• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola victim was on his way to US

Status
Not open for further replies.
This applies to central africa, where it kills entire villages without any outside contact.

An outbreak at a US airport or major metropolitan area? It'll spread like wildfire.

Containment would be easier though. The reason it tends to spread in villages is that people care for their loved one without any protection. There's also little in the way of quarantining and such.

It would probably initially spread if it ever hits a metropolitan area, but once the first symptoms begin to present and the message gets out about the virus and what to look for, it wouldn't be hard to stop it from being a major threat.

It not being airborne will probably be our saving grace if it ever reaches metropolitan areas.

That's not to say hundreds wouldn't die, but it wouldn't progress in a metropolitan area the same way it tends to progress in a village.

Castcoder

Banned
I'm going to switch to an online college, subscribe to Amazon food/beverage/toilet paper deliveries, and never leave my house. I know the delivery guy is gonna kill me, but at least I'll be able to live a bit longer.

Abounder

Banned
I hope to the gods that all countries will have the medical readiness to contain Ebola. China recently quarantined a city of 30,000 for a potential Black Death/Bubonic Plague outbreak, but it has been lifted

Konka

Banned
This is what keeps being repeated in these threads. That we have nothing to fear about an outbreak in the US and that we would contain it easily if it started.

I'm really skeptical of such a positive outlook.

You're right. When WW3 starts due to Ukraine we'll never see the global Ebola plauge coming.

Ebola isn't new and there are good reasons it flourishes in place with extremely poor sanitation

kabel

I'm going to switch to an online college, subscribe to Amazon food/beverage/toilet paper deliveries, and never leave my house. I know the delivery guy is gonna kill me, but at least I'll be able to live a bit longer.

Amazon Prime Air.

Well.....someone still could sneeze on your food :/

Krakn3Dfx

Whelp, it's been fun while it lasted.
4ve6g9J.gif

Linkhero1

What about coming into contact with urine? I'm afraid that the back splash from the urinal being used by the gentlemen next door might come in contact with my skin.

I wonder how long it will take for humans to end up like the Quarians from Mass Effect wearing full suits and all that jazz, instead of our immune system being garbage like the Quarians we will be wearing them because the viruses would've evolved to become highly deadly meaning we cant even breath the air on our own planet due to the chance of contracting something.
Dunno if this is even possible scientifically :/

jmdajr

Supposedly it doesn't spread when you don't have symptoms. But shit, people don't know when the fuck to stay away from work even when they are dying.

E92 M3

Supposedly it doesn't spread when you don't have symptoms. But shit, people don't know when the fuck to stay away from work even when they are dying.

Unfortunately, many people do not get sick days and some even get chastised for staying home sick.

I wonder how long it will take for humans to end up like the Quarians from Mass Effect wearing full suits and all that jazz, instead of our immune system being garbage like the Quarians we will be wearing them because the viruses would've evolved to become highly deadly meaning we cant even breath the air on our own planet due to the chance of contracting something.

It's time to go live in space.

You're right. When WW3 starts due to Ukraine we'll never see the global Ebola plauge coming.

Ebola isn't new and there are good reasons it flourishes in place with extremely poor sanitation

Well sure. But those same reasons it flourishes there are also why it's stayed contained there. It kills too quickly after infection. How many times has Ebola reached major metropolitan areas btw?

Only a matter of time, imo. The more we battle it, the more nature will evolve it.
I'm not for freaking everyone the fuck out but the rate in which things mutate and adapt at that level is greater than my confidence level in those that maintain that it won't get to a point that it'll be a problem.

That said, I'm more worried about some nutjob shooting me than I am in contracting a fatal virus.

Sephzilla

This. My boss said the next time I call in sick I am fired. So I just buy Dayquil to hide my symptoms.

What you do in this scenario is get sick as fuck and make sure it spreads to your boss. And then give him the coldest look humanly possible when he complains about being sick.

Which would be mainly the worlds 1% so... not a good outcome for the rest of us.

They might live, but it would be a giant reset button on society if 90% were wiped out. I'm curious how society would react. Especially to those who cannot contribute in any meaningful way once things start to get crazy. I always think of "The Stand" when discussing these topics.

commedieu

Banned
They might live, but it would be a giant reset button on society if 90% were wiped out. I'm curious how society would react. Especially to those who cannot contribute in any meaningful way once things start to get crazy. I always think of "The Stand" when discussing these topics.

Gov/Wealthy folks are/have been investing in bunkers/seed banks, etc. Robots will do the labor that folks won't be around to be. But, im going to go with my gut in knowing that I won't be invited by any Trillionaire to share their food ration paste. Reset, sure. but these things are meant to sustain nuclear fallouts for years. Its safe to say a viral plan is in mind, with directions on how to proceed.

Jarmel

Banned

If 90% goes then even the people who survive are fucked.

raindoc

in the long run, a virus would evolve to become less lethal, because killing it's host/reservoir means that the virus would terminate itself.
exhibit A: ebola, which doesn't spread like HIV due to it highly virulent nature.

Yea it's legit I'm pretty sure. It can be transferred airborne in the lab via monkeys.

Not been documented between humans though.

From symptoms to death it takes around 1-2 weeks.

Good thing the virus hasn't evolved to the point of it being a danger. But a vaccine should probably be in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom