• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound fan box set on Kickstarter

maxcriden

$7,590 pledged of $100,000 goal at present.

The crew at Fangamer is cooking up one mean soup:
•An EarthBound Handbook filled with 90's 'TUDE
•A Documentary about EarthBound fandom in the west
•An Album of music by the BAD DUDES
•A Zine filled with fan-made art and stories

d00bd399ac74dbd1ec0265213b85c805_large.png

Jeff Benson of UbseyMovies, known to fans as one of the main creative forces behind the EB Saga series, is producing a documentary we're calling EarthBound, USA

Mustin and his crew of miscreants, collectively known as the BAD DUDES, have been hard at work on an album of music from the MOTHER series which we're calling the Psychokinetic Album.

To accompany the album, we took submissions for the Psychokinetic Zine, which is an 80-page zine filled with fan-made art and writing. You can check out some of the entries on the Tumblr!

Trailers, music samples and more at the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fangamer/you-are-now-earthbound?ref=nav_search

I know there are a lot of EB fans here on GAF so I thought they might be interested in this.

Also, FYI re: legal stuff:

Q: Is there a legal risk in making this stuff?

A: We're confident that everything we're creating is legally sound.
•All of the music from the Album and the Documentary will be properly licensed.
•Both the Handbook and the Zine will feature original artwork inspired by the MOTHER series -- no official art or logos are being used or commissioned.
•The Handbook will serve a variety of functions, all of which we believe are covered under the umbrella of "fair use": it is simultaneously an educational guide, a critical work which examines details of EarthBound's story, a parody of the game and the 90's environment in which the game was released, and a compilation of facts, techniques, and information gleaned by fans over the past 20 years (e.g. battle techniques, item/character/weapon stats). It will stand alone as a creative work, but it will not function as a replacement for the game's narrative.

jph139

Oh man, that looks like a companion to their Mother 3 Handbook!

dlHZJVP.png

An absolutely amazing piece of love. If the Earthbound one is half as good it's a must-have.

gR.-

Neo Member
Nice! But they will have problems with Nintendo? :s

edit: i see the Q&A but... i don't know it is a probability no?

Arcanine55

Neo Member
I hope that they will restock the Mother 3 handbook too. Either way, 64$ for some physical stuff I think it's expensive.

Velinos

I'm in for the hardcover guide. Now back to playing the waiting game for the Mother 3 guide coming back in stock.

flohen95

I have their hardcover Mother 3 handbook, it's fantastic. Might actually pledge in on this, would be my first backed Kickstarter.

They seriously messed up on their early rewards. Should have combined the $16 and $32 tiers and priced them all at $15 or kept the existing tiers but dropped the prices to $10 & $25 respectively. I'm expecting this kickstarter to fail thanks to this, whereas with better early tiers, I think they'd have a good shot at shooting past their goal.

Owensboro

I wish I could just get a copy of the Handbook. I'll wait and see how close this gets to funding, and if it needs a bump I'll help. Otherwise, I'll just wait for a book reprint like they did for Mother 3.

eXistor

Man, I'd love a hardcover version of the book, but my financial situation isn't great at the moment so I'll have to skip it entirely I'm afraid. A year ago I'd have probably splurged on the backpack edition, no second thoughts. I might try saving for it soon though.

They seriously messed up on their early rewards. Should have combined the $16 and $32 tiers and priced them all at $15 or kept the existing tiers but dropped the prices to $10 & $25 respectively. I'm expecting this kickstarter to fail thanks to this, whereas with better early tiers, I think they'd have a good shot at shooting past their goal.

I'm not sure the early tiers are really relevant, they're just there to stop the $64 tier being the entry point.

Less than 10% of people have bought in at the digital tiers currently, and while you'll argue that it's because they're overpriced (which they probably are) I would argue that even with "fairer" pricing, they still wouldn't get much take-up. Fangamer is all about the physical rewards, and even with $10/$25 pricing, a huge majority of backers would be in for the higher tiers anyway.

The kind of person who is interested in a kickstarter by Fangamer is going to want physical stuff. It's what they're known for. It's why they're loved.

Drago

Oh god, these all look amazing.

I want to back for at least $128 but I should not be spending so much money... I guess I'll see what things are like as the Kickstarter starts winding down. I want this so bad.

This reminds me, I still haven't picked up a Mother 3 Handbook... shame on me!

I'm not sure the early tiers are really relevant, they're just there to stop the $64 tier being the entry point.

Less than 10% of people have bought in at the digital tiers currently, and while you'll argue that it's because they're overpriced (which they probably are) I would argue that even with "fairer" pricing, they still wouldn't get much take-up. Fangamer is all about the physical rewards, and even with $10/$25 pricing, a huge majority of backers would be in for the higher tiers anyway.

The kind of person who is interested in a kickstarter by Fangamer is going to want physical stuff. It's what they're known for. It's why they're loved.

The early tiers are relevant because it's a kickstarter. In the vast majority of successful video game-related kickstarters, the most popular tier for both number of pledges & overall funding raised is somewhere between $10-$25 (with $15 being most common). By only catering to diehard fans who are willing to spend much more than that, it becomes very difficult to get that early momentum that convinces people that the kickstarter is going to be a success.

that reminds me the fangame is coming out soon in december

3e1aac4b72a61917cfe6f3011e68e7af.png

Still hate the name, because it's going to be markedly different in tone compared to the mother games due to lack of itoi, but the art is nice and they seem like they're doing some fun/unique stuff (i really like the level up jingles) so i think i'll give it a try once it comes out.

The early tiers are relevant because it's a kickstarter. In the vast majority of successful video game-related kickstarters, the most popular tier for both number of pledges & overall funding raised is somewhere between $10-$25 (with $15 being most common). By only catering to diehard fans who are willing to spend much more than that, it becomes very difficult to get that early momentum that convinces people that the kickstarter is going to be a success.

While there might be hard and fast rules for success for most Kickstarters, I think this particular one differs due to the nature of the people behind it and their fanbase.

Your average of $15 seems to be arrived at because most games on Kickstarter sell for about $15. I'd say your average is irrelevant. Most people on Kickstarter backing something are backing it to get "the thing," irrespective of price, and so the earlier tiers where you don't get that are irrelevant - in this case "the thing" is the physical goods, not the digital ones, so that's where the money will be made. Look at the Ouya, for example. A massive percentage of people were in the tier that got you the console, regardless of the price. The earlier tiers saw a little take up but they had no impact at all on the Kickstarter's success.

I guess we'll see before long!

dukeoflegs

I was going to do the $150 tier and get that as a birthday present for my brother, who is a big fan of the series, but this doesn't come out until 2016? I think I will have to pass, sorry brother.

Aeana

They'll certainly deliver, if the Mother 3 Handbook is anything to go by. I can't decide between the $64 and $128 tiers.

omgkitty

It already has $17,000 in a few hours. This doesn't need to convince anyone. Fans of Earthbound will buy it, and that's who it's for.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I need that handbook. I've got the softcover version of the Mother 3 Handbook: A Guide to Nowhere and I love that thing to death.

...b-but I have no money...here's hoping Fangamer releases some copies later down the line...

Just want to point out there is little to no "solid ground" when it comes to claiming fair use as a defense to accusations of copyright infringement, and maybe even less for trademark infringement. The issue is really unresolved in the courts, which means a lawsuit could easily be filed. And even if Fangamer wins in the end, defending from a lawsuit could easily eat up that entire budget.

That doesn't mean that the project is doomed. It just means that the project is relying more on Nintendo's good will than any legal defense.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Holy smokes, it's at 63K already. Going to blow right past the goal.

3 people have pledged $8K to go to Japan with the Fangamer crew. That's incredible.

Drago

Holy crap at it almost hitting 100k already... I'll probably be dropping $128 too against my better judgement. The Earthbound fanbase never ceases to amaze.

They need to restock the Mother 3 Handbook alongside this! D:

Top Bottom