• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola victim was on his way to US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gov/Wealthy folks are/have been investing in bunkers/seed banks, etc. Robots will do the labor that folks won't be around to be. But, im going to go with my gut in knowing that I won't be invited by any Trillionaire to share their food ration paste. Reset, sure. but these things are meant to sustain nuclear fallouts for years. Its safe to say a viral plan is in mind, with directions on how to proceed.

What happens when they emerge from their bunker to a world that's been decimated? I'm curious if economies would exist of if money would become more abstract and useless. How long would it take to rebuild structures in place. Who's gonna run the electrical grid and power generation? will there even be communication networks? Will we be communicating with radio again? Who's producing food? Who's running the pumps at the municipal water source? Are humans going to congregate into cities again? Gas? Transportation? It would be utter fucking chaos. Taking a 5 year time capsule hiatus isn't going to prevent anyone from having to deal with these realities.

If 90% goes then even the people who survive are fucked.

This.

So it begins.....
codered_infect.gif

Scary shit.

this made me breathe harder

I hope I don't get flagged for saying this but What if someone brings it to the US intentionally? In all honestly I'm suprised someone hasn't tried it already.

kmag

Good thing the virus hasn't evolved to the point of it being a danger. But a vaccine should probably be in the making

There are a bunch of potential Ebola vaccines which have went though animal trials and a couple which are nearing phase 1 human trials. Whats unknown is how strain specific they'll be or if they'll be effective at all.

This approach is supported by the NIAID, whose Ebola vaccine programs have progressed the furthest. "We are supporting a number of vaccines and they are all in a roughly similar position and getting ready for Phase I trials for safety," says Dr Mike Kurilla, director of their Office of Biodefense Research Resources and Translational Research.
"If these make it through testing what we're likely to see in future outbreaks is healthcare workers and outbreak investigators taking the vaccine under informed consent," Kurilla explains. "Working with those at the highest risk will enable you to see if the vaccine has an impact."
It is too late in this outbreak for vaccines to have enough of a preventative impact, but Ebola will emerge again in the future. If safety can be proven, the stockpiling of vaccines could improve the outcome of future outbreaks.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/25/health/ebola-outbreak-experimental-vaccines/

commedieu

Banned
What happens when they emerge from their bunker to a world that's been decimated? I'm curious if economies would exist of if money would become more abstract and useless. How long would it take to rebuild structures in place. Who's gonna run the electrical grid and power generation? will there even be communication networks? Will we be communicating with radio again? Who's producing food? Who's running the pumps at the municipal water source? Are humans going to congregate into cities again? Gas? Transportation? It would be utter fucking chaos. Taking a 5 year time capsule hiatus isn't going to prevent anyone from having to deal with these realities.

This.

They will be met by me and the surviving resistance. We will have shotguns...

nah, more realistically... they will be the leaders of technology/arms dealers. Ratheon/Boeing/Black OPS projects. I'm sure they will have alternative energy sources, the ability to travel/live in space. Communications launches.. i mean a literall 100 million people who are abundantly wealthy, would more than likely be in a position to have access to these technologies. Robots/Drones are probably 10 years ahead of what we are seeing make it to the mainstream, compared to what these companies are doing in the black.

So thinking of it that way, it really is only an inconvenience to live inside for a while. They will have superior healthy/weapons at that point to do anything they'd like. To control the masses. Robots have hands and feet that can control our vehicles. Im not sure satellite systems would be knocked out unless on purpose. If not a nuclear fallout preventing communication, the technological world would be pretty in place. Probably their own internet/servers. Wouldn't have to rely on the public for food, power, water.. anything. Your machines will do it.

Thats what I'd do.

Enco

Good thing the virus hasn't evolved to the point of it being a danger. But a vaccine should probably be in the making
It's still a pretty big danger but as long as you don't come in contact with an infected person's bodily fluids you'll be fine.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
mucous would have ebola in it.
sweat would have ebola in it.

"bodily fluids" doesn't seem to have people understanding how thorough of a definition it is.

Which is why its not a good idea to sit next to someone with Ebola. Droplet of sweat you don't notice or cant see, you rub your eye, Welp.

Saliva too, and the water vapor in your breath.

Enco

I may be wrong but it's possible, if mutates to easily infect an human subject that would make the virus more recognizable to our immune system and so make him more vulnerable.

My biology could be a little rusty
What do you mean by this?

An idea of how it can infect you:

An infected guy sneezes in his hands and then opens up a door. You touch the door handle and get his saliva on your hands. You rub your eyes. Game over bro.

It doesn't have to be direct contact. Can be through objects. Urine (don't touch toilet seats), saliva, blood, whatever.

Ahasverus

An infected guy sneezes in his hands and then opens up a door. You touch the door handle and get his saliva on your hands. You rub your eyes. Game over bro.

It doesn't have to be direct contact. Can be through objects. Urine (don't touch toilet seats), saliva, blood, whatever.

The glove industry is going to have a boom if this gets to the states.
For the love of god, please don't.

kabel

But how long can the virus survive on the door handle?

Tugatrix

Yeah you right I was thinking of Saliva and Sweat only.

This Virus is really dangerous, 9 out 10 died how to control such a thing? any chance of a vaccine?

commedieu

Banned

This Virus is really dangerous, 9 out 10 died how to control such a thing? any chance of a vaccine?

I mean, when the doctors treating it are dying.. Its safe to say that this needs to be slowed down. It will be out of control if it hits a large area.

Someone should make a GIF of the opening pre-title sequence of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes for this thread.

I mean, when the doctors treating it are dying.. Its safe to say that this needs to be slowed down. It will be out of control if it hits a large area.

Ebola's only contagious for a short period of time because the infected patient dies so quickly. In a Western country they would just declare a quarantine and tell everyone to stay home for about 3-7 days, by that time all infected patients will have died and the outbreak will burn itself out.

Saliva too, and the water vapor in your breath.
Yes they contain the virus but at much lower levels. It's not like if a few viruses get on you you automatically get the disease.

There is something like 20 million people in the infected area. There have been fewer than 2000 cases over half a year with a meager response. Were talking about a little over a million total spent by countries outside of the region.

Let's be realistic about this.

The moment this spreads you'll see money flow and a real response from more than underfunded NGOs

DarkKyo

The thing about an outbreak like this is that probably a lot more are infected than we think at the moment but they just haven't started feeling the deadlier symptoms yet(and still won't for days/weeks)...

Enco

But how long can the virus survive on the door handle?
Not sure sorry.

The glove industry is going to have a boom if this gets to the states.
For the love of god, please don't.
Brb face masks are the new fashion

No idea on what the progress is.

However, not many resources are spent on it because it's not really much of an issue in developed countries.

The market for an ebola vaccine isn't very big and it's not like Africa has some hardcore research facilities with as much money as the US etc. It's sad but if something isn't a huge threat, there's not much interest in fixing the problem.

edit: same concept for malaria

The thing about an outbreak like this is that it's probably a lot more are infected than we think at the moment but they just haven't started feeling the deadlier symptoms yet(and still won't for days/weeks)...
Its a max of 21 days and you only spread the disease when symptomatic or dead. People need to stop watching movies

DarkKyo

Its a max of 21 days and you only spread the disease when symptomatic or dead. People need to stop watching movies

The point I was trying to make is that there are probably more infected than currently thought. I didn't say anything about when/how it's contagious. Sheesh...

Do you have any studies on this disease spreading this way? Because I've read nothing of the sort, and if this were the case with how poor this area is you'd have a lot more infected or dead.

Skab

I don't know much about this stuff. Realistically, what are the chances of this hitting some place like the US or Europe?

Enco

The sucky thing is early on the symptoms aren't too serious so it can be confused for less serious conditions.

Do you have any studies on this disease spreading this way? Because I've read nothing of the sort, and if this were the case with how poor this area is you'd have a lot more infected or dead.
I'll try dig some stuff. Give me a bit.

kmag

Not really, by the time Ebola is externally contagious, patents are unlikely to be ambulatory. The onset of very debilitating symptoms is rapid and external infection is usually possible after those symptoms appear, and aspiration is supposedly a very low infection vector. Typical barrier protection is very effective in protecting health care workers as long as the appropriate procedures are applied.

However and this will give some people nightmares, if a man has had Ebola and recovers, the virus can still be transmitted in his semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery.

I don't know much about this stuff. Realistically, what are the chances of this hitting some place like the US or Europe?

It's always possible for it to spread.

However, sanitation is much better in US/Europe, along with any protocols to quarantine those infected. It would never spread like it is right now in West Africa.

I don't know much about this stuff. Realistically, what are the chances of this hitting some place like the US or UK?
Very remote and if so they would be quarantined and the other people contacted and told to monitor symptoms which would stem any spread as the disease currently propagates.

The biggest issue is people in these places aren't listening to the health officials.

commedieu

Banned
The thing about an outbreak like this is that probably a lot more are infected than we think at the moment but they just haven't started feeling the deadlier symptoms yet(and still won't for days/weeks)...

exxxaccctly. People were hiding from the Doctors for a multitude of reasons. And it appears symptoms do show up later.

Ebola's only contagious for a short period of time because the infected patient dies so quickly. In a Western country they would just declare a quarantine and tell everyone to stay home for about 3-7 days, by that time all infected patients will have died and the outbreak will burn itself out.

Thats a sugar coated view. The problem is, you will have people spreading into areas with symptoms showing later, then becoming contagious in different areas. God forbid someone not be able to afford Americas health care, and stay inside of an apartment to die. Which happens quite often. It is fine to fully acknowledge how easily this can get out of control, without a plan based around how easy it will spread. If we keep pretending this is nothing to worry about, we are going to be in for quite the shock.

Very remote and if so they would be quarantined and the other people contacted and told to monitor symptoms which would stem any spread as the disease currently propagates.

The biggest issue is people in these places aren't listening to the health officials.

Yea. Go watch some videos of the people in the area. They don't even believe Ebola is real, they say it's just a thing the government uses to scare them.

That's the type of shit these guys are dealing with.

Yamauchi

Banned
Fear mongering to the extreme.

This virus would not pose a serious threat to developed nations, and it is actually quite easy to contain. It could cause a serious scare and it'd be CNN GRAPHICS time, but I don't think it could infect more than 100 people before being very rapidly contained.

On the other hand, in the developing world, and more specifically Sub-Saharan African, I think this thing could end up nearly wiping out whole towns and villages. The number of new infections has increased a steady pace, from a few per day in March and April to about 40-50 per day as of July 23rd. Just depends on whether public opinion starts changing in those countries.

raindoc

I may be wrong but it's possible, if mutates to easily infect an human subject that would make the virus more recognizable to our immune system and so make him more vulnerable.

My biology could be a little rusty

you are.
infectiousness (for example: gaining the ability for airborne transmission) is not tied to antigen expression, which is the key to an immune response.

Very possible it's airborne right now and officials are scared to inform the public.

And you're basing this on what?
"Very possible"... in times like these posts like this serve nothing but to spread fear and insecurity. this should be bannable. my opinion.

Tugatrix

Not sure sorry.

Brb face masks are the new fashion

No idea on what the progress is.

However, not many resources are spent on it because it's not really much of an issue in developed countries.

The market for an ebola vaccine isn't very big and it's not like Africa has some hardcore research facilities with as much money as the US etc. It's sad but if something isn't a huge threat, there's not much interest in fixing the problem.

edit: same concept for malaria

The industry can have some stupid logic, this might become a developed country problem soon and the execs are looking to excel sheets calculating the cost of research, it's sickening some times.

They might live, but it would be a giant reset button on society if 90% were wiped out. I'm curious how society would react. Especially to those who cannot contribute in any meaningful way once things start to get crazy. I always think of "The Stand" when discussing these topics.
Survivors (the BBC series) comes to mind as well.

Very possible it's airborne right now and officials are scared to inform the public.

if it was airborne... it'd be a whole lot worse. so bad that they wouldn't be able to cover it up. and continents would be on lock down...

I thought the 9/10 was a clever joke that the most deadly forms of Ebola kill 9 out of every 10 people they infect (well, 88% but 9/10 is close enough)

if caught in the early stages the death rate drops to only 60%!!

This is what keeps being repeated in these threads. That we have nothing to fear about an outbreak in the US and that we would contain it easily if it started.

I'm really skeptical of such a positive outlook.

an outbreak is possible anywhere, but it'll be more containable compared to remote africa where their infrastructure and medicine is not even comparable to a beaver dam.

anyways, reports are saying this will last into the fall, so it's not going anywhere soon (unless internationally)

Enco

Not really, by the time Ebola is externally contagious, patents are unlikely to be ambulatory. The onset of very debilitating symptoms is rapid and external infection is usually possible after those symptoms appear, and aspiration is supposedly a very low infection vector. Typical barrier protection is very effective in protecting health care workers as long as the appropriate procedures are applied.

However and this will give some people nightmares, if a man has had Ebola and recovers, the virus can still be transmitted in his semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery.
Good point but you can still be infectious without severe symptoms.

Did some reading and it seems that aerosol spread is actually very rare so sorry if I mislead with my last post.

The most likely route of spread is through direct contact or through re use of needles or needlestick injury etc. Indirect contact can also happen. Here's some more info on transmission through contaminated objects.

Sciencedirect.com has some good stuff. Here's a PDF that's pretty interesting. It talks about some airline guidelines from the CDC and talks about indirect contact.

The industry can have some stupid logic, this might become a developed country problem soon and the execs are looking to excel sheets calculating the cost of research, it's sickening some times.
I can see what you're saying but where's the money going to come from?

It's sad how research in certain things is lacking and there are some pretty terrible drugs/things that go on in pharmaceutics. Money is the at the heart of this though. If there were unlimited resources great things would happen.

If you were in charge of research, would you rather dedicate resources to cancer research or malaria/ebola?

Tugatrix

if caught in the early stages the death rate drops to only 60%!!

That isn't comforting, is deadlier than black plague

I can see what you're saying but where's the money going to come from?

It's sad how research in certain things is lacking and there are some pretty terrible drugs/things that go on in pharmaceutics.

However, if you were in charge of research, would you rather dedicate resources to cancer research or malaria/ebola?

The state can fund it, should fund it. My cousin is researcher in Malaria field, their funding come from the Portuguese State. Given that was a disease that affect this country until some decades ago and still can return, they receive public funding.

kmag

There are plenty of Ebola vaccines in development. Some are in or near phase 1 human testing (where healthy volunteers take it) but haven't progressed to phase 2 human testing where efficacy is measured that's tricky because you need an actual outbreak to test efficacy. At the moment I don't think any of the potential vaccines are either quite there for use in this outbreak or the ones which are not suitable for this strain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom