• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM subscriptions are up.

PaNaMa

Banned
Just re-subscribed. Always loved EGM, from the Harris/Semrad days right up til the very end.
Especially glad to see Shoe back, and Seanbaby.

I remember the golden days when EGM was running two mags (EGM2) and there was all this competition from Next Generation, DieHard Gamefan, Gamepro, Intelligent Gamer, Tehs Interwebz, etc .. and how receptive Steve Harris was to his subscribers and their thoughts on how keep his magazine on top. Glad to see him back in the saddle. Most of all, I'm looking forward to the digital format, media components, and all the integration/community possibilities that exist for digital subscribers.

ScOULaris

We took those days for granted, when we had dozens of magazines to choose from. It wasn't until EGM closed and we were left with only Game Informer and pre-Davison GamePro on the shelf that I realized how lucky we were back then.

I have a lot of faith in Steve Harris, however, because he's always seemed very in-tune with what makes a good publication and a successful business. So far, all of his plans for the new EGM sound fantastic.

Between this and the GameFan revival, 2010 is gonna be an exciting, nostalgia-filled year for print media fans.

Chrange

Banned
Until Halverson burns through all the startup capital (and writers he can find that'll still work for him) and closes GameFan down again :lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
No EGM in my mailbox yet, but I did get the first issue of my new GamePro subscription in the mail. Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2 is on the cover.

ScOULaris

Wow, the new GamePro came already? I usually pick it up at the store, and the last issue (with Splinter Cell: Conviction on the cover) just showed up a little over a week ago. I am gonna have to subscribe to GamePro as soon as my Game Informer sub expires.

EGM and Gamepro subscriptions. Time Warp!

Kaibutsu

Kaibutsu said:
I got the same email saying that my subscription couldn't be processed :( Going to reorder but what concerns me is although they said we won't be charged twice, my credit card was already charged and processed on 4/5/10 for $24.99 for the subscription i placed back in Feb. What's going to happen when I resubmit my order? hmmm

Just an update for those that have reordered, you may want to check with EGM's customer service/subscription department. After I contacted them I received an email saying their records show I have an "active and paid subscription" and to hold off on reordering while they check what happened.... If I would have reordered I would have been charged twice.

ScOULaris

http://bitmob.com/articles/mobcast-50-birthdays-frustrating-experiences-and-the-best-game-ever

Check out Bitmob.com's latest podcast. It's got Dan Hsu and Demian Lynn looking back on making the several Top 100 (or 200) games of all time lists for EGM anniversary issues, and their special guest this week is none other than SeanBaby.

SeanBaby even makes an offhand comment about an article he is working on for EGM. It's so nice to hear that. It's like EGM never left. :D

ScOULaris

On Steve Harris' Facebook, two people have apparently received their first issue in the mail. One is in France, and the other is in the Netherlands. How could it get there before where I live in the U.S.?

Anyway, if anyone on here has received their Zombie Issue, could you post some impressions? Even if it comes today for me, I won't be able to read it because I will be out of town for the weekend.

V_Ben

Banned
ScOULaris said:
On Steve Harris' Facebook, two people have apparently received their first issue in the mail. One is in France, and the other is in the Netherlands. How could it get there before where I live in the U.S.?

Anyway, if anyone on here has received their Zombie Issue, could you post some impressions? Even if it comes today for me, I won't be able to read it because I will be out of town for the weekend.

France and the Netherlands? how odd. Maybe they're sending them out in batches or something. Still waiting... :lol

ScOULaris

http://sebnec.free.fr/egm/

Someone from France who got the first issue posted some pictures of the new magazine. These aren't full-page scans, but rather snippets of articles that give you a sense of the new design.

According to the guy who posted these, the magazine is 100 pages long with nice, glossy paper stock.

Hopefully i can find this first issue on news stands. I just hope this magazine isn't one of those that you can pretty much only get by subscribing. I live in Chicago, and i swear that i can only find the three Future magazines, and nothing ells.

ScOULaris

V_Ben, several questions:

1. Where do you live? What state?
  2. Which cover did you get?
  3. What involvement does Dan Hsu have in the magazine? Did he write any articles for it, or is it more of a Bitmob tie-in?
  4. What would you compare the feel of the magazine to in terms of its materials? Next Generation? Play? Old EGM?

That's all I will ask. I hope I get the Ryu cover in my mailbox today or tomorrow. :D

joedick

Wow, looks like the 'Review Crew' is gone! That's pretty surprising to me. I wonder if every review will have a second opinion? The 'Good, Bad, and Uglies' are back though!

ScOULaris

Yeah, I definitely hope that they eventually move back to doing three-person reviews once they build their staff back up. As it is right now, they seem to be going with a simpler Game Informer-esque approach to reviews. One main reviewer and then a smaller Second Opinion review.

The 6.5 for Just Cause gives me hope though. Hope for a magazine with honest review scores once again.

V_Ben said:
Mine arrived today :) The design is beautiful, and paper is super high quality. Fantastic Stuff :D

I hope I get mine today. I've been waiting a LONG time to see what they've done. This is reassuring to hear though.

I really like the new direction of Gamepro. It's taking itself seriously and I appreciate that. I have high hopes for EGM after seeing those scans.

So are there different covers for this issue?

ScOULaris

Yes, one is with Ryu and one is with Ken. You can see pics in the OP.

And I am with you when it comes to GamePro. It's awesome now.

V_Ben

Banned
ScOULaris said:
V_Ben, several questions:

1. Where do you live? What state?
  2. Which cover did you get?
  3. What involvement does Dan Hsu have in the magazine? Did he write any articles for it, or is it more of a Bitmob tie-in?
  4. What would you compare the feel of the magazine to in terms of its materials? Next Generation? Play? Old EGM?

That's all I will ask. I hope I get the Ryu cover in my mailbox today or tomorrow. :D

Crikey, well.

- I'm in the UK, so take from that what you will
- I got the Ryu cover.
- Dan's involvement in this issue seems to be an editorial-style article about games journalists. It's a great read. I'm not sure, but it might be a revised version of one of his bitmob articles, but i'm not particularly sure
-Paper-wise, its better than old EGM. It seems to be using slightly glossy paper. Really great quality stuff. Also, the cover is made of something that has a card-like feel. Sturdy stuff.

V_Ben

Banned
joedick said:
Wow, looks like the 'Review Crew' is gone! That's pretty surprising to me. I wonder if every review will have a second opinion? The 'Good, Bad, and Uglies' are back though!

Yep, one main reviewer, one second opinion review. Smaller reviews are done by one reviewer. Gotta say, the layout of everything is quite simply stunning. Really fantastic looking stuff, layout-wise.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
ScOULaris said:
Wow, the new GamePro came already? I usually pick it up at the store, and the last issue (with Splinter Cell: Conviction on the cover) just showed up a little over a week ago. I am gonna have to subscribe to GamePro as soon as my Game Informer sub expires.

EGM and Gamepro subscriptions. Time Warp!

It's so cheap to subscribe. I thought I would buy atleast two or three GamePro's this year, which is almost the price of a subsciption so it is a no-brainer.

I hope I get my EGM today!!

V_Ben

Banned
SCHUEY F1 said:
It's so cheap to subscribe. I thought I would buy atleast two or three GamePro's this year, which is almost the price of a subsciption so it is a no-brainer.

It certainly isn't cheap to subscribe to gamepro if you're not in America. :-(

ScOULaris

You're from the UK? Great, so we can add yet another country outside of the U.S. to get the magazine before us. France, England, and The Netherlands.

What kind of fucked up distribution are they using for this?

One last question:

Do they have editor profiles? I really hope they do. Most magazines nowadays have done away with them, but I've always thought that they add a nice, personal touch to the reading experience.

ScOULaris

SCHUEY F1 said:

Yeah, I finally caved and just subscribed. The only reason I was hesitant is because I am going to be moving in three months anyway.

V_Ben

Banned
ScOULaris said:
You're from the UK? Great, so we can add yet another country outside of the U.S. to get the magazine before us. France, England, and The Netherlands.

What kind of fucked up distribution are they using for this?

One last question:

Do they have editor profiles? I really hope they do. Most magazines nowadays have done away with them, but I've always thought that they add a nice, personal touch to the reading experience.

For the review crew? yep, along the bottom of the first page of review crew. Even a profile for a certain ninja :D

ScOULaris

No Quarterman? I'm pretty sure Steve Harris said that Q-man would make a return. Hopefully it will start to show up in future issues.

Just got mine in the mail. Disappointing that there is no rumours section but hopefully it will come back. Should they have sent an EGMi pass to me yet?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Moving to a different address next month, so I'll be sure to subscribe to the mag then.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
ScOULaris said:
Current list of countries confirmed to have received EGM before the U.S.

- UK
- France
- The Netherlands
- Canada

WTF?

Having been subscribed since the hour subs went up, This sucks :lol

So hard to wait.

ScOULaris

Not only does it suck, but also it's just plain weird. Why would so many other countries, several of which have to cross the whole contiguous United States plus the Atlantic Ocean, have their copies delivered before people in the freaking country where it was printed and distributed?

Am I missing something here? Is our distribution model in the States really that effed up? No wonder it's so hard for magazines to stay current. It takes 3 weeks for subscribers issues to arrive, and another 1-2 weeks more than that to hit store shelves.

I can imagine writing for a magazine could get frustrating, knowing that your work wouldn't get out into people's hands until nearly a month later every time. This is why GamePro's new focus on feature articles and interviews is the best approach for print. Those aren't as time-sensitive as reviews, previews, and news, and they also have the added benefit of the writer taking the time to craft a lengthy, thoughtful article.

I hope the new EGM follows this model.

V_Ben

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Not only does it suck, but also it's just plain weird. Why would so many other countries, several of which have to cross the whole contiguous United States plus the Atlantic Ocean, have their copies delivered before people in the freaking country where it was printed and distributed?

Am I missing something here? Is our distribution model in the States really that effed up? No wonder it's so hard for magazines to stay current. It takes 3 weeks for subscribers issues to arrive, and another 1-2 weeks more than that to hit store shelves.

I can imagine writing for a magazine could get frustrating, knowing that your work wouldn't get out into people's hands until nearly a month later every time. This is why GamePro's new focus on feature articles and interviews is the best approach for print. Those aren't as time-sensitive as reviews, previews, and news, and they also have the added benefit of the writer taking the time to craft a lengthy, thoughtful article.

I hope the new EGM follows this model.

They could have sent out overseas ones first, because of the ash cloud. just to be safe.

ScOULaris

Hey V_Ben, now that you've had a chance to read through the whole thing, what's your overall assessment? Is EGM back "like never before?" (to quote the official site) :D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
After looking through it a bit closer, the content seems pretty good. Press Start has a focus on stories that don't pretend to be late breaking news like On Live and Motion Control.

Review Crew seems pretty standard, with one reviewer and a second opinion.

What I like is the SSFIV cover story, the long interview with Jaffe (please have interviews like this in every issue) and several columns towards the end of the issue by Shoe and others. Also the cover stock and page quality is good, definietly better than GamePro and Game Informer, but not quite as a good as EDGE though (EGM is less expensive though).

Page lay-outs and design could be better though in my opinion, I would like to have seen more of change in that respect from the older EGM. No to big of a deal though.

Piano

Banned
Still waiting to read through the first issue before subscribing, but from reading the impressions, all I can say is BRING BACK 3 REVIEWERS PER GAME!

Also, keep the font size small - the thing that annoyed me the most about late-era EGM was that they increased the font size and increased the amount of artwork, leaving most articles under 1000 words. The reviews were especially useless.

V_Ben

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Hey V_Ben, now that you've had a chance to read through the whole thing, what's your overall assessment? Is EGM back "like never before?" (to quote the official site) :D
Well, it's back, that's for sure. The magazine certainly feels different, but strangely familiar. It's certainly a great read, and I'm sure if you were a fan of egm as it was before, the new design may be a bit jarring, but you'll learn to love it. All in all, it's awesome.

V_Ben

Banned
TheEastonator said:
Still waiting to read through the first issue before subscribing, but from reading the impressions, all I can say is BRING BACK 3 REVIEWERS PER GAME!

Also, keep the font size small - the thing that annoyed me the most about late-era EGM was that they increased the font size and increased the amount of artwork, leaving most articles under 1000 words. The reviews were especially useless.
3 reviewers per game certainly was cool, but I'm pretty sure it's not exactly time efficient, and therefore cost efficient. This is a great direction for the magazine, and it's great.

ScOULaris

Well, they managed to use the three-reviewer system back when there were about 10 consoles at any given time competing for our attention and every version of a multiplatform game needed a separate review because of vast differences between ports. With that said, the reviews were essentially one paragraph long in the 90's.

I'll miss three reviewers, but I can appreciate a more robust review followed by a shorter second opinion.

Really, it's the layout that I am curious about. From those pictures I linked to earlier, it looks like they are going for an Edge-esque sterilized look. That can be a good or a bad thing depending on your personal tastes. I'm just glad that Gill Sans is back on the cover. :D

PS - I should mention that I wasn't a fan of EGM's 1up-style design from its last few years before shutting down. My favorite design that they ever employed was in the late 90's and early 2000's when John Davison was the EIC. It was clean, easy to read, and attractive.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
PS - I should mention that I wasn't a fan of EGM's 1up-style design from its last few years before shutting down. My favorite design that they ever employed was in the late 90's and early 2000's when John Davison was the EIC. It was clean, easy to read, and attractive.

I don't think it is as clean as the new GamePro.

Top Bottom