• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2017 (Vita) confirmed for North American release

Afrikan

One preview I read said it did just fine, no slowdowns or anything. Lower overall image quality to the PS3 version, but otherwise solid. Cannot recall where I read that though.

Lower overall image quality to the PS3 version

PS3 version

omg-rage-face.jpg

Famassu

What is the appeal of this series? So bad it's good? I've played it and just find it to be awful.
There's definitely a kind of B movie charm in these games, but I don't agree with you. EDF games aren't BAD gameplay-wise, just simple & straightforward. I've had more fun fighting massive hordes of insects & robots & shit than with Uncharted or Gears of War, especially in coop.

One preview I read said it did just fine, no slowdowns or anything. Lower overall image quality to the PS3 version, but otherwise solid. Cannot recall where I read that though.

PS3 version? What PS3 version? This is EDF 2017, not EDF Insect Armageddon which wasn't even close to being the same game.

EDF 2017 pushed out a TON of stuff that made the 360 struggle. I'd take that no slowdown thing with a huge grain of salt because I have a hard time imagining the Vita being able to do something like levels 49-53 without any kind of a performance hitch.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Nice, EDF, has a nice ring to it.

it's so nice to hear news about niche japanese game localization, anyone think someone in Sony has something to do with it? maybe lowering the fee to release game on western market? not too long ago, even a more high profile psp game didn't get localized

bede-x

EDF 2017 pushed out a TON of stuff that made the 360 struggle. I'd take that no slowdown thing with a huge grain of salt because I have a hard time imagining the Vita being able to do something like levels 49-53 without any kind of a performance hitch.

To be fair there was tons of slowdown in the 360 version without affecting the enjoyment much(imo). Seeing the hardware brought to its knees made you realise how much you were up against. And no, I'm not trying to sell the slowdown as a feature like some of the Cave game ports. Just saying the game worked well with it.

And four player online coop? Mindblowing(even though it will tax the Vita hardware even further).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
YES!

That's a hallmark of the series.
Single digit FPS in EDF 2. So good.

Brashnir

Nice. I think there are a few more weapons too for the Stormer guy.

Slowdown is still definitely a part of the game so I don't know why anyone would say it's buttery smooth.

EDF is always buttery smooth until it's not.

and then it ends up in seconds-per-frame territory in a hurry.

You're destroying buildings and blowing up giant bugs with absurdly overpowered weapons. What's not to like?

That's fun for the first 10 minutes, but what really keeps people playing is the loot, the strategic elements of choosing which 2 weapons to equip, and using those to progress through the 2 highest difficulty levels.

These things work because the missions themselves are short and simple.

To be fair there was tons of slowdown in the 360 version without affecting the enjoyment much(imo). Seeing the hardware brought to its knees made you realise how much you were up against. And no, I'm not trying to sell the slowdown as a feature like some of the Cave game ports. Just saying the game worked well with it.

Oh I agree. I was just commenting on the no slowdown remark from the preview.

Kyoufu

One thing I don't like is having to clear each stage with the Storm guy to unlock Pale Wing.
LLShC.gif

And one thing I don't understand is why can I lower my armor rating? It's confusing.

And you have to change the controls in options because default sucks ass.

NeoAthanasius

Neo Member
Excellent! This is going to be about $40 cheaper than importing it. I curse the strong yen every time I visit playasia. So nice to see more Vita games being localized.

Does anyone know how EDF: Insect Armageddon plays on PC? The Steam version is only $10 bucks now.

Very good.

Do we know if it'll be digital only or retail?

I'm fine with digital only, I understand the retail costs and process. I am just happy to be able to play localized versions of these games.

It seems a lot of the notable Japanese games are getting localized, but there are still a lot that won't make it over, and thanks to Sony only giving Vita one account slot, we can't access other-region digital games on our main account...having to jump through awkward hoops.

B.K.

That's unexpected. I didn't think it would leave Japan. I hope it doesn't take too long to be released. I'm looking forward to it.

Vitacat

PS3 version? What PS3 version? This is EDF 2017, not EDF Insect Armageddon which wasn't even close to being the same game.

Crap. I was thinking this was about the upcoming EDF 3.

Totally confused. Sorry.

I'm so jealous of Vita owners right now!

It's made even worse by the fact that the best 3DS games from Japan haven't been announced for localization....

Kusagari

I don't see any devs putting single digit framerates on the back of the box as a feature. The later levels on the hardest difficulty are nearly unplayable.

*shrug*

The final levels, the final level especially, wouldn't be the same without the framerate problems. Made them a million times more memorable and epic.

Just like the infamous "stairs of lag" in Ninja Gaiden 2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
*shrug*

The final levels, the final level especially, wouldn't be the same without the framerate problems. Made them a million times more memorable and epic.

Those scenes were epic because there were so many duders. Not because the poor console couldn't handle all the insanity.

Otherwise they could just make the entire game run at 2fps and it would be epic the whole time.

*shrug*

How does a shitty framerate make something more epic?

European release was also confirmed in the comments. Giant bug killing for all!

Awesome. I'll get it day 1.

Top Bottom