• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Meet NeoGAF, the hardcore community shaping the games media agenda"

Huh. I used NeoGAF in academic research based upon the idea that commercial entities are interested in the potential influence of the site. Feels good.

Frostburn

The quality of the forums is the reason I've been reading Neogaf for the past 10 years for sure. I don't post as much as I'd like because I don't have the time to read through the threads like I'd need to for great posts/discussion but the Mods have always kept the forum a great place to be and it all stems from EviLore and his drive to keep this a great place for everyone.

koryuken

lzJ9mPK.jpg

Also looks like:

movies_hollywood_brightest_under_25s_12.jpg

genjiZERO

I barely even play games anymore. For the most part I don't really even enjoy them. I tried to play both Skyward Sword and Xenoblade recently, but I found the former half unplayable, and I couldn't quite understand how to play the later. I still love coming on here and talking about them (and OT stuff) though. It's been a fun community to be a part of.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I just want to talk about my digital manchild games.
You might be joking, but this is sorta how I feel. The idea that I am posting on a forum that EDGE thinks is shaping the industry in some way is weird...

PS this article is really going to inflate some poster's egos.

R0nn

Man, Evilore is as old as me. He runs the most influential games community on the web and me? Well, zilch! Nada!

He's right.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm a little confused by the people who think we're getting recognition through this. Unless I'm not picking up on the sarcasm. No blame should be on NeoGAF for Orth's fall. Nor anything else detective Gaf uncovers. We're not destroying anything by doing more legwork than the outlets themselves. We're finding answers.

antitrop

Looks like I'm taking this article in a different light then most of you guys. This article doesn't sound like it's giving us recognition. Comes off as more of a VICE documentary about "those crazy NeoGAF people."

Jeff Green from PopCap agrees: https://twitter.com/Greenspeak/status/322411494820151298

I think we are all just operating under the implied understanding of this fact, which is why it is more fun to talk about EviLore's self-shot.

Naw'mean?

I can't help but re-echo what so many have said: the Edge piece is trying to turn non-news and non-thought into journalism and make a probing commentary out of the patently obvious.

Disappointing. Uninteresting.

And, I suspect, a grab for clicks.

H3xum

Nailed it.

The means to get your own stupidass opinion out there has grown exponentially over the years, but people still refuse to take responsibility for their own F ups.

Neogaf is no more to blame than Twitter.

What a joke, Edge.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Looks like I'm taking this article in a different light then most of you guys. This article doesn't sound like it's giving us recognition. Comes off as more of a VICE documentary about "those crazy NeoGAF people."

Jeff Green from PopCap agrees: https://twitter.com/Greenspeak/status/322411494820151298

I don't agree with Edge's characterization of NeoGAF's involvement whatsoever, but that's their prerogative. I think we can probably agree that the story of Orth's Twitter comments broke here and was picked up by the major news outlets as a result, and that there was a universal outcry on NeoGAF about those Twitter comments which painted Microsoft (via the person representing it) in an unfavorable light, but that's a bit different than "NeoGAF got Orth fired."

I also boggle at the notion of NeoGAF as basically this outrageously bloodthirsty Anon-like 4chan analogue that finds targets and lynches them, but what can ya do. That's a typical characterization from casual observers, though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I think it's just demonstrating that the collective force of NeoGAF has had an impact on some real world events. It's important to do that if your article's title claims that an internet forum shapes the games media's agenda.

Acknowledging that this forum has any kind of tangible influence on outside affairs is giving NeoGAF recognition.

What would you have preferred NeoGAF be recognized for in the article?

"It's such a great community, man!" That's not interesting, nor does it communicate anything of value to non-GAFfers. Every community feels that way about themselves.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, I didn't know Jeff Bell had to publicly apologize. Amazing.

Also, they didn't mention how it was a GAFfers work that we knew after 5 minutes of the first trailer being released, that the Phantom Pain was actually a MGS game. Anyway, since the doc is still being filmed, I wonder if they'll include Orth's topic (and more interestingly if they'll interview him).

And, Evi's name is Tyler?! Now that's something I didn't know! But I guess pretty much everyone who has seen me posting here at least once knows my name anyway.

More than you've had hot dinners

Damn.

Top Bottom