

I don't really know,
I just didn't like Doc Ock as much as Green Goblin and I think 1 just had more of a wow factor.
I will say 2 is better quality wise though.

Begins is just special imo.
I only like Mask of the Phantasm better though I don't count it.
Begins just had everything for me, most enjoyment combined with the best quality.

It was good enough for a lot of people to go out of their way to watch it enough times to tear it apart. That makes it good.

How often do people willingly sit through ~3 hour films multiple times? Think people did that with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

tino

Banned

TDKR feels like the script had major revisions before it was filmed. The holes in the script are not only big but ridiculous. The climbing bit never worked, either.

Actually this movie lost me from the beginning when the CIA guy didn't bother to open the face mask before he took the "Bain guys" in. Such a dumb scene.

Jarmel

Banned
TDKR feels like the script had major revisions before it was filmed. The holes in the script are not only big but ridiculous. The climbing bit never worked, either.

Actually this movie lost me from the beginning when the CIA guy didn't bother to open the face mask before he took the "Bain guys" in. Such a dumb scene.

TKDR suffers from editing and pacing issues where it seems a complete version would make it leagues better.

Raptor

So I just got back from a test screening here in Sydney, and I think it's safe to say that it's as if Barry Lyndon and 2001 had sex, and the resulting baby was born with an abnormal amount of chromosomes due to the cinematic incest and suffered from Black Hawk Down Syndrome. Fortunately, the film's handicap turned out to be a kind of genius like Simon in Mercury Rising, and the resulting piece of work - while not immediately clear, offers up something profound for those willing to probe, participate and endure Snyder's process. It might be the first neo-realistic film to garner widespread appraisal outside of Italy in a way Fellini never dreamed. Neo-neo-realism, if you will.

With Man of Steel, Snyder does it again.

I don't understand a single thing in this mini review.

Is it good? bad? so so?

:D

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Punisher Warzone is awesome.

I think I watched it randomly when it was on Netflix. Me and my wife were surprised at how much we enjoyed it. It actually felt like The Punisher.

Blade really doesn't get enough love. I loved the first 2.

Verendus

Banned
TDKR at number 4? Iron Man at 7 and Avengers at 8? No Spider-man 2?

I mean, opinions and all but yeesh.
Original Spider-Man trilogy is mediocre. One okay movie sandwiched between two crap ones. So yeah, no Spider-Man 2 anywhere.

Those are the only superhero DC/Marvel movies I've seen which I consider to be good. I'd put in Blade and Blade 2, but I don't think those probably count for most people since he's not a traditional superhero.

So uh the GameFAQs guy is back and dropping specific details from the screening he attended. Specifics start on page 3 but here's one of the less spoilery ones:

Hype...reaching critical mass...

Maybe Verendus can validate any of these?
The action is a mix of slow and fast to give the effect of superhumans battling, which I mentioned in my impressions. It works really well. Like The Matrix, or Dragonball Z, I guess.

Someone will inevitably dub this movie in Dragonball Z. It's ripe for abuse. If you do, just know you got the idea from this post. I willed it. I would recommend Saiyan Saga. It would actually work really well.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
they seem to have nailed the only interesting part about a Superman movie: the arse kicking

sounds good

1. Batman Begins
2. TDKR
3. TDK
4. Batman Returns
5. Iron Man
6. Avengers
7. Spider-Man 1
8. Captain America
9. X-Men 1
10. X-Men First Class
11. Batman

LOL

final 6+ minutes
Batman's first appearance & the pit being my favorite 'hero scenes' of a superhero movie.

I respect everything you said. You have class, and you have taste.

Those lat 6 min of TDKR were some of the best I have ever seen.

Flash

Chronicle is probably one of my favourite superhero films. Probably cause I had no idea it was an origins film.

t-ramp

I was looking through this summer's release schedule, and am pretty excited. Realized Man of Steel comes out on my brother's birthday, which is a perfect excuse to see it day one. Excellent.

Sephzilla

1. Batman Begins
2. TDKR
3. TDK
4. Batman Returns
5. Iron Man
6. Avengers
7. Spider-Man 1
8. Captain America
9. X-Men 1
10. X-Men First Class
11. Batman

LOL

final 6+ minutes

Hmmm, my list is similar, just different orders.

1- Avengers
2- Batman Begins
3- Iron Man
4- Batman '89
5- Captain America
6- X-Men 2
7- The Dark Knight
8- Spider-Man 1
9- X-Men First Class
10- Blade 2

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
75g5vbB.jpg

Loving the new pic there. All I can think about when I see "It's time for a change" is Owen Hart lol.

The only thing to me is, Lois Lane is just not attractive at all. She wasn't in Returns, but I daresay she is even less so in this new film. I just can't see it. Teri Hatcher and Erica Durance have ruined all future Lois' for me.

Zzoram

Loving the new pic there. All I can think about when I see "It's time for a change" is Owen Hart lol.

The only thing to me is, Lois Lane is just not attractive at all. She wasn't in Returns, but I daresay she is even less so in this new film. I just can't see it. Teri Hatcher and Erica Durance have ruined all future Lois' for me.

You don't think Amy Adams is attractive? What?

Many people think Amy Adams is very attractive. I'm one of them.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
TDKR was boring. Not a "bad" movie, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Avengers may have been cheesy (and whatever other billion flaws you guys will probably point out) but it was WAY more fun and entertaining as a super hero movie.

Plus Anne Hathaway sucked as Catwoman. Team Pfeiffer for life!

BadAss2961

Many people think Amy Adams is very attractive. I'm one of them.
She's cute, but doesn't look like she'd be the Lois that most of us would prefer. She just seems to fit the damsel in distress look more than if they were going for an entertaining character in her own right. But I could be wrong.

I like the sass and sexiness of the animated series Lois.

effzee

You can pick apart everything like that in most action/comic book movie.

The whole pencil bit with the Joker never made any sense. The opening bank heist with the bus in broad day light leaving the bank.

Again if you go back and watch all three movies (or any superhero movie) you can pick apart so many little things. And that's the problem, we love our super hero movies and then watch them over and over and then of course 4-5th time things that didn't bother you or never popped up now do. Just depends if you liked the overall movie and what it was trying to accomplish.

That's why I don't get how people who don't like TDKR act like its because of little details like what you mentioned that took them out of it. What? From the opening scene? Seriously? I refuse to believe anyone who noticed that, knew there was almost 3 hours movie to follow, and from that decided the movie won't be good or lost enjoyment. More like you didn't enjoy the overall movie so things like what you mentioned stood out more.

Of all the characters that repeated themselves between the two Batman movie franchises, no character was played more differently than the two Catwomans. Well her and Gordon maybe.

Pfeiffer played her role perfectly. Extremely sexy too. But her Catwoman was such a weird departure from the actual character. She became Catwoman because her cats licked her into becoming a cat or something. WTF?

The Catwoman Anne played was far closer to the actual character.

So I just got back from a test screening here in Sydney, and I think it's safe to say that it's as if Barry Lyndon and 2001 had sex, and the resulting baby was born with an abnormal amount of chromosomes due to the cinematic incest and suffered from Black Hawk Down Syndrome. Fortunately, the film's handicap turned out to be a kind of genius like Simon in Mercury Rising, and the resulting piece of work - while not immediately clear, offers up something profound for those willing to probe, participate and endure Snyder's process. It might be the first neo-realistic film to garner widespread appraisal outside of Italy in a way Fellini never dreamed. Neo-neo-realism, if you will.

What?

Holy shit!

I don't get it at all!

TDKR was boring. Not a "bad" movie, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Avengers may have been cheesy (and whatever other billion flaws you guys will probably point out) but it was WAY more fun and entertaining as a super hero movie.

Avengers was boring as hell too until the last 30 minutes

Dredd was the best comic film last year hands down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom