• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound fan box set on Kickstarter

vanx0

u-wot-m8.gif

/dead

Drago

It slowed down a ton since the first 100k. I hope we can hit 175k as I missed the first couple printings of Mother 3 book. I hope they do hard cover copies and don't just do softcovers...
I have no doubt that we'll hit 175k, they'd have to make 50k in 3 weeks to hit it which is almost certainly going to happen.

And yeah, I hope they have hardcovers too! I don't see why they wouldn't though. :)

Minions

I have no doubt that we'll hit 175k, they'd have to make 50k in 3 weeks to hit it which is almost certainly going to happen.

And yeah, I hope they have hardcovers too! I don't see why they wouldn't though. :)

Depends how budget conscious they are I guess. Hard copies would cost more to make I would think... Though if they did a limited run I would hope they would do hard back for those of us who missed out. I was told by PM they would make them and put them up on the fangamer site ASAP. I was hoping for it to be included as a "add-on" item, but they said they are trying to avoid addons as they make things more confusing.

Teknoman

Man I want the hardcover and the music, but I dont want to drop 100+

EDIT: Damn, those arranged tracks are nice. Right there at 2 minutes is when it hit me.

Minions

So apparently they changed the tiers.... and now once they hit 150k even the $64 pledge will be a hard back with dust jacket.... I guess I will change my level to the $64 one?

According to that cute little UFO, we're edging ever closer to that 150k stretch goal! Also, that goal has changed slightly: now if we hit that goal, all tiers that include the EarthBound Handbook will be eligible to receive the hard-cover version. And yes, all of them will get the bonus dust cover/poster!

Peagles

So apparently they changed the tiers.... and now once they hit 150k even the $64 pledge will be a hard back with dust jacket.... I guess I will change my level to the $64 one?

Yes that's right, if you only want the book I guess.

I'd be wary though, if everyone at $128 starts halving their pledge it might not get to 150k.

I just have my fingers crossed for 175k, need that Mother 3 handbook in my life so bad!

Minions

Yes that's right, if you only want the book I guess.

I'd be wary though, if everyone at $128 starts halving their pledge it might not get to 150k.

I just have my fingers crossed for 175k, need that Mother 3 handbook in my life so bad!

Indeed. However very unlikely. The way I looked at lowering my pledge, it will pay for the other hardback book (Mother 3) once the kickstarter hits $175k.

Peagles

Indeed. However very unlikely. The way I looked at lowering my pledge, it will pay for the other hardback book (Mother 3) once the kickstarter hits $175k.

Agreed, unlikely, but it would be a shame if they lost ~$20k because of that. No doubt many people went for $128 solely for the hardcover. I know I did initially.

Now I'll be making an additional $64 pledge to get a second hardcover.

Drago

Hmm...

While saving $64 would be incredibly nice, I still very much want the documentary on Blu Ray, and having a physical Bad Dudes album would be nice. Also that Nessbot USB is awesome. :p

May step down to $64 before the KS is over but for now I'll stick with $128. We still need to hit $175k anyways. :D

Arkage

Banned
Ugh I'm really torn on what tier to choose now. Hardback was really the single reason why I went for the $128 tier, but now there's no reason. I can't justify spending an extra $64 just to get physical versions of media I'll end up getting digitally anyway.

Emarv

So the Mother 3 Handbook got to use in game shots but this one doesn't? I'm confused. It'll still be really good renderings of the art right? I really like a lot art used in the Morher 3 handbook.

omgkitty

So the Mother 3 Handbook got to use in game shots but this one doesn't? I'm confused. It'll still be really good renderings of the art right? I really like a lot art used in the Morher 3 handbook.

I just now realized the book won't really be a guide like the Mother 3 Handbook. This seems more like a book about Earthbound than anything.

Aeana

I just now realized the book won't really be a guide like the Mother 3 Handbook. This seems more like a book about Earthbound than anything.

Huh? The page says it's a guide.

Much like we did with the MOTHER 3 Handbook, we're producing an obsessively-designed guide which is a companion to the game, rather than a collection of to-do lists and maps.

And the sample page makes it seem like a guide, too.

omgkitty

Huh? The page says it's a guide.

And the sample page makes it seem like a guide, too.

Q: Is there a legal risk in making this stuff?

A: We're confident that everything we're creating is legally sound.
•All of the music from the Album and the Documentary will be properly licensed.
•Both the Handbook and the Zine will feature original artwork inspired by the MOTHER series -- no official art or logos are being used or commissioned.
•The Handbook will serve a variety of functions, all of which we believe are covered under the umbrella of "fair use": it is simultaneously an educational guide, a critical work which examines details of EarthBound's story, a parody of the game and the 90's environment in which the game was released, and a compilation of facts, techniques, and information gleaned by fans over the past 20 years (e.g. battle techniques, item/character/weapon stats). It will stand alone as a creative work, but it will not function as a replacement for the game's narrative.

omgkitty

I'm not seeing where that says it isn't a guide.

I'm reading it more as it isn't saying it is a guide. They're very vague as far as what the book is exactly. Sure they tell you what's in it, but I would assume they think the original guide stands on it's own for the game, and they don't really need to create that again. It also will not have any official art or screenshots from the game. Even that shot at the top of the crash site is hand drawn.

noquarter

If it's like the Mother 3 Handbook, it is a guided book for the game like a travel book would be for tourists. It tells you how to beat the game, but isn't really made for that, it is more for appreciating the world. The Mother 3 book is pretty great and fun to go through even if you aren't playing the game.

Need to decide whether I want to drop $256 on this or just get the book to compliment my Mother 3 books. Still got a little bit of time decide.

amnesiac

Earthbound related question:

So I (regrettably) sold my complete version of Earthbound a few years ago and I want to play it again. Since Mother 2 is really cheap for Super Famicom, is it worth trying out or will it be completely unenjoyable since I don't know Japanese?

omgkitty

Earthbound related question:

So I (regrettably) sold my complete version of Earthbound a few years ago and I want to play it again. Since Mother 2 is really cheap for Super Famicom, is it worth trying out or will it be completely unenjoyable since I don't know Japanese?

Well it's a text heavy RPG, so yeah I'd think you're going to have some issues. Do you have a Wii U? It's on the virtual console.

Minions

I hope the Mother 3 book gets a reprint, I spilled milk all over my original copy!

Blasphamy!

Kidding.

Looks like after opening more slots on the spiteful crow funding level, that its about to hit $150k.... So basically 15 days to get $25k for the books to be reprinted. I wish they would just add an option for "add-on" copy of the hard back mother 3 book. That would both make the total go up fast and get people books in the process.... and potentially save them having to do two separate shipments. I do understand their reasoning behind not doing that (as it really complicates things)

Minions

Kickstarter has hit $150k (actually is getting close 155k atm)

Changes to the kickstarter to note:

-$32 option for JUST the guide (currently unknown if paperback or hardback, but I'd assume paperback)

Hitting the $150k has has changed (a bit)
-$64 backers now get hardback copies of the guide, a dust jacket(that is also a poster), also they now will get 1 booster pack of trading cards. (6 cards)
-$128 backers get dust jackets, and 3 packs of cards (total of 18 cards)
-$256 backers get dust jackets, and get all trading cards (about 50 total)

Also, you can add additional books to your order by pledging an additional $32 to any tier with physical rewards. So, if you pledge $288 and select the YOU ARE NOW EARTHBOUND tier, you would get everything from that tier plus an additional EarthBound Handbook. If you just wanted, say, three copies of the EarthBound Handbook, you could pledge $96 and select the JUST A HANDBOOK tier. (International backers: for simplicity's sake, you only need to pledge extra for international shipping as appropriate for your chosen tier, not for each additional Handbook.)

Reminder: If the kickstarter hits $175k they will reprint the Mother 3 Handbook (and likely other things will change, as the last 2 levels we hit, the kickstarter has changed quite a bit... all for the better I think)

Drago

Oh really? That is cool. It was not mentioned in the email or on the main page.
Yep, it says hardcover on the tier itself. I don't think there is even a softcover option anymore, they're all hardcover.

I may have to drop my pledge a few notches, if I go for $128 I will be kinda tight on funds and the handbook is the only thing I need, but man all the other rewards are super cool too. I'm conflicted. :/

Minions

Yep, it says hardcover on the tier itself. I don't think there is even a softcover option anymore, they're all hardcover.

I may have to drop my pledge a few notches, if I go for $128 I will be kinda tight on funds and the handbook is the only thing I need, but man all the other rewards are super cool too. I'm really conflicted :(

Indeed it does, don't know why it was not included in the email/update for some reason.

There will be a softcover version though. It gives you the option in the $64 tier.
"Backers at the $64 tier will now receive a hardcover EarthBound Handbook instead of a softcover one (unless they REALLY want a softcover--if so, get in touch)!"

I'm sitting at the $64 tier, was the $128 tier before they gave the hard back at $64... now I don't know if I just want the book or want the cards too... I guess I get all the digital stuff at this tier as well too, which is how I listen to my music and watch movies generally. If they show the "foil box" and it looks enticing enough I will bump back up to the $128.

Drago

I'm sitting at the $64 tier, was the $128 tier before they gave the hard back at $64... now I don't know if I just want the book or want the cards too... I guess I get all the digital stuff at this tier as well too, which is how I listen to my music and watch movies generally. If they show the "foil box" and it looks enticing enough I will bump back up to the $128.
Yeah, I guess that will be the tipping point for me too. A really nice and lovingly designed box would seal the deal for me :D

Minions

Seems like the kickstarter may hit $175k today. (Currently @174,250). Assuming nothing else changes (which may not be the case as every other tier has added additional stuff not listed) they will be printing the Mother 3 handbook again and it should be for sale in January! Will post another update if they add any additional information.

Can anyone post a review of the yellow backpack if they backed that tier?

I really wanted the yellow backpack more than the hardcover.

emb

Just playing through Earthbound now. Loving it. I think I might just back for that guide. Seems nice.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I jumped in at the $32 tier. I really just want the guide. I'd prefer a hardback one, and I'll spend the next week and a half considering if I should spend $32 more on that. The biggest issue for me is that the day this funds is the same day I'll be spending close to $200 on games.

I'm proud to say, my $64 pledge was actually the one that rolled it over into $175k. I would've gone $128, but will use the difference to buy the Mother 3 book as well. :)

SegaShack

Can anyone make something like this? I thinks it's screwed up KS lets blatant copyrighted fan projects go up. Can I make a Contra set with figures and sell it with a 200 grand goal because I am a fan?

Minions

Can anyone make something like this? I thinks it's screwed up KS lets blatant copyrighted fan projects go up. Can I make a Contra set with figures and sell it with a 200 grand goal because I am a fan?

Its not "blantant copyright" infringement. The guide itself uses no artwork from the game (look at the example page). One is a mockup of the game map, the other uses real pictures of people who resemble the same characters in game. All the music is artist renditions, the magazine is fan stuff drawn/submitted etc. A DVD of behind the scenes interviews with people who made the game, were impacted by the game, and people who made games/things based on the game. The only thing close is the nessbot usb stick, but then again that is a mockup of a 2d image, even that is not being "sold" its a gift for supporting the project... and not a guaranteed one at that according to kickstarter itself.

In the case you are making would movie reviews also be considered copyright infringement? Since many people make money off reviewing movies (or games) and use clips (From the actual movie or game) in doing so? Honestly curious.

Considering what they did with the Mother 3 handbook, this one seems even less ominous than that, and this game has been out for 2-3x as long. The mother 3 handbook came out a year or two after the game was released.

I think if Nintendo was going to do anything at this point they would be targeting the Mother 4 (Earthbound 4) fan sequel that is being made at the moment.

Drago

$175k hit! Mother 3 Handbook reprint is happening!

Definitely gonna get myself a hardcover when they become available. Not gonna miss my chance.

Minions

I can't believe how fast the KS is going today. Someone must have posted the KS somewhere... it went up 22k~ the past 3 days or so. @$178,360 atm

Lets hit $250k so we can figure out what the Tomato is!

Minions

Kickstarter update:

The order has been placed for the reprint, and their best estimate for when they will have them in the office and ready to ship is early January. "(Right now we're looking into whether we'll be able to allow backers to add them to their existing pledge.)"

Still no new information on what the tomato at $250k means
" Baseless Tomato Speculation

I think he's laughing at us because even at $250,000 he won't reveal whether he's a fruit or a vegetable."

Next goal is $200k and at that level they will have a convention. Only about $20,000 to that goal. (Currently $179,654).

I really think they should put out more information about that goal before we hit it.... I hope they allow backers to add Mother 3 Handbook to their order. I don't want any chance of missing out again on the hardback handbook.

Minions

Update: Nearly 195k (Currently 194,537) about 5k from goal "convention"

ed00fee64757be04a7c03ad6897ca82b_large.png

Mother 3 handbooks can now be ordered as addons. Also, Earthbound handbooks can now be ordered as addons. To do so, simply choose an order level, and pledge an additional ($32) to your pledge total for an Additional Earthbound hardback book in the USA and other Countries. However for the Mother 3 guides the People in the USA need to pledge an additional $32, and other countries need to pledge $37.

The Mother 3 Handbooks are slated to be delivered in Mid-January.

Now an explanation of what that LoL tomato meant:

Several years ago, professional translator Clyde Mandelin (also known as Tomato) started exploring the differences between the English and Japanese versions of a few games. As a translator with an impressive body of work under his belt--from professional projects for Funimation including Case Closed, Dragon Ball, and Attack on Titan to unofficial projects like the MOTHER 3 fan translation--he had an interest in the whats, whys, and hows of game localization.

So, he started Legends of Localization, a website that directly compares the final English products with their literal translations while discussing the challenges inherent in localization, including jokes, accents, words that simply don't exist in the English language, and more. It's a really fascinating site, and I recommend checking it out!

Clyde has already completed his examination of EarthBound, but it was one of his earlier projects. He's hoping to get the chance to go back and clean up his old work and turn it into a book! And, well, Fangamer would love to help him do that. If we reach our 250k goal, Fangamer will work with Tomato to adapt his work into a book, which we think will be of equal interest to aspiring translators and general EarthBound fans alike! These books will be made available to our backers as add-ons if and when we reach that goal.

TLDR: The money if they hit $250k will go to producing yet a third book about the changes that were made when porting the game from Japanese to English and why they were changed.

Drago

Adding on a Mother 3 handbook to my pledge. Woo!

And, hot damn, having a Legends of Localization book for Earthbound would be amazing. I love reading the LoL pieces Tomato posts online, they're super in-depth and a great read. There's been a big surge in backers as of late so I'm confident they'll hit it by the time the KS ends...!

They're out to get all of my money, aren't they >_>

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wish I could afford to get the $128 bundle right now. I'll wait for it all to become available since it's obvious it's going to happen. The hardcover EB manual will look amazing next to my M3 one.

Minions

Convention Achieved! ($200,000 Goal)

Excerpt from the update:

Fangamer said:
Camp Fangamer

In summer 2015, we'll be running an event called Camp Fangamer: a convention that may or may not become an annual event. We'll see how it turns out! We're still working on a website for this event, so in the meantime here are the details I can share:

Capacity:450 attendees(Starting off small, since we've never done this before)
Dates: July 18-19, 2015 (Saturday-Sunday, with a possible pre-party on Friday night)
Ticket Price: $50
Main Event: The EarthBound Bash - two days of playing a 20-year-old RPG for charity
Other attractions: retro gaming rooms, live music performances, panels, and more

We've already worked out a great deal with the Hilton to take over most of the hotel, so that's locked in! When tickets go on sale, we'll also have a special group rate for hotel rooms (about $60-70/night).

If you really want to get tickets right now, check out the new CHOSEN FOUR tier at $2,048! Backers at that tier will get tickets for four people, a hotel room for all three nights, and a group dinner with Marcus Lindblom (EarthBound's localization director) plus some of the Fangamer crew!

Otherwise, we're planning to begin selling tickets in January. Here's how it's going to go down:

150 of the tickets will be made available to backers at the $128 tier and above before anyone else
150 of the tickets will be made available to the rest of the backers afterward (including $128+ tier backers that missed their chance in the first round)
150 of the tickets will be made available to the public after the backer-exclusive pre-sales

The next goal level is $225,000. At this goal the Psychokinetic album will be a two-disc album instead of a single-disk album!

The kickstarter is currently sitting at $205,737 with 6 days to go. Personally hope we can stretch out and hit $250k. If that happens a third book will be produced regarding the changes the translation team had to make in order for Itoi's humor to make sense to western audiences.

Top Bottom