• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #255 - Witcher 3

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Holy shit at The Last Of Us.

Perfect score.

Since when was 10/10 considered "perfect"?

54OoK1l.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Witcher more or less is A Game of Thrones. From the perspective of someone like Bron, or The Hound.

Portman

Infinity Ward is gaming's most secretive studio?!? For some reason I find that funny (I would think Blizzard/Nintendo would be the most secretive).

Dantis

Have you been living in a cage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

yeah he's older in this and has a preference for beards now

Edit: meant to say cave lol.

Hmm? This was already well-known?

He doesn't in the screenshots does he?

The Witcher more or less is A Game of Thrones. From the perspective of someone like Bron, or The Hound.

Pretty much. The tone of Witcher 2 is unbelievably similar.

Funnily enough, the books aren't really very similar at all.

Jb

Geralt looks pretty intimidating. When can we expect the details from the article to be on Gaf?

Boris

Neo Member
I'm going totally blind in to The Last of Us. I've only seen that very first announcement teaser and nothing else. Should be good, it seems.

Giran

Witcher 3 setting the bar for action-RPGs. Cyberpunk promises setting a new standard in futuristic RPGs. Is it just me or are CDPR getting a bit big headed? I know PR is all about hyperbole but at least have a little humility and respect.

Hypron

Witcher 3 setting the bar for action-RPGs. Cyberpunk promises setting a new standard in futuristic RPGs. Is it just me or are CDPR getting a bit big headed? I know PR is all about hyperbole but at least have a little humility and respect.

That might just be something Game Informer wrote though. I wouldn't look too much into it until we get to read the interviews.

Detox

So what's in the Aonuma / LttP2 article?
It's an interview and he says that he understands people want change but they also want it to still be a Zelda game so they are focusing on expanding the ways to play whatever that means. He asked Miyamoto and Tezuka for advice on making a sequel to LttP and apparently they can't remember a lot, he uses the example that when faced with the question of why Link went from being left to right handed, Miyamoto replies "I forget." There is nothing in the game that will force the use of 3D and the gyros will not be used either because of destabilising the 3D effect. The game runs at 60fps in 3D. As he is getting older, Aonuma eventually wants to work on other new ideas not related to Zelda. Though he admits whatever he makes would probably be similar to a Zelda game anyway.

Rehynn

It's an interview and he says that he understands people want change but they also want it to still be a Zelda game so they are focusing on expanding the ways to play whatever that means. He asked Miyamoto and Tezuka for advice on making a sequel to LttP and apparently they can't remember a lot, he uses the example that when faced with the question of why Link went from being left to right handed, Miyamotot replies "I forget." There is nothing in the game that will force the use of 3D and the gyros will not be used either because of destabilising the 3D effect. The game runs at 60fps in 3D. As he is getting older, Aonuma eventually wants to work on other new ideas not related to Zelda. Though he admits whatever he makes would probably be similar to a Zelda game anyway.

Cool, thank you.

Can't take EDGE seriously since they gave three 10s in successive issues.

They did relax their policy of giving out 10s a while back, that's true. However, that's because they felt that the initial stipulation that a title had to be "revolutionary" to earn a 10 meant that in some cases 10s couldn't be awarded to games that were otherwise deserving of them (e.g. Goldeneye, Resident Evil 4, etc.)

So, since 2007 we've seen a marked increase in 10s from EDGE (only five 10s from 1994-2007, with a further nine (now ten, with TLOU) 10s being handed out from 2007-2011).

You could argue that this devalues the coveted "EDGE 10", however I'd say that not giving Resident Evil 4 a 10/10 devalued it much more.

Rehynn

They did relax their policy of giving out 10s a while back, that's true. However, that's because they felt that the initial stipulation that a title had to be "revolutionary" to earn a 10 meant that in some cases 10s couldn't be awarded to games that were otherwise deserving of them (e.g. Goldeneye, Resident Evil 4, etc.).

Resi 4 was revolutionary. So Edge really have no excuse. They did say later that it should have been a 10.

Persona86

Banned
Hmm? This was already well-known?

He doesn't in the screenshots does he?
This was shown a few months ago. but most of the screenshots are far away or at bad angles, it seems to me like some have stubble and some have a more bearded look. Which suggests to me think that you can customize him quite a bit this time. Get prepared for pink hair Garret! Edit: Just found out you can't dye hair. Because silver hair is his trademark.

witcher3cover610.jpg

witcher-3_2.jpg

Sentenza

So is there a reason Game Informer covers look better than Edge covers now?

Wha happen, Edge?
I don't even like GameInformer much (I see it more like a Gamestop brochure than a proper magazine) but as far as i can remember their covers were always quite neat.

On a side note, Bearded Geralt is god tier stuff, but yeah, that was a very old news at this point.

Detox

Has anyone got hold of a copy yet? What do they say about TLOU, apart from it being "EPIC"?
ND have broken free from the few constraints that held Uncharted back from masterpiece status. You're playing an average joe and the gameplay reflects that. There is none of the ludonarrative dissonance of Drake who piles up hundreds of bodies. There is a greater sense of exploration that is rewarded aptly with loot, journal entries, recorders etc. Great sense of character and geographical progression.

"The Last of Us strips away the geek-centric fan service so commonplace in contemporary games." "Naughty Dog has delivered the most riveting, emotionally resonant story-driven epic of this console generatin."

I feel like I am the only person on GAF who dislikes Geralt's beard. Give me back beautiful Witcher 2 Geralt, CDPR. Give him back to me...

Anarkin

ND have broken free from the few constraints that held Uncharted back from masterpiece status. You're playing an average joe and the gameplay reflects that. There is none of the ludonarrative dissonance of Drake who piles up hundreds of bodies. There is a greater sense of exploration that is rewarded aptly with loot, journal entries, recorders etc. Great sense of character and geographical progression.

"The Last of Us strips away the geek-centric fan service so commonplace in contemporary games." "Naughty Dog has delivered the most riveting, emotionally resonant story-driven epic of this console generatin."

Can you tell us something about The Witcher 3? :)

Persona86

Banned
I feel like I am the only person on GAF who dislikes Geralt's beard. Give me back beautiful Witcher 2 Geralt, CDPR. Give him back to me...
Don't lose hope yet.

I found this.
http://gematsu.com/2013/02/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-announced
Crafting is a critical part of maximizing Geralt’s potential, but weapons and armor can be found in many other ways, as well. Players will be able to customize their crafted weapons with additional components like monster scales for leather in armor. Each armor piece will have a unique appearance through the game’s new cloth simulation tech. Also in line with customization, players will have access to a barber to change Geralt’s hairstyle. But you won’t be able to dye his hair.
I have feeling you can choose to have a beard or not too. Maybe like Deadly Premonition, the beard grows after a few days, so you have to shave.

"The Last of Us strips away the geek-centric fan service so commonplace in contemporary games." "Naughty Dog has delivered the most riveting, emotionally resonant story-driven epic of this console generation."

I hope this is true as such, but everything I've seen so far is "dissonance justified by changing protagonist personality", not by changing the fundamental gameplay experience in terms of pacing of combat encounters and concomitant violence. Journal entries and recorders sound more like extraneous trophy crumbs, too. The Citizen Kane of gaming needs to transform the exploration experience so it's essential to the mechanics of the game and not just tacked on exposition.

Yes! I'm so happy that the Last of Us aims to take away the whole Ludo Narrative Dissonance that plagued video games often this generation. Wahoo!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I hope this is true as such, but everything I've seen so far is "dissonance justified by changing protagonist personality", not by changing the fundamental gameplay experience in terms of pacing of combat encounters and concomitant violence. Journal entries and recorders sound more like extraneous trophy crumbs, too. The Citizen Kane of gaming needs to transform the exploration experience so it's essential to the mechanics of the game and not just tacked on exposition.

It is essential to the game though
You need to explore to gain items tat can be used to craft items for stuff like weapons and health packs as well as knowing how to go into certain environments
If you're not going to bother to scope out how to tackle a certain event and not bother to upgrade your stuff you'll probably die pretty quick. It's a lot more than just looking for trophy fodder

Akainu

Good for The Last of Us.

Dust 514 isn't going to be complete for a long time.

And none of The Witcher games are on ps3 so I'm not going to start caring about it now.

shit, if ps3 and xbox are capable of skyrim. Imagine how much better open world games will be on ps4 and xbone with 8 gigs of ram.
?_?

Top Bottom