• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online Beta (PS4/Xbox One) starts tomorrow

gossi

Could one of the mods please change the thread title to say 'console beta' or some such? It's not just PS4.

Dunlop

Doh, I could have waited to get impressions on both versions before making my purchase

The $20 promo for PC owners was until the end of the month

EatMyFace

Banned
Aww yeah, got my Xbox one invite. Totally glad I went with that one since live speeds don't completely suck like psn does.
My PSN speeds are fine.

OT: I got that email last week asking me to confirm platform. When do I get the beta key?

EDIT: Lucky me I just got an email.

sensui-tomo

Heres hoping I get an email soon, i remember signing up for one on the ps4, well i guess i'll stay here if anyone has a copy to spare. I wonder how much changed since initial release on pc.

MaKTaiL

Important information from the email in case somebody missed it.

KNOWN ISSUES (PS4/XONE)

• When creating an account, the following countries will experience a login error: Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain and Switzerland. We recommend you select the United States as your country for this beta.
  • Customer Support tickets will display an error message even when successfully sent.
  • Switching accounts while trying to load into the game can cause an infinite load screen. Restarting the game will fix this.
  • If you launch the game before you plug in a headset, the headset will not work. You should launch the game with your headset already plugged in.
  • Health indicators may become desynced, and will display inaccurate information with regard to another player character's health. This is especially true when using a Restoration Staff, or trying to cast spells before you've fully loaded into an area.
  • Some animations, sounds, and particle effects will take longer to load than they should. This can cause placeholder graphics to appear, or cause the asset to be missing entirely.
  • If you repeatedly adjust the screen size in quick succession, the game will freeze and become unplayable.
  • Reporting another player character via the mail menu is not yet available, and will cause the interface to give an incomplete or blank display.
  • Actions that would normally force you to dismount (swimming, teleporting, going through a door, or getting knocked off by a monster) may cause you to become stuck on your mount. Relogging will fix this.
  • Some longer names will cause overlapping in the user interface.
  • Demoting another player character in a guild will cause them to be unable to enchant, repair, or charge weapons and armor until they close the game and restart.
  • The quest "Like Moths to a Candle" in Stros M'Kai will occasionally cause the game to crash.
  • Accepting invites to large groups will occasionally cause the game to crash.
  • The Combat Tutorial for "Break Free" is missing text in German and French clients.
  • If you are trying to repeatedly change the Friends list quickly, the game may crash.
  • Five or more group members can currently enter a four-player instance that should be restricted to four group members.
  • Items in the Crown Store will be priced at 1 Crown each for beta testing purposes. Items purchased during the beta will not transfer to the live version of the game.
  • Activity feed posts for the European beta do not currently have icons.
  • Online IDs of speakers in Group and Guild VOIP channels are not identifiable during loading screens; however, VOIP communication is still functional.
  • You cannot currently view Online IDs in some menus.
  • Unblocking player characters that are in a VOIP participant list outside the game will occasionally inadvertently block a different player character in the participant list.
  • Attempting to access another player character's Online ID through the VOIP menus will force the client back to a loading screen with message rate error.

Alo0oy

Banned
Considering how much of a disappointment this was on PC, can anyone explain to me why a console release would change that?

I haven't found consoles to ever be the 'definitive' platform for MMO's...

It will bomb on consoles worse than it did on PC probably.

It will be very hard to compete with FFXIV on PS4, it might be moderately successful on Xbone though, this will be the first AAA MMO on that console.

Bizzquik

Man, I would love an Xbox One code.

If the game had been available for digital purchase on Xbox.com now I would have bought it already. I wish they would've had it up and used the beta as a 'thank you' for advance purchasers.

Still, really excited to hear what you all think; I'm hoping its good! I've never played an MMORPG before, and the Elder Scrolls name seems like a great entry point for newbies like me.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

It will be very hard to compete with FFXIV on PS4, it might be moderately successful on Xbone though, this will be the first AAA MMO on that console.
I think you're underestimating the strength of the Elder Scrolls brand. That plus a lack of a mandatory subscription fee should definitely help on consoles.

Alo0oy

Banned
I think you're underestimating the strength of the Elder Scrolls brand. That plus a lack of a mandatory subscription fee should definitely help on consoles.

It's "brand" didn't help it on PC, why should it be any different on consoles? If it bombed on it's main platform it's not gonna do any better on consoles, MMOs perform vastly better on PC with the exception of Final Fantasy which is very PS-centric, & ESO is gonna have to compete with that, no cross-play doesn't help the game either.

That's why I said it could do well on Xbone, it has no competition there, it just needs to be advertized more by MS.

Elder scrolls is pretty big on consoles especially after skyrim and while this game isn't exactly skyrim online I think it will satisfy most. However this most likely will not have WoW like success if that is your meaning of bombing.

TheContact

Got an invite but my ps4 is in repairs. Might just give it away if Any elder scrolls fan wants it. Just prove to me ur an elder scrolls fan somehow.

MMaRsu

Banned
Got an invite but my ps4 is in repairs. Might just give it away if Any elder scrolls fan wants it. Just prove to me ur an elder scrolls fan somehow.

Dude I love Elder scrolls , played them all since I was a kid.

PM'd and all that ^_^

TheContact

Damn didn't think that many people would be interested. Ended up giving it to MMaRsu mainly because he asked first. Wish I had more than one to give out. Hopefully if you guys applied you'll get in soon

apav

Do you guys think the game will look better on the PS4 or Xbox One? I'm curious to see how noticeable the downgrade from PC max settings to console is.

Hawk269

It bombed on PC because the game was not ready for prime time when it was released. The game has changed a lot since launch and it is like a different game right now. There was a separate thread and the majority of PC players that played at launch played the more recent version and it has been getting universal praise from a large group of people here on Gaf on how much it improved.

I also don't see how bringing FFXIV on PS4 has anything to do with ESO since ESO is on both platforms, mac and PC.

The game is great and I have been enjoying it so much more than when the game launched. I think saying it will bomb and worse than it did on PC is basically talking out of your ass. Did you even play the game on PC/MAC and in particular the most recent version?

Like someone else said before I decided to reply, I think you are under-estimating the Elder Scrolls name when it comes to console. Elder Scrolls is a huge IP and with the changes they made to the game it does play even more like a traditional ES game now.

Hawk269

There's a ton of abilities. You can only map five at a time.

You can actually Map a total of 10 abilities once you reach Level 10 I believe. At level 10 you get the ability to carry another weapon with another set of 5 abilities. For example, my healer also is very good with a Bow & Arrow. So when I am using him as a healer, I have a separate set of 5 abilities, then I have another set of 5 for when I am more offensive. On the PC version, you hit the " ` " key to swap the weapon and abilities.

Like you stated however, there are a TON of abilities, which really makes you have to plan out how you want to approach things and what abilities you want to focus on and level up. There are a lot of options in the game to really make your character unique.

Do you guys think the game will look better on the PS4 or Xbox One? I'm curious to see how noticeable the downgrade from PC max settings to console is.

it isn't particularly pretty on the technical side so I'm personally not expecting a huge difference between the three with ps4 taking the advantage on the console side if anything.

Gaz_RB

Honestly, I came back to this game last week after only playing over a year ago, and I'm really quite enjoying it. Certainly one of the more immersive MMOs out there.

Have fun with the beta!

gossi

It's "brand" didn't help it on PC, why should it be any different on consoles? If it bombed on it's main platform it's not gonna do any better on consoles, MMOs perform vastly better on PC with the exception of Final Fantasy which is very PS-centric, & ESO is gonna have to compete with that, no cross-play doesn't help the game either.

That's why I said it could do well on Xbone, it has no competition there, it just needs to be advertized more by MS.

TES Skyrim sold siginifcantly more units on console than PC.

Pop

Honestly, I came back to this game last week after only playing over a year ago, and I'm really quite enjoying it. Certainly one of the more immersive MMOs out there.

Have fun with the beta!

Yup

The world is great.

Isurus

Well, got the email to select a platform last week (selected Xbone), but no email with a code yet. If anyone wants to PM me an Xbone code, I'll pay forward the favor if/when I get a code.

BokehKing

Banned

Free to play in a world I'm interested in vs $15 with a horrible map system (I always get lost in ff14)

cjp

Just realised that when I signed up for the beta back in 2013 it was with a different email.

I found the sign up confirmation and in that email there's a link to update subscription details/personal info but the email field is greyed out.

Sigh.

No email for me :(

If anyone has an extra XB1 code who is willing to part with it, I'll gladly take it off your hands. Can't wait to read everyone's impressions of the console version.

Top Bottom