• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound fan box set on Kickstarter

Peagles

Downgraded from $128 to the $32, but pledging $212 to get 3 of each book. Figured all the extras aren't worth much to me, I just like books :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Awesome. I just pledged the $32 tier too. The hardcover handbook will look great with my Mother 3 hardcover.

I have my Franklin Badge on my keychain.

Minions

Small update

The kickstarter has reached its $225,000 goal today. (Currently at 225,025)

This means the CD that comes with some of the backer levels will be extended to two CD's instead of one.

The next Goal is at $250k, which will fund the production of a physical book of changes that were made by the translation team (for earthbound) that were done in order to keep the same humor, and make it relative for English audiences. (Many of the Japanese references would have not caught on here in the US). 3 Days remain for this kickstarter, so lock in your backer levels if you want to get in on this!

Several years ago, professional translator Clyde Mandelin (also known as Tomato) started exploring the differences between the English and Japanese versions of a few games. As a translator with an impressive body of work under his belt--from professional projects for Funimation including Case Closed, Dragon Ball, and Attack on Titan to unofficial projects like the MOTHER 3 fan translation--he had an interest in the whats, whys, and hows of game localization.

So, he started Legends of Localization, a website that directly compares the final English products with their literal translations while discussing the challenges inherent in localization, including jokes, accents, words that simply don't exist in the English language, and more. It's a really fascinating site, and I recommend checking it out!

Clyde has already completed his examination of EarthBound, but it was one of his earlier projects. He's hoping to get the chance to go back and clean up his old work and turn it into a book! And, well, Fangamer would love to help him do that. If we reach our 250k goal, Fangamer will work with Tomato to adapt his work into a book, which we think will be of equal interest to aspiring translators and general EarthBound fans alike! These books will be made available to our backers as add-ons if and when we reach that goal.

Explains what the book will be about if we hit $250k.

Drago

I really hope that all of these things get sold on fangamer separately when they're all finished, I'm gonna have to drop my pledge all the way down to just the handbook (plus a Mother 3 HB).

Extended Bad Dudes album makes me super happy. The sample track was excellent.

PBalfredo

I really hope that all of these things get sold on fangamer separately when they're all finished, I'm gonna have to drop my pledge all the way down to just the handbook (plus a Mother 3 HB).

Extended Bad Dudes album makes me super happy. The sample track was excellent.

The last question on the FAQ part of the kickstarter page addresses this

Q: Will any of this be available for purchase once the Kickstarter ends?

A: Yes! If the project gets funded, the EarthBound Handbook, the Psychokinetic Zine, the Psychokinetic Music Album, and the EarthBound, USA documentary will all be available in the Fangamer Store once the project is complete and backers have all received their rewards (projected for March 2016).

However, the custom collectors box that the set will be packaged in is exclusive to this campaign, as is the ephemera that will be stuffed into the backpack and the Nessbot USB stick.

The backpack itself may eventually find its way into the Fangamer Store, but though its fate is still undetermined.

I want to get the physical versions, but I'm going to have to wait until they are available piecemeal on fangamer since November is already a horrible month for my wallet even before a bunch of EathBound swag came into the picture.

Ugh, it pains me, I'm stuck between having not-enough-money, or cancelling my $128-tier payment. I'm tempted to offer someone $150 in December if they covered the $128 payment now. :p

Drago

I want to get the physical versions, but I'm going to have to wait until they are available piecemeal on fangamer since November is already a horrible month for my wallet even before a bunch of EathBound swag came into the picture.
Sweet, I obviously need to read more :D

Don't feel so bad about lowering my pledge now. I want everything they have to offer, just can't afford it right now. Oh well.

Minions

I'd assume the prices post kickstarter would be higher, but I have no way of telling that. Just based on past kickstarter experiences. The Ness USB stick, the items inside of the backpack, and the foil-embossed collectors case are all exclusive to the kickstarter.

Ah, good news. Due to Smash Wii U/Pokémon OR, think it might be best just to pledge for the hardcover handbook for now. Definitely want the documentary/soundtrack somewhere down the line, though.

Minions

In for $160 because I need that Mother 3 book. 2016 is a long way away. :(

I actually just bumped up from 64+32, to $128+32.... like you. I want bluray (not dvd). I want stuff I couldn't buy after the fact. like the nessbot usb, and the foil collectors box. The physical cd is a nice upgrade too...

Minions

Kickstarter Update:

Our cute little UFO has rocketed past the Extended Bad Dudes Album goal and is well on its way to the next stretch goal!

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to possessed by the producer of the Bad Dudes album for a minute.

...!

Mustin from the Bad Dudes here.

I'm so proud of you all. You really wanted it, didn't you? And now you're gonna get it.

Thanks to your tenacity, you have unlocked Disc 2 of "Psychokinetic," our tribute to the music of the MOTHER series. You've heard the sampler? And you remember the track list so far, right?

EarthBound - Enjoy Your Stay
EarthBound - Home Sweet Home
MOTHER - Eight Melodies
EarthBound - Paula's Theme
EarthBound - Snowman
MOTHER - Approaching Mt. Itoi
EarthBound - Hi Hi Hi
MOTHER 3 - Gentle Rain
???
...and more!

Now you can expect a lot more. Do you want to help choose what you'll hear more of?

We're opening up three more slots on the ZEALOUS BASS reward tier. That way, YOU pick which MOTHER track you want arranged from any of the 3 games, and in what style you want to hear it. We'll dance for you, baby. We'll be your puppet.

So at least 10 more awesome tunes for a second disc, and you have the opportunity to choose 3 of those. Sound good to you? Sounds good to me.

Sleep tight knowing your favorite jams are in good hands. We have some of the most seasoned veterans of the video game music remixing community, along with composers from various indie games, and former members of some of the most celebrated video game cover bands of all time. Why just listen to what we've done with mere 5 to 10 second jingles from various video games! Trust us. We've got this. And as soon as you have these two sweet, sweet discs in your hand, I just know you'll be Flying, Man.

Get more free tunes from our Web site at BadDudesMusic.com. We've gotta get back to work. Peace.

...!

Aaand, I'm back! Whew! Being possessed is weird.

Anyway, to be clear what this new stretch goal means:

Everyone getting the digital version of the Bad Dudes album will be getting a digital version of the second disc as well!
Everyone getting the physical version of the Bad Dude album will be getting a physical version of the second disc as well!
When the album is done and we've finished shipping discs out to our backers, the 2-disc version of the album will be available to buy in the Fangamer Store. Price to be determined.

Thanks again for all the support, everyone! We've got just a few days to go!

Currently at $234,771 with 64 hours remaining. The next goal is at $250,000. This will be a for production of a book explaining all the changes made in order to keep the charm and joke consistent for western audiences.

Getting close now!

Minions

KS Update

We've got just two days to go, and less than 10k until we hit that sweet, sweet Legends of Localization goal. Aw, yeah.

Should we do a 350k goal? If so, what should it be? Any suggestions?

In the meantime, let's recap everything you guys have accomplished so far:

You unlocked some free music you can download RIGHT NOW -- see Update #1
You unlocked combination poster/dust jackets for the hardcover EarthBound Handbooks!
You unlocked a free album of the music being composed for the documentary for all backers!
You unlocked free packs of trading cards for backers at the $64 tier and above! See Update #4
You upgraded all Handbooks to hardcover Handbooks!
You helped us fund a reprint of our MOTHER 3 Handbook!
You helped us fund a convention we're calling Camp Fangamer! See Update #14
You doubled your helping of Bad Dudes!

Backers are now getting significantly more bang for their buck, and there's still room to grow!

On that note, here's a rundown of the limited upper tiers still available:

ZEALOUS BASS - 3 slots remaining - This tier sold out in the first couple of days of the campaign, but we added three more slots to this tier yesterday after we hit the Extended Bad Dudes Album stretch goal. In short, you'll work with the Bad Dudes to choose a song from EarthBound (or one of the other MOTHER series games) and a style of music you'd like that song to sound like. Have you always wanted to hear a heavy metal version of the Skyrunner theme? Or perhaps a klezmer version of the music from the Giygas and Pokey battle? You can get some of the most talented musicians in the video game arrangement biz to do it for you! And for a ridiculously low price, too!
COFFEE BREAK - 2 slots remaining - In the documentary we have interviewed a wide range of EarthBound fans, but there's no way we can get to everyone. If you back at this tier, though, you'll be able to record your own 30-second video that we'll include in the credits of the documentary! You'll be able to tell the world (or, at least the people who watch the documentary) all about how EarthBound affected your life. We'll also make an animated sprite of you for the credits!
THE CHOSEN FOUR - 4 slots remaining - Guarantee a place at the convention for yourself and three friends! Not only will you get 4 tickets to the convention and a hotel room for the duration of the convention, you'll also get to go to dinner with EarthBound's localization director! From the pre-party the Friday night before the convention to the Monday morning afterward, when we all stumble blearily back toward our regular lives, you and your three friends will be as VIP as we can manage.
"EARTHBOUND, USA" PREMIERE AT TUCSON'S CHAOS THEATER - 4 slots remaining - Want to be a movie VIP with the stretch limousine, red carpet, and all that glitz and glam? At this tier, you and a friend will be flown down to Tucson the day before the documentary premiere, picked up in style by a limo, and delivered to your hotel. We'll give you a tour of the Fangamer office that day if you want, or you can just explore Tucson. The following day, the limo will deliver you to the theater for the premiere, where many of the people from the documentary will also be hanging out. After the premiere, the crowd will move on to an after-party where you'll get the chance to rub elbows with lots of EB fans, enjoy some music, and whatever else we decide to do for the party!
MOTHERLAND - 1 slot remaining - Have you ever been to Japan? Have you wanted to go, but were afraid to do so because you don't speak Japanese and don't even know what you'd do while you were there? Well, come with us! We have a skilled translator who knows the ins, outs, and places to visit in and around Tokyo! We'll be spending a whole week in the heart of Japan, with Fuji-san in the distance, and surrounded by the fascinating culture that spawned so many of the video games we love. We'll provide transportation, lodging, and a tour guide--all you'll need is money for food and souvenirs!

Once this campaign is over, these rewards will be gone forever! So, if you were on the fence about any of these, make a decision quickly!

And hey, maybe we'll reach that 250k stretch goal by tomorrow!

The KS is currently at $244,397 with 44 hours remaining. Looks like we will easily hit $250k. The next stretch goal is $300k.... for an earthbound air freshener.

batbeg

I'm playing Earthbound for the third time in my life and it's finally clicking for me, though I still think Mother 3 blows it away. Either way, baaaaacked.

Oh man, that looks like a companion to their Mother 3 Handbook!

dlHZJVP.png

An absolutely amazing piece of love. If the Earthbound one is half as good it's a must-have.

I got that book and I still havent played the game. Its freaking amazing.

The physical book for eathbound reward in the kickstater seems a little expensive though. If I remember correctly it didn't cost me that much to buy the mother 3 one on their website (of course I know this is for them to make more things and not only the book though).
Are they goping to release the physical book on their website (like they did with the mother 3 one) at a later date, or is it going to be a kickstater exckusive only? It would be a pity if I didnt get this book to accompany my ohter copy, but right now Im a little tight on the money to buy it form the kickstater sadly.

Peagles

I got that book and I still havent played the game. Its freaking amazing.

The physical book for eathbound reward in the kickstater seems a little expensive though. If I remember correctly it didn't cost me that much to buy the mother 3 one on their website (of course I know this is for them to make more things and not only the book though).

It's $32 to get a copy of the Earthbound one, how much was the Mother 3 one originally?

$20 softcover, $29 hardcover I think. So a $3 price increase

Oh thought it was 20 for the hardcover (the version I got) or something like that. Will think about it, I still have 43 hours.
EDIT
Ah ok, the price there is dollars, so yeah, it would be something like 25 euros at the end, so its not really a bad price for it.

Velinos

Also remember that shipping is included with those prices. My guess is that shipping normally is more than $3, so we are still getting a deal.

Minions

Also remember that shipping is included with those prices. My guess is that shipping normally is more than $3, so we are still getting a deal.

Indeed. I think shipping is normally $5+. There is basically no second hand market for these books either... so once they are gone they are gone. They will be sold on fangamers site, no prices have been announced however and I would not count on there being a huge amount of extras made, but I have been looking for a Mother 3 hardback for months with no luck. Glad the KS hit that level.

Rran

Love the Twin Peaks nod in the video lol.

Anyway, I had to back this--Earthbound is amaaaaazzziiinngggggg

Peagles

Damnit, just added $50 for two Localisation books. Things are gonna be tight for the next few weeks but it'll be worth it :p

Drago

Damn, even after I lowered my pledge all the way to just the handbook, they still have all of my money with these add on books... >_>

Really glad the Legends of Localization book is happening!

Minions

Update:

Update 18: Legends of Localization - EarthBound Edition Add-On

I'm not going to make you guys wait until tomorrow morning to give details about this since, at this point, every minute counts! I'll do another, standard update tomorrow.

Clyde Mandelin's Legends of Localization: EarthBound Edition book is now an add on.

To add a copy of the book to your pledge, here's what you do:

US backers at the $128 Physical Box Set tier and higher: add $10 to your pledge to receive a single copy of the Legends of Localization book, and $25 per additional copy if you want more than one.
International backers at the $128 Physical Box Set tier and higher: add $15 to your pledge to receive a single copy of the Legends of Localization book, and $30 per additional copy if you want more than one.
US backers at the tiers lower than the $128 Physical Box Set tier: add $25 to your pledge per copy of the Legends of Localization book you'd like to add to your rewards.
International backers at the tiers lower than the $128 Physical Box Set tier: add $25 to your pledge per copy of the Legends of Localization book you'd like to add to your rewards.

We'll sort out what those extra funds go toward in the backer survey after the campaign is over.

So, for instance, if you live in the US and just want an EarthBound Handbook and the Legends of Localization book, you would pledge $57 ($32 for the Handbook + $25 for the Legends of Localization book) and select the JUST THE HANDBOOK tier.

If, on the other hand, you wanted the Physical Box Set and two copies of the Localization book you would pledge $163 ($128 for box set + $10 for the first Localization book + $25 for the second Localization book) and select the PHYSICAL BOX SET tier.

Sorry for all the math, everyone! Maybe we should make the 350k goal a free calculator, HEH.

The book is only an additional $10 if you are backing at the $128 tier and above. Good deal! The kickstarter is currently at $157,617 with 31 hours remaining.

Can you believe I'll be throwing over $130 into this and that I don't regret it one bit?

I really want all three of these books. (Earthbound, Mother 3 and Legends of Localization)

Minions

Can you believe I'll be throwing over $130 into this and that I don't regret it one bit?

I really want all three of these books. (Earthbound, Mother 3 and Legends of Localization)

I don't see it as being any different than buying a collectors edition version of a game. Both are usually $100+.

Velinos

Same here, I am in for $170 so far. Funny that I am not willing to put in that much for an actual copy of Earthbound for SNES, but that is more because I am not willing to pay much more than MSRP for games.

Minions

Same here, I am in for $170 so far. Funny that I am not willing to put in that much for an actual copy of Earthbound for SNES, but that is more because I am not willing to pay much more than MSRP for games.

I just feel if I want to play earthbound I can just buy it on the VC for like $10. These books are not really available in any other way.

Just caved in and got the handbook. Opened my mother 3 one just to remember how good it was to click the 32 euros reward lol

Not for europe, but 5 dollars more is reasonable.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Pledged for the book. I lost my official ones years ago, would love to grab another one.

Is the hardcover Mother 3 book reprint only going to be available from this Kickstarter or is it going to be sold on the Fangamer site too?

I'd like to get both but that's a decent amount of $$$ to put up all at once.

wrowa

I won't get my new credit card until next week. I wish they'd offer a paypal option, it saddens me so much that I'll miss this. :(

Velinos

Is the hardcover Mother 3 book reprint only going to be available from this Kickstarter or is it going to be sold on the Fangamer site too?

I'd like to get both but that's a decent amount of $$$ to put up all at once.

One of the kickstarter updates says that the remainder of the reprint order will be put up on the site for sale to the general public after the kickstarter rewards have been shipped out in mid-January. Exactly how many will be available is anyone's guess, though?

Edit: Yay, I am finally a Member here. Only took 5 years.

One of the kickstarter updates says that the remainder of the reprint order will be put up on the site for sale to the general public after the kickstarter rewards have been shipped out in mid-January. Exactly how many will be available is anyone's guess, though?

It reminds me of Go Gaia back in the day. No respect until you get some flashy gear. This is just simplified! Now people will actually reply to you.

See. It's already working.

Guess I'll stake my chances on the store then. Thanks!

Minions

Guess I'll stake my chances on the store then. Thanks!

Everything will be on the store except: The backpack (they said it may in the future, but unconfirmed at this time); The Foil Box Collectors thing; The Ness USB stick. It is unknown if the dust covers (stretch goal) will come with the books sold on the store or not.

Please keep in mind once the goal was funded they placed the order for Mother 3 Handbooks. They said there will be extras, but said they would have a limited amount. As people are ordering them through this kickstarter... and only ordering that book, that raises the question of how many books will remain as more people order.

This is how you order a Mother 3 Handbook without ordering a Earthbound Handbook:
Question...if I really just want a reprint of the Mother 3 handbook, will I get it if I pledge $32 and say no reward? or do I need to select "just a handbook" and then i specify in the survey y'all send?

Hrm, that's a good question. How about this: just back the project for $32 and select "NO REWARD" if you just want the MOTHER 3 Handbook. After the project is over, send me a message here on Kickstarter and we'll figure it out from there. Does that sound good?

Currently at $264,799 with 25 hours remaining.

Everything will be on the store except: The backpack (they said it may in the future, but unconfirmed at this time); The Foil Box Collectors thing; The Ness USB stick. It is unknown if the dust covers (stretch goal) will come with the books sold on the store or not.

Please keep in mind once the goal was funded they placed the order for Mother 3 Handbooks. They said there will be extras, but said they would have a limited amount. As people are ordering them through this kickstarter... and only ordering that book, that raises the question of how many books will remain as more people order.

This is how you order a Mother 3 Handbook without ordering a Earthbound Handbook:

Currently at $264,799 with 25 hours remaining.

Tempting to go with 3 and wait it out for the Earthbound book. Still haven't played 3 though, I'm of the mind it's going to release here eventually so the book won't do me much good until then. Guess I'll sleep on it!

Minions

Tempting to go with 3 and wait it out for the Earthbound book. Still haven't played 3 though, I'm of the mind it's going to release here eventually so the book won't do me much good until then. Guess I'll sleep on it!

The game is entirely fan translated. http://mother3.fobby.net/ . The tranlators request that you purchase the cart (which is harder now that they are no longer produced) before using the patch to translate a rom.

The guy that is writing the book that we just met the stretch goal for, was one of the leads on the Mother 3 fan translation project.

Likewise... apparently people are selling carts with the patch installed on them on ebay... which is kinda sketchy.

The game is entirely fan translated. http://mother3.fobby.net/ . The tranlators request that you purchase the cart (which is harder now that they are no longer produced) before using the patch to translate a rom.

The guy that is writing the book that we just met the stretch goal for, was one of the leads on the Mother 3 fan translation project.

Likewise... apparently people are selling carts with the patch installed on them on ebay... which is kinda sketchy.

Yeah I've seen the patch for a couple years now wasn't interested in buying a cart that I wouldn't have a real use for when they were cheaper. Now that I could patch the game on the retron the price has jumped up.

Figure if i could wait all those years for VC Earthbound this will be a piece of cake.

Drago

Holy shit, just got an update that says if they hit 350k, they're gonna make a Mother 1 Handbook to complete the trilogy (and also, the amount of content in the Zine will be doubled).

NEED

Aeana

20 hours to get ~100k more for the Mother 1 handbook... I'm skeptical, to say the least, but it sure would be neat.

Minions

Update:
46dd9f0746e8ab95a1203cb74ee82bed_large.png

OverClocked ReMix Album

If you're not familiar with OC ReMix, get familiar with OC ReMIx. They have, as a community, been composing video game arrangements since 1999, and as a community they've helped countless budding musicians learn the ropes, find their style, and improve their art. OC ReMix is, without a doubt, one of the coolest places in the Internet, and a place where you can download thousands upon thousands of video game arrangements absolutely free.

OC ReMix has produced a bunch of music albums, and one of my favorite things they've ever done was their incredible album Balance and Ruin, a massive collection of Final Fantasy 6 arrangements that are simply overflowing with love and talent. We thought, man, if they could make something even a fraction as awesome for EarthBound, that would be awesome.

So, we've worked out a deal with OC ReMix so that, if we hit the 300k goal, we'll send them a donation to help make a EB album happen and sound great. The album will eventually be released for free on OC ReMix, just like their other albums.
Extended PK Zine

One of the most popular requests for the 350k goal is the fabled EarthBound Anthology, a massive tome of artwork and history that Starmen.Net produced to sent to various people as part of one of its EB Seige campaigns.

Unfortunately, we simply can't produce anything with that book. Much of that work does not belong to Fangamer, and we are not comfortable using other people's work without their permission.

However, if we hit the 350k goal, we will be expanding the PK Zine to be more than a collection of artwork. We'll be turning it into a spiritual successor to the Anthology, basically doubling the size and scope of the PK Zine!
MOTHER 1 Handbook

If we reach the 350k goal, Fangamer will commit to a MOTHER 1 Handbook. It will not be available as an add-on to this campaign since it will need to happen some time after the EarthBound Handbook is finished. It will simply be a project we will commit to do sometime after we've finished the EBHB.

Details about the Handbook are sparse since we just started thinking about this an hour ago. Suffice to say, though, that the M1HB would probably be a bit shorter than the EBHB and M3HB since MOTHER 1 is a comparatively short game. We'll figure out the rest if and when we commit to do this.

---

Anyway, today I want to talk about this one talented dude we're working with for the EarthBound Handbook. You might not know his name, but if you follow EathBound-related news you might have seen his work last year.
Christopher Behr

Last year, Christopher finished a labor of live project: a truly bonkers 3D recreation of Onett:
ebd1357a4855e22769d805b7f29791b2_large.jpg

6319bcbca478c6e3a8d769c94df9277f_large.jpg

We're incredibly excited to be working with him to create some unique scenes for various moments throughout the Handbook! Here's a sneak preview of his work in the EBHB:
20950f5b842d9d63e6b7760e5bcd6542_large.jpg

You know, in case you weren't already excited for this project.
Countdown Stream

As a final note, tomorrow for the final 3 hours of the campaign we'll be streaming live on our Twitch page. We'll be playing the new Smash Bros on WiiU and maybe even taking challengers! If you want to come and say hi, we'll be broadcasting from 12PM to ~3:30PM MST.

See you tomorrow!

Currently at $269,713 with 20 hours remaining. The Mother 1 book to complete the trilogy.... crap we need to hit $350k now :x

Top Bottom