• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

Nah. SS looks glorious from all materials. DR3 on other hand looks like brown poo.

I hope they will fix framerate problems with DR3.

SS:

ibubN7zRU1kThh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z579CJwFjYI

Framerate already been fixed. PAX Footage.

I don't think the Edge article was comparing how the games are running. If I remember correctly the guy basically said Dead Rising looks like a more interesting/fun game
It seemed to me that they were looking for an angle where the X1 could make up ground on the Ps4, because a one-sided console war don't sell many magazines.

really? why buy a ps4 then, just buy the Xbone!

The price is a pretty big deal for a lot of people, and he may simply have more confidence in the PS4 as a console due to the spec advantage. People always want to be sure what they're spending their money on, and everybody has their reasons.

ekim

I can see that people may think Ryse looks better than PS4 launch games, as theres no real graphical showpiece on PS4 there just all really good looking, the closest would be shadowfall which in my opinion looks better than Ryse. But DR3 and infamous is crazy talk your right.

Infamous looks much better than DR3 - that said there is still the sheer number of Zeds on the screens which is just as impressive as when DR1 was showcased on the 360 IMHO. But from a technical point of view, infamous is much more love to my eyes.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Getting PS4 but damn I envy XB1 launch line up.

Killer Instict looks fantastic, next gen fighting game for real. Ryse is a graphical showcase too.

I'm getting killzone with my launch console but I'm not hyped one bit

Jesus Wept. Just wait six months and buy a PS4.

skdoo

Banned
I interpreted the comment as DR3 is a better game than Infamous... which is subjective. If anyone actually thinks DR3 looks better than Infamous on a visual level, they need their head examined.

And Infamous isn't even finished yet.

grumble

I interpreted the comment as DR3 is a better game than Infamous... which is subjective. If anyone actually thinks DR3 looks better than Infamous on a visual level, they need their head examined.

And Infamous isn't even finished yet.

It's definitely subjective. It may have referred to a level of polish. I'd say that dead rising looks like it'll probably review higher than infamous though from what I've seen.

badb0y

Getting PS4 but damn I envy XB1 launch line up.

Killer Instict looks fantastic, next gen fighting game for real. Ryse is a graphical showcase too.

I'm getting killzone with my launch console but I'm not hyped one bit

Ah, why are you buying a PS4 then?

At the end of the day it's all about the games, if you like the exclusives on Xbox One you should buy that...

At the end of the day it's all about the games, if you like the exclusives on Xbox One you should buy that...

I think a lot of people at this point just heard so many bad things since the Ones reveal that they instinctively go with ps4 now. For me its simple: One at launch and ps4 early next year.

Nah. SS looks glorious from all materials. DR3 on other hand looks like brown poo.

I hope they will fix framerate problems with DR3.

SS:

ibubN7zRU1kThh.gif

I'm getting tired of seeing that .gif. No matter how many people parrot it, it's not impressive. At all. It's very, very basic use of particles that you will see in many, many games on both systems and has nothing to to do with each respective system's strengths.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm getting tired of seeing that .gif. No matter how many people parrot it, it's not impressive. At all. It's very, very basic use of particles that you will see in many, many games on both systems and has nothing to to do with each respective system's strengths.

Still salty from being impeached huh?

Ishida

Banned

If there is an opinion that can be wrong, it's certainly yours.

CLEEK

Even some of his comparisons are shilly, read the FF13 one it comes across as a fanboy essentially slating Square-Enix for not making it as well as the PS3 version, then in the portal 2 version he goes off on a rant about people not wanting steam on PS3, despite it being an optional feature.

It was only recently that I discovered that some people hold a massive grudge towards Dick Bedwetter. It boggles my mind. My preferred console this gen has been the PS3 over the 360, but I've never read a DF face/off that I felt was unjust. Some of his points are subjective, most of them objective.

The fact that his FF13 face off is given up as evidence of his rampant bias is ludicrous. Not only is the article non-stop in favour of the PS3 version, but his comments around how S-E haven't made use of the 360's eDRAM is just a factual point. He is not bellaching that his beloved 360 didn't get the best version, but that S-E didn't use the main hardware advantage the 360 has over the PS3.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dat salt

mrklaw

MrArseFace

More confidence in medium and longer term lineup? Likes naughty dog, SSM games? Finds PS+ good value? Appreciates being able to use Netflix without a second paid subscription?

Lots of reasons you might choose a Ps4 even if the specific launch offering didn't entirely float your boat

velociraptor

Oh, hey, memes! Because we're 14 years old.

Hardware accelerated particles is old hat by now. That .gif is only impressive if you still live in the woods.
But it is impressive. I cannot think of a single console title that can produce particles that look as good as that gif. Hell, most PC titles also fall short save for Warframe with PhysX.

killatopak

Gold Member
It was only recently that I discovered that some people hold a massive grudge towards Dick Bedwetter. It boggles my mind. My preferred console this gen has been the PS3 over the 360, but I've never read a DF face/off that I felt was unjust. Some of his points are subjective, most of them objective.

The fact that his FF13 face off is given up as evidence of his rampant bias is ludicrous. Not only is the article non-stop in favour of the PS3 version, but his comments around how S-E haven't made use of the 360's eDRAM is just a factual point. He is not bellaching that his beloved 360 didn't get the best version, but that S-E didn't use the main hardware advantage the 360 has over the PS3.

I've only gotten to read RL because people keep saying that he's a shill. I can't blame them for saying it though especially when his latest article is titled DF vs Xbox when you don't even question those Xbox engineers. Where's the VS in that article?

xaosslug

GRAW2 was doing more performance intensive physics calculations in 2007. That's six years ago.

That .gif has, what, a few hundred particles?

i don't think you are getting what's going on in that gif... I mean yes, the particles are a show stopper, but each ball of light is a lights source and the way the SHADOWS DANCE as he absorbs them is pretty breathtaking.

you need to stop. Really.

Mr Moose

I'm guessing you're an Xbox One fan? Just a wild guess here...

velociraptor

i don't think you are getting what's going on in that gif... I mean yes, the particles are a show stopper, but each ball of light is a lights source and the way the SHADOWS DANCE as he absorbs them is pretty breathtaking.

you need to stop. Really.
Now that you mention it, that gif is more impressive that I had originally imagined. Woah.

Skeff

GRAW2 was doing more performance intensive physics calculations in 2007. That's six years ago.

That .gif has, what, a few hundred particles?

No it wasn't the particles in this gif are actually light sources. Look at the shadows. Now look at GRAW, it's a different ballpark.

EDIT: beaten.

But it is impressive. I cannot think of a single console title that can produce particles that look as good as that gif. Hell, most PC titles also fall short save for Warframe with PhysX.

That's because prior consoles weren't well suited to GPGPU. Modern PhysX titles (on PC) are still pretty crappy but those are still very few particles. Games like Dark Void were pushing more of them almost 4 years ago.

Are you sure about that? Can you tell the difference between 10 light sources and 100s?

I'm guessing you're an Xbox One fan? Just a wild guess here...

I'm not, actually. It would take a miracle for me to take an Xbox over PS4.

It's just ridiculous to think that these very basic particle effects mean an inherent PS4 advantage over X1. Everyone knows that the PS4 is more powerful but it's not because of that.

Perkel

Banned
No it wasn't the particles in this gif are actually light sources. Look at the shadows. Now look at GRAW, it's a different ballpark.

EDIT: beaten.

GRAW used Ageia psyhX hardware. That hardware was very impressive and only now we are reaching what was possible few years back on it and this was before or shorty after they were bought by nvidia

Artorias

Banned
That's because prior consoles weren't well suited to GPGPU. Modern PhysX titles (on PC) are still pretty crappy but those are still very few particles. Games like Dark Void were pushing more of them almost 4 years ago.

Cool, but did it look as good as it does in the gif?

I realize this has nothing to do with how impressive it is and everything to do with your console preference, but try to enlighten the rest of us.

It's just ridiculous to think that these very basic particle effects mean an inherent PS4 advantage over X1. Everyone knows that the PS4 is more powerful but it's not because of that.

Maybe I missed a post, where were people claiming this gif was proof of the power difference?

GRAW used Ageia psyhX hardware. That hardware was very impressive and only now we are reaching what was possible few years back on it and this was before or shorty after they were bought by nvidia

It's no different to using GPU hardware. Modern GPUs completely blow old Ageia hardware out of the water in this regard.

Even 3 year old nVidia GPUs outperform those Ageia PPUs in physics calculations. Those were PCI-based with if my memory serves and with just a fraction of the bandwidth that PCIe GPUs have.

It's no different to using GPU hardware. Modern GPUs completely blow old Ageia hardware out of the water in this regard.

Even 3 year old nVidia GPUs outperform those Ageia PPUs in physics calculations. Those were PCI-based with if my memory serves and with just a fraction of the bandwidth that PCIe GPUs have.

I'd like to see some sources for this post. Limited bandwidth is only an issue if physics calculations are bandwidth limited.

LOL, ok. You've decided you are going down this path, who am I to try and stop you? Burn bright, MrPresident!
Thank you for your input. By the way, there are exactly zero shadows in that .gif.

I'd like to see some sources for this post. Limited bandwidth is only an issue if physics calculations are bandwidth limited.

It's hard to find anything specifically with regard to bandwidth but here's one showing Ageia PPUs being outperformed by a 9800GTX.

Those came out in 2008.

Top Bottom