• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM June 2008 Reviews and Rumors

VideoMan said:
Also, the "sharper" comment might actually mean more jaggies, did you think of that? Maybe the 360 version has better antialiasing. Haha!

:lol yes, because EGM would mistake lack of anti-aliasing for 'sharpness'

Tr4nce

_leech_ said:
Not going to a midnight launch?

Ehm well :D

I live in Holland mate, and I don't think I've ever seen such a midnight opening here in any game shop. Don't get me wrong; if my local game shop has one (but I'm almost 100% sure it won't) then I will join the party, ofcourse ;)

Oh well, at least I get to read the American opinions and impressions on GAF. Which I value much more than any of the magazines ones.

Alex

So much nice information and people are screaming at each other about a game looking 0.5% better.

DeadGzuz

Banned
"Sharper" to game reviewer generally mean the use of AF,which the PS3 gets for much cheaper than the 360 (see Oblivion, COD4, etc.). The real question is the load times and pop-in distance for each version.

DeadGzuz said:
"Sharper" to game reviewer generally mean the use of AF,which the PS3 gets for much cheaper than the 360 (see Oblivion, COD4, etc.). The real question is the load times and pop-in distance for each version.

They don't mention load times (as far as I can see), and they just make a general comment about the pop-in (it exists).

i believe the more vibrant and sharpness of the ps3 is not because of the CPU/GPU but because of the limitation of the dvd, the GTAIV on 360 is nearly 99% of the dvd9 capacity,which means for sure they could not fit everything in and had to compress alot of stuff, thus bringing down the sharpness of the textures and stuff.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
artredis1980 said:
i believe the more vibrant and sharpness of the ps3 is not because of the CPU/GPU but because of the limitation of the dvd, the GTAIV on 360 is nearly 99% of the dvd9 capacity,which means for sure they could not fit everything in and had to compress alot of stuff, thus bringing down the sharpness of the textures and stuff.
oh god. canofworms.jpg

Wow is all i can say.

Draft

CowboyAstronaut said:
"PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp"

Get to some specifics they always use this cop out line :lol
That's the funniest thing.

Everyone agrees PS3 version is superior, but no one can quite narrow down the "why."

It looks "warmer", "more vibrant", "sharper", (less "clinical?")

These are all words that mean something but to be honest I have become accustomed to the forensic analysis of the last year or two. Texture to texture comparisons, true AA versus fake AA, 4xAA versus 2xAA, verifiable framerate differences. These are the ammo of the modern console warrior.

Warmer? I can't do anything with that.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
SuperSonic1305 said:
- Bioshock PS3 in September with all DLC and better visuals

If true I will have bloody stool all over the room from the force with which I shit myself. I want Bioshock SOOO bad. :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
vertopci said:
P4 before end of 2008? Fucking awesome.

edit: Mario Kart Wii is dumbed down? How the fuck do you dumb down Mario Kart? Fuck you Nintendo for finding a way.

It's not dumbed down--that's the problem with the review.

the differences will be minimal...even if the ps3 version has a better colour scheme and is more vibrant...geometry/textures/lighting are the same....

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm sitting not 2 feet from the Bioshock Limited Edition for 360, and yet I will purchase the PS3 version day 1.

DAY. ONE.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ysiadmihi said:
You think snaking was intended to be part of Mario Kart DS gameplay? Please tell me you worded this improperly.

Did you not face the staff ghosts or something?

Draft said:
That's the funniest thing.

Everyone agrees PS3 version is superior, but no one can quite narrow down the "why."

It looks "warmer", "more vibrant", "sharper", (less "clinical?")

These are all words that mean something but to be honest I have become accustomed to the forensic analysis of the last year or two. Texture to texture comparisons, true AA versus fake AA, 4xAA versus 2xAA, verifiable framerate differences. These are the ammo of the modern console warrior.

Warmer? I can't do anything with that.

I think the better graphics get, the harder it is for reviewers to discern them. pretty soon mags are going to have designated 'graphics' reviewers :lol

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
SuperSonic1305 said:
- Bioshock PS3 in September with all DLC and better visuals, Bioshock 2 shown around same time

Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true. Please be true.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Max Payne 3

Remedy must be making this otherwise it's just junk.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Grand Theft Auto IV - A+, A+, A
Good: World, relationships, story
Bad: Some missions canned, control takes getting used to
PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp

50 page thread comparing floor textures incoming.

RiverBed

Banned
Splatterhouse, people, SPLATTERHOUSE!

what did they show about it? I don't care what they said. i only want to know if it had in-game screens.

Guy Legend

Jason's Ultimatum said:
reality.gif

:lol

KZObsessed

Persona 4 in North America before the end of 2008, Persona PSP and PS3 in the works

Grand Theft Auto IV - A+, A+, A
Good: World, relationships, story
Bad: Some missions canned, control takes getting used to
PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp

Bioshock PS3 in September with all DLC and better visuals, Bioshock 2 shown around same time

Max Payne 3, Red Dead Revolver 2 for PS360, GTA MMO

Soooooooooooooooooo awesome. You know which of those is the best?.......... MAX PAYNE 3 BITCHES!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It sounds like they went overboard this month with the rumors. P5 so soon? GTA MMO? 3 Castlevania games at once? I'll believe it when I see it, not sure how I feel about any of it.

Raistlin

VideoMan said:
Nah. Well maybe (this is GAF after all), but there's no reason to. PS3 versions of multiplatform games have always been a little brighter just because the GPU puts out at a slightly higher brightness level than the 360's. It's what made the PS3 version of Assasin's Creed look a little washed out actually. You can just adjust the console video setting or your TV to counter the difference though. It's no big deal.

They aren't referring to the brightness thing ... they are talking about the actual color (the ATI and nVidia cards color is slightly different).

Also, the "sharper" comment might actually mean more jaggies, did you think of that? Maybe the 360 version has better antialiasing. Haha!

I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference between the two :p It would be a different story if we only heard this stuff from one source, but its more than one.

Seriously though, if thats the ONLY differences they can find in the two versions they must be damn near identical. That's a good thing.

Not disagreeing ... I'm pretty sure the differences are minor.

[Edit] Actually, after reading a little from the IGN review (thread here) ... it sounds like while not huge ... the differences are a bit more than what was suggested by EGM.

360 has more pop-in (poly and texture) ... slower loading ... and worse AA. The summary is that the PS3 version runs better, and also has better image quality.

popcorn.gif

[Edit 2] Further reading of the thread ... it appears the framerate is also slightly less stable on the 360 rev

gafimplode.gif

legend166

I just don't know how, if you sat down and played Mario Kart Wii for an hour with 3 buddies, you could give it a C. It just doesn't register in my mind. But oh well, reviewers in general have never managed to be correct about local multiplayer games.

J-Rzez

WTF... Infamous has been in the works forever already. Wasn't it supposed to be shown a couple months ago already? Maybe Sucker Punch is making them hold back a lil to get it looking better or something?

Hmm, another push for the PS3 version of GTA4. Glad I decided to shoot with that version afterall.

ZeoVGM

Banned
drakesfortune said:
If true I will have bloody stool all over the room from the force with which I shit myself. I want Bioshock SOOO bad. :D

Get a 360 then?

Isn't Bioshock 2 going to be 360 exclusive for a while too?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im pretty surprised by how much the 360 DLC is being downplayed. We all know darn well in a few months time when they start unveiling that stuff its gonna be a pretty polarizing experience between the 2 consoles.

FrankT

~Kinggi~ said:
Im pretty surprised by how much the 360 DLC is being downplayed. We all know darn well in a few months time when they start unveiling that stuff its gonna be a pretty polarizing experience between the 2 consoles.

Yup, and at this point I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the console sees a nice bump for the month once the DLC hits. It will most certainly be polarizing.

omg rite said:
Get a 360 then?

Isn't Bioshock 2 going to be 360 exclusive for a while too?

There is some debate in the rumor world about it. Surfer Girl did say at first it would be at least a timed exclusive, then she recanted saying it was a MS insider joke.

batbeg

It'd be nice to hear about the details for Tecmo Bowl instead of pages of predictable fanboy bickering over GTA, but alas...

Jtyettis said:
Sounds like Rayne S. word for word. Either that was lifted straight from the Surfer Girl thread or this guy has called some serious stuff. Anyhow, with this and the GTA IV bundle, the Fallout 3 rumor seems more and more possible. I do think it will come to each of the platforms announced, but there certainly could be a timed exclusive deal in the works to be announced at E3 if I had to guess. Rayne S. lives on, for now.

Ah, and I thought Skip said he couldn't tell the difference. It's cooking real hot now, yea hear.

As much as I want Bioshock on my PS3, I'd rather it didn't get ported so that we never have to hear from that punk Rayne S. ever again.

Top Bottom