• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

frizby

I swear, there hasn't been anything of consequence in this thread in forever, but I keep coming back for those bish gifs.

Brilliant!

Skeff

Well they answered with said tweet to a question about the rops in the X1.

Thanks, this could be comical, I expect to hear the word balance a lot.

Probably to do with frame buffers, esram size and ROP's, which to me will mean it's designed as a 720p console.

IN&OUT

Banned
Fairly certain that's misterxmedia rumors

If so it's nothing

That guy has the most ridiculous claims I have ever heard for any console ever

Hahaha, I swear he is trolling everybody, I mean no one is that stupid.

EDIT: His insider is claiming that X1 has a R9 280 GPU in the "updated specs". my sides hurt from laughing, and what makes it sadder is people who comment believing his shit .

This thread has obviously long run its course.

Someone should start a ban bet thread. Lay it all on the line.

Bets would be specific (within reason), timely, and measurable; ban bets range from 2 months to perma.

Bets could be about performance, sales, or whatever. People who made the bets would obviously need someone to counter bet them the opposite result.

Of course it would have to be mod sanctioned, and I'm not sure ban bets are even kosher here. I think they were at one time, but maybe not now.

None of the people talking all this shit in this thread have the balls to put their GAF account on the line.
They're all talk.

mitchman

Gold Member
Hahaha, I swear he is trolling everybody, I mean no one is that stupid.

EDIT: His insider is claiming that X1 has a R9 280 GPU in the "updated specs". my sides hurt from laughing, and what makes it sadder is people who comment believing his shit .

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out HE is the one being trolled by an alleged "insider", which might be setting him and his "fans" up for a massive reveal where his trolling is revealed. I'm guessing December reveal if that's the case.

Well they answered with said tweet to a question about the rops in the X1.

Wouldn't be surprised if they come up with an answer like yeah 32 rops need quiet some bandwidth not even the ps4 can feed 32 rops continuously that is why we went with 16 rops better balanced for the bandwidth figures our next gen console has.

Skeff

None of the people talking all this shit in this thread have the balls to put their GAF account on the line.
They're all talk.

This, impressively, is one of the most childish things I've read on GAF, as if putting an account for an internet message board about video games on the line with a ban bet requires balls or masculinity in any sense....

How about this, if the xb1 and PS4 have parity in 3rd party games, I will apologize for repeatedly saying the PS4 is the stronger console. Takes far more balls to apologize than getting thrown off a video game message board.

And i've stated this before in other threads.

I'm going for a:

"our console is designed around the balance and synergy of proportionality between the size of a frame buffer, the available ways of storing it and the best way to output it to screen, in the xb1 these all align to form a perfect balance, and let's be honest as we have more bandwidth than PS4 we all know there ROP's will surely be bandwidth starved."

I expect Synergy to be their next word of choice.

Skeff

You seem to know what DF will talk about. so how about some hints?

I'd guess it will be exactly the same as the CU's.

Likely along the lines of: "We have 16 ROP's running at a higher speed than the PS4 and we all know it doesn't scale linearly with more, so really 16 ROP's on a 853Mhz card is much faster in real world scenarios than 32 ROP's running at a lowly 800 Mhz."

"A 100% increase in ROP's =/= 100% increase in fill rate" I believe would be the entry from Mr. Penello's miracle formulas.

Wow I should start writing XB1 tech deep dives.

StuBurns

Banned
I was just reading the latest Edge, and they said Ryse looks better than anything of PS4's launch line up. Surprising to me. They also said DR3 looks to be the better game than Infamous, which is crazy talk.

Tyrax

I was just reading the latest Edge, and they said Ryse looks better than anything of PS4's launch line up. Surprising to me. They also said DR3 looks to be the better game than Infamous, which is crazy talk.

I'm glad to hear DR3 is looking good. That and Forza 5 are my must have games this November

Skeff

I can see that people may think Ryse looks better than PS4 launch games, as theres no real graphical showpiece on PS4 there just all really good looking, the closest would be shadowfall which in my opinion looks better than Ryse. But DR3 and infamous is crazy talk your right.

that article in edge its ..man..i have no words...and dead rising its my most anticipated launch game of the two systems..but i have played infamous 2 on gamescom and its the best looking game i have at this time

mitchman

Gold Member
I see a bit of a pattern when it comes to MS' relations to the public.

Tell me if this makes sense:

- MS decides to send Albert Penello on neogaf or he comes here on his own, to try to turn the tide and the general impression that the PS4 is the most powerful console.
- After 2-3 weeks, it's clear this is not working so he leaves saying he will try to get a technical fellow on here.
- MS discusses this internally and decides that a technical fellow writing here probably won't help much (throwing a sheep to the wolves?). So instead they pick Digital Foundry knowing that DF has technical knowledge, but not enough to be able to really question the information this technical fellow is feeding them.

They can now control much of the message given on a site many hardcode gamers read, with very little opposition.

Oh, and if MS wants to add to the confusion, they can moneyhat a couple of multiplatform games to gimp the PS4 version then just claim the other games that are better on PS4 are "just bad ports on Xbone" or something.

Or maybe they just need to keep enough doubt about the capabilities to save their pre-orders.

Could this be happening? Did I miss something? Is it too far fetched?

As for Edge, maybe they did a number of them aswell, although with Edge's rep it would be strange.

hohoXD123

I thought more conspiracies would come out from Eurogamer Expo. Aren't there a few multi-platform titles on show? I imagined at least a few "this one looks like shit compared to this one" hyperbole and people judging off-screen footage.

Couldn't remember there being any Multiplats running on the X1s

Iacobellis

When I look at what MS is pushing, the NFL, fitness, VOD discovery, even the AV component design stylings. I think they are going after a more affluent buyer right off the bat and thus, to themselves at least, they justify the price. They are not selling a game system, they are selling a multimedia box that plays games. That consumer is out there I'm just not sure there are enough of them initially.

That is how I have been perceiving it since the May reveal. Pretty sad that the company who always went after the hardcore gamer is now doing what can make the most money. Xbox was a beefed-up PC that had the most advanced online service and offered the most visually stunning multiplats. Xbox 360 was nearly as powerful as the PS3 at half the cost and has a still unbeatable online service on a console. Microsoft went crazy with trying new IPs during the Xbox's life and the first couple years of the 360.

I miss those days of the Xbox and wish they would return. Ah, nostalgia just getting to me again.

Tyrax

Infamous was never launch.

it was announced at the PS meeting at the same time as other launch games, but I see what you are getting at. My point is just that DR3 probably looks better now because it has already gone through optimizations and infamous was probably still rough

Tyrax

So instead they pick Digital Foundry knowing that DF has technical knowledge, but not enough to be able to really question the information this technical fellow is feeding them.

you give yourself far too much credit. I'd rather have reddit finding the real bombers

StuBurns

Banned
it was announced at the PS meeting at the same time as other launch games, but I see what you are getting at. My point is just that DR3 probably looks better now because it has already gone through optimizations and infamous was probably still rough
It is very difficult to know with something like this. Infamous was demoed at E3, and was in much better shape than DR, but that could be a case of having polished up a very specific area, versus DR truly just showing whatever they fancied.

I don't think they were talking about performance or anything though, from the context it seems to be just what they expect of the final quality.

EDIT: They actually gave InFamous 2 a 6, DR2 got a 7. Surprising.

Name should be censored on here. He's been wrong enough times, no?

Haha he certainly is wrong enough times to get banned if he were on Gaf spouting that nonsense

But he has a blog that he posts his crazed fantasies on

His rumors and lies just spread down to us though sometimes

Did he start the Dual GPU rumor?

Yeah comparing DR3 to Infamous was strange. That entire article was simply weird

Perkel

Banned

Nah. SS looks glorious from all materials. DR3 on other hand looks like brown poo.

I hope they will fix framerate problems with DR3.

SS:

ibubN7zRU1kThh.gif

Perkel

Banned
There have been a few negative rumbles in the press about the xb1 this past week, I fully expect Richard Leadbetter to swoop in to the rescue.

I don't get from where this hate toward RL comes. He just wrote what engineers of MS told him. It would be unprofessional for him to get interview and later change it to fit different agenda.
He is not in position to question engineer talking with him directly since he is not engineer himself.

RL gives us ton of good articles from his DF.

I don't think the Edge article was comparing how the games are running. If I remember correctly the guy basically said Dead Rising looks like a more interesting/fun game

skdoo

Banned
RL is the closest thing to a MS shill I have seen outside of the company. Check out his article history, and his leanings are VERY obvious.

Perkel

Banned
I thought reports from TGS suggested that it was looking smoother?

"We are working on frame-rate" was official statement from devs/pub. People seem to notice it on TGS but we don't know really if that was staged demo or not (to present game in non stressfull situations).

Aside from that DR3 doesn't even look good. They definitely use most of resources to get those massive zombie hordes instead of pumping juice for shaders etc.

Perkel

Banned
RL is the closest thing to a MS shill I have seen outside of the company. Check out his article history, and his leanings are VERY obvious.

100% grade A bullshit my junior friend. If you want to take part in discussion dropping something smart then first check if what you are saying is true.

Most of his articles are about factual differences between multiplatform games that in current gen were "won" mostly by X360. From time to time he writes some interesting piece or do interview about tech like implementation of cloud in gaming (as proposed by MS PR).

That doesn't make him fanboy or shill. That makes reader an idiot if he thinks there is connection to his factual work and leaning to some agenda.

Getting PS4 but damn I envy XB1 launch line up.

Killer Instict looks fantastic, next gen fighting game for real. Ryse is a graphical showcase too.

I'm getting killzone with my launch console but I'm not hyped one bit

Skeff

100% grade A bullshit my junior friend. If you want to take part in discussion dropping something smart then first check if what you are saying is true.

Most of his articles are about factual differences between multiplatform games that in current gen were "won" mostly by X360. From time to time he writes some interesting piece or do interview about tech like implementation of cloud in gaming (as proposed by MS PR).

Even some of his comparisons are shilly, read the FF13 one it comes across as a fanboy essentially slating Square-Enix for not making it as well as the PS3 version, then in the portal 2 version he goes off on a rant about people not wanting steam on PS3, despite it being an optional feature.

His latest pieces of work which are not comparisons have been ridiculously shilly.

The way he has simply parroted MS PR talk without actually questioning it was ridiculous look at the esram bullshit.

How about:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-xbox-one-multi-platform-games-compete-with-ps4

Since when would a 7850 be a good idea for an XB1 GPU? It should have been a 7770, as they are much closer to the same specs. Also the 7770 has 16 ROP's just like the xb1 compared to the 32 of the 7850 he used.

There are so many things wrong with that article it can be safely considered to have an accuracy of around: Batshit insane.

skdoo

Banned

That doesn't make him fanboy or shill. That makes reader an idiot if he thinks there is connection to his factual work and leaning to some agenda.

I've never seen RL say a bad word about MS... care to correct that? If so, I am willing to listen, and admit I'm wrong.

Top Bottom