• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
New patch out (no dev update this week) for beta:

EDIT - servers are due to be down for a little while longer until approximately 2PM.

The servers will be down for approximately two hours from 12:00PM (midday) BST, to allow us to update to Powerplay Beta 8.

Here's a list of the changes:

- Fixed a crash with trade vouchers, this change should fix a similar crash with bounty vouchers
- Avoid crashing if we try to open the system map before the system request has completed
- Don't crash if the missions file we've loaded hasn't got an archetype specified
- Fix maths error when entering station services
- Players without at least a rank 2 in any of the elite ranks are not allowed to pledge
- Added correct Military Rank Mission target to player events and Supercruise
- Fix missing Diamondback Explorer loading screen model
- Enable new newsfeed
- Added images for news items
- Lowered the percentage chance of power ships choosing to interdict
- Upped the value of total global bounty needed to make Bounty Hunters attack after a KW scan
- Drastically upped the total global bounty needed to cause a hitman to stalk the player

- AFM can now repair the tiny hardpoint shield booster
- Reduce chance of pirates/bounty hunters interdicting the player in anarchy systems when the player is low ranked
- Various fixes to get founder decal working
- When searching for a partial name match in the galaxy, sort the results before retuning
- Blacklisted systems are now hidden in the galaxy map power view
- Items shown for livery slots should always be sorted alphabetically in outfitting

And the serverside changes:

- Completing trade missions will advance trade rank
- Modules sell for the full price paid for them

- Fix for rearming repair modules

I didn't know a hitman would go after you if your bounty is high enough.

In-ship newsfeed:

Gbta7y1.jpg

dsk1210

So they came through with the steam keys?

I seen somebody mention it earlier. Not played Elite in a while. How do I go about receiving my steam key?

Thanks in advance.

Just let me increase the HUD size please :( With even more hud heavy things it's not that good in DK2 :( ;)

According to what I've read so far, the DB Scout is a hair under $500K, however the DB Explorer clocks in at $1.7 million. So more than a Cobra but much less than an Asp. That large hardpoint is awesome, but the Explorer is not anywhere near as agile or fast as the Scout, in fact it's less agile than an Asp, so it is sluggish. It probably wouldn't make for a very good combat ship due to that. No, the Explorer's purpose is mainly exploration, it's got jump range and a 32T fuel tank, so it's built to travel.
I've heard about the drastical price difference between the two models yesterday after posting here too.

It's a better in-between-ship for my girlfriend until she can buy a Vulture like I have :) She sure will be happy about it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm curious as to why you think that it's any better than a bog standard dual analog for this game.

More buttons, including inputs on the grips. It'll make six-DOF maneuvering a lot easier being able to directly map all the directions. Also:

No deadzone and more precise input.

The deadzone on my xbox controller is really holding back my fixed weapon accuracy.

Try an Xbox One or PS4 controller instead in the mean time. PS4 has the trackpad which allows for mouse input and other interesting stuff, but it requires some third party software.

Zalusithix

No deadzone and more precise input.

The deadzone on my xbox controller is really holding back my fixed weapon accuracy.

The touch pads wont have dead zones, but they're not self centering devices either. I just have trouble picturing using them in game. Coming from a HOTAS + TrackIR setup, analog sticks just seem more intuitive to me.

More buttons, including inputs on the grips. It'll make six-DOF maneuvering a lot easier being able to directly map all the directions.
I suppose it is true that the pads combined with the stick on the Steam controller will give the requisite number of analog axes where a traditional controller comes up short. Manipulating them all simultaneously won't be possible, but it's better than nothing. I'm guessing you plan on using the grip buttons to shift the functions of the other buttons? I'm used to having 23 buttons on my stick alone... A controller would require a significant amount of overloading of the buttons with multiple functions in a game like this.

HelloMeow

More buttons, including inputs on the grips. It'll make six-DOF maneuvering a lot easier being able to directly map all the directions. Also:

Try an Xbox One or PS4 controller instead in the mean time. PS4 has the trackpad which allows for mouse input and other interesting stuff, but it requires some third party software.

Don't most if not all analog sticks have a deadzone? You can map all thrust and rotation directly to an xbox controller actually.

3 axes for rotation

1 axis for thrust direction 1
2 thumb sticks click for thrust direction 2
2 bumpers for thrust direction 3

The touch pads wont have dead zones, but they're not self centering devices either. I just have trouble picturing using them in game. Coming from a HOTAS + TrackIR setup, analog sticks just seem more intuitive to me.

If it's treated as mouse input the game can auto center it at a configurable speed. The steam controller will probably have the option to use the pads in different ways, including something that resembles an analog stick.

Raticus79

The touch pads wont have dead zones, but they're not self centering devices either.

Apparently they address this using haptic feedback on the touch pads.

Don't most if not all analog sticks have a deadzone?

Sure, but there are differences. Check this thread out:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021201
I just compared my 360 controller to the PS4 one. The 360 would rest anywhere from 0.05-0.10 off centre depending on the direction I pushed last on each stick, so it needs a bigger dead zone (even if technically it's getting a reading). The PS4 one came to rest within about 0.1-0.2.

Flight sticks are much better in this regard of course.

You can map all thrust and rotation directly to an xbox controller actually.

Sort of - thumbstick clicks don't play well with trying to do precise axis inputs on those sticks at the same time.

If it's treated as mouse input the game can auto center it at a configurable speed. The steam controller will probably have the option to use the pads in different ways, including something that resembles an analog stick.

There are some really unique input concepts for the steam controller. It can simulate a trackball with momentum where you flick it and it keeps going, slowing down on its own eventually (rather than repeatedly dragging like a laptop trackpad), and then once that mouse/camera has scrolled over to where you need it to be, you can put your thumb back on it to immediately stop it and get direct control.

Wreav

Banned
Man, those patch notes. Anyone have a bullet point list of new features from 1.2? Haven't been keeping up with the beta.

Unrelated to Powerplay, one of the concept artists posted another idea:

tumblr_nph4bhEIu71qgwyfro4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nph4bhEIu71qgwyfro3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nph4bhEIu71qgwyfro2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nph4bhEIu71qgwyfro1_1280.jpg

From bottom to top, design of a Solar forge, proposed hard sci fi module for modular stations in elite dangerous.

EDIT: Newsletter is out--tactical paints are available this weekend.

There's also a new community site for ED: https://community.elitedangerous.com

Hello Commanders, and welcome to the beta phase of the Elite: Dangerous community site.

This is the community site’s maiden voyage. What you see now is just a snapshot of what the site will become. We want to build this site with the community in mind, taking into account your wants and needs. For that reason we've opened the site in beta so you can help us create the perfect community hub.

As the site grows you’ll find guest blogs, regularly updated Comms Chatter, videos and Commander creations, developer blogs, features about aspects of game development, interviews with the developers, exclusive video content, events coverage, ambassador talks, livestreams and much more.

We’re building a dedicated Community Goals section with a list of all active Community Goals and a summary of all completed goals, and the clever coding folk are working on ‘Join My Wing’ functionality which will help you team up with likeminded Commanders from around the world. There’s much more in the pipeline, and we’ll keep you up to date with our plans and let you know when new ideas are being implemented.

This site is designed to serve the Elite: Dangerous community, and we think it should be populated with content created by the community. If you have suggestions for videos, images, news stories, blog posts or even entirely new features for the community site, then we’d love to read about them.

Send your ideas to community@frontier.co.uk. If you feel like your site, livestream or ambassador page is missing from the content that’s already there, then get in touch and we’ll add it to the list.

We’ll need your help to make the Community site the welcoming, informative, interesting and entertaining place it should be. This is a celebration of the Elite: Dangerous community and we’re looking forward to building the site with you.

Ed

Is there a list somewhere of what the powers actually stand for? Atm I have no idea who to pledge to or why. I've been federation since the start but that was more or less a default choice. Main style is combat/res farming really with a little trade in for good measure (though that's more for community goals then any real desire). Not really interested in Mining or exploration.

Raticus79

The drones are an interesting addition. I wonder if mining with an Anaconda might actually be worthwhile now.

I wish they had another Alliance power. Edmund's rather boring.

Is there a list somewhere of what the powers actually stand for? Atm I have no idea who to pledge to or why. I've been federation since the start but that was more or less a default choice. Main style is combat/res farming really with a little trade in for good measure (though that's more for community goals then any real desire). Not really interested in Mining or exploration.

Ethos of each Power: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/37x36x/power_primer_the_who_is_who_of_13/
Policies and bonuses: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...wer_control_effects_the_policies_and_bonuses/

Raticus79

This thread has a summary via screenshots:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150199
Edit: not that great, actually.

I bet Archon Delaine will be really popular. From everything I've seen in attempts people have had to organize things, the majority of players want to be part of the faction that opposes whatever's going on.

Edit: Server's up. Wow, there's a lot of information to absorb here.

Shield sale at 78 Ursae Majoris. Going to go check that out.

Zalusithix

This thread has a summary via screenshots:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150199

Edit: not that great, actually.

I bet Archon Delaine will be really popular. From everything I've seen in attempts people have had to organize things, the majority of players want to be part of the faction that opposes whatever's going on.

There's a fair number of traders in Elite though. There should also be more miners with the new patch. Generally speaking, lower security is probably the least favorable thing for them. I'd expect those people to fight against Delaine's expansion with vigor.

That said, I can't make up my mind between Aisling and Arissa. The shield is more useful to me as a trader, and the increased production, demand, and payout of higher priced goods is great. On the other hand, it's kind of hard to reconcile the fact that she's against slavery while I've amassed millions by trading imperial slaves.

You can look at them and all that information in game in the left cockpit menu.

Shield sale at 78 Ursae Majoris. Going to go check that out.

that sale has been going on for almost 2 weeks. get there and get your shield discounts ASAP.

shield discount applies to all Shield Generators, Shield Boosters, and Shield Cell Banks.

If I had storage for an A7 shield generator, I'd surely buy one and put it on mothballs until the day I'd need one for an Anaconda or Federal Frigate.

Zalusithix

You can look at them and all that information in game in the left cockpit menu.

that sale has been going on for almost 2 weeks. get there and get your shield discounts ASAP.

shield discount applies to all Shield Generators, Shield Boosters, and Shield Cell Banks.

If I had storage for an A7 shield generator, I'd surely buy one and put it on mothballs until the day I'd need one for an Anaconda or Federal Frigate.
I'm guessing you're just making an assumption there with the Federal Corvette internal bay sizes.

Agremont

Man, the servers must be getting hammered. I'm trying to scan planets and all I get is "data corrupted".

Also, I take it that the in ship newsfeed is only available in populated systems?

la_briola

When I start via steam (after preparing the shaders) it tells me that "no internet connection was found" or something along these lines. :lol

Raticus79

Oops! Thought it was new since it was next to the other Power-related news and had Edmund's icon on it.

I was confused at first since the prices were the same... it's only at Townshend Hub apparently.

As expected the servers are taking a shit right now. Might want to hold off a few hours before trying to play.

Yup, I keep getting a message saying the login server's down. Edit: back in now.

Reading up on the new mining in the mean time. It seems like it could be pretty fun.

I'm guessing you're just making an assumption there with the Federal Corvette internal bay sizes.

It's supposed to be a competitor/alternative to the Anaconda. I'd be surprised if it didn't.

And yea Rat, Townsend hub only. You're going to have to sell your shields at the nearby port. Berners-Lee City, I believe it is. Otherwise, it'll try to sell you your shields back at the same price (buy back).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom