• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELI MANNING OWNS TIKI BARBER, THE AFC, THE ENTIRE LEAGUE, AND THE UNIVERSE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gigglepoo said:
But doesn't this game, your specific example, prove that a game cannot be decided by one stupid penalty?
Okay, Socrates, you got me. Yes, in this case, the game was not decided by that penalty.

If it had been, though, you can bet that there would be calls for a rule change (12 men on the field only advances the line of scrimmage 5 yards, distance needed for first down remains the same).

Gigglepoo

Green Shinobi said:
If it had been, though, you can bet that there would be calls for a rule change

If they didn't change the Tuck Rule you can be sure they wouldn't have changed 12 Men on the Field either. I'm actually surprised anyone feels so passionately about a completely fair rule. Does anyone else even have a problem with this?

Green Shinobi said:
Okay, Socrates, you got me. Yes, in this case, the game was not decided by that penalty.

If it had been, though, you can bet that there would be calls for a rule change (12 men on the field only advances the line of scrimmage 5 yards, distance needed for first down remains the same).

From Giants fans maybe most every analyst would just be ragging on that Giant player for being on the field when he was not supposed to. They would tear apart the Giants for blowing an oppertunity on something so stupid and simple, only have 11 players in the huddle and on the field.

perfectchaos007 said:
I'm thinking it must have been a really random thing said that was pretty funny at the time and just stuck with everyone.

Just read wiki, yeah it was Simms, he was told by Disney to say it, it was an ad campaign.

hey green, why dont we just drop all penalties with out a concise impact?

False start? who cares, the guy just moved a bit
Go one second over the play clock? its only 1 second
Unintentional Facemask? it was unintentional!

So what happened to Shalashaska and hootie? I could dig up some quotes that could seriously own their accounts. :lol :lol :lol

EDIT: I meant to post this earlier last night

http://www.miamiherald.com/858/story/404898.html

New Orleans Saints defensive end Charles Grant was stabbed in the neck at an Atlanta, Georgia night club on Saturday night, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

The veteran is not thought to be seriously injured, however. According to the NFL Network, Grant was stabbed during an incident that also involved the shooting death of a pregnant woman. Grant's connection to the shooting is unknown.

"We are aware of the situation," Saints spokesman Greg Bensel told the newspaper. "We are still gathering information. We understand that Charles was not seriously injured. It is an unfortunate situation and we will have no further comment until we gather more information."

When the first time i heard this i instantly though sean taylor. :(

Good to hear he his alright, and heres to hoping he isn't involve with that senseless crime.

cilonen

MiamiWesker said:
I want to say Phil Simms back in whatever SB he won... am I right?

We got the NFL Films story of that Phil Simms superbowl win over here before the game - all week leading up to the game he wouldn't sign a contract with Disney to take part in a 'dreams come true' ad campaign if he won to avoid temting fate and angering the football gods - Elway had already signed to do it if the Broncos won.

As soon as the Giants did win, he was all over that contract like a rash.

Edit: watching back the last couple of minutes now - Belichick walked off before the last play of the game? WTF? Coach fucking perfect won't look the coach that beat him in the eye and shake his hand? what a classless piece of shit.

Edit 2: My bad, I'm reading on ESPN he shook Coughlin's hand before leaving the field. I'll lay off him a bit, but only a little bit :lol

eznark

Banned
Just woke up, still super super sweet. Cannot wait to go to work and see the tears flow from these Boston fans. The best part is going to be the defense of Bellicheat for his cowardly sprint to the sidelines before the game was over.

eznark

Banned
cilonen said:
We got the NFL Films story of that Phil Simms superbowl win over here before the game - all week leading up to the game he wouldn't sign a contract with Disney to take part in a 'dreams come true' ad campaign if he won to avoid temting fate and angering the football gods - Elway had already signed to do it if the Broncos won.

As soon as the Giants did win, he was all over that contract like a rash.

Edit: watching back the last couple of minutes now - Belichick walked off before the last play of the game? WTF? Coach fucking perfect won't look the coach that beat him in the eye and shake his hand? what a classless piece of shit.

Edit 2: My bad, I'm reading on ESPN he shook Coughlin's hand before leaving the field. I'll lay off him a bit, but only a little bit :lol

he still left before the game was over. Joe Gibbs was a man and took Belicheat's unnecessary and unsportsmanlike piling on as such, without a word of complaint. The Cheat can't even stay to watch his team pull off the biggest choke in American sports?

At least Bill Buckner played in game 7.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Go NFC East! Best division in NFL history.

There's always a bias towards recent memory for sure, but that surely was one of the greatest game winning drives I've ever seen in the Super Bowl.

Sanjuro

As a Patriots fan I'm not the least sad. Disapointed? Sure. But this was one of the best Super Bowls I have ever witnessed. The Giants in a span of 4 weeks defeat the top 3 teams in the NFL...teams that were distinctly better than the rest of the seeds of the qualifying teams. I still think thats pretty impressive.

On another note. For me its sad to post here. I know there are some people that genuinely like football here but to wade through the random anti-Boston sporting teams. I hate having to defend myself by making a genuine post here. I apologize for the people who wear pink Boston hats and think that they know something about football. We have them and by looking at many of the posts here obviously GAF sells some kind of pink hats too. For me I'm proud the Patriots are one of the elite teams in the league and look forward to them taking the field again next season. But to hear people say they choked while IN the Super Bowl never having a lead more than a touchdown? Nonsense. For me seeing a perfect season wouldn't be about becoming an asshole about it, but would be remembering it for the rest of my life and being able to tell my kids about it when they become fans of the game.

But to be honest all the hate does get to me. Maybe I do miss the lovable loser mentality which has been crushed since the year 2001. I'm truly sorry for the thousands of pink hats who don't even remember who Drew Bledsoe is.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
cilonen said:

Actually he embraced him, mafia-style. Don't be surprised to see Coughlin turn up dead some time in the next few days.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Klaxon said:
Is there some sort of video summary of the game?

I fell asleep during Tom Petty's performance. :(

Basically watch the first quarter and first play of the second quarter on fast forward, then the whole of the fourth quarter. The middle half of the game isn't worth bothering with, unless you like Tom Petty.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't really know anything about Football (I'm a Brit) but I actually enjoyed the game last night. My girlfriends from Boston and is a big Pats fan. She's been going on about how awesome the Pats are, and swooning over Brady, for as long as I've known her. All week I was telling her how funny it was going to be when the Giants steal the Pats perfect season away from them (never really believing it was actually going to happen.) All night I was cheering for the Giants just to piss her off:lol Unfortunately she didn't see the funny side last night at the end of the game-and neither did I, since she denied me sex because of my antics.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
As a Patriots fan I'm not the least sad. Disapointed? Sure. But this was one of the best Super Bowls I have ever witnessed. The Giants in a span of 4 weeks defeat the top 3 teams in the NFL...teams that were distinctly better than the rest of the seeds of the qualifying teams. I still think thats pretty impressive.

On another note. For me its sad to post here. I know there are some people that genuinely like football here but to wade through the random anti-Boston sporting teams. I hate having to defend myself by making a genuine post here. I apologize for the people who wear pink Boston hats and think that they know something about football. We have them and by looking at many of the posts here obviously GAF sells some kind of pink hats too. For me I'm proud the Patriots are one of the elite teams in the league and look forward to them taking the field again next season. But to hear people say they choked while IN the Super Bowl never having a lead more than a touchdown? Nonsense. For me seeing a perfect season wouldn't be about becoming an asshole about it, but would be remembering it for the rest of my life and being able to tell my kids about it when they become fans of the game.

But to be honest all the hate does get to me. Maybe I do miss the lovable loser mentality which has been crushed since the year 2001. I'm truly sorry for the thousands of pink hats who don't even remember who Drew Bledsoe is.

Boston fans have become what they despise, cocky Yankee fans.
I miss the days of the Boston underdog.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Anybody else kind of dissapointed Eli got MVP?

Cuz....they wouldn't have won if it weren't for Justin Tuck. That man pulled the greatest performance in sports history and like nobody is talkin' about it.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Wellington said:
:D :D :D

Man I am wasted, my voice is gone, and I smell like champagne. All worth it. Gonna be a long day at work. :(
:lol Oh but its so worth it. Just coming in here to say congrats bro. The giants now own the most epic drive of my lifetime.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I practically *flew* into work today, guess everyone around here was partying too hard and so they took off! :lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Bill simmons said:
8. Finally, can you guess the last thing we heard as we were walking (OK, hustling) out of the stadium right after the final play? That's right, it was the sound of euphoric Giants fans chanting, "Eighteen and one! Eighteen and one! Eighteen and one!" Yes, it's safe to say the Boston-New York rivalry has been taken to new heights. As a tennis umpire would say, "Advantage, New York."

Eighteen and one! Eighteen and one! Eighteen and one!

I can still hear them. I will always hear them.

:lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am surprised more analysts aren't pointing out how mind-numbingly stupid and arrogant it was for Belichick to go for it on 4th and 13 in a tight game rather than kick a 49-yard field goal. At the very least, they could have punted and tried to pin them deep and send the Defense in to put all kinds of pressure on Eli. If any Pats fan wants to know why they lost, that 4th and 13 sums it up.

On a different note, I caught Tiki interviewing Eli after the game on the Today show this morning. Eli was classy and said that they won because they had the "right guys playing." Suck it down, Tiki.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/22989906#22989906

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
perfectchaos007 said:
I have a question. Where did the tradition of saying "I'm Going to Disneyland" after winning the superbowl start?

Just saw Eli do a Disneyworld ad on ESPN 2, the tradition is still alive. Now, I must read this Simmons column.

YYZ

man, just watching some of the highlights, that escape from the clutches by Eli and the subsequent reception by Tyree are both so amazing and I'm not even a football fan at all.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
DenogginizerOS said:
I am surprised more analysts aren't pointing out how mind-numbingly stupid and arrogant it was for Belichick to go for it on 4th and 13 in a tight game rather than kick a 49-yard field goal.

It was a 50-yard field goal actually mumble mumble field position.

Talamius said:
Simmons' column that just went up reads like a suicide note:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080204

I felt like Simmons dad after the game. Total disbelief, wasn't making excuses, just couldn't believe what I had just seen. The past few years, outside of not getting Duncan or Oden (though that may be a blessing in disguise) us Boston fans have been getting all the lucky breaks, and last night's game was a far cry from that.

Also I can't wait to go to work on Tuesday, all the stupid girls who work there and love Tom Brady finally won't try to talk sports with me and sound like idiots.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'd just love to read those essays, reports, articles, blog posts, etc. that were already written by journalists all over the country that would've been posted had the Patriots won. "Greatest Team Ever" would've been a lock, but I wonder what else the would've come up with. I'm assuming they get deleted just like those Patriots super bowl championship tshirts and hats.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a team going 19-0, just not these Patriots. Like, if the Rams during their "greatest show on turn years", or Peyton Manning last year. I just can't root for this bunch. Not with the cheating, not with the head coach. There's just too much to root against, even if I lost an opportunity to tell my kids that I saw the greatest team of all time play.

I still don't get the hate the Patriots get. I think the only team I actively root against is the Yankees and the Canadians, because there is some deep seeded hatred there (they both always kick our asses).

Slo

funkmastergeneral said:
I still don't get the hate the Patriots get. I think the only team I actively root against is the Yankees and the Canadians, because there is some deep seeded hatred there (they both always kick our asses).

I don't mind the Pats. It's just the arrogant bandwagoning Pat's fans that drive me crazy.

BITTER TEARS CRY MORE LOLOL

Slo said:
I don't mind the Pats. It's just the arrogant bandwagoning Pat's fans that drive me crazy.

BITTER TEARS CRY MORE LOLOL

oh definitely, same here. Like I said in an earlier post, these girls are work are absolutely bone headed when it comes to sports, and for one reason or another just love to talk about it.
And this may sound stupid but I hope the Patriots don't retain Moss for next year, the whole teams style changed this year because of him and I didn't really like it. While it was nice to have a homerun threat for once, it made the Patriots way too cocky of a team, Brady was trying to bomb it all the first half and it never worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom