• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #232 review scores

legbone

Hell yes! 8 for driver. great to see it scored so well. i've been saying it for months. this will be the sleeper hit of the fall.

edit: i hate to be cynical, but now i'm waiting on all the people that shit on the demo to jump on board due to the edge score. there will be more good scores for it in the next few weeks.

edit: nevermind, i'm sorry. it appears to have gotten the high score based upon some type of edge uk bias. i guess it is not possible that the game may be fucking awesome. nope, couldn't be that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
genjiZERO said:
Without any spoilers what's wrong with the newest Yakuza game?
It's a zombie game?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Mafro said:
Love this ridiculous conspiracy theory in every EDGE thread.

not a conspiracy more like an open secret...

Wow to SF64 3DS and Xenoblade deserves 10/10 from what I have played of it and I don't ever like RPG's or JPRG's at all plesantly supprised and kinda addicted to the game love it so far can't wait to push on with it :D

Dammit, now I want to play Xenoblade even more. Really don't feel like importing it though. I'll wait for a US release. I want to believe.

wrowa

You know, maybe Driver simply is *gasp* a nice game. It scored pretty good (85%) in the recent issue of a German print magazine too.

dogmanstaruk said:
jesus christ @ driver.

I was sure it was going to be a mess!

Odds are it still is...

driv3r.jpg

We are just back here again.

Oxx

Clearly the English accents in Xenoblade fooled EDGE into thinking that the game was suitable for ENGLISH BIAS SCORE...

It is simply outrageous that NOA is not localizing Xenoblade. It's a game in an established series, it's internally developed, it was reviewed very well, and it serves a portion of their customer base that is starved for quality software. What in the hell is the deal here?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Edge RPG 9s for current-gen consoles (DS, PSP, PC, 360, PS3, Wii, PC since Fall 2005, iOS):
Xenoblade Chronicles, as noted in thread.
Deus Ex: HR, if you want to count it, as noted in thread.
Bastion: http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/bastion-review
Dragon Quest IX: http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-starry-skies-review
Mass Effect 2: http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/review-mass-effect-2
Bowser's Inside Story (not online)
Demon's Souls: http://www.next-gen.biz/magazine/review-demons-souls (review appears to have been taken off their site)
Fable II: http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/review-fable-ii
World of Warcraft: http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/world-warcraft-review

I excluded the Zelda games as RPGs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
bathala said:
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet 6/10 :(

I did enjoy the game though

It's funny, I liked it a lot too, but I don't disagree with anything in their review:
http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/insanely-twisted-shadow-planet-review

It is short, is is pretty surface level, there's no real advanced play because almost all of the mechanics are kind of pretty basic, and the weapon/tool design isn't half as good as the greats as the genre. The longer it's been since I've played it, the less impressed with it I feel.

I think the art style came together a lot for me and I really liked the game at the time, though. *shrugs*

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
WTF DRIVER
I seriously doubted this game.

Furret

Banned
timetokill said:
Only bad thing I've heard is that they have slow shipping. Maybe they're poorly regarded otherwise, I don't know?

That's a terrible example because The Witcher 2 is a pretty terrible game.

Edge are biased to British games though, I think LittleBigPlanet getting 10/10 was the weirdest one. There was a line in it that said something along the lines of "even though it's a 2D platformer it doesn't matter that the platforming is poor".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jimmy Stav said:
Does Edge typically come late to Zinio? This is my first month awaiting a new issue, and it hasn't updated yet.

It hits Zinio when the issue hits news stands. Regular (non-digital) subscribers get it early.

Nice to see such a high score for Xenoblade. Haven't played it yet myself, but I am really starting to think this will be the best JRPG I have played since FF XII. Hope mine arrives soon.

TheOddOne

Driver review highlights.
- PS3 version was reviewed
- "The story has the feel of a Sunday afternoon TV serial, told with a light heart and easy wit."
- "The shift mechanic is deployed with such inguity and variety that the game rarely gets stuck with its formula, pushing the possibilities to ever more outlandisch effect."
- Leaving mission specific vehicles will automatically turn on a autopilot. In most races the autopilot will do fine, but complex races its bad.
- The game sometimes feels cheap: cops will be relentless. The game will also spawn more cops right in front of you, just to make your live easier!
- The graphics and lighting are top-notch according to the reviewer.
- The cars in the game all drive the same, there are no differences between them.
- After completing the game you can free-roam around the city whenever you want. There are garages to unlock and cars to buy by earning points trough stunts and challenges.
- Multiplayer is really good, some of the multiplayer modes are inspired by FPS's (like Capture the flag, Blitz).
Next Edge teaser has Skyrim logo :)

NE1WeKnow

Neo Member
TheOddOne said:
Driver review highlights.

Next Edge teaser has Skyrim logo :)
"No difference between cars" WTF? Wait til someone who cares about cars does a proper review.

Didn't someone just say the super cars handle like they're on ice & hence stick with the heavier cars? Although I disagree - the super cars are a load of fun when controlled properly as I've spent hours in the demo - but this proves there are differences between the cars.

Kaizer

Banned
So is EDGE a good gaming mag you guys? I only read Game Informer now but my subscription just went belly up and was wondering if there's anything else out there.

mclem

Kaizer said:
So is EDGE a good gaming mag you guys? I only read Game Informer now but my subscription just went belly up and was wondering if there's anything else out there.

I think it's one of the best. People bicker over review scores a lot, but I find the features and articles a cut above. It's a mature gaming magazine in the real sense of the term... if also a little bit pretentious.

That said, there's also GamesTM, their nearest rival over here, and that's a very similar sort of magazine with similar appeal. You might wanna try both.

DRIVER YESSSSSS. Maybe people will give the MP demo a shot now, and stop unfairly trashing the game.

Although them saying all the cars feel the same is not true at all if the demo is any indication.

jgminto

Glad that Driver got a good review, the multiplayer is fantastic. If you haven't tried it yet you should download the MP demo.

Net_Wrecker said:
Although them saying all the cars feel the same is not true at all if the demo is any indication.
Having accidentally warped into a Beatle in a game of Tag I can agree with that.

mclem said:
I think it's one of the best. People bicker over review scores a lot, but I find the features and articles a cut above. It's a mature gaming magazine in the real sense of the term... if also a little bit pretentious.

That said, there's also GamesTM, their nearest rival over here, and that's a very similar sort of magazine with similar appeal. You might wanna try both.

Explain.

Top Bottom