• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM June 2008 Reviews and Rumors

Dante

Dever said:
In before GTAIV console war shitstorm. I hope.

Bioshock on PS3.. Awesome! I'm getting a Ps3 but I really want this game. They better not be faking that Infamous preview. Didn't they promise that one in like January? Along with FFXIII and Alan Wake? Christ.. :lol GTAIV is awesome. MGS4 is going to be awesome. This was my contribution to this thread.

It feels like they've been teasing inFamous forever. I am dying to know more :(

ethelred said:
A PSP Persona game would be supreme. A PS3 one as well, though, after two successive years of console Personae, would be overkill.

Maybe the PSP game is related to the Persona anime currently airing on late night TV in Japan?

ZeoVGM

Banned
k79 said:
Tears will flow, blood shall be shed :lol :lol :lol
Superior version confirmed!

Uh.. No.

Extra gameplay content is a bit more important to a game than looking SLIGHTLY (keyword) better.

Turn off the fanboy goggles, please.

wowfactor

Banned
Grand Theft Auto IV - A+, A+, A
Good: World, relationships, story
Bad: Some missions canned, control takes getting used to
PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp

Oh, hamburger!!! I'm gonna go get my popcorn ready.

f@luS

More than a member.
omg rite said:
Uh.. No.

Extra gameplay content is a bit more important to a game than looking SLIGHTLY (keyword) better.

:lol bitter tears startin, so fun.

yet i still dont believe the ps3 version to be superior technically

TreIII

The Castlevania rumors interests me. If they go the 2D route with the Wii and DS, they can do whatever the hell they want with the 3D PS3/360 title. 2/3 having the possibility of being good wouldn't be bad at all...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ethelred said:
A PSP Persona game would be supreme. A PS3 one as well, though, after two successive years of console Personae, would be overkill.

I could go for a SMT game then another Persona game on PS3 though. =)

dacuk

Dever said:
In before GTAIV console war shitstorm. I hope.

Bioshock on PS3.. Awesome! I'm getting a Ps3 but I really want this game. They better not be faking that Infamous preview. Didn't they promise that one in like January? Along with FFXIII and Alan Wake? Christ.. :lol GTAIV is awesome. MGS4 is going to be awesome. This was my contribution to this thread.

My dream of a PS3 / X360 priced at $250 is drawing closer....

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Dammit. How much better are the visuals on the PS3 version? Are we talking Burnout Paradise 360/PS3 difference, cause if so, DLC is far, FAR more important. But if it's a significant difference... I just don't know.

Mechar

Neo Member
Hopefully Persona 4 will be out this year. And that there are two new Persona games on the way. I would expect those two games (the PSP and the PS3) to be announced maybe at Tokyo Game Show perhaps. Or maybe this summer (not E3 though).
I also never could´ve imagined EGM to publish a review of Castle Shikigami III. I personally haven´t played any one of the earlier iterations, and I´m sure that many never had heard of the game before this review. And the Castlevania rumours are old but very exciting news.

Dante

omg rite said:
Uh.. No.

Now that's predictable :)

traveler

Not Wario
omg rite said:
Uh.. Actually, it's the definition of predictable.

Err... have you seen all the changes they've implemented? The gun combat, new driving physics, internet integration, stuff with the televisions, cellphones, change in focus to density over quantity, Euphoria,
multiple endings
, etc.? If you mean the concept, premise, and base gameplay are somewhat alike, then yes, but comparing Mario Kart Wii's amount of change to GTAIV's is just ridiculous.

ZeoVGM

Banned
f@luS said:
:lol bitter tears startin, so fun.

How is that bitter tears? I"m getting a PS3 in a month. Why would I have "bitter tears" if I can get GTA4 on PS3 both systems? Don't be a complete idiot.

How can you argue that the graphics looking slightly more "vibrant" makes it the better version when it doesn't have the downloadable missions + whatever else.

All I care about is the gameplay.

If the PS3 version had the extra content and the 360 version looked slightly better, I would think the PS3 version is "superior".

Jim

f@luS said:
Im still having a hard time believin ps3 version would be better than 360 from a technical standpoint....let alone exactly equal.
If its at least equal , PS3 all the way. If its not and smoother for exemple on 360, then 360.

An HDD install actually can make a difference if done right when it comes to streaming heavy amounts of data. Pretty much anyone I've talked to about the 2 versions lately (based on review code) have pretty much said the same thing.

Pistolero

Reviews:

Mario Kart Wii - B+, C+, C
Good: A few great new tracks and powerups
Bad: Dumbed-down gameplay, predictable design

Spot on ! There's a just videogame god after all. Super mario kart was a marvel of accuracy...and the gamaplay started losing its shine and dumbed down with every iteration. This + the recycling of old circuits + the framerate problems + the graphics (OMG !)...they were pretty generous.

PS3 or 360 version: 360 for DLC, PS3 version looks slightly more vibrant and sharp

* Grasps his magical umbrella *...It's gonna rain like hell !

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Jim said:
An HDD install actually can make a difference if done right when it comes to streaming heavy amounts of data. Pretty much anyone I've talked to about the 2 versions lately (based on review code) have pretty much said the same thing.

Doesn't the 360 sku offer the option of HDD install?

hiryu

SuperSonic1305 said:

Well that's what I was waiting for. Cancelled 360 preorder for PS3 preorder.

Bizzyb

Banned
Seems like some reviewers are going into Mario Kart Wii with a preconceived Negative perception because of Nintendo labeling it as the "Bridging" game for casuals.

I mean when has Mario Kart ever had non dumbed down gameplay?? besides Snaking, Mario Kart has always had the same basic, yet Fun mechanics; Drift, use items wisely. That's IT.

Now, they add motorbikes, and tricks, and somehow none of that counts towards expanding the gameplay....

ZeoVGM

Banned
Pistolero said:
Spot on ! There's a just videogame god after all. Super mario kart was a marvel of accuracy...and the gamaplay started losing its shine and dumbed down with every iteration. This + the recycling of old circuits + the framerate problems + the graphics (OMG !)...they were pretty generous.

I'm glad you're acting as if that's what it said.

MKDS is a better game than Super Mario Kart.

The "recycling of old circuits"? There's 16 new ones, THEN old circuits. That's extra. What's the problem with that exactly?

And the graphics look fine.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
omg rite said:
How is that bitter tears? I"m getting a PS3 in a month. Why would I have "bitter tears" if I can get GTA4 on PS3 both systems? Don't be a complete idiot.

How can you argue that the graphics looking slightly more "vibrant" makes it the better version when it doesn't have the downloadable missions + achievements

Fixed that for you.

Pimpbaa

Plinko said:
Bullshit. I'm calling it right now. "Dumbed-down" how? Because you can't snake? It's not like the Mario Kart series has been the pinnacle of racing technique.

Don't even get me started about the "predictable design" part. You could use that damn argument for every sequel released. Funny how they don't use that for GTA4.

Maybe because GTA4 isn't as predictable as it's predecessors. The Mario Kart series has been the very definition of predictable and these guys are tired of it. Personally I don't blame them. The series is old, tired and has barely evolved.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
- Persona 4 in North America before the end of 2008, Persona PSP and PS3 in the works
Good news about P4, the rest is... depressing. Atlus is all Persona now, that's very disappointing.

f@luS

More than a member.
omg rite said:

How can you argue that the graphics looking slightly more "vibrant" makes it the better version when it doesn't have the downloadable missions + whatever else.
I have never ever bought any DLC beside COD4 map pack. And i will not buy another one. I never ever finished any GTA (i went about 80% in vice city) , i may not finish this one at least never at 100% so more missions or something like that? i honestly dont care.

the only thing that matters for me , is the technical standpoint , coz GTA always had framerates issues and im a framerate whore...

Jim said:
PS3 always had a HDD and yet , 90% of the game are superior on 360...thats why i have some doubts. but i will be really glad if this is true....and it would be amazing from rockstar

You know I can see GTA having two different sales spikes this year.

Looks like the PS3 version is "slightly" better, so a lot of people, myself included, will be picking it up on PS3. A lot of people are also discounting the DLC even though we have no idea what it is, because it's terribly convenient when making the choice right now.

However, if the DLC comes out and it is very good, I can see a lot of people picking up the 360 version at that time anyway because despite what they say right now they will lust after it if it is indeed excellent and worth the money. Rockstar wins because they get to sell the same game twice. Few people will buy used because the popularity of this game will mean used copies are scarce/expensive and people will opt to spend $5 more on a clean new copy.

It's brilliant, really.

GreekWolf

f@luS said:
I've been burned enough times by EGM and Eurogamer to have learned not to take anyone's word about "teh supra version" at face value. There's entirely too many biases involved to trust anyone's judgment but my own. If it's a high-profile multiplatform title that I've been looking forward to, then I rent and test both versions, keeping the best one.

Nolan.

jetjevons said:
Dammit. How much better are the visuals on the PS3 version? Are we talking Burnout Paradise 360/PS3 difference, cause if so, DLC is far, FAR more important. But if it's a significant difference... I just don't know.

Well they did use the word slightly but lets ignore that and fan fires...

duk said:
i love how EGM still wants to stick to it that PS3 games will have better visuals :lol

reality.gif

Pistolero

omg rite said:
I'm glad you're acting as if that's what it said.

MKDS is a better game than Super Mario Kart.

The "recycling of old circuits"? There's 16 new ones, THEN old circuits. That's extra. What's the problem with that exactly?

And the graphics look fine.

I'm the one who's saying it, not the mag. Mario Kart's entry level has been lowered to accomodate all the "casuals". It's great for new comers, but for old adepts, it sucks. And the graphics (more importantly the artistic aspect) are eye-melting, sorry. Such lack of refinement for a major title...Was definitely rushed to the market.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sadist said:
More info about that Castlevania rumor please!!! Especialy the Wii one!

cviiidswiibr7.png

I don't know about it's Dness, but it probably does exist.

Also I have no clue why anyone would want a 3D Castlevania on 360/PS3. Just wasted money there.

I really doubt the two persona game rumor is true either, the closest I bet would be maybe one more Persona game and another mainline SMT game, both on unspecified platforms.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
SuperSonic1305 said:
Next Month Cover Story: Gears of War 2
Next Month Previews: Banjo Kazooie 3, Infamous
, Project Origin
Next Month Reviews: MGS4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Wii Fit, Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Rumors:

- Third Person Halo Prequel for Holiday 2009
- Bioshock PS3 in September with all DLC and better visuals, Bioshock 2 shown around same time

- Persona 4 in North America before the end of 2008, Persona PSP and PS3 in the works

Reviews:

Grand Theft Auto IV - A+, A+, A
Good: World, relationships, story
Bad: Some missions canned, control takes getting used to

Persona 3: FES - A, A, A
Good: Plenty of new content, $30 price
Bad: Some questionable soundtrack choices

Awesomeeee

jaaz

omg rite said:

Perhaps because to some people having the best visual presentation in THIS game is more important than having the ability to buy downloadable missions later?

Paracelsus

If 2K Games is gonna do a "Capcom" like with the PS3 port of Lost Planet, then they'd better stop themselves while they still can.

Anyway, next-gen SMT, give it to me, pliz.

traveler

Not Wario
I think Shane and others have elaborated on the "dumbed down" criticism in several podcasts and videos. The gist of it seems to be that, in making the power slides "automatic," eliminating snaking, and eliminating the element of having a second person in your kart, Nintendo hasn't so much played it safe, but actually regressed from some of the complexities present in Double Dash.

Pimpbaa

jaaz said:
Perhaps because to some people having the best visual presentation in THIS game is more important than having the ability to buy downloadable missions later?

SLIGHTLY more vibrant and sharp graphics is more important than DLC?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Pistolero said:
I'm the one who's saying it, not the mag. Mario Kart's entry level has been lowered to accomodate all the "casuals".It's great for new comers, but for old adepts, it sucks. And the graphics (more importantly the artistic aspect) are eye-melting, sorry. Such lack of refinement for a major title...Was definitely rushed to the market.

THIS IS INCORRECT.[/B]

Mario Kart has ALWAYS been casual. Always. And I AM an "old adept" and it doesn't suck. I just don't let nostalgia bother me. The GBA and DS Mario Karts are better games than the SNES one. Easily.

I had more FUN with the GameCube one too, but I won't say that's better, because god knows what that would start.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Bizzyb said:
Seems like some reviewers are going into Mario Kart Wii with a preconceived Negative perception because of Nintendo labeling it as the "Bridging" game for casuals.

I mean when has Mario Kart ever had non dumbed down gameplay?? besides Snaking, Mario Kart has always had the same basic, yet Fun mechanics; Drift, use items wisely. That's IT.

Now, they add motorbikes, and tricks, and somehow none of that counts towards expanding the gameplay....

All the other games had something to help balance out the ridiculousness. MK DS had snaking, 64 had battle mode (butchered in Wii), DD had double items, and SMK had actual balance. Plus it seems like blue shell and lightning had their frequency turned up for Wii. They didnt even allow us an item select to keep the rest of the items on. Pretty much every item in the game has a strategy to it use except for the two ridiculous ones. Plus many of the new items are fucking boring. POW block? WTF? Where is the Big Banana or the fireball?

:lol It's going to be funny when second opinions is dished out from gamespot and IGN and Game Informer. EGM will be exposed for the curs they are. The tangled Web we weave.

Struct09

Pistolero said:
I'm the one who's saying it, not the mag. Mario Kart's entry level has been lowered to accomodate all the "casuals". It's great for new comers, but for old adepts, it sucks. And the graphics (more importantly the artistic aspect) are eye-melting, sorry. Such lack of refinement for a major title...Was definitely rushed to the market.

I've been playing Mario Kart since the original on SNES launched, have played every iteration since, and I'm having loads of fun with MK:Wii. And if it was rushed to market, then they did a hell of a job in a small time for the online mode.

And the graphics are fine, calling them "eye melting" is overreacting.

To each his own, not trying to get you to like MK:Wii, but just clarifying things for those who haven't played.

jaaz

Jim said:

What Jim said. I personally care a little about slightly better visuals. But I sure care a lot if the HDD install improves loading times, framerates, less pop-up, etc.

Top Bottom