• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 249: Dark Souls II. To be more "direct," "straightforward," and "understandable"

The only thing holding Dark Souls back from being mainstream is its poor explanation of systems. Summoning phantoms is basically the much hated super guide from NSMB only you don't have to die X number of times to use it.

And it should stay that way. Seriously, the game tells how to do all the combat moves right at the beginning. What else do you need to play the game? The lack of guidance actually contributes to the atmosphere, as if you were actually there yourself and had to find things out on your own or from other people. That would be broken if the "game" constantly interrupted you with instructions.

I'm not suggesting the eliminate or modify what you guys love about the game/s. all I'm hoping they'll do is add an entirely separate mode that allows me to garner some modicum of enjoyment from the IP.

Talk about irony. That's not possible. Dark Souls "difficulty" doesn't come from enemy health/damage, but from making the player do all the work and do all the thinking, which is a lost skill these days. It's built into the fabric of the game itself. You can't make the game easier without changing the fundamental design.

Eusis

Most people that say this have never played it at all. And because of such people it took me years till I played Demon's Souls, because I thought it would be Ninja Gaiden NES hard. It's not. It's difficult in comparison to the hand-holding, quest-log-having, grind-to-win, platformer-with-auto-jump games of the current generation.
I dunno, I think if Ninja Gaiden NES weren't sociopathic with the checkpoints it'd be only somewhat harder. A lot of that comes from memorization and knowing how to get past obstacles, similar to the Souls games, just the Souls games don't ever do the equivalent of, say, forcing you to redo ALL OF BOLETARIA because you screwed up and died at the very last boss of it like Ninja Gaiden 1 did.
I'm not suggesting the eliminate or modify what you guys love about the game/s. all I'm hoping they'll do is add an entirely separate mode that allows me to garner some modicum of enjoyment from the IP.
Like said I don't think a separate mode will be a good idea at all, not unless it's something extreme like "you can play offline only" (though even that can cause too much division) or is more like the Easy mode in Persona 3/4's original releases which just started you with a ton of instant reviving items but the balance was the same (ergo, allowing invasions/co-ops to stay equal). Depending on how you'd do it a separate mode would require a divided player base, and by proxy fewer people can successfully invade or play with another player, thus it's better to provide tools to make the game easier if you care to use them, IE more AI partners that will go through a stage, rather than simply throwing a rebalanced Easy mode in that potentially wrecks balance for co-op and invasions.

jyx

Demons souls released well over three years ago still enjoys discussion and fan attention. Dark souls the same. If the new game becomes a Skyrim wannabe, nobody gonna bother keeping the "souls hype" going foward.

And it should stay that way. Seriously, the game tells how to do all the combat moves right at the beginning. What else do you need to play the game? The lack of guidance actually contributes to the atmosphere, as if you were actually there yourself and had to find things out on your own or from other people. That would be broken if the "game" constantly interrupted you with instructions.

Constantly? I would personally add two text boxes somewhere in the game, one for backstabs and one for humanity use and summoning. Would that ruin the game?

Well, for one, a separate difficulty mode would either necessitate time being taken away from the balancing of the core game, and damaging that, or weakening it would ruin it for you as well. The Souls games are a kind of experience greater than the sum of their parts, but one of those parts is a punishing difficulty with a mysterious story/systems/etc. Were they to give you an "easy mode" so that you could get something out of the IP, you wouldn't really be getting anything out of it anyway, because you're not getting the real thing.

It's like saying Megaman is too hard, just give me XOver so I can get something out of it. It's not as extreme as that example, obviously, but I hope you try and get what I'm saying. It's alright that the Souls series doesn't appeal to you. Not everything needs to cater to you. Now that may sound bizarre in a thread of people mewling like children against the idea of someone messing up "THEIR THING" but people who adore the souls series don't have much like it, while there is a glut of less punishing and interesting experiences out there for the rest of you.

EDIT: To add to my earlier point. Say there's an easy mode retroactively added to dark souls, that makes the games difficulty comparable with say...God of War. It'd be a game people would be flying through in 8 hours and then complaining, wondering what all the fuss is about because there's almost no cutscenes and the gameplay was boring.

Constantly? I would personally add two text boxes somewhere in the game, one for backstabs and one for humanity use and summoning. Would that ruin the game?

That would be fine.

I just watched the beginning segments of Darksiders 2 and was disgusted with all the handholding and complete lack of player agency so I thought you were suggesting something like that. Is something like that even a game anymore?

pvpness

That would be fine.

I just watched the beginning segments of Darksiders 2 and was disgusted with all the handholding and complete lack of player agency so I thought you were suggesting something like that. Is something like that even a game anymore?

To many gamers, that's all they know a game as. Anything less is some archaic joke that they don't have the time for.

This is good news. I've just given up on Dark Souls, it's just too damned hard, I haven't got the time. Same with Demons souls, I get the appeal, but I don't have the time, or the skill apparently.

Edit: why do people say, "it's not even difficult". I mean, it just is! I don't know what to tell you, it's one of the hardest games you can buy. It's incredibly punishing, obtuse and about as transparent as a block of wood. Not bashing the game, it's fantastic, but this ludicrous notion that it isn't even hard is crazy.

It's just not though. You already preface your statement by saying you're not good and don't have the time to invest in it and become competent.

It's the equivalent of someone going 2 for 30 in COD in their 1st try then calling everyone haxor surely?

Well, for one, a separate difficulty mode would either necessitate time being taken away from the balancing of the core game, and damaging that, or weakening it would ruin it for you as well. The Souls games are a kind of experience greater than the sum of their parts, but one of those parts is a punishing difficulty with a mysterious story/systems/etc. Were they to give you an "easy mode" so that you could get something out of the IP.

You guys are acting like having different difficulty modes is like moving heaven and earth and something God himself couldn't manage. I really doubt it's that difficult to do...well.

This is good news. I've just given up on Dark Souls, it's just too damned hard, I haven't got the time. Same with Demons souls, I get the appeal, but I don't have the time, or the skill apparently.

Edit: why do people say, "it's not even difficult". I mean, it just is! I don't know what to tell you, it's one of the hardest games you can buy. It's incredibly punishing, obtuse and about as transparent as a block of wood. Not bashing the game, it's fantastic, but this ludicrous notion that it isn't even hard is crazy.

You must play very few difficult games if you think Dark Souls is one of the hardest games you can buy. Just because it is in fact challenging and it can at times be obtuse still doesn't make it nearly as tough as games you could say that about.

You guys are acting like having different difficulty modes is like moving heaven and earth and something God himself couldn't manage. I really doubt it's that difficult to do...well.

Really? Most games have completely awful difficulty settings. The vast majority just tweak health and damage numbers. The only ones I can think of that work well are those made by Platinum Games folks (DMC1 and Godhand Included, of course) and DMC3. In the recent years that is. Apparently Halo does well as well.

Eusis

Miyazaki considers it a failure of game design if they have to put in multiple difficulties, and while on the opposite end of the spectrum (... generally) I believe Miyamoto feels similar. I can understand that, nail one difficulty as well as you possibly can to be the right balance of challenging and accessible, and like I said in the other thread this is infinitely more important to a game with multiplayer of this nature. Standard co-op or competitive stuff and it'd simply not matter.

EDIT: And as noted above difficulties are far from a set guarantee in how they'll work out. I usually look online before starting a game if I'm seriously considering Hard, since it might just be bullshit that isn't actually any fun, or it may even be the intended way to play a game (Halo series). Nevermind when we get Normal rebranded as Easy, yet "Easy" isn't really all that Easy to begin with (DMC3, Astro Boy GBA). Sometimes Easy doesn't really even do enough, I know people were finding Odin Sphere too hard, only to switch to Easy and STILL finding it too hard.

QaaQer

Thing is, if it is there people will use it. Having trouble getting by something? Getting frustrated, put the slider down to 'casual'. Bang, game ruined because there is no reward for beating whatever it was.

I know, the answer to that is "well don't use it", but like I said, if it is there people will use it.

I get the feeling that many believe everyone should be able to beat every game. I think that's why platforming as a genre is dead. You actually have to learn the systems and execute. You cannot bullshit your way through a good platformer, just like you cannot bullshit your way through a souls game.

deviljho

What game or experience are you specifically looking for? I understand that you want two different "modes" to make the game accessible to different "audiences," but what kind of experience are you expecting from this game if it had an "easier mode"?

Can you describe what you are looking for and/or are expecting? Or do you just see another game on the shelf that you'd like to play but can't because of xyz "problems"? I don't know why you are so adamant about changing this game so you can play it, when lots of other games exist.

Eusis

I get the feeling that many believe everyone should be able to beat every game. I think that's why platforming as a genre is dead. You actually have to learn the systems and execute. You cannot bullshit your way through a good platformer, just like you cannot bullshit your way through a souls game.
I admittedly do feel that sometimes this logic DOES hold, but that's mainly for games that want to focus more on story. If you're going to focus more on your story than gameplay, then either make gameplay a (potential) pushover or make it the sort of thing you can brute force past if necessary, IE puzzles instead of action since in games like 999/VLR if you're really, REALLY stuck you can just go online and do what they say.

TGMIII

I'm not sure what you're personally going to gain from playing on an easier mode. You've already said that you found it too hard and that you don't have the time to improve, so do you want a mode where the challenge is removed just so you can get to the end of the game? What is an easier difficulty mode going to give you that you can't get from the game right now?

Personally I don't understand the people who say that they'd welcome an easier difficulty. Have you guys thought that maybe the souls games just aren't for you? (I mean this in the least condescending way)
I keep trying to get into 4X games and just can't wrap my head around everything but I don't then ask for everything to be simplified just for me.

UrbanRats

Why people think elitist is an insult, I'll never understand.
It's just an insult if you consider it an insult.
I added "pricks" in, exactly because "elitist" in and out of itself is not necessarily an insult.
An elitist in an elitist, an elitist prick is an elitist, who has to be a prick about it.

There is no way to implement an easy mode where I would not have to deal with it at some point. If I see it, I'll have to choose to not to pick it despite it being the strategically superior option (as relative to "reaching the end point") and then push the existence of it to the back of my mind. This is a hideous activity that I hate doing with every game (and boy do I have do it a lot): forcing myself to ignore a side of it that is abominable (in this case, restraining myself from power). The upside is that unlike a broken mechanic found within the combat system, it might be easy to ignore unless it is quite pervasive (don't get me started on games which force you to use quicksaves). I've become quite good at ignoring it, I think most people have if it ever bothered them (I think you would have to have some form of appreciation for arcade classics in order for that to develop), but I can still recognize that I'm doing it.
I sympathize with your personal willpower issues, but how do they factor in what is right and wrong for everyone else? I already said that a straight up "easy mode" selection would be lame, but underlining certain conditions that would make the game easier, at the start (that are already present as of now, in Dark Souls) would not hinder your experience in any practical way.
Moreover, there are plenty of people for whom Dark Souls is not hard enough as it is, and cast themselves in "SL 1 runs" and other escapedes, not required in any way by the game (and not officially rewarded by it); so there are always ways to skip around the game's structures to fit you criterias.

You know that deflation I had for "Dark Souls with easy mode"? I still feel that to some extent when I look at the game-breaking co-op, the multitude of exploitative tactics, and GRINDING. So people want to take that feeling I have for Dark Souls now and make it harder to ignore. At this point I'm busy trying to ignore the fact that Dark Souls already has an easy mode.
Again, i'm sorry but people can't develop a game around your very peculiar psychological needs.
If they find a way to implement an easy mode that doesn't directly alter the "normal" experience, there is no (logical) reason to be against it.

Avoiding some crossover is very hard to do with 100% certainty and here in lies a more immediate problem. It doesn't take much thought to realize there is new found workload that comes with designing multiple versions of your game that have to be balanced to several skill levels (which is not exactly something that is concrete).
Let me stop you right here:
1) Again, no need for 2 or 3 different difficulty modes to balance, just put in several options during character creation (class, starting gift etc) that will make it easier for whoever needs a hand.
And AGAIN, this already happened in Dark Souls, you just had to go ask on a forum instead of taking it from the game, but if you don't want to be Pyromancer + masterkey + Drake Sword + summon, nobody is forcing you.

2) Dark Souls is FAR from being a perfectly tuned and balanced game, so worrying about multiple tiers of difficulty breaking the game is utterly silly, and renders your preoccupations pointless.

3) The Press Realese clearly goes out of its way to point out how the game still aims at bringing you the punishing, challenging, blah blah, Dark Souls experience, so they're not turning ship completely.

Another thing that concerns me that by not forcing gamers to rise up to a higher form, you are eventually allowing the medium to drop in standards. I don't have the facts to support it, so I won't lean too strongly on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the state of difficulty and punishment of games today can tied to the introduction of convenient, accommodating difficulty settings. Because "Normal" sure as hell isn't "Normal". If a good "easy" were to exist, it would be one that before the game is through there is no difference between players of different difficulties. If I was a game developer and someone put a gun to my head, this is what I would try to aim for. I'll add modes called "Child" which results in the main character being turned into a monster two hours in (basically a joke on the player, maybe one that comes back to haunt them), "Adolescent" which is a little more friendly, but stops being so by 2 hours in, and "Adult" which would be the game. And that would be a painful compromise.
This is a whole other can of worms, frankly.
And while i can agree that the standard is made up by the specific examples (so more easy games means lowering the difficulty standard) i also think that different people are "in it" for different reasons.
That's why i think that yes, Dark Souls should remain a mainly unintelligible (to an extent) and fairly punishing experience (again, with a good design behind it, not just retardedly hard) because it's good to have variety and identity, but i also think that there are ways to make this game more soft for some people that might still enjoy it, without hurting in any practical way, players who seek the challenge.

pvpness

Thing is, if it is there people will use it. Having trouble getting by something? Getting frustrated, put the slider down to 'casual'. Bang, game ruined because there is no reward for beating whatever it was.

I know, the answer to that is "well don't use it", but like I said, if it is there people will use it.

I really dug Kid Icarus: Uprising's difficulty selector in this sense. The more hearts you earned, the harder you could make the game and by that, the better the loot would be. It was neat and felt balanced all the way through.

I have no idea what you just said. 2 for 3? Haxor? Dark Souls isn't hard?

I'm so confused.

Joking aside, I honestly have no idea what 2 for 30 and haxor means.

2 for 30 is a 2 kills to 30 deaths score, or a -15 ratio. He basically means that you saying you're terrible and not willing to improve and then wishing the game is easier, is similar to the 10 year old children who inhabit every shooter online, screaming about people hacking because they're garbage.

pvpness

I have no idea what you just said. 2 for 3? Haxor? Dark Souls isn't hard?

I'm so confused.

Joking aside, I honestly have no idea what 2 for 30 and haxor means.

It means that someone plays a game of CoD, kills 2 people, dies 30 times and insists that they aren't terrible at the game but that everyone else is cheating.

I hear it all the time because I'm awesome at CoD. lol.

edit: Snapshots are faster than my aimed shot. beat'd.

Edit: why do people say, "it's not even difficult". I mean, it just is!

Punishing, yes. But I wouldn't say it's very hard. Like Arjen said, you just need patience. Though I can understand if you don't have much time to play the slowish progress can kill it for you.

UrbanRats

It means that someone plays a game of CoD, kills 2 people, dies 30 times and insists that they aren't terrible at the game but that everyone else is cheating.

I hear it all the time because I'm awesome at CoD. lol.

edit: Snapshots are faster than my aimed shot. beat'd.

Sounds like my (1 and only) match at Call of Duty MW2 online.
Though i knew i sucked, at least. :p

NinjaBoiX

i hope nobody from from reads this thread!
The game is hard, I can't understand the vehement refuting of this. Everyone I l know who's played it says so. Every review I've read says so (yeah yeah, journos can't play games, very good). It's only a certain portion of GAF that seem to be trying to convince people it's not. I don't get it.

I play a lot of games. I haven't played a herder game in years.

The game is hard, I can't understand the vehement refuting of this. Everyone I l know who's played it says so. Every review I've read says so (yeah yeah, journos can't play games, very good). It's only a certain portion of GAF that seem to be trying to convince people it's not. I don't get it.

I think you're misinterpreting a lot of people statements. The one I see most often, isn't "this game isn't hard." It's instead "this game isn't THAT hard," that is, not as difficult as people are out to make it seem. You haven't played a harder game in years? Did you play Super Meat Boy? Now that game, hoo boy. That's a hard game.

pvpness

Many of us draw on a long history of video games. In the entire scope of the industry it's not hard to see how Dark Soul's could be considered less challenging than some of the games of yesteryear. These days however, it's harder to find a modern game that's as punishing and obtuse as the Soul's series.

edit: for the record, I haven't played a herder game since Cattle Driver 02'. It's a high bar. (think I'll call it a night at that. yikes)

JoeInky

It really isn't that hard, it just requires you to learn how to play the game which, because there has been like, a total of 3 games released this gen that require you to actually learn how to play, is jarring to you.

The game requires patience and observation. I don't think there are many enemies you can't just back off from and watch their patterns for a while. The actual input side of things is far less demanding than something like Super Meat Boy or Trials. And if you hit a brick wall, summoning phantoms is almost 100% sure to get you past it. Honestly the hardest parts are probably any part that requires you to do a bit of platforming or walking on thin geometry, but even then those situations allow you to go at whatever pace you're comfortable with.

*shrug* idk, but I've played much more difficult games. Games that require a high degree of input skill are much harder for me.

The game requires patience and observation. I don't think there are many enemies you can't just back off from and watch their patterns for a while. The actual input side of things is far less demanding than something like Super Meat Boy or Trials. And if you hit a brick wall, summoning phantoms is almost 100% sure to get you past it. Honestly the hardest parts are probably any part that requires you to do a bit of platforming or walking on thin geometry, but even then those situations allow you to go at whatever pace you're comfortable with.

*shrug* idk, but I've played much more difficult games. Games that require a high degree of input skill are much harder for me.

Christ, I used Super Meat Boy in my example, but I completely forgot about Trials. I can't believe how difficult they get near the end.

NinjaBoiX

I wanna herder game, sounds relaxing.
252px-Herdy_Gerdy_Cover.png

And Trials is one of the most accessible games out there with it's braindead-simple controls ;)

Don't even get me started on shmups. Personally I have no problem with them clearing up some of the more weirdly obtuse and required subjects, hell, even add a seperate on the main menu tutorial dungeon, like how Half Life and Deus Ex handled it. When you start the game, have it ask you if you want the tutorial dungeon. Everybody goes through once, learns the basics, etc. Counter that with the knowledge that well, everybody got the tutorial, so time to ratchet that shit the fuck up later on.

moozoom

I would personally add two text boxes somewhere in the game, one for backstabs and one for humanity use and summoning. Would that ruin the game?

I don't have really any gripe with explaining some of the basic systems, I went to a wiki to understand them and spoiled myself on some late game surprises while looking.

A nice way to introduce and explain gameplay elements would be to meet an NPC like Solaire while he is fighting monsters and see him backstabbing a foe . After the fight he could hint that it's a useful move to kill monsters easily. You could encounter the same NPC or another one at some points of the game and while helping them / seeing them fight, you could learn new tricks that you could put in practice soon after in the level.

I think that Twilight Princess way of learning the combos with the ghost knight was a nice idea too, maybe it could work in Dark souls to have an undead master teach you moves from time to time in a duel.

NinjaBoiX

I didn't quit right away, I played for like 15 hours. But then I hit blight town. And the frame rate dropped through the floor. So now, I'm playing a hard game, with awful, laggy controls (the controls are usually flawless, I admit).

Sorry Dark Souls:

jerryimout.gif

What game or experience are you specifically looking for? I understand that you want two different "modes" to make the game accessible to different "audiences," but what kind of experience are you expecting from this game if it had an "easier mode"?

Can you describe what you are looking for and/or are expecting? Or do you just see another game on the shelf that you'd like to play but can't because of xyz "problems"? I don't know why you are so adamant about changing this game so you can play it, when lots of other games exist.

I'm not sure what you're personally going to gain from playing on an easier mode. You've already said that you found it too hard and that you don't have the time to improve, so do you want a mode where the challenge is removed just so you can get to the end of the game? What is an easier difficulty mode going to give you that you can't get from the game right now?

Personally I don't understand the people who say that they'd welcome an easier difficulty. Have you guys thought that maybe the souls games just aren't for you? (I mean this in the least condescending way)
I keep trying to get into 4X games and just can't wrap my head around everything but I don't then ask for everything to be simplified just for me.

I see words like reward or personal gain. It's a GAME people you get no reward nor gain. Everyone acts as though beating this game the equivalent of them curing aids or cancer.
It's only a game.

linko9

I see words like reward or personal gain. It's a GAME people you get no reward nor gain. Everyone acts as though beating this game the equivalent of them curing aids or cancer.
It's only a game.

If you're not getting something out of a game why are you playing it? At the very least you get entertainment out of it, and in many cases, you get a feeling of accomplishment. Believe it or not some people enjoy accomplishing things in games.

It's only a game.

You're telling me you don't derive any fun from playing games? Isn't that a reward? Also, many people, like myself, get a rise out of conquering a challenge. I got a rush when I killed Vergil 3 in DMD, and beat Allants face in, but also when I was really happy with how a hard job I did in my work turned out. There is an intrinsic satisfaction with the accomplishment of difficult tasks. The Souls games challenge me, and I appreciate that challenge. That certainly isn't the only element that I enjoy, but it is an important one.

deviljho

It's only a game.

You didn't answer the question in the post, yet lumped it with other points. I never said "reward" for winning. What do YOU want/expect from the experience of playing this game provided it had an "easy mode" like you describe.

Eusis

It's only a game.
This is a knife that cuts both ways: who cares if you find a game inaccessible? It's just a game afterall, go play/do something else.

deviljho

This is a knife that cuts both ways: who cares if you find a game inaccessible? It's just a game afterall, go play/do something else.

Seriously, this. You just want to cry about not being able to play a game and put the burden on the developer to spend time and resources to "fix it." You can't explain what experience or enjoyment you'd derive. You can't articulate how such an experience is unique and unavailable from others games.

If it's "just a game" then get the fuck out and do something else.

DS was like, sorry for the word,rape. When u survived it felt great. But you got killed alot. Without a guide you had to learn the system and communicate with others... and this system made it a good "social" game. Talking with people you dont know to get help with a hard game. I will miss that in DS2

JoeInky

DS was like, sorry for the word,rape. When u survived it felt great. But you got killed alot. Without a guide you had to learn the system and communicate with others... and this system made it a good "social" game. Talking with people you dont know to get help with a hard game. I will miss that in DS2

Normally I'm not one to care about the word rape but that analogy is just... I mean come on.

I wouldn't be too worried about the fact that there's a new director for the sequel. The fact that Miyazaki is still on the project in whatever form means that he will have some sway if the new director takes it in a direction that is not befitting of the Dark Souls name. If he was not on the project, then yes I would be definitely worried about.

Looking forward to reading the Edge article. Does anyone know if December 20th is when subscribers get it or when it goes on sale proper in shops?

You didn't answer the question in the post, yet lumped it with other points. I never said "reward" for winning. What do YOU want/expect from the experience of playing this game provided it had an "easy mode" like you describe.

I'd experience the same things as you only with less frustration for me.

Top Bottom