• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ebola victim was on his way to US

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Why? If you sneeze into your hand then you spread it to everything you touch. If anything, sneeze and cough onto your upper arm/shoulder or something.

If I'm outside I just bend over and sneeze on the ground.
I get weird looks, but I don't care. If people can't figure out why I'm doing that, then their opinions are worthless anyway.

Enco

That isn't comforting, is deadlier than black plague

The state can fund it, should fund it. My cousin is researcher in Malaria field, their funding come from the Portuguese State. Given that was a disease that affect this country until some decades ago and still can return, they receive public funding.

Would be nice but I don't see these diseases getting too many resources being handed to them.

I'm not head of a R+D though so who knows!

The chances of ebola/malaria being huge in developed countries is low. There's still some research being done on them but nothing insane I believe.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
If I'm outside I just bend over and sneeze on the ground.
I get weird looks, but I don't care. If people can't figure out why I'm doing that, then their opinions are worthless anyway

Fuck yeah.

I do this too. I don't understand why the fuck no one else does this.

kmag

Good point but you can still be infectious without severe symptoms.

Did some reading and it seems that aerosol spread is actually very rare so sorry if I mislead with my last post.

The most likely route of spread is through direct contact or through re use of needles or needlestick injury etc.

Sciencedirect.com has some good stuff. Here's a PDF that's pretty interesting. It talks about some airline guidelines from the CDC and talks about indirect contact.

I can see what you're saying but where's the money going to come from?

It's sad how research in certain things is lacking and there are some pretty terrible drugs/things that go on in pharmaceutics.

However, if you were in charge of research, would you rather dedicate resources to cancer research or malaria/ebola?

When you're asymptomatic you can be infectious via blood but symptoms have to be relatively pronounced before you're sweating it out or potentially aspirating it. After Incubation initial Ebola symptoms are rapid, you're not walking about with a sore head and sore throat for a couple of days, it hits extremely quickly and very hard.

Look it's a terrible virus, but in the cases where people have presented with Ebola or Marburg (a close relative of Ebola) in Western health centres neither patent was immediately diagnosed with Ebola and normal barrier protection protected their healthcare providers and there was no spread to either their healthcare providers or their families and colleagues.

Tugatrix

Would be nice but I don't see these diseases getting too many resources being handed to them.

I'm not head of a R+D though so who knows!

The chances of ebola/malaria being huge in developed countries is low. There's still some research being done on them but nothing insane I believe.

Here still hold some collective fear, given that took us years to eradicate the mosquito that carried the disease. The problem is that only when we become a developing country we harvest the resources to do something about it, african nations still don't have those resources :(

Enco

When you're asymptomatic you can be infectious via blood but symptoms have to be relatively pronounced before you're sweating it out or potentially aspirating it. After Incubation initial Ebola symptoms are rapid, you're not walking about with a sore head and sore throat for a couple of days, it hits extremely quickly and very hard.

Look it's a terrible virus, but in the cases where people have presented with Ebola or Marburg (a close relative of Ebola) in Western health centres neither patent was immediately diagnosed with Ebola and normal barrier protection protected their healthcare providers and there was no spread to either their healthcare providers or their families and colleagues.
I'm not sure of the exact timescale between the primary symptoms of fever etc and the more serious secondary symptoms. What timeline do you think it follows? Serious question by the way. Would be interested in the answer. I know that you'll probably die within 2 weeks but don't know the specifics.

Here still hold some collective fear, given that took us years to eradicate the mosquito that carried the disease. The problem is that only when we become a developing country we harvest the resources to do something about it, african nations still don't have those resources :(
The sad part of life. No money = no resources to help.

I find this stuff really interesting. The fact that we don't know 100% where ebola/marburg comes from is pretty scary. We have ideas but it's still a bit of a mystery. Scary stuff.

This is an awful awful scenario in Africa but literally every expert has said there is zero chance of a worldwide epidemic, this outbreak is due to sanitary and cultural issues. I mean the most useful advice here is "don't touch anyone bleeding out of every orifice." But sure, perhaps the people shitting their pants with fear know better.

kmag

I'm not sure of the exact timescale between the primary symptoms of fever etc and the more serious secondary symptoms. What timeline do you think it follows? Serious question by the way. Would be interested in the answer. I know that you'll probably die within 2 weeks but don't know the specifics.

The sad part of life. No money = no resources to help.

The below is from a 1976 case report from Zaire, there's a case study of 103 cases from Congo which is a bit better but I don't have a digital copy (http://cel.webofknowledge.com/Inbou...ID=Highwire&IsProductCode=Yes&mode=FullRecord)

The early symptoms include fever, headache, myalgia, diarrhoea and vomiting, which are non-specific and may not indicate the serious and highly lethal nature of the infection. The characteristic triad of features which leave little doubt about the diagnosis, namely haemorrhage, rash and severe sore throat occur later during the course of the infection at a stage when its progression to death may be irreversible.

The rash in these three cases was morbilliform and started on the front of the trunk on day 5 or 6, spread to the back, buttocks and limbs on the following day and disappeared the day after.

On examination the throat of Case 1 showed reddening in the early stages which progressed over the next few days to severe, red, oedematous, tender swelling of the soft tissues which caused great difficulty in swallowing.

In Sister M.E., severe dysphagia as well as dyspnoea resulted from the swollen tissues at the back of the throat which was preceded by intense reddening of the tongue and throat on day 3 when she also had conjunctival injection.

Haemorrhage was manifested in Case 1 by oral and conjunctival petechiae on day 4 of illness, haematemesis and melaena from day 5, gingival bleeding on day 7, and bleeding injection sites on day 8. Case 2 had melaena from day 6. Case 3 had one slight haematemesis with fresh blood on day 7, susbsequent vomitus being free of obvious fresh or altered blood. On day 8 she had some melaena, and large echymoses developed, especially over pressure points such as elbows and shoulders. She also manifested marked swelling of the face and upper extremities on day 7 of illness. Urinary output at this stage was good and in balance with fluid intake.

Case 1 exhibited erythematous swelling of the vulva. All three patients were mentally alert until shortly before death. Anxiety was very marked in Case 3.

Jeez, what made it get to that point? Did you call in sick like every day or something?

If Dayquil is resolving symptoms that usually cause him/her to call out sick, they've likely between staying out of work for some bullshit. I probably would have done the same thing.

kirby_fox

Banned
This is an awful awful scenario in Africa but literally every expert has said there is zero chance of a worldwide epidemic, this outbreak is due to sanitary and cultural issues. I mean the most useful advice here is "don't touch anyone bleeding out of every orifice." But sure, perhaps the people shitting their pants with fear know better.

It's not necessarily the blood that spreads this, I would assume it's more likely spit and mucus. Someone sneezes on you with it, or you drink from the same cup without it being properly washed at high temperatures can spread this shit easy.

Experts have also been waiting for an epidemic for years with a strain of influenza. Why not add things like ebola while we're at it?

I'm more concerned that a disease we know so little about we're acting as if it's well contained, when it's obvious it's not as contained as we thought.

Mariolee

If Dayquil is resolving symptoms that usually cause him/her to call out sick, they've likely between staying out of work for some bullshit. I probably would have done the same thing.

That's what I was thinking but I didn't want to be the first asshole to point that out.

Ecto311

Shit swine flu almost killed me years ago. Don't think id make it past this one. Good thing I like in a small town.

It's not necessarily the blood that spreads this, I would assume it's more likely spit and mucus. Someone sneezes on you with it, or you drink from the same cup without it being properly washed at high temperatures can spread this shit easy.

Experts have also been waiting for an epidemic for years with a strain of influenza. Why not add things like ebola while we're at it?

I'm more concerned that a disease we know so little about we're acting as if it's well contained, when it's obvious it's not as contained as we thought.
This reads like the stuff that was said about AIDS in its early years, no science to back it up, just 'assumptions'

Vashetti

Banned
Does anyone know where I can find a brief rundown of the recent outbreak, or can write out one for me themselves?

Preferably in bullet-point format.

Philia

I'm not for freaking everyone the fuck out but the rate in which things mutate and adapt at that level is greater than my confidence level in those that maintain that it won't get to a point that it'll be a problem.

That said, I'm more worried about some nutjob shooting me than I am in contracting a fatal virus.

You are more likely to get hit by a drunk driver than a gun nut. (HIYA!)

I'm more worried about those survivors of the virus. Not sure why, but I tend to think that their compromised immune systems had encouraged the virus to return much more dangerous in some way.

I mean it wasn't too long ago that normal flu had turned into a H1N1 with more deadly pathogens. :\

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Another interesting tidbit of info is that the quoted figures of 30 to 90 percent mortality may not even be correct. In regions of sub-Saharan Africa the population has between 10 and 15 percent antibody conversion. That means they were exposed to Ebola, but had mild symptoms or none at all. For many millions of people Ebola was not a fatal, or even dangerous, disease.

This is from the comment section on the Washington Post blog.

ChrisD

The most worrying part of this whole thing is that people don't even give a care about anyone else. You just don't get on a plane if you know you've got something like Ebola. Shoot, you don't go out in public period!

Human race to decline due to our own stupidity, I swear.

Enco

white blood cells convert into antibodies to fight ebola disease? just a guess. a lot of diseases are detected by the actual testing of the antibodies that are fighting them.
White cells aren't converted to Antibodies. Antibodies are made by B Cells.

So I'm still confused by the guys comment haha.

Maybe he means that only 10-15% produce antibodies. You're right in antibodies being used to detect diseases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom