• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Elder Scrolls Online's PS4 & Xbox One client exceeds the 50GB bluray disc size"

Gamezone

Gold Member
You're going to be very much in the minority on that one. I'd wager the vast majority of people are not concerned about whether a game they buy today will be playable forever, much less say, 10 years from now.

I still bought the systems because Jack Tretton said that PS4 disc based games won`t require me to check in online to play. Microsoft said the same thing after they removed the DRM. Physical games is the only reason I didn`t go 100% PC this generation.

IvanJ

Banned
Do games download the rest of the game in rest mode? Previously I've bought digital games and they've downloaded the amount so that you can start (icon on the homescreen) then the rest seems to not go anywhere in rest. Nor can you pause it as it's not in the download list. I really dislike the PS4's OS...

They have always been able to download in rest mode, I have been doing it since launch. I have even noticed the download go faster when in rest compared to when it is powered on.
And since recent updates, you can pause downloads, and the rest (after the initial download) has now been patched to appear in notifications so you can pause it at any time.

Lucifon

They have always been able to download in rest mode, I have been doing it since launch. I have even noticed the download go faster when in rest compared to when it is powered on.
And since recent updates, you can pause downloads, and the rest (after the initial download) has now been patched to appear in notifications so you can pause it at any time.

Great, thanks for that. A welcome change.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Bigger patches than this, and a disc almost becomes useless. What`s the point? People buy physical games on consoles so they won`t have to go trough huge downloads. 15 GB is too much. When I help people as an Xbox ambassador, I always have to calm down people who are frustrated because of this.

Somnia

Bigger patches than this, and a disc almost becomes useless. What`s the point? People buy physical games on consoles so they won`t have to go trough huge downloads. 15 GB is too much. When I help people as an Xbox ambassador, I always have to calm down people who are frustrated because of this.

This is a MMO, what did you expect? As an online only focused game that gets regular content updates and patches this is the norm for this genre.

They can't throw it all on the disc and then be done with it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
This is a MMO, what did you expect? As an online only focused game that gets regular content updates and patches this is the norm for this genre.

They can't throw it all on the disc and then be done with it.

I know, but Halo MCC wasn`t online only or MMO.

well at least the PS3 enjoyed a long period of single discs. the Xbox however will see another multi-disc situation for the second generation in a row.

Somnia

I know, but Halo MCC wasn`t online only or MMO.

Didn't know we were discussing stuff beyond ESO since this is an ESO thread, my bad!

I was talking directly just about the game in the subject. I will not disagree with you that patches for other games are a bit large, but I don't have a data cap or slow speed so it doesn't bother me personally, but sucks for others.

Ragona

So how much hassle is it actually to swap a ps4 hdd + transferring stuff? Starting to think i better do it now before it gets even more bothersom

FyreWulff

well at least the PS3 enjoyed a long period of single discs. the Xbox however will see another multi-disc situation for the second generation in a row.

This is only because Sony prohibited multiple discs on PS3 SKUs. Because it was a point of pride/contention that they wanted to hold over the 360.

Hell, Microsoft used to also outright ban multi disc SKUs because they didn't want Sony to go "lol 360 needs multiple discs". They only finally relented later but forced you to release at 60$ if you multi-disced to make it seem like multi-disc was a premium. Before that, they only allowed Japanese developers to ship multi-disc because they were trying to court Japanese developers aggressively.

It's even more pointless now for upper corporate to have this hangup about multiple disc because the way the One and the PS4 are designed, you never need to swap anyway because games install themselves entirely to the HDD. Heck, Halo 4 came out multi-disc on the 360 and you never had to disc-swap.

Everybody is using Blu Ray too, so you can't even say it's because of their storage medium anymore.

Ridley327

The content can't just be heavily compressed since it is just installed on HDD?

As I mentioned, it's usually not so simple with MMOs. There will assuredly be content that they'll be working on that will come out in time for the game's release, but not in time for when the game goes gold and the discs get pressed. I can't think of a single MMO that didn't have some degree of additional content updating at launch in addition to whatever is on the disc.

FyreWulff

Haven`t Sony made 100 GB Bluray discs long ago? Do Xbox One and PS4 even support these?

Hardly anyone supports BDXL. It's mostly used by people that want to archive tons of data. You could probably print double digit discs for a game and still come out cheaper than a single BDXL compatible disc

So what happens when offline games doesnt fit on a single disc? Aren't these games suppose to work without checking in too?

I don't think we'll see offline games much anymore. As in pure offline, everything has that day one patch/download.

Just split the game over two discs, you weirdos.
It's not like it's run from them.

Why pay for a second disc when you can just make people download it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't think we'll see offline games much anymore. As in pure offline, everything has that day one patch/download.

Why pay for a second disc when you can just make people download it.

Almost every game can be played offline without the day one patch, unless the game is always online. You just miss the patch.

When people buy a physical copy of something, they do it because they to skip huge downloads, thats why.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Hardly anyone supports BDXL. It's mostly used by people that want to archive tons of data. You could probably print double digit discs for a game and still come out cheaper than a single BDXL compatible disc

Doesn`t Ultra-HD movies have a 66GB dual-layer or a 100 GB triple-layer Blu-ray disc?

JeffG

No need to be a dick.

Do you understand how patching systems work? Client+some data on disk 1, more content on disk 2.

Its a simple concept and we've been downloading additional content for console games and updates for a long time. The same rules apply no matter the medium the data is delivered on.

So... Why would multiple disks not work again?

Since you seem to know how everything works.

Riddle me this Batman.

What happens when you take a disk out of a xbox one on an application that is running?

Top Bottom