• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELI MANNING OWNS TIKI BARBER, THE AFC, THE ENTIRE LEAGUE, AND THE UNIVERSE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
bill simmonds said:
Our underdog opponent gained confidence, punched us in the mouth a few times, kept punching and punching, caught a few breaks, threw a few more punches, ran out of gas near the end, looked to be done ... and out of nowhere, rallied for a miracle drive to steal the championship.

You know, I'm pretty tired of new england fans (and journalists who picked NE to win) talking about luck and breaks and all that crap. The Giants played better from the start and dominated defensively. Did they catch a few breaks? No more than New England. Or have we forgotten the low throw that Steve Smith bobbled right into the defenders hands for Eli's only pick. Or how about the fact that the Patriots scored the go ahead touchdown uncontested after Randy Moss' defender tripped on an invisible gopher.

And that catch wasn't luck, it was athletic skill and tremendous focus mixed with willpower.

moss is the reason for welkers success. they essentially can't double cover welker. they can run zones where they give help in the form of a DE or LB, but once he gets separation from the CB, it's easy pickin's against a LB/DE

jman2050

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the 1 loss was in the superbowl. the 49ers and bears won the superbowl. why don't you ask the pats where they would have liked that 1 loss to come (regular season or the playoffs).

their season is meaningless. they are just like 31 other NFL teams now.

I thought the joke was pretty clear :/

VanMardigan said:
You know, I'm pretty tired of new england fans (and journalists who picked NE to win) talking about luck and breaks and all that crap. The Giants played better from the start and dominated defensively. Did they catch a few breaks? No more than New England. Or have we forgotten the low throw that Steve Smith bobbled right into the defenders hands for Eli's only pick. Or how about the fact that the Patriots scored the go ahead touchdown uncontested after Randy Moss' defender tripped on an invisible gopher.

And that catch wasn't luck, it was athletic skill and tremendous focus mixed with willpower.
No doubt, the Giants were the better team who shot themselves in the foot 3/4 of the game then made the plays when they had to.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
themadcowtipper said:
quick someone add Tom Brady to this pic

bradyFailure.jpg

bradyFailure2.jpg

X26

Banned
bob_arctor said:
Now, now, 31 other teams didn't go 18 straight weeks undefeated for no good reason.

31 other teams also didn't get caught cheating

regular season = tainted
playoffs = choke
patriots = LOL

j-wood

So what does everyone think of Belicheck walking off the field, even though the ref clearly told both coaches when they met that 1 second had to played off the clock?

TheDuce22

Banned
CB3 said:
no we didnt. you think welker would be putting up the same numbers with us? They could double him everytime out because there is no other threat. Welker gets free because of moss

If we had a fucking punt returner we would be 9-7 at least and in the playoffs. Plus Welker has the ability to make people miss and rack up yards after the catch. I rarely saw that from Curtis.

I decided to listen to Boston sportstalk online, meltdowns everywhere. :lol Many people blaming Moss for missing that catch in the last drive, come on...

One thing that is crazy though some sports writers are saying the Pats won't make the playoffs next year, how are these people allowed to write about sports.

Fowler

Am I the only one that thinks this defeat makes the 2007 Patriots even more memorable and special?

Win, and they become the NFL's second ever perfect team, joining the Dolphins. Someone's done it before.

Lose, and... it's totally unique. A perfect regular season followed by a Superbowl upset against the sixth seed from the supposedly weaker conference.

I mean really, as much as everyone says "they're just like those other 31 teams, LOSERS", surely this Patriots team will forever go down in history, albeit for the wrong reasons? In 15 years, what will (non-Giants fans) remember more about this Superbowl: That the Giants won or the Pats lost? I bet, with all due respect to the Giants, it'll be the latter.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
TheDuce22 said:
If we had a fucking punt returner we would be 9-7 at least and in the playoffs. Plus Welker has the ability to make people miss and rack up yards after the catch. I rarely saw that from Curtis.

you honestly think our #1 WR would be our punt returner too? if that were the case we have 2 great punt returners in BW and Lito. Starters dont play special teams

Chiggs

Gold Member
j-wood said:
So what does everyone think of Belicheck walking off the field, even though the ref clearly told both coaches when they met that 1 second had to played off the clock?

I thought it was fantastic, personally. Shame his press conference wasn't more memorable. I wanted him to throw the whole team under the bus.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
It was a cold, cold morning in Massachusetts. THE TIME HAS COME TODAY. The jokes already been made but great song choice Tom Petty made considering the outcome.

Fowler said:
Am I the only one that thinks this defeat makes the 2007 Patriots even more memorable and special?

Win, and they become the NFL's second ever perfect team, joining the Dolphins. Someone's done it before.

Lose, and... it's totally unique. A perfect regular season followed by a Superbowl upset against the sixth seed from the supposedly weaker conference.

I mean really, as much as everyone says "they're just like those other 31 teams, LOSERS", surely this Patriots team will forever go down in history, albeit for the wrong reasons? In 15 years, what will (non-Giants fans) remember more about this Superbowl: That the Giants won or the Pats lost? I bet, with all due respect to the Giants, it'll be the latter.

Why would any team want to be remembered for almost achieving glory, almost achieving perfection? Like Brandi said, "Almost doesn't count"

TheDuce22

Banned
CB3 said:
No. Curtis is the better WR for this team because Reggie Brown wont be pulling a randy moss to get welker open

Well Moss is a free agent. Maybe we will get to see what Curtis can do with him drawing coverage. :lol Or perhaps Chad Johnson. Make it happen!!!!

eznark

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
I decided to listen to Boston sportstalk online, meltdowns everywhere. :lol Many people blaming Moss for missing that catch in the last drive, come on...

One thing that is crazy though some sports writers are saying the Pats won't make the playoffs next year, how are these people allowed to write about sports.

They are old, on the offensive line and at linebacker. I could see them missing the playoffs. Christ, it's the NFL, next season they might only win 5 games.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
TheDuce22 said:
Well Moss is a free agent. Maybe we will get to see what Curtis can do with him drawing coverage. :lol Or perhaps Chad Johnson. Make it happen!!!!

i wish we would but the front office wont go after CJ. Big price tag and his agent happens to be drew rosenhaus. Believe it or not Randy Moss would be more likely but my faith in the FO is trashed, i dont believe they are gonna make any big move in free agency -_-

Fowler

BlueTsunami said:
Why would any team want to be remembered for almost achieving glory, almost achieving perfection? Like Brandi said, "Almost doesn't count"

Oh I'm not saying that THEY want to be remembered as the ultimate chokers, I'm saying it makes them more memorable for the rest of us. A team that went 18-0, broke a slew of offensive records, and was basically THIRTY FIVE SECONDS away from perfection. Unreal story.

Plus, every time a team makes a run at 16-0, they will always be mentioned as the team that did it... but then lost it all. The ultimate cautionary tale.

Just read the Bill Simmons article, seems like a geniune Pats fan letting his heart out after the loss. I see nothing wrong with it at all, he makes a lot of interesting observations like the halftime music and such. Loved the article.

Karakand

MiamiWesker said:
If Moss was white we wouldn't be hearing that kind of talk!

Fowler said:

The Bears have already done what the Pats did this year. Twice. And nobody remembers those teams. Granted, it happened during the 30's and 40's, but the point remains. People remember winners. Nobody remembers that the Mariner's team of a few years ago (I can't even remember the fucking year) tied the record for most wins in a regular season. They lost in the first round of the playoffs and were forgotten about shortly thereafter. Nobody remembers the Vikings team that went 15-1 and lost in the NFC championship to Atlanta. Nobody remembers the team that didn't win it all.

They are saying this SB may be the most watched SB of all time and maybe the second most watched TV program in US history. Not surprised, I knew this game would shatter records.

Karakand

ALeperMessiah said:
Nobody remembers that the Mariner's team of a few years ago (I can't even remember the fucking year) tied the record for most wins in a regular season. They lost in the first round of the playoffs and were forgotten about shortly thereafter.
Psh, that's the first round in the chamber when I fire back a salvo against "lolololololol 1995!"

eznark said:
They are old, on the offensive line and at linebacker. I could see them missing the playoffs. Christ, it's the NFL, next season they might only win 5 games.

Everyone on their O-line is 30 or younger, besides Stephen Neal who's 32.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Fowler said:
Oh I'm not saying that THEY want to be remembered as the ultimate chokers, I'm saying it makes them more memorable for the rest of us. A team that went 18-0, broke a slew of offensive records, and was basically THIRTY FIVE SECONDS away from perfection. Unreal story.

Plus, every time a team makes a run at 16-0, they will always be mentioned as the team that did it... but then lost it all. The ultimate cautionary tale.

Oh ok, I get ya now

That is true, them winning the game would have been pretty momentous but only true Patriots fans could get anything from it. Now seeing a team that nearly all America despises crash and burn, definitely the more entertaining outcome.

I have to give it to the Pats though, they provided entertainment throughout the season. I loved seeing them bulldoze through other peoples teams but that shit got serious when they went up against the Giants :lol

MiamiWesker said:
They are saying this SB may be the most watched SB of all time and maybe the second most watched TV program in US history. Not surprised, I knew this game would shatter records.

And I remember people saying this would be a boring Super Bowl in the Playoff thread :D

TheDuce22

Banned
I was just looking at the Giants schedule/scores this year in the newspaper. Its amazing how thin the line is between winning the superbowl and missing the playoffs.

TheDuce22 said:
I was just looking at the Giants schedule/scores this year in the newspaper. Its amazing how thin the line is between winning the superbowl and missing the playoffs.

Yes. They were down 14-0 in Buffalo, and if they would have lost that game their playoff lives would have been in serious jeopardy. It's really amazing when you think about it.

Wellington said:
I didn't realize I was such a brash Giants fan. I came to work and everyone's congratulating me. I'll take it but I had nothing to do with it, just a lot of faith. :D

Thanks also to those that sent me PMs, the kind words are appreciated.

So far I have bought three local papers, the Post, the Daily News, and the Newsday. I am going to from each of the covers, could be another 17 years for a championship!

BTW if anyone has a chance read this topic from about post 2450 on to 2600. Hilarious. :lol

I for one cannot wait to hear Chris "Maddog" Russo on WFAN who picked the Pats 49-7.

Also:

tyree3.jpg

09000d5d8067e325_gallery_600.jpg

:D

The catch that saved NY. Also the way Eli scrambled out of that tackle was awesome. I'm happy NY pulled it off.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fowler said:
Giants were seeded fifth, Redskins sixth. Just so you know.

The other teams that went 18-1 lost a game in the regular season. I expect people to remember the Patriots's 16-0, although mostly as background for the Giants win. People DO remember both teams in upsets!

Everybody knows it was the Yankees who lost 4 games after winning 3. Everybody knows it was USC that Texas beat, and many know that Boise State played Oklahoma.

LOL at those trying to somehow justify the Pats' season because they were undefeated in the regular season.

Being unable to win the big one after all this undefeated nonsense has be one of the biggest chokes in the history of professional football.

Gigglepoo

I'm just glad I don't have to hear "Brady is the best quarterback EVER!!!!" anymore.

Though now Joe has new company from an unexpected place: Eli Manning. They only two quarterbacks to have to lead their team to a last second TD to win the fucking Super Bowl. Anyone can get a FG, but you have to be incredibly clutch to do with Joe and Eli pulled off.

Did anyone read the Gallo column on Page 2 about the 5 stages of grief Boston fans are going through? It's a decent article but I found the "bargaining" part pretty funny:

OK, look … there's got to be a way to make this right. What do you want us to do?

Do you want us to admit that we cheated to win those other three Super Bowls? Fine. We cheated. Asterisk those babies up. We admit it. Just please -- please, please, please, PLEASE! -- don't take away our perfect season. We'll trade those other three titles for 19-0. Just let us play the game over. Come on. Be fair. That's a good deal.

I can't even believe I'm saying this, but do you want me to admit that Tom Brady is overrated? I will. I'll say it. I'll say it if you'll let the Patriots play the game over. Do you see how far you're making me go? How much I want this? I am willing to speak a negative word about the most beautiful and perfect man ever made. I'll admit that he stunk in that playoff game against the Broncos two years ago. And that he blew our chances last year against the Colts by throwing that interception in the fourth quarter. And that he was a big zero in the Super Bowl against the Giants. He's been folding under pressure in big games for three years in a row. He's like a Manning, but with a better jaw line and two fewer Super Bowls since 2004.

:lol :lol

could it be called the play seen around the world?

and by world I mean US

The pats will be known for their undefeated regular season and ridiculous overall record
18-1

Gigglepoo

Hitokage said:
Why bother with an asterisk. They lost. The "-1" is better.

They cheated and still loss. It's even more humiliating. It's like holding an ace up your sleeve to get Four of a Kind but still losing to a Royal Flush.

Gigglepoo said:
I'm just glad I don't have to hear "Brady is the best quarterback EVER!!!!" anymore.

Though now Joe has new company from an unexpected place: Eli Manning. They only two quarterbacks to have to lead their team to a last second TD to win the fucking Super Bowl. Anyone can get a FG, but you have to be incredibly clutch to do with Joe and Eli pulled off.
Brady still made a huge drive near the end of the 4th quarter. Not his fault his defense couldn't make 1 stop and someone made a ridiculous catch.

Gigglepoo

Shalashaska said:
Brady still made a huge drive near the end of the 4th quarter. Not his fault his defense couldn't make 1 stop and someone made a ridiculous catch.

Yeah, that was great. It's why I said "Last second." An 8 minute drive in the Super Bowl is incredible, but a 2:42 drive? With the title on the line? And no time left? Jaw-dropping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom