• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola victim was on his way to US

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I don't get flagged for saying this but What if someone brings it to the US intentionally? In all honestly I'm surprised someone hasn't tried it already.

That could be a terrifying scenario. Like someone from a terrorist organization intentionally infecting people on a flight to the US by just sneezing on a few people or objects that people would come into contact with. The flight would probably be too short for people to realize they were infected right away. They wouldn't even need to hi-jack the plane or anything.

Enco

That could be a terrifying scenario. Like someone from a terrorist organization intentionally infecting people on a flight to the US by just sneezing on a few people or objects that people would come into contact with. The flight would probably be too short for people to realize they were infected right away. They wouldn't even need to hi-jack the plane or anything.
Can take up to 21 ish days before you start seeing symptoms.

88% sorry to break you the news

Woops, yeah, 60% http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFKBN0FY0JF20140729

Ebola has killed 672 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since it was first diagnosed in February. The fatality rate of the current outbreak is around 60 percent although the disease can kill up to 90 percent of those who catch it. Highly contagious, its symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and internal and external bleeding.

O_O

seriously, countries (and maybe even neighboring countries) affected by this disease should have all transport in and out cut off. ebola is too dangerous to screw around with

You guys clearly aren't watching THE STRAIN right now on FX. Population decimating virus? Pfft! Humanity won't close borders, stop travel, or do a damn thing that screws with money until it's FAR too late.

If we gotta go out, I really don't want to go out like that. How can you fight that??

Enco

Well there we go. People would have it and not even know while they unintentionally spread the virus.
Supposedly you're only contagious when you start showing symptoms though.

For a few days you can't tell it's Ebola so that might help you spread it.

Not sure of the logistics of how someone could infect a huge amount of people.

Infecting the food on a plane and then hoping people don't get checked out at first symptoms could work I guess.

Thinking too much into this lol. I'm no disease expert/terrorist.

Pls don't track me FBI

jmdajr

Sephzilla

Dumb Americans, why do we work so much!

Because most places tend to give few paid sick days, or worse yet include sick days as part of general vacation time, and that effectively encourages workers to come into work sick in order to preserve their vacation time.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
You guys should read Panic in Level 4 by Richard Preston. Ebola is one of the things covered. Short read which includes other interesting stories and information. I recommend it.

jmdajr

Because most places tend to give few paid sick days, or worse yet include sick days as part of general vacation time, and that effectively encourages workers to come into work sick in order to preserve their vacation time.

Vince McMahon. 'Why be sick at home when you can be sick at work?" Who knew this would be the end of WWE.

Abounder

Banned
Yea a major outbreak is unlikely in the USA, but just imagine if infected people went to a huge convention....nightmare fuel

slit

That's part of it but it's not the only reason. If you're a professional you're taught to make a your career the most important factor in your life. Some people even make it more important than family.

oxidax

Time to get one of this things

UMQp2kD.jpg

The Lamp

My thinking: the irony is it might be more economically productive overall if there was a universal allotment of sick days for every worker a year, because it would encourage less people to go to work sick, which would cause less common colds and flus and other shit to go around and make other working people sick and multiply lost wages and productivity.

Terra

This is absolutely scary and nightmare-ish.

I think I'll just leave society to go living in a cabin in the woods. Supplying myself with self-made food. Not letting anybody near and living like this for 5 years.

this is seriously my plan if stuff goes out of hand

Nuklear

Banned
What I find scary is a lot of people are saying... even if an infected got to the US it'll never spread and I'm like WTF. This is a very serious threat which is getting very little airtime. It's spread to three African nations already and it will not stop there. This is a virus that could potentially at the very least kill off 60% of the population. We are long overdue for a population culling disease/virus thanks to antibiotics.It's only a matter of time before Mother Nature catches up and Ebola to me is the tipping point.

Amir0x

Banned
Time to get one of this things

UMQp2kD.jpg

no lie i'd live in one of those if I could have a shower room right outside it and i could have walls that were instead shaded so I could see out but no one could see in

(and there was a place close enough for wifi)

Terra

What I find scary is a lot of people are saying... even if an infected got to the US it'll never spread and I'm like WTF. This is a very serious threat which is getting very little airtime. It's spread to three African nations already and it will not stop there. This is a virus that could potentially at the very least kill off 60% of the population. We are long overdue for a population culling disease/virus thanks to antibiotics.It's only a matter of time before Mother Nature catches up and Ebola to me is the tipping point.

Pretty much this, yeah.

BlackJace

I remember when Swine Flu was supposed to kill us all.

You seem to know very little about this subject.

First off, it's getting plenty of air time because it scares people who know little about it. Mortality rate != percentage of the global population it will kill off if it spreads. It's not very contagious, it needs bodily fluids which means extremely close contact to an infected person.

Any developed country has protocols and measures to limit any possible infected people, it would never get as bad is it is getting in Western Africa, it simply won't happen.

Chichikov

At the very least!

For real, chill.
We had outbreaks of Ebola in dense African cities, it tend to cap in a few hundred cases, it can't inflict the type of damage you're fearing, especially not in first world countries.

malaria kills more people in 90 minutes than ebola has in the past 27 years

I just made up that statistic, but I bet you I'm right.

same goes for the flu. are you a doctor working on patients with ebola for 20 hours a day? are you a family member of someone who's died of ebola? are you handling the dead body of someone who's had ebola? if no, then you have no reason to be afraid. that said, the longer this breakout goes on, the more chance the virus has to develop into a strain that is more communicable. from what I've been told, it has a long, long way to go, but we're giving it a helping hand by letting the outbreak persist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom