• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #273 Rime Cover Story, Alien, Destiny, Smash Brothers, DriveClub, Forza reviewed

They overscored Forza, Driveclub, Mordor and Alien imo. Destiny and Smash scores are pretty fair though.

Also, why is a western magazine even bothering previewing a Yakuza game? No one likes a tease, Edge.

I think 7 is perfectly fine for Driveclub, hell, I personally think it deserves more than that (well, excluding the online issues). I can't speak for Forza because I haven't played it - but most who have seem to deem it at least 7 as well, mostly much higher.

Volotaire

I really like that cover, but because there are two logos, the Edge logo looks out of place. It would look much better without the Edge logo.

They overscored Forza, Driveclub, Mordor and Alien imo. Destiny and Smash scores are pretty fair though.

Also, why is a western magazine even bothering previewing a Yakuza game? No one likes a tease, Edge.

7 is overscoring Forza Horizon 2?

1351116165579.gif

Lol at FH2 getting a 7 smh

What should it get?

Back in the day EDGE used to attribute a 1 word description to their review scores:

1 - Disastrous
2 - Appalling
3 - Severely Flawed
4 - Disappointing
5 - Average
6 - Competent
7 - Distinguished
8 - Great
9 - Astounding
10 - Revolutionary

To this day, this is still, to me, and if applied correctly, the best use of a 'full scale' review system that I've seen.

By the above barometer, FH2 is a 'distinguished' racer. I don't think many would argue with that assessment.

Quick question and maybe a little off topic but did they say anything about the new game Informer? I still havent gotten mine yet and it's almost the end of October. It's the Resident Evil Revelations 2 cover?

The RIME cover looks fanastic!

Zia

Hurry up and work app so I can get my Rez making of. Gah. Also, I hope Rime turns out alright but Deadlight was just so oblivious.

7-9 scale this month. Guess this is what happens when you don't have the pages or online presence to review anything but AAA and tent pole indies. Good for Alien: Isolation and Ethan Carter. Surprised by Driveclub (5 in my book). Guess we know what score Smash Wii U is getting next month..

QaaQer

Edge putting Destiny over Wasteland 2 is gonna make for some mighty INTERESTING discussions...

*popcorn.gif*

Wasteland 2 was pretty buggy and unbalanced when I played it, which eventually made things unfun.

Destiny's actual moment to moment gameplay is like crack. If the loot system wasn't broken as fuck past lvl20 because of rng reliance, I'd have no complaints beyond "bad story" and "more content plz".

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'd give Destiny an 8 too. It's an unrepentant, unapologetic time sink game with a great core gameplay loop.

Can I work for Edge now? I used the words unrepentant and unapologetic!

Bumhead

Banned
What should it get?

Back in the day EDGE used to attribute a 1 word description to their review scores:

1 - Disastrous
2 - Appalling
3 - Severely Flawed
4 - Disappointing
5 - Average
6 - Competent
7 - Distinguished
8 - Great
9 - Astounding
10 - Revolutionary

To this day, this is still, to me, and if applied correctly, the best use of a 'full scale' review system that I've seen.

By the above barometer, FH2 is a 'distinguished' racer. I don't think many would argue with that assessment.

I really like this scale.

Alien is a great game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Rime is my most anticipated game that I know nothing about

mclem

Many European magazines cover import titles extensively. It dates back to the times when there was a lot of US content that didn't make it over here either.

Their Destiny review at least gave them enough time to sink a fair few hours into the game so their review is a whole lot more valid than most of the rest that played the game for 1 day and scored it...

watership

I'm guessing the person who reviewed Destiny liked the shooting mechanics and loves replaying the same maps for 100s of hours to get to the "real game", the raids.

Any developers out there, if you want to deliver what Destiny actually promised, I'll buy your game, no question.

Not bitter at all.

Porcile

The scale is also why so few games got an EDGE 10.

It's a shame they stopped following their own logic. Not to say some of the games they've given 10's in the past 5 or years of haven't deserved it, but they definitely loosened their definition of revolutionary somewhat.

Also, the Smash score is pretty good, better than I was expecting. At least Edge seem of ditched their superiority complex in regards to Smash being an actual decent fighting game. Their score for Melee was and still is laughable.

Very surprised the Mordor and FH2 score. Playing those atm and both are great. EDGE was very positive when they previewed FH2, wonder why it's ' only' a 7, which is rather good, considering their scores can be quite harsh. My copy of EDGE will be delivered shortly. Looking forward to read those reviews and the Rime preview.

lmao

Destiny - 8
DriveClub - 7
Forza Horizon 2 - 7

Jenniferokay.gif

It is impossible for me to tell which of these you disagree with - all of them? Also, why? Serious question. I haven't entered the PS4/XB1 arena yet but when I do, all 3 of these would be on my radar.

Xenon

Maybe you should play both games, then you might understand.

I plan to once the promised plus version has been released. Hey maybe by then they will have patched in the missing weather and fixed the server issues. But in the current state it's ridiculous that FH2 and DC received an even score. Edge must have gave Evolution a pass on these issues, giving them the benefit of the doubt that all this will be fixed eventually.

jem0208

Overscored Forza?

Say what?

I am amazed Edge gave destiny an 8.

Destiny is a good game, lots of people still playing it, it just doesn't have a very cohesive story mode, not sure why but it would have made the game immensely better to have a single player journey instead of mission-based drop-in, drop-out co-op.

sbrew

Banned
How the hell is a 7 very high for Driveclub?

It isn't.

However, rating DriveClub and Horizon 2 exactly the same goes against the consensus, especially when you take into account the server issues with DriveClub.

METACRITIC DriveClub: 71
METACRITIC Forza Horizon 2: 86

Usually i respect Edge scores but some review scores seem very very strange.

The one that i especially don't understand is Forza Horizon 2, 7/10... This game is a 9 easy imo. Screams quality all over the place. I want to read what they didn't like in FH2...

Foshy

It isn't.

However, rating DriveClub and Horizon 2 exactly the same goes against the consensus, especially when you take into account the server issues with DriveClub.

METACRITIC DriveClub: 71
METACRITIC Forza Horizon 2: 86

fuck the consensus, they're both amazing to me and both deserve more than their actual review averages.

Not like it actually matters to me, as I'm enjoying them regardless of their score, and everyone's free to have their own opinion, but it's annoying when people who never played a game judge it by its rating.

Top Bottom