• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #273 Rime Cover Story, Alien, Destiny, Smash Brothers, DriveClub, Forza reviewed

Game4life

Banned
It isn't.

However, rating DriveClub and Horizon 2 exactly the same goes against the consensus, especially when you take into account the server issues with DriveClub.

METACRITIC DriveClub: 71
METACRITIC Forza Horizon 2: 86

I think you should remind edge of the consensus and ask them to keep metacritic in mind when giving subjective scores.

Did edge play a different version of driveclub that actually worked? How can they give it the same as forza with all these issues that still aren't fixed?

akashhhhh

I need to stop buying these for one article but that Rez making of must be purchased. The Ouendan one was great. This magazine is freaking fantastic.

Servbot24

Banned
What should it get?

Back in the day EDGE used to attribute a 1 word description to their review scores:

1 - Disastrous
2 - Appalling
3 - Severely Flawed
4 - Disappointing
5 - Average
6 - Competent
7 - Distinguished
8 - Great
9 - Astounding
10 - Revolutionary

To this day, this is still, to me, and if applied correctly, the best use of a 'full scale' review system that I've seen.

By the above barometer, FH2 is a 'distinguished' racer. I don't think many would argue with that assessment.

What if a game is revolutionary in concept but has a disastrous online launch with disappointing graphics and competent mechanics?

GhaleonEB

Here's the cover

b0ofsmfcqaanr-193rrt.png

Gorgeous cover. Looking forward to reading it in a few weeks when my international subscription finally comes. :\

Really excited for Rime, especially once I learned it was combat-free.

pantsmith

8 for Destiny seems to be in line with the Metacritic, especially for reviewers who waited to get through the first week and into the Vault of Glass. This is just something I've noticed, especially since Vault is generally considered the best part of the game. I imagine it says something like "Mechanically excellent, lacking in the story department"

8 for Smash is unsurprising, since its a great game that has bad controls for the platform its on, and a spotty netcode. I could not recommend the game to someone who wants to keep their circle pad working correctly, as great as it is. Wii U version will be dynamite.

I was so ready to discount Rime as just an artsy ICO rip off. But I shall read this with interest.

How did Edge not review Myth II?! Its basically Bungie's best game!

Have you played both?

Yes. I own both.

I think Forza is just a better game. I love all racing games and don't have a circuit or open world preference. I'm not even talking about DC not working online which might change things some but even as a pure behind the wheel racing against other cars, everything else taken away, Forza is just a better racing game.

Seems like Edge isn't putting open world racers on the pedestal, or kicking track racers into the gutter. Thumbs up for that.
Yet they gave Burnout Paradise and Need for Speed: Most Wanted a 9.
An interview with Flying Lotus about TLOU? How random.

But really cool nontheless.
Yeah they seem to interview celebrities every month and ask them about their history with gaming. Occasionally you get some quite interesting interviews but most of the time I've never heard of them. The best one I read was with the writer of the IT Crowd, Graham Linehan

Melchiah

They also gave 9 for Burnout 3 and PGR3, and 8 for MotorStorm. MS: Pacific Rift wasn't given a number, but they thought of it as improvement. So, they don't seem to have a preference for one or another.

I've long called for a greater use of the scale with racing games from Edge. I know a lot of them are excellent but too many games were getting 9s from them imho.

Zia

How did Edge not review Myth II?! Its basically Bungie's best game!

Edge has some crazy-huge holes in its review archives, especially at the beginning of the mag's run. They seemed more interested in technology and trends, dedicating a lot of review space to shit like 3DO games.

Have you played both?

. He'll say he has. But who knows.

People need to stop dick riding giant bombs review score of driveclub. It's clearly an outlier to a game that has received by far more favorable reviews.

Driveclub succeeds where it matters. Its auditory and visual design. Creative and exhilarating tracks, and fantastic arcade/sim car handling. But it's not open world so fuck it right?

VanWinkle

Oh man, that Rime info sounds fantastic! It seems like they're making it a full game with talk of multiple islands and whatnot. That's music to my ears.

Did edge play a different version of driveclub that actually worked? How can they give it the same as forza with all these issues that still aren't fixed?

It worked while reviewers were reviewing it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
What should it get?

Back in the day EDGE used to attribute a 1 word description to their review scores:

1 - Disastrous
2 - Appalling
3 - Severely Flawed
4 - Disappointing
5 - Average
6 - Competent
7 - Distinguished
8 - Great
9 - Astounding
10 - Revolutionary

To this day, this is still, to me, and if applied correctly, the best use of a 'full scale' review system that I've seen.

By the above barometer, FH2 is a 'distinguished' racer. I don't think many would argue with that assessment.

oh, it's weird that almost every game they review is distinguished.

orborborb

Fair scores across the board, though I'd say an 8 is slightly generous for Alien which relies so much on a merely competently executed art style. While Destiny is probably worth a 9 if you aren't handicapping it based on budget and expectations. Their previous Bungie scores are out of whack though, Marathon 2 and Myth are 10s, the Halo games are all 8s.

Melchiah

Europe really likes corridor racers.

Or pure racers, if we stick with meaningless definitions. It's idiotic that linearity in racing is considered negative these days by some reviewers. It's not like there's an overabundance of such racing games on the new consoles, unlike it's with linear shooters, which they're more than happy to praise to high heavens.

QaaQer

Or pure racers, if we stick with meaningless definitions. It's idiotic that linearity in racing is considered negative these days by some reviewers. It's not like there's an overabundance of such racing games on the new consoles, unlike it's with linear shooters, which they're more than happy to praise to high heavens.

I was just looking at they reviews for gt6:

"Gt6 is a relic of the past, just an old fashioned Japanese game that is no fun".

"It is a relic that fails to adapt to modernity..."

Is racing cars old fashioned?

Melchiah

I was just looking at they reviews for gt6:

"Gt6 is a relic of the past, just an old fashioned Japanese game that is no fun".

"It is a relic that fails to adapt to modernity..."

Is racing cars old fashioned?

Sadly, I think arcade(ish) racers are a dying breed, and the press favoring open world above all else is trying its best to hammer the final nails into the coffin lid. It's really unfortunate, as for me every generation has been defined by its racers; WipEout 2097/Rollcage/Destruction Derby, SSX/Burnout, MotorStorm/WipEout HD... Now Driveclub may end up as the last of its kind, if it doesn't sell as much as it would have deserved due to reviewers, who didn't get what the game was about. They judged it for what it wasn't, instead of what it was.

kpaadet

You seem very upset, you should write them a letter explaing how the review made you feel. You could perhaps attach Driveclub's Metacritic score for references.

Yeah they seem to interview celebrities every month and ask them about their history with gaming. Occasionally you get some quite interesting interviews but most of the time I've never heard of them. The best one I read was with the writer of the IT Crowd, Graham Linehan

Thats pretty close to what I would give them.
Burnout Paradise is definitely a 9
Most Wanted 7 or 8.

Top Bottom