• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #255 - Witcher 3

sflufan

Banned
Dust 514: 4/10

Still too high imo.

I wonder if we'll see footage of the new witcher engine at e3...
I'm anxious to see if the shitty shadow dithering is fixed in their new engine.

CDPR has already stated that there will be no public showing of The Witcher 3 at E3, but it will be shown behind closed doord.

ced

Goddamnit, I have no reason to worry about CDPR based on their track record, but I always hate hearing something like "bigger than (insert game)".

I prefer a smaller, more detailed and rewarding environment such as the one in Dark Souls, to say Skyrim's massive, rather pointless world.

There is certainly room for improvement going forward from TW2's world, but I don't think they need to get too carried away.

Solo

Goddamnit, I have no reason to worry about CPR based on their track record, but I always hate hearing something like "bigger than (insert game)".

I prefer a smaller, more detailed and rewarding environment such as the one in Dark Souls, to say Skyrim's massive, rather pointless world.

Same for me. Open world almost always = tons of barren, useless terrain, generic fetch quests, unfocused story and loads of other tedious stuff. I've yet to play an open world game outside of Vice City and Red Dead Redemption that I didn't feel like I was just going through the motions after 10 hours or so. I'm done with Bethesda for this very reason.

If it weren't CDPR and Witcher, I wouldn't be getting the game. As far as I'm concerned though they had it right on TW2: linear (but branching) narrative in a faux open world.

Detox

Can you tell us something about The Witcher 3? :)

Bear in mind I didn't read previous previews so I may be regurgitating information.

• There will be no overt tutorial instead mechanics will gradually be introduced.
  • Combat system now has dodge in order to be closer to the pirouettes found in the books.
  • Geralt can choose to execute or spare bandits, though he can loot them either way.
  • They are targeting 30fps on console.
  • Geralt will change his stance according to the task he is faced with e.g. wary if surrounded by a pack of monsters.
  • They added Witcher sense similar to Batman's Detective mode so you can see weak points on monsters like The Fiend's lungs, or outside of battle to re create events like tracking a murderer.
  • Main storyline is 40-50hrs, and another 40-50 in the open world.
  • No "Fedex Quests."
  • Choice and consequence will ripple across the world.
  • Don't want to build a sandbox experience, storytelling is still the main goal.
  • Some locations: Skellige: Nordic-style archipelago, Slavic-like No Mans Land and city of Novigrad.
  • Geralt can jump. In-house motion capturing, though the horse was done somewhere else.

There are screenshots with monsters in them though I have no idea if they are new or not. For example there is a screen of the monster (The Fiend) on the cover (you can see its head on the bottom right) fighting Geralt. The other screens are a burning village (DX11), Geralt surrounded by wolves and fighting flying witch like creatures. Though the demo shown was using DX9 some of the screens in the magazine are using shots from the DX11 tech demo.

Solo

[*]They added Witcher sense similar to Batman's Detective mode so you can see weak points on monsters like The Fiend's lungs, or outside of battle to re create events like tracking a murderer.

nononononononononononono

[*]Don't want to build a sandbox experience, storytelling is still the main goal.

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Gbraga

• Geralt can choose to execute or spare bandits, though he can loot them either way.

That's interesting, but since we already killed pretty much everything in the previous games, I'll just keep it that way. Unless they give you a good reason to change.

Darklord

Banned
Don't want to build a sandbox experience, storytelling is still the main goal.

It's an open world without a sandbox experience? That's a dangerous game they're playing. You make a big open world that's boring as hell and there's no point.

Jhriad

Wish I could still find EDGE locally. I'd really like to pick this issue up.

That's interesting, but since we already killed pretty much everything in the previous games, I'll just keep it that way. Unless they give you a good reason to change.

Gotta get them paragon points bro.

Detox

Is the Witcher sense thing in the form of a potion, like Cat?

Doesn't sound like it, think of it as an ability inherent in Geralt. Speaking of potions they mention they want to make it so they don't wear off and you can drink them during battle. By not wearing off you will be replacing them when you drink another one. Though this change to alchemy / potions isn't 100% final.

Another thing I forgot to add is enemy AI is improved and they are aware of their surroundings to the extent that their behaviour will change depending on if they are inside or outside. For example the enemy will rip stalactites from the ceiling to swing at Geralt if it is inside a cave.

Solo

It's an open world without a sandbox experience? That's a dangerous game they're playing. You make a big open world that's boring as hell and there's no point.

I think they're trying to say that the main plot will drive everything, rather than something like a Bethesda game where the main quest is meaningless and you can just fuck off and do whatever.

Curufinwe

Edge have given a lot of racing games 9 in the past few years.

Burnout 3
Burnout Paradise
Dirt 3
Forza 2
Forza 3
GRID
GRID 2
NFS: Hot Pursuit
NFS: Most Wanted
PGR 3
PGR 4
Ridge Racer Unbounded

Anarkin

There are screenshots with monsters in them though I have no idea if they are new or not. For example there is a screen of the monster (The Fiend) on the cover (you can see its head on the bottom right) fighting Geralt. The other screens are a burning village (DX11), Geralt surrounded by wolves and fighting flying witch like creatures. Though the demo shown was using DX9 some of the screens in the magazine are using shots from the DX11 tech demo.

Thanks for the summary. ;)

They must be new, because of DX11.

Vasili2K38

As usual, even if the score is good for TLoU, I would like to read the review. But even if I'm hyped to the roof with The Last of Us, I'm with EatChildren, the star is the motherfucker witcher with that badass beard that will kill your monsters and plough your women.

Plants vs. Zombies 2 is listed as iOS and Android on the prevoew. Maybe Edge saw an unannounced build?
Haven't read the issue yet but the editorial on MS' conference was fairly scathing. Maybe the Xbone will get a cover next month.

Looks like a really solid issue, best in a while.

massoluk

Banned
I take it that every game reviewer is now grading Surgeon Simulator based on its sublime artistic value rather than on gameplay.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Doesn't sound like it, think of it as an ability inherent in Geralt. Speaking of potions they mention they want to make it so they don't wear off and you can drink them during battle. By not wearing off you will be replacing them when you drink another one. Though this change to alchemy / potions isn't 100% final.

Another thing I forgot to add is enemy AI is improved and they are aware of their surroundings to the extent that their behaviour will change depending on if they are inside or outside. For example the enemy will rip stalactites from the ceiling to swing at Geralt if it is inside a cave.

I'd rather they remained temporary. I recall using a mod to increase the effect time when playing through The Witcher 2 so I'd say just increase the base values a bit.

spanks

If only CD Projeckt did Game of Thrones. : (

Witcher books are essentially Game of Thrones and Witcher world is way more backstabing brutal than GoT.

source: I read both GoT and TW

Man, that would be amazing if CD Project ever got the Game of Thrones license. It's a perfect fit for their story/consequence focus, and they are possibly the best WRPG dev out there. I literally couldn't think of a better choice.

Oh and thanks for the infos Detox!

Woorloog

Banned
  • There will be no overt tutorial instead mechanics will gradually be introduced.

Oh, for fuck's sake!
I hate this in open world games.
Give me all the tools and let me just play. Make an optional tutorial, in form of videos, messages, training area, optional in-game quest, whatever else than gradual introduction if you have to have tutorial at all.
Gradual introduction=no options in early game, fuck that!

Perkel

Banned
Remember Me 8/10, hahahahahaha. Edge drinkin' the koolaid.

I am on their side.

I much prefer to play game that tries something (like "Remember Me" style and sci-fi) with problems than nxt perfect gameplay call of collar game.

Print deadlines!
Might be saving it for a bigger cover story in a month or two with some interviews with Phil Harrison or something.
So is there a reason Game Informer covers look better than Edge covers now?

Wha happen, Edge?
I think they're just trying to sell more issues. Game Informer has quite a cushion because of their business partners.
Infinity Ward is gaming's most secretive studio?!? For some reason I find that funny (I would think Blizzard/Nintendo would be the most secretive).
Yeah that really raised an eye brow for me. It's pretty absurd.
Wow at the Remember Me score. My heart says pick it up but my head says wait a few weeks...
I'm feeling the same way honestly.
I feel like I am the only person on GAF who dislikes Geralt's beard. Give me back beautiful Witcher 2 Geralt, CDPR. Give him back to me...
I'm sure someone will mod it out, right?
TW3 is gonna be awesome, that is all
Probably sacrilegious to say but I wasn't that impressed with them. Looks good, but for a game that already made amazing strides on PC.. this doesn't seem all that fantastic. I guess if they're console screens then that's something to be excited about.
Edge have given a lot of racing games 9 in the past few years.

Burnout 3
Burnout Paradise
Dirt 3
Forza 2
Forza 3
GRID
GRID 2
NFS: Hot Pursuit
NFS: Most Wanted
PGR 3
PGR 4
Ridge Racer Unbounded
Yeah I feel like they've painted themselves into a corner with racing games a bit too much with the scoring. The text always gives me a good idea of what to go for but the scores are meaningless.
Anyone else dream a little dream of an HBO adaptation of The Witcher series?

Anyway, god damn, I can't wait.
Maybe on SyFy?
Teaser is Eternal Darkness?
I can't work it out. Looks like a temperature gauge to me.

Sentenza

I'm sure someone will mod it out, right?
I'm actually quite sure they stated at some point you will simply able to cut the beard in game, if you don't like it.

That would be a fucking crime, of course, but it's an option for people who have a fierce dislike for awesomeness.

They added Witcher sense similar to Batman's Detective mode so you can see weak points on monsters like The Fiend's lungs, or outside of battle to re create events like tracking a murderer.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

DJwest

30 fps on consoles... the next gen reality check starts now for me, I thought that the PS4 specs could handle more than that. anyway, hope that gameplay is shown at e3.

Top Bottom