• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 coming to PC via Steam on July 18

bede-x

I can't see the dlc mission packs anywhere on the page. Anyone know if they'll be released on Steam as well?

Eiji

Yes!

Can't wait to play this in 4K 60 FPS!

Also can't wait for mods. I really liked the crazy Action Replay codes for EDF2 on PS2 where you could get dropships to drop loads of saurons and rapid fire goliath gun.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I'm wondering about it, are the mission packs being sold as separate DLC or are they being included in the main game for that price ? I hope they haven't left them out at least.

how does EDF 2025 compare with 2017?

I finished 4 times EDF3 (360: easy normal hard, PSV : normal) and after finishing EDF4 on normal I sold it back

first of all you didnt get a trophy for finishing at easy, there was an easy way to get quickly super powerful weapons, around 80 levels, too much in my opinion
liked the variety of monsters, a problem that EDF3 had, but in the long run I still prefer EDF3 while the best EDF for me is still the second on PS2

dude

dude
I've never played EDF before, but the trailers looks fun. Can some one sell me on it? What makes this game so amazing?

Also, why is the price so high? :\

eXistor

I've never played EDF before, but the trailers looks fun. Can some one sell me on it? What makes this game so amazing?

Also, why is the price so high? :\
First off, ignore the price, it's well worth it; there's 100s of hours of content in these games.

For me it's a perfect blend of cheese and addicting gameplay. This is pure 50s low budget sci-fi in videogame form. There is almost no story, but what there is is clichéd and awful and I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's at its heart a grind-fest, but one that never really gets boring to me becasue the game has great feedback (shooting enemies is very satisfying) and a ton of weapons that are all legitimately different and awesome in their own right. Enemies randomly drop loot that either have armor, Life or a random weapon (based on what difficulty and level you're playing on). You'll want to grab these weapn crates as much as you can, because they will see you through the game and be sure to try out all different weapons, they're a lot of fun to use and it's fun finding the weapon that's right for you and the situation you're in.

Oh and I didn't even mention the different characters you can play as, which are all vastly different (my fave is the Wing DIver who can fly) and have their own unique weapons to use.

Every level is essentially the same or are variations of the same levels: city, countryside and underground. Alien invasion means lots of baddies to shoot and it's just wave after wave of them, but again, it's incredibly addicting. There's a ton a different enemies and they're all fun to shoot.

TLDR; Shooting things is fun.

dude

dude
First off, ignore the price, it's well worth it; there's 100s of hours of content in these games.

For me it's a perfect blend of cheese and addicting gameplay. This is pure 50s low budget sci-fi in videogame form. There is almost no story, but what there is is clichéd and awful and I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's at its heart a grind-fest, but one that never really gets boring to me becasue the game has great feedback (shooting enemies is very satisfying) and a ton of weapons that are all legitimately different and awesome in their own right. Enemies randomly drop loot that either have armor, Life or a random weapon (based on what difficulty and level you're playing on). You'll want to grab these weapn crates as much as you can, because they will see you through the game and be sure to try out all different weapons, they're a lot of fun to use and it's fun finding the weapon that's right for you and the situation you're in.

Oh and I didn;lt even mention the different charaxcters you can play as, which are all vastly different (my fave is the Wing DIver who can fly) and have their own unique weapons to use.

Every level is essentially the same or are variations of the same levels: city, countryside and underground. Alien invasion means lots of baddies to shoot and it's just wave after wave of them, but again, it's incredibly addicting. There's a ton a different enemies and they're all fun to shoot.

TLDR; Shooting things is fun.

That actually sounds awesome. Does it work well in co-op? I think I'm going to convince some friends to pick it up with me.

prudislav

Great news ... still confused about the numbering an sequels in the series though ... I remember some EDF Insect Armaggedon (without number) game from couple years ago and this one has 4.1 in the title :-/

Tain

I played the 360 version and missed the PS4 port. This rules. It'll be nice to see this game running smoothly.

Carm

Why are people complaining about the price? The game released on PS4, in December, for the exact same price, and this will have a 30% discount at release. DLC was extra on PS4, Im not sure why people think it would be included here.

Heh, bought it at release and still haven't played it, backlog and maximizing Gamefly rentals price/game completions keep getting in the way.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wowowow... wow!
Been waiting for this happen, especially since I have a friend who loves EDF as much as I do, but we haven't been able to play coop in a long while. Best news in forever!

Eila

I smell a shitty port incoming. Otherwise, day one.

I don't think Onechanbara had isues.

Why are people complaining about the price? The game released on PS4, in December, for the exact same price, and this will have a 30% discount at release. DLC was extra on PS4, Im not sure why people think it would be included here.

Heh, bought it at release and still haven't played it, backlog and maximizing Gamefly rentals price/game completions keep getting in the way.

It's 20 bucks now on PS4, as was Onechanbara on PC release.

eXistor

Great news ... still confused about the numbering an sequels in the series though ... I remember some EDF Insect Armaggedon (without number) game from couple years ago and this one has 4.1 in the title :-/

Just grab this one. It has all the levels and content from EDF 2017 (EDF3) and a whole bunch more. EDF4 was the PS3/360 release. It's essentially the same game as this, only this runs significantly smoother (still no solid 60fps though, not even close, but it's very playable) and at 1080P. Some minor things have changed like caves being dark now and apparently some levels have been altered, but I don't know to what degree as the terrible framerate stopped me from enjoying the PS3 game.

This is the ultimate EDF game.

Zafir

That's a pretty high base price considering the console versions didn't even release at full price here in the UK!

Rymuth

It's a great game and insane amount of levels for that price point. Get it, people.

Hope we see Mazinger or other famous robots mods.

Carm

I don't think Onechanbara had isues.

It's 20 bucks now on PS4, as was Onechanbara on PC release.

Why in the world would the price on PS4 now, 8 months after its release, have any bearing on its PC release, that's nonsense.

Onechanbara Z2: Chaos is 39.99 on Steam in the U.S. at the moment, isthereanydeal.com has its lowest price on Steam at 27.99.

prudislav

Just grab this one. It has all the levels and content from EDF 2017 (EDF3) and a whole bunch more. EDF4 was the PS3/360 release. It's essentially the same game as this, only this runs significantly smoother (still no solid 60fps though, not even close, but it's very playable) and at 1080P. Some minor things have changed like caves being dark now and apparently some levels have been altered, but I don't know to what degree as the terrible framerate stopped me from enjoying the PS3 game.

This is the ultimate EDF game.
thx for info and what was that Inmsect Armaggedon version???
I remember the port was quite messy at the time

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
That's a pretty high base price considering the console versions didn't even release at full price here in the UK!

For 2025 sure but for 4.1 it cost at LEAST £30 on release and the digital version cost £54.99, later being reduced to £34.99. With sales having it under £20. Price seems pretty much in line.

ys45

Oh damn if the price is good I might triple dip .
Playing this on computer should be way better for control and performance (hopefully it's not a shitty port)

Mupod

TO SAVE OUR MOTHER EARTH FROM ANY ALIEN ATTACK

but yeah I was wondering what happened with this after the steam database thing. Still didn't hesitate to get it day 1 on PS4. Price is kind of crazy, when it gets cheaper I'll probably buy it for myself and a friend for co-op.

Will definitely wait and see how the port is. Insect Armageddon had a locked 30fps and no AA but modders fixed that in like a day.

Fishious

thx for info and what was that Inmsect Armaggedon version???
I remember the port was quite messy at the time

Insect Armageddon was created by a western developer rather than Sandlot and isn't numbered. EDF 2017 is the third game, EDF 2025 is the fourth game, and this version, EDF 4.1, is essentially an improved version of EDF 2025.

I personally enjoyed Insect Armageddon, but a lot of Gaffers don't share my opinion. It was a departure in several ways, namely fewer enemies on screen (probably to improve frame rate), they were bullet sponges, fewer levels, less weapon variety, etc. So basically the whole gameplay loop was pretty different even if the gameplay itself was solid.

Regardless, if you've never played an EDF game 4.1 is probably the best choice.

Top Bottom