• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM July 2008 Reviews and Rumors

Tadale

grandjedi6 said:
If true I'm very interested at what exactly Nintendo does have planned for this Holiday

I'm guessing Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit. I'm pretty sure that's all they need at this point.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
iceatcs said:
ps2_transformer_controller.jpg
?
My initial mental image: realized

Vinci

Danish
Tadale said:
I'm guessing Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit. I'm pretty sure that's all they need at this point.

I'm pretty sure he's wanting to know what they have planned that would appeal to him, not what they have planned on a macroscopic level.

Tadale

Vinci said:
I'm pretty sure he's wanting to know what they have planned that would appeal to him, not what they have planned on a macroscopic level.

I'm saying I don't think they've got anything planned that's going to appeal to us this holiday season. At least not first party.

Threi

notag
Opiate said:
Hopefully this will spark conversation: it's amazing how rapidly and efficiently the industry has adapted to the success of games like CoD4, but the Wii continues to flabbergast virtually everyone but Nintendo.

Why do people think this is? My initial hypothesis is that things like CoD4 are fairly direct and clear evolutions of already well understood genres, while the Wii really does take a completely different direction than the rest of the industry. However, I'd be interested to see what other people think. Am I just making this up? Is this simply a matter of perception?

Probably a crappy reply, but i think the Wii goes in so many directions (including the traditional videogame console route) that the industry is just trying to figure out which one will get them the most money.

Amir0x

Banned
Boom Blox :bow: EGM

Top game on Wii outside of Super Mario Galaxy

pakkit said:
Somebody hasn't played Mario Kart Wii...

I don't think Mario Kart Wii disproves that statement, and I have played it :p

On Bioshock, all that is new is something the team hints at, "something that could potentially extend and augment the game". It also comes with all the bonuses in the 360 update. Graphics will be the same.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Tadale said:
That doesn't make any sense, they already released those games

Opus Angelorum said:
Wii Fit : Wiiven Fitter
Now there is a great example. Why can't you be more like Opus Angelorum, Tadale?

Woah there is a major MGS4 sort of a review in the issue, reading it now. They played the game, they are just not allowed to talk about a bunch of aspects of it so thats why they did not do an official review, they will wait for next issue for that when they could talk about the game freely.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I mean: Steven Spielberg is a well known man in movie's industry, but this is its first videogame, and it surpassed the 98% of every other Wii's game that was produced by people that work in this industry since years.
It isn't Spielberg's first game; The Dig was a while ago. And do we know exactly how deeply into the design his influence went? Perhaps he was just a figurehead, and EA assigned their best staff to this prestige product. At the least, I think we can be pretty certain he wasn't coding the AI personally like Sid Meier is doing for Civilization Revolution. I imagine the truth is somewhere between these extremes, and responsibility for the game's quality isn't down to Spielberg alone, or even primarily.

Hail to the Chimp - B+, C+, C+
Good: Bizarre concept works, great art style
Bad: Basic single player mode

Seems harsh to me, it's a party game...

Davidion said:
That's it, need Boom Blox.

Straw, Camel's back, etc.
Please do not fall for it. Boom Blox is so far away from being an A+, or even an A game for that matter.
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - B-, B-, B
Good: Immeasurable depth and custiomization
Bad: Borderline meaningless plot
So it's exactly like the other ones? That doesn't really sound like a low B game to me, but whatever. Definitely not skipping this one.

StranGER said:
i been eyeballing it or the williams pinball.

is it a hands down compitition?

Well, the Williams Pinball is only $20. It's fantastic, too. If you like pinball you really can't go wrong with it.

Onemic

SuperSonic1305 said:
Cover Story: Gears of War 2 multiplayer

Features/Previews:

- Online play on Wii blows, but does Nintendo even need to care?
- Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
- Bioshock PS3
- Multiplayer done right (and wrong)
- Killing Time in Liberty City
- Nintendo and the industry depend on WiiFit

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
For those wondering about Bioshock PS3 details (not real box art, but cool nonetheless):

5850.jpg

-Graphics are the same as the 360; they might possibly notch it up a bit but that's still unknown right now.
-Sixaxis tilt unknown.
-Will be patched with the Plasmid & fixes done for the 360 version right out of the box.
-Team does admit working with Sony to potentially "extend and augment the game", but too early to talk about it.
-Worth rebuying if you're a 360 owner? EGM says probably not, creative director of Bioshock says "whatever we end up with via our discussions with Sony, coupled with the fact that BS allows you to go through and roll your own shooter in the first place...these two factors together would turn into a motive for replay."

-Lots more on the game itself and some Sony big shots (like Ted Price) weigh in on the game. Good stuff.

No_Style

chubigans said:
For those wondering about Bioshock PS3 details:

-Graphics are the same as the 360; they might possibly notch it up a bit but that's still unknown right now.
-Sixaxis tilt unknown.
-Will be patched with the Plasmid & fixes done for the 360 version right out of the box.
-Team does admit working with Sony to potentially "extend and augment the game", but too early to talk about it.
-Worth rebuying if you're a 360 owner? EGM says probably not, creative director of Bioshock says "whatever we end up with via our discussions with Sony, coupled with the fact that BS allows you to go through and roll your own shooter in the first place...these two factors together would turn into a motive for replay."
-Lots more on the game itself and some Sony big shots (like Ted Price) weigh in on the game. Good stuff.

Hmm.... I'm considering a re-buy, but I want noticeable technical improvements. I guess I'll have wait for more news first.

chubigans said:
For those wondering about Bioshock PS3 details (not real box art, but cool nonetheless):

http://www.vgboxart.com/boxes/PS3/5850.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Nice try, it will be plastered with "Winner of several GOTY awards" a box quote from IGN's review and a 10/10 sticker.

JDSN

Banned
marwan said:
dubai? why dubai?
So the game is set in the middle east while ignoring the war, people can get their arab-killing fun without directly facing the moral ambiguity of current world issues.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
SuperSonic1305 said:
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard - A, B+, B
Good: Improves on first EO in every conceivable way
Bad: Can't shake that "expansion pack" feel

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - B-, B-, B
Good: Immeasurable depth and custiomization
Bad: Borderline meaningless plot

Space Invaders Extreme - A-, B+, B+
Good: Addictive, stylish, value priced
Bad: Some PSP backgrounds are a bit too busy

GREAT scores for some of my most anticipated handheld titles!!

For their non-MGS4 review here is basically what each reviewer says:

Jeremy:

- MGS4 represents the truest expression of the "Metal Gear" concept the world will ever see.
- Bittersweet that the series is over but at least it goes out in style.
- Controls a welcome addtion but he wishes for a cover system.
- Different approach to the game you dont have to be stealthy if you dont want to, infact many big firefights dont allow for stealth.
- Environments larger than MGS3
- You will find out what "La-li-lu-le-lo" means.
- Usually played stealthly in MGS games but killing people is so effective in this game that he got a high kill count.
- Having Drebin on call for ammo makes resource management less of an issue, also offers ridiculous number of possible weapon choices. But best to trick out a few favorites.

Andrew:

- New camera is a relief.
- Didn't mind the lack of dedicated cover system, to busy rushing into battle and getting Drebin points
- Game really encourages run and gun approach, but you can still play both ways.
- New gear and systems like octo camo and MK2 are great.

Matt:

- Played game on easy and hardest mode. On easy you can run around and not fear anything.
- On harder modes he really found the need for cover, wished the expanded the wall hug system they have.
- Other than that new control scheme does a great job, but does not feel it matches those of Splinter Cell.

Shane:

- Loved Act 1's unpredictable pacing, it ditches the usual hand holding tutorial.
- "The game contsnatly toys with your expectations right before exceeding them"
- Commends MGS4 "shockingly well-realized environments"
- "As always, Kojima productions dedication to stuffing the game with oddles of minutiae elevates the artistry to a level rarely reached in gaming."

Shane loved it a lot clearly.

So sony has a periphal that's perfect for fps......right....its probably a wiimote but since there's some decent amount of fps developed for the system it will be PERFECT for fps.....

This isn't the first time the transforming PS3-mote rumor has come up, is it? I distinctly remember hearing about this before, wasn't it a prior EGM or surfergirl?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
onegoodlogan said:
This isn't the first time the transforming PS3-mote rumor has come up, is it? I distinctly remember hearing about this before, wasn't it a prior EGM or surfergirl?

I think Shane might have mentioned it on 1upyours.

Top Bottom