• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

Kashinoda

Banned
Why do people keep bringing up Resogun? It's a PSN arcade shooter, it's not like it wouldn't easily possible on Xbox One - no matter if the dev says otherwise. And yes the particle effects are amazing, but AAA title it aint.

Why do people keep bringing up Resogun? It's a PSN arcade shooter, it's not like it wouldn't easily possible on Xbox One - no matter if the dev says otherwise. And yes the particle effects are amazing, but AAA title it aint.
Because you know more than the dev. What game are you working on?

And holy mother of fuck, did you just say that only AAA games can use all of the hardware? Has a new challenger appeared?

Oh no you didn't

Edit: I wouldn't be so sure xbone could run resogun 1080p/60. And those aren't particle effects

Skeff

Firstly, it uses GPGPU heavily, the xbox one would not be able to do this effectively as it would have to flush cache too often, In fact Resogun is probably the ONLY ps4 exclusive that would not be possible on xbox one. Kz:SF would be possible with a couple of little changes, but Resogun would not.

Secondly, there are no particles in Resogun. There are Voxels though, up to 500k of them which are used to build the stage itself...

Brera

Banned
Killer Instinct - 720p
Ryse - 900p
Battlefied 3 - 720p
Forza 5 -1080p/60

Killzone SF - 1080p60inmulti
Driveclub - 1080p targeting60
Second Son - 1080p
Knack - 1080p
Deep Down - 1080p(???)targeting 60fps.

This is real difference between those two consoles. PS4 outputs much higher resolution + better looking games at the same time.

No amount of special souse, dGpu, bandwidth write+read combination, low latency and pure grade A bullshit can change that.

And no you can't add up write and read. Max theoretical max bandwidth for Xbone is ~160GB/s. So 270GB/s is just pure bullshit.

You quote Shifty Gazeer without even reading what he wrote. He wrote that if MS got 150GB/s that this is possible especially since it is in theoretical maximum range. Thing is we don't trust MS on those numbers and artificial test may look way different to average game usage of memory

This post nails it.

Add to the fact that Forza 1080p/60fps looks pretty ropey and you have conclusive proof that the 50% performance difference is alive and kicking.

Kashinoda

Banned
Firstly, it uses GPGPU heavily, the xbox one would not be able to do this effectively as it would have to flush cache too often, In fact Resogun is probably the ONLY ps4 exclusive that would not be possible on xbox one. Kz:SF would be possible with a couple of little changes, but Resogun would not.

Secondly, there are no particles in Resogun. There are Voxels though, up to 500k of them which are used to build the stage itself...

Sorry not particles, but if we're going to be pedantic the engine supports up to 500k, the game itself rarely goes above 200k.

Skeff

Sorry not particles, but if we're going to be pedantic the engine supports up to 500k, the game itself rarely goes above 200k.

but it can go to 500k, separating particles from voxels isn't pedantic, You can't build levels out of particles, they're also far less resource intensive.

Yeah because they're not making a tech demo. it's a game and if 500k makes the game too crowded and hinders gameplay then why use all 500k?

Edit: sorry. Misunderstood your post

I agree. A perception is formed among the masses. People start saying "Xbox one is underpowered" without even having a clue as to why or how. Since E3 MS has been doing all it can to shape a narrative that is completely out of their hands at this point. It's a complete PR nightmare.

Honestly in the back of my mind I wonder if the price tag of the XB1 might make causals disbelieve it can possibly be weaker than the PS4

There really isn't any news I've seen that will convey that directly to causals but again I don't really think power is going to sell anything with casuals really

Price will though

Obvious jokes aside, I think that the only people honestly clinging to there being no difference aren't ever going to be convinced. They'll always find a reason to discount the gap. When that fails, they'll say that it doesn't matter because the PS4's games all suck compared to the Xbox One's. Such is the life of a console warrior, but luckily they are few. Far better to remain neutral and buy the console that has the experiences you enjoy than to get held up on comparing your choice to one that you never intended to get anyway.

The best part?

XB1 buyers stating they won't notice the difference between 1080P and 900P because they sit too far away

I mean seriously you won't be able to tell the difference between any games at any resolutions if you sit far enough away

It's such a terrible arguement

My summary of the last 4 pages or so

Operation Honey trap is still incredibly effective

New challenger approached and was swatted down

Each new head of the MS hydra increases the Esram BW numbers by magic math that would make misterxmedia proud

I miss anything?

Anyone have a running tally of the September body count? Another one bites the dust.

These names are greyed in this thread.

This is not just MS shills, these are all walks of life. Some of these bans happened in other threads, I'm sure. Some may have happened in GD for all we know.

PureGone
AutumnRay
Rayge
Ushae
HellsimusPrime
turk3y
dragonelite
p3tran
BleachAndPepsi
Cesar
LittleJohnny
Jeux
GribbleGrunger
TechnicPuppet
Always Bet On Batman
Arthur Bishop
SerOnionKnight
Joeki11a
Krilekk
UnnDunn
jim2011
oVerde
Team Vernia
bonus_sco
Klocker
Flatline
moriquendi32
46w500
idrinkalone
TheKaeptain
KingFire
Juan29.zapata - - - - >was not banned for console warz shenanigans.
FINALBOSS
randiangamer
SpinningBirdKick
Subie_Greg
Cesar
prodyg
JonnyLH
jhendrix
haZethew0rld
Krilekk
Pseudo judo
antic604
Joeki11a
Icecait
Jackel7406
Rustle Da Jimmies
JammerJammy
Timemuffin
antic604
rinemy
OldSchoolNerd

gimmmick

So... what's next? CU performance scaling, Audio chip, Hidden Gpu, Secret sauce or NDA?

ilERlIuaHoeTm.gif

I'm fucking dying here. That's golden.

Good to see the list

Pretty sure BleachAndPepsi was pro PS4 and likely banned in something unrelated

TechnicPuppet was an XB1 fanboy but never posted anything controversial in tech threads as he wasn't tech savy (his own words)

Team vernia probably got banned somewhere else to as though he was pro XB1. He was one of the few rational ones in my experiences

Steroyd

too many people are doing that

That's because it's an "indie" title and "indie" title's aren't worth shit compared to AAA games.

To think I was joking, would you ever consider Minecraft and Angry Birds AAA titles or indie?

Good to see the list

Pretty sure BleachAndPepsi was pro PS4 and likely banned in something unrelated

TechnicPuppet was an XB1 fanboy but never posted anything controversial in tech threads as he wasn't tech savy (his own words)

Team vernia probably got banned somewhere else to as though he was pro XB1. He was one of the few rational ones in my experiences

Yeah, it was a pretty even mix of pro ps4 and x1'ers banned I think. The shills were super obvious lol.

"Hey, great to finally be approved to post!"

"Hey, I'm new here! Just popping in to see what is going on in this thread." - - then goes on to argue pr nonsense incessantly.

A lot of the shills would speak like that initially lol.

Honestly in the back of my mind I wonder if the price tag of the XB1 might make causals disbelieve it can possibly be weaker than the PS4

There really isn't any news I've seen that will convey that directly to causals but again I don't really think power is going to sell anything with casuals really

Price will though

I thought this too initially. But put yourself in their shoes. They're staring at the two on the shelf. All the multiplats are on both, and effectively the games will be the same looking. They see what's in the box. "What does Xbox One have that PS4 doesn't? Oh it has a camera. My 360 Kinect cost me $120 so that makes sense that it's $100 more."

I don't think the power of the consoles will even cross their mind. The fact that a lot of people have their motion controller periphs stashed in a closet might though.

Chobel

This is not just MS shills, these are all walks of life. Some of these bans happened in other threads, I'm sure. Some may have happened in GD for all we know.

PureGone
AutumnRay
Rayge
Ushae
HellsimusPrime
turk3y
dragonelite
p3tran
BleachAndPepsi

NO!!! Not BleachAndPepsi!

I thought this too initially. But put yourself in their shoes. They're staring at the two on the shelf. All the multiplats are on both, and effectively the games will be the same looking. They see what's in the box. "What does Xbox One have that PS4 doesn't? Oh it has a camera. My 360 Kinect cost me $120 so that makes sense that it's $100 more."

I don't think the power of the consoles will even cross their mind. The fact that a lot of people have their motion controller periphs stashed in a closet might though.

power of the consoles will matter when looking at metacritic scores (why do the ps4 versions all have higher scores?), reading reviews in game informer, or having joe gamestop clerk tell them that "all PS4 games look better, so you might as well get that."

Maybe power doesn't cross their minds but it sure adds to the negative buzz around the Xbox one

Thorgal

Are they all perma banned or sin binned?

Theres no way other then asking a mod to find out.

in the beginning i thought the difference was that if you got perm'd your avatar would be gone too .But i got corrected on that and that the avatar staying is just a glitch and not a representation on your ban status.

I would say if a poster is still not un banned after 2 months .considder them perm'd.

frizby

Those are NOT particle effects.

Those are all voxels with individual lighting and physics, up to a half million of them.

PureGone
AutumnRay
Rayge
Ushae
HellsimusPrime
turk3y
dragonelite
p3tran
BleachAndPepsi
Cesar
LittleJohnny
Jeux
GribbleGrunger
TechnicPuppet
Always Bet On Batman
Arthur Bishop
SerOnionKnight
Joeki11a
Krilekk
UnnDunn
jim2011
oVerde
Team Vernia
bonus_sco
Klocker
Flatline
moriquendi32
46w500
idrinkalone
TheKaeptain
KingFire
Juan29.zapata
FINALBOSS
randiangamer
SpinningBirdKick
Subie_Greg
Cesar
prodyg
JonnyLH
jhendrix
haZethew0rld
Krilekk
Pseudo judo
antic604
Joeki11a
Icecait
Jackel7406
Rustle Da Jimmies
JammerJammy
Timemuffin
antic604
rinemy
OldSchoolNerd

God damn it I missed the Tpuppet and oldschool bans...

Slashlen

I won't pretend to be an expert on casual gamers, but I doubt many of them care about power. They just want to know if it can play CoD or GTA or whatever. It's a yes/no question for them, and whether it's at 720p or 1080p doesn't matter that much. If I asked my brother if his TV was 1080p, he'd probably reply, "It's a flatscreen".

Jack_AG

Banned
They aren't particle effects. That's the gag. They are voxels with physics on every block. Housemarque says their engine can handle 500k on screen without skipping a beat but took it down to 300k for gameplay since 500k blocks flying around on screen is a bit much going on to see what the hell you are doing.

I'm not suggesting XB1 can't do that - but I have to give credit to HM for working an engine to flex physics on 500k voxels on screen at once.

Finalizer

And the list doesn't even include folks who've been temp banned and have come back since the span of this thread, heh.

NO!!! Not BleachAndPepsi!

Shit! I didn't know he got banned! He made some great gifs in his time.

I won't pretend to be an expert on casual gamers, but I doubt many of them care about power. They just want to know if it can play CoD or GTA or whatever. It's a yes/no question for them, and whether it's at 720p or 1080p doesn't matter that much. If I asked my brother if his TV was 1080p, he'd probably reply, "It's a flatscreen".

And that's true. Casual gamers care about price and where their friends play. For price, that favors PS4. For where their friends play, it's going to be statistically more likely that their friends have a PS4, as there will be more on the market.

Saying that power doesn't matter doesn't make matters automatically better for Xbox One. Not that that's necessarily what you were saying. I'm just saying that I've seen that argument raised in favor of the Xbox One as if it was a foregone conclusion that everyone was still getting one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
And the list doesn't even include folks who've been temp banned and have come back since the span of this thread, heh.

I think I may be one of the few people active in almost all of the next gen tech threads since rumors started that has made it through without even a temp ban :lol

Chobel

Klocker

I really hope Klocker isn't perma banned, I bookmarked some of his posts waiting for November.

I am surprised there isn't more 'American Idol' type games, that analyze your singing and berate you Simon Cowell style, do you think games like Rock Band are dead permanently?

Hmm. Bish did not even leave a witty remark this time.
He must be too busy with playing GTAV :)

These two posts gave me a great idea for a game: PR Idol!

Each week the contestants can defend their console/gaming rig of choice in front of a celebrity panel of mods who grade them on form, originality, and style.

Coming soon to WiiU, Vita, and Xbone.

I think I may be one of the few people active in almost all of the next gen tech threads since rumors started that has made it through without even a temp ban :lol

That's because you are levelheaded, and you don't wallow in the shit like some others. You just wanna see great games, regardless of the system, as do I. I've stayed away from posting lately, because it's getting a little too combative as of late.

I don't think I've ever been banned.

This thread has obviously long run its course.

Someone should start a ban bet thread. Lay it all on the line.

Bets would be specific (within reason), timely, and measurable; ban bets range from 2 months to perma.

Bets could be about performance, sales, or whatever. People who made the bets would obviously need someone to counter bet them the opposite result.

Of course it would have to be mod sanctioned, and I'm not sure ban bets are even kosher here. I think they were at one time, but maybe not now.

And that's true. Casual gamers care about price and where their friends play. For price, that favors PS4. For where their friends play, it's going to be statistically more likely that their friends have a PS4, as there will be more on the market.

Saying that power doesn't matter doesn't make matters automatically better for Xbox One. Not that that's necessarily what you were saying. I'm just saying that I've seen that argument raised in favor of the Xbox One as if it was a foregone conclusion that everyone was still getting one.

Power matters to casuals indirectly. The hardcore gamers are going to be the early adopters and want the powerful machine. The casual players may then see their friends with the console and hear them talking about it. This could cause them to pick up the same console. That is how the Xbox 360 gained such a lead in the US (in addition to the head start). People bought what their friends had. Based on all the reports about preorder numbers and anecdotal evidence, it seems it will swing in Sony's favor this time.

Slashlen

Oh, the One definitely has problems. Power and the whole DRM fiasco has caused problems with the hardcore gamer, and price is a huge problem with casuals, not to mention the network effect you mentioned. I'm not saying they'll Wii U it or anything like that, but the eventual threads about why it's not selling well will be interesting as there seems to be a buffet of issues.

PureGone
AutumnRay
Rayge
Ushae
HellsimusPrime
turk3y
dragonelite
p3tran
BleachAndPepsi
Cesar
LittleJohnny
Jeux
GribbleGrunger
TechnicPuppet
Always Bet On Batman
Arthur Bishop
SerOnionKnight
Joeki11a
Krilekk
UnnDunn
jim2011
oVerde
Team Vernia
bonus_sco
Klocker
Flatline
moriquendi32
46w500
idrinkalone
TheKaeptain
KingFire
Juan29.zapata
FINALBOSS
randiangamer
SpinningBirdKick
Subie_Greg
Cesar
prodyg
JonnyLH
jhendrix
haZethew0rld
Krilekk
Pseudo judo
antic604
Joeki11a
Icecait
Jackel7406
Rustle Da Jimmies
JammerJammy
Timemuffin
antic604
rinemy
OldSchoolNerd

daaamn.

bollywood-terminator-mpich.gif

Power matters to casuals indirectly. The hardcore gamers are going to be the early adopters and want the powerful machine. The casual players may then see their friends with the console and hear them talking about it. This could cause them to pick up the same console. That is how the Xbox 360 gained such a lead in the US (in addition to the head start). People bought what their friends had. Based on all the reports about preorder numbers and anecdotal evidence, it seems it will swing in Sony's favor this time.

It is such a crazy start to a generation. Unprecedented, really. Both consoles are going to be in people's faces. If one shows visually that it is more proficient, regardless of flops-rops-megs, or whatever, people will gravitate that way.

Of course the price point is HUGE, and it is not like the Playstation name is something new to people. It is a name people trust in the gaming space.

Chumpion

They aren't particle effects. That's the gag. They are voxels with physics on every block.

They might as well be called particles. There is no essential difference. They are voxels when they are part of the environment and become particles when whatever they are a part of is blown apart. As voxels they have no physics; as particles they have physics, although the simulation treats them as simple spheres, not cubes.

A friend of Juan29.zapata pm'd me; wanted to be clear he was not banned for console wars related activities.

Like I said, the list was compiled using grey names. While some were definitely console martyrs, some were not.

Top Bottom