• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM June 2008 Reviews and Rumors

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
oh man oh man please let that CV rumour be true. DS game confirmed, but two possible other ones... yum. It has to be possible to do Castlevania right in 3D. I can live on hope.

I'm opting for the 360 GTA for the downloadable content. It's clear that there is no big visual difference between the two, so it comes down to two things for me: The fact that the 360 game is the more complete package if you are willing to pay for the DLC and the fact that I much prefer the 360 controller.

Oh, and there's also the fact that it's cheaper here than the PS3 version. I'll consider the saving part payment for the additional content. :)

AtomskEater said:
Yay for more Persona but can we go back to adults as main characters for a bit?
When did-- oh, I suppose P2 EP had characters that were a couple of years out of high school. And that was a sequel to a game (P2 IS) with high schoolers. Don't get your hopes up.

GhaleonQ

I'm torn. I want Sucker Punch to make loads of money, but I don't want them to make Infamous 2 in lieu of something more humorous or animation-like.

Why is anyone freaking out about the PS3 version looking slightly better? I imagine it is akin to Burnout's very slight visual improvements.

Surprisingly low reviews on Mario Kart. I think I will pass on that one.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Onix said:
I expect the PS3 GTA4 better visuals will turn this thread into an epic clusterfuck.

Fun times!

Nah. Well maybe (this is GAF after all), but there's no reason to. PS3 versions of multiplatform games have always been a little brighter just because the GPU puts out at a slightly higher brightness level than the 360's. It's what made the PS3 version of Assasin's Creed look a little washed out actually. You can just adjust the console video setting or your TV to counter the difference though. It's no big deal.

Also, the "sharper" comment might actually mean more jaggies, did you think of that? Maybe the 360 version has better antialiasing. Haha!

Seriously though, if thats the ONLY differences they can find in the two versions they must be damn near identical. That's a good thing.

sajj316

SuperSonic1305 said:
Cover Story: Retro Revivals

Splatterhouse
Bionic Commando
Sonic Unleashed
Street Fighter 4
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff for Wii/DS

Alone in the Dark
Tetris Wii
Alien Crush Wii
Bomberman Wii
1942: Joint Strike
Commando 3
Space Invaders Extreme
Golden Axe: Beast Rider

Next Month Cover Story: Gears of War 2
Next Month Previews: Banjo Kazooie 3, Infamous, Project Origin
Next Month Reviews: MGS4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Wii Fit, Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Rumors:

- Third Person Halo Prequel for Holiday 2009
- Bioshock PS3 in September with all DLC and better visuals, Bioshock 2 shown around same time
- Max Payne 3, Red Dead Revolver 2, LA Noire for 360 as well, GTA MMO
- Persona 4 in North America before the end of 2008, Persona PSP and PS3 in the works
- Rock Band 2 with new modes
- New Castlevania for DS, Wii, and a 3D 360/PS3 game- MGS4 PS3 bundle will be VERY limited. If you haven't pre-ordered by June you might be screwed

Reviews:

Mario Kart Wii - B+, C+, C
Good: A few great new tracks and powerups
Bad: Dumbed-down gameplay, predictable design

Grand Theft Auto IV - A+, A+, A
Good: World, relationships, story
Bad: Some missions canned, control takes getting used to
PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp

Persona 3: FES - A, A, A
Good: Plenty of new content, $30 price
Bad: Some questionable soundtrack choices

Just some of my interested items in bold. Yes, I am looking forward to Wii Fit. I have the original NA release of Persona 3 (one with the artbook). It sure is a gem. GTA IV, expected AAA ... delivered. Mario Kart Wii is a surprise but then again, how much different is it from Dash on the Cube?

The biggest news (rumor) is Castlevania for the Wii/DS in 2D. There is a GOD!

Bebpo

Banned
Phew, guess I can go ahead and get the PS3 version. I don't really trust multi games on PS3 and usually get the X360 version, but it sounds like they should at least be equal here.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hmm Persona rumors... hmm. Persona 4 coming out by the end of the year is quite possible, especially since Atlus is frontloading this year so far. But Persona for PSP and PS3? It will likely happen, but this seems more like a good guess than some kind of inside source. Of course I'm probably wrong and Atlus is in 150% milking mode :/

jiji said:
When did-- oh, I suppose P2 EP had characters that were a couple of years out of high school. And that was a sequel to a game (P2 IS) with high schoolers. Don't get your hopes up.
I'll try not to. :lol But the whole school sim thing might wear out after a few games, let's try a work sim instead.

The only kid (a few years out of highschool is acceptable to me) in EP was Tatsuya, which I thought was a nice change from rpgs where 4/5ths of the party are still learning about puberty.

xaosslug

SuperSonic1305 said:
Rumors:

- Third Person Halo Prequel for Holiday 2009
- Bioshock PS3 in September with all DLC and better visuals, Bioshock 2 shown around same time
- Max Payne 3, Red Dead Revolver 2, LA Noire for 360 as well, GTA MMO
- Persona 4 in North America before the end of 2008, Persona PSP and PS3 in the works
- Rock Band 2 with new modes
- New Castlevania for DS, Wii, and a 3D 360/PS3 game
- MGS4 PS3 bundle will be VERY limited. If you haven't pre-ordered by June you might be screwed

when, where, how?!? WTF!

Luckyman

Banned
monkspider said:
Why is anyone freaking out about the PS3 version looking slightly better? I imagine it is akin to Burnout's very slight visual improvements.

Because the game was leading and shown mainly on 360 and PS3 version was rumored to be in trouble.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Bizzyb said:
First off, Snaking was BAD

Snaking took the fun out of what was once a happy go lucky kart race into a "who can exploit the game mechanics best and win" romp. When racing against Snakers, Other players were forced to either;

A: Try to imitate the snaker and completely fuck it up making their loss even MORE inevitable

or

B: Continue racing knowing that no matter what they would never win the race

Sorry, but that just isn't the Mario Kart way

As for MK64, yeah, the MP was a blast but it was confined to offline. now, we get to play Online. And it was done the way it was because Nintendo knows that it wouldn't be fun if some Noob lost all their balloons after getting cluster fucked by three red shells only 30 secs into the match.

yeah, I ca see it now, Casuals would REALLY love that

Double Dash's two items were nice and all but really, was it that big of a deal? If you were in first you got, like what, maybe two bananas and a green shell? big whoop. It was nice, but it wasn't gameplay defining.

I can't comment on the Pow Block or whatever new items there are but how is Adding New items a BAD thing? How exactly do they take out the Balance?

First off no one starts off a battle mode with items. Thats a what if scenario of the highest order. You get gangraped, well sucks but it happens.

Second I'm advocating items that actually have some semblance of strategy to them, like the thunderbolt. You get a Pow Bock and you use it, you get a lightniing bolt and you use it. No thinking involved. On of the best things about the games is skillfully using your items. The whole banana/shell dynamic is really great. Good items having pros/cons or proper usage times, which is what made DD fun since you have to have the right item at the right time and it was important to pick up reserves.

And snaking is only bad if you dislike progressive skill based gameplay. Sure casuals might not like it but it gave an alternate serious side to the game that the developers want people to find and use if they so choose. The whole snaking problem was blown way out of proportion

f@luS

More than a member.
Bebpo said:
Phew, guess I can go ahead and get the PS3 version. I don't really trust multi games on PS3 and usually get the X360 version, but it sounds like they should at least be equal here.
110% my feeling.

DC R1D3R

Banned
monkspider said:

Surprisingly low reviews on Mario Kart. I think I will pass on that one.

Don't forget the supposedly better lighting and framerate in DMC4 and COD4. :[
I'm sure the comparison vids will ensue collosal Gaf meltdowns.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
HK-47 said:
And snaking is only bad if you dislike progressive skill based gameplay. Sure casuals might not like it but it gave an alternate serious side to the game that the developers want people to find and use if they so choose. The whole snaking problem was blown way out of proportion

You think snaking was intended to be part of Mario Kart DS gameplay? Please tell me you worded this improperly.

VideoMan said:
Also, the "sharper" comment might actually mean more jaggies, did you think of that? Maybe the 360 version has better antialiasing. Haha!

Didn't sound like it from Sam Houser's comments:

"There’s a certain kind of softness [to the PS3 version] without being blurry - some warmth to it - and then there’s a certain more clinical element to how the 360 looks."

Actually, if the PS3 version has a"softness without being blurry" that's the developer of the game saying pretty much the exact opposite of what you are suggesting.

Narcosis

Such great scores for Persona 3 FES and GTAIV! Woo!

And I hope those rumor sections are true. Persona 4 in the US before the end of 2008? day 1 purchase for me if true, make it happen Atlus!

Iksenpets

Banned
Damn, I was hoping that the Rock Band store bewing patched into the game meant they were going to do feature updates through DLC and not sequels.

Roar!! Max Payne 3!!

And hell I barely have any games for the PS3 as it is.

Wait a minute......I dont have any games for the PS3!!

So I guess I could give it some leverage and get GTAIV for the PS3, MGS4 will need company and thats all folks (for this year). I need a reason to turn on my PS3 since the rest of the games I want this year is on the 360. Like an rpg or two.

Decado

MP3 seems pretty unlikely. Remedy isn't big enough to make two huge games simultaneously. So if it happening, another developer is doing it, which probably means it will suck.

Pristine_Condition said:
Actually, if the PS3 version has a"softness without being blurry" that's the developer of the game saying pretty much the exact opposite of what you are suggesting.
Doesnt this also say the opposite of whats EGM saying?

Mario Kart Wii is one of the very best online games I've ever played. Yeah, you'll get fucked out of wins by items on plenty of occasions but if you're a good player you'll come in the top 6 the vast majority of the time. I've been in plenty of consecutive races and seen the same people win all of them despite having the kitchen sink thrown at them.

vertopci

P4 before end of 2008? Fucking awesome.

edit: Mario Kart Wii is dumbed down? How the fuck do you dumb down Mario Kart? Fuck you Nintendo for finding a way.

bluemax said:
is Person 3 FES limited run? My PS2 Slim laser died and I'm not buying another one (waiting to get a PS3 for MGS4) but I think I might want to play this at some point...

All Atlus games are basically limited editions runs. To be more accurate, they are low print runs. Atlus is too small of a company to afford flooding the retail chain with unsold copies.

Pristine_Condition said:

IGN said in their preview last month PS3 had "less aliasing issues". I'm torn, I was planning on getting it for X360, but assumed they would be identical. If the difference is apparent, I may go PS3 and trade later on if DLC is worth it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
biggkidd32 said:
All Atlus games are defacto limited editions runs. Retailers won't buy many copies in the initial production and refuse to buy subsequent runs of most Atlus games since there is a low demand. Thus Atlus doesn't produce extra runs of games that no seller will buy

fixed

Were there any comments on framerate? Has anyone said anything specifically about it? We know the game doesn't have a rock solid locked one so surely one version is going to be slightly better in that regard.

Narcosis

beelzebozo said:
that is one sexy motherfucking castlevania rumor.

Indeed. I'm a bit wary of the 3D PS360 game they mention, but if they are making a new 2D Castlevania for Wii I am buying it day 1.

CowboyAstronaut said:
"PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp"

Get to some specifics they always use this cop out line :lol

They don't give any, just that the 360 version is the "one to get" because of the DLC.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Narcosis said:
Indeed. I'm a bit wary of the 3D PS360 game they mention, but if they are making a new 2D Castlevania for Wii I am buying it day 1.

i always feel like they're two or three minor design decisions away from having really good 3d games, so i can't help but stay optimistic about it. but yeah, the 2d stuff is the real money-melon.

vertopci said:
P4 before end of 2008? Fucking awesome.

edit: Mario Kart Wii is dumbed down? How the fuck do you dumb down Mario Kart? Fuck you Nintendo for finding a way.
I can't say it any better :D .

Tr4nce

Wow, GTAIV gets another few maximum scores. I'm really glad for Rockstar. Can't wait for the moment I wake up Tuesday morning and go to my local game shop.

Top Bottom