• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Meet NeoGAF, the hardcore community shaping the games media agenda"

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I was trying to convey the difference between people who want to join this website because they want to talk about games, and people who want to join because it's the popular thing to do. You have both right now, but with popularity comes a slant toward the latter sort of person.
I understand what you're getting at. What I'm saying is that over 13 years (Jesus Christ) of overwatch on the forum's exponential growth, the desire and drive on the part of the moderation staff to keep things even keeled hasn't changed in my observation - and we've tightened up procedures in several areas to reflect that while still maintaining a bit of a buffer. As long as key stakeholders stay in place driving that forward and keeping that DNA in place, the spirit of this place should continue - no matter how many bar stars look to get inside the club.

onQ123

It's super unflattering, but they were in a hurry to publish due to current events and I didn't have anything appropriate to submit, so I snapped off an iPhone self-shot in front of a wall, figuring it would be heavily cropped, background removed, and thumbnail sized. Yuck! I've asked them to update it.

Too late once it hit the internet it's there forever.

EviLore was offered SEVEN figures for Gaf? How much revenue does this site actually generate?

Perhaps its enough money for him to enjoy living comfortably whilst still being able to run this site in a way that he believes is right... and doesn't want to see what it would become were he to sell it. It could be considerably LESS than the offers he's been given, but being able to do what you love while making enough money to live is sometimes better.

I understand what you're getting at. What I'm saying is that over 13 years (Jesus Christ) of overwatch on the forum's exponential growth, the desire and drive on the part of the moderation staff to keep things even keeled hasn't changed in my observation - and we've tightened up procedures in several areas to reflect that while still maintaining a bit of a buffer. As long as key stakeholders stay in place driving that forward and keeping that DNA in place, the spirit of this place should continue - no matter how many bar stars look to get inside the club.

Thanks for protecting NHL-Gaf!

Kenai

I'd imagine we're painted this way because of some of the posts having influence to...affect things? I don't know, maybe I stay away from a lot of the controversy posts on this site, but I think most of the people here are stand up, and easy to get a long with. I've seen WAY WAY worse forums out there...

I am also amused at how much we apparently affect things when I am constantly told that we don't since we are so out of touch with what the market outside this forum wants or something.

I was trying to convey the difference between people who want to join this website because they want to talk about games, and people who want to join because it's the popular thing to do. You have both right now, but with popularity comes a slant toward the latter sort of person.

I didn't even know it was such a popular site... and heard very little about it. I learned about it mostly from people posting links on other forums to GAF threads... and I eventually found the high-res screenshot thread and HAD TO JOIN.

I then learned how fast threads move here and my mind was blown.

kaioshade

I'm taken aback by this article. I can't believe that we're painted as a pit of vipers, essentially. Have they not looked at any other forums with this kind of membership? NeoGAF is incredibly accepting in comparison as far as I'm concerned.

Until you say you dont like Resident Evil 4

i kid

bluemax

Banned

Meh, in the old days we had cool mods like Wasabi, Wellington and Hito. Now we have droll robots who like to put on airs.

Yourself excluded from the robo comment.

Wow it sure has come a long way. Props to Evilore and the moderators. I remember when we first launched GAF and hardly anyone would post so I had to do daily posts to get the conversation started. Unbelievable how different it is today! Very proud of the hard work they put into the site daily as it's been my #1 site destination for as long as I can remember!

Favorite threads/moments

The Infamous PSP for naked girlfriend pictures incident

The carnival of Stupid

The 'Dragon penis' Thread. If you don't know, don't ask lol

I got work thanks to neogaf, so Im pretty happy to be part of this forum. It also has a pretty good community (even if it has some crazies here and there, but what community hasnt them) so I never understanded some of the hate it got from outside, even if its influential in the industry or not.
Much props to eveilore and the other mods for maintaining it.

May as well use this opportunity to say - in addition to the GT TV thing, I've been working on a feature thing about GAF with Evilore for a little while now. Just about finished at this point. It's a massive behemoth, born out of like 5+ hours of conversations with him on Skype. I think this EDGE article is great to inform and promote GAF, mind (and I'm guessing it'll appear in the print mag too) - but the thing I'm doing goes deeper and nerdier (being a GAFer myself) on aspects of GAF behind the scenes and such. What Evilore said is really edited very little; I just frame it and things, but it's mostly just him left to talk about the site in his own words. So, there's that.

Mooreberg

Lurked from 2000 to 2002, been posting here for about 11 years. It really seems to have exploded in membership count and influence over the past four years. It was kid of surreal to see a time.com article linking back to Shinobi's thread.

Exis

I have been here since gaming-ages, 99% of my time is lurking but even when I am not gaming I come here. Stuff like always online and AAA dudebro games might ruin this hobby for me so I am thankful that GAF exist as it is the only place I know that brings things like this up.

water1111

Banned

honest question, how many users do you think you've perma banned?

Peterthumpa

It's obvious that the line between official media/PR and communities is getting even more thin. Though I should note that GAF's difference, IMO, is the selective way of approving members and the usually harsh moderation (that's a good thing).

This improves the overall community, a lot. And makes us more respected outside.

saladine1

Dayum Evilore turned down millions?

Props to him.

He's just biding his time.
You see, he knew that in the future, GAF would receive even more publicity. Good, bad doesn't matter. As long as publications such as Edge put GAF and Evilore in the limelight, there's always more money to be had.
Now that there's movies, insights and shit about GAF, those potential sale figures will rise.

Yeah, he might have passed over some initial 7 figure sums but again, he's just biding his time for those 8 or 9 figure sums.
Evilore the business man. Brilliant. Genius.

Can I haz sum mUney?

Top Bottom