• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had a chance to play in sometime now just due to other games coming out. I have one big question about the patch, have they addressed the stuttering when approaching a planet for the first time in supercruise? There was some talk about it coming with 1.3.

Shifty76

Okay, I need to pick one. With the new update, if I'm a combat ship, would it still be worth sacrificing my cargo rack for an interdictor? Secondly, do I gain any advantages by having a higher class interdictor?

Yes and yes. The A4 interdictor on my FDL can knock targets out of SC from something like 700 LS range whereas smaller ones you need to be far closer.

Sarcasm

I am finally going to play this again! Launch..my control scheme is default.

That is okay..I will go download it again. Thread doesn't exist anymore.

Anybody got a good KBM setup?

Also can I do this powerplay being a poor noob? I only have hauler and 247K CR.

I was specifically using the scheme from

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532 titled [COMMUNITY] Custom setups for T.Flight Hotas X, Xbox 360 and Keyboard+Mouse (Reference sheets)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Powerplay seems pretty shit tastic to so far.

I joined the T-1000 faction cause it was supposed to be a combat focused faction and the reward tiers offer bonuses to bounty rewards. So I join up and 2 of the 3 activities that give merits are trade missions?

What?

So I pick the combat option, go to the system where I'm supposed to join his side in some conflict zones and get combat bonds, only there are no conflict zones in the system. Go to the other 2 possible systems same thing, no conflict zones.

Bleh.

EDIT: Finally found a military strike. No cash for shooting down enemies and turning in vouchers nets you a *whopping* 1000cr a piece. LOL.

frontieruk

I am finally going to play this again! Launch..my control scheme is default.

That is okay..I will go download it again. Thread doesn't exist anymore.

Anybody got a good KBM setup?

Also can I do this powerplay being a poor noob? I only have hauler and 247K CR.

I was specifically using the scheme from

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532 titled [COMMUNITY] Custom setups for T.Flight Hotas X, Xbox 360 and Keyboard+Mouse (Reference sheets)

Google is your friend think this is what you were looking for BTW nice thread on the frontier forums ;)

Sarcasm

Ah snap and I just found the ref sheet too haha!

Also some weird..glitches I noticed (not in the control scheme bu tin general):

1) Alt tabbing out works fine but tab back in and it can't focus to front anymore. Controls dont' work. Onyl way to fix it is to kill process

2) My middle mouse scroll works for accelerating, while decelerating doesn't work. So basically scroll up works, scroll down doesn't. It is set up like this in the controls first of all.

So.

I don't understand what the fuck is going on with PowerPlay. Menus are so convoluted I can't really make heads or tails of what is going on.

So I decided to just try different weapon configurations for my new Courier. Work In Progress. Much like the Clipper, the spacing between the wing hard points means you can't really run it as a fixed weapons boat. Bottom weapon is great for something fixed, but the wings need to be gimbaled imo.

Double gimbaled C2 bursts was cool, but not sure how I feel about the uptime. Didn't time it, but it felt like ~10 seconds tops. Double beam is too much power as usual. Double pulse felt fine but that's just the most boring configuration ever.

Will probably end up with 2x Burst or Pulse + multicannon. Right now sitting in dock with 1x Burst + 1x Pulse + 1x Plasma Accelerator. idk.

Oh, and ranked all the way up to Duke. Didn't even know ranks for Empire went higher than Earl.

DrBo42

Yeah can't say the powerplay struggle for territory interests me at all. Maybe because it's locked away behind terrible menus. Does completing these steps get you actual missions? The whole thing is so poorly communicated.

Lagamorph

So what are the advantages/disadvantages of pledging myself to a galactic power?
Will I make myself a target for opposing factions and be attacked on sight?
Can I change my allegiance later on?

DrBo42

So what are the advantages/disadvantages of pledging myself to a galactic power?
Will I make myself a target for opposing factions and be attacked on sight?
Can I change my allegiance later on?

Yes and Yes to the last two. Advantages are what's listed in I think it's the pledge menu or whatever their first tab is. Exclusive modules or currency/rep bonuses.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Powerplay seems pretty shit tastic to so far.

I joined the T-1000 faction cause it was supposed to be a combat focused faction and the reward tiers offer bonuses to bounty rewards. So I join up and 2 of the 3 activities that give merits are trade missions?

What?

So I pick the combat option, go to the system where I'm supposed to join his side in some conflict zones and get combat bonds, only there are no conflict zones in the system. Go to the other 2 possible systems same thing, no conflict zones.

Bleh.

EDIT: Finally found a military strike. No cash for shooting down enemies and turning in vouchers nets you a *whopping* 1000cr a piece. LOL.

That, sounds very low to me. Why would anyone fight for a power side when simply hunting at nav beacons or RES sites is so much more lucrative? Maybe they figure the ranking up is worth more than the credits? o_O

I didn't get to play at all last night, had a date night with the gf instead. We all have our duties to perform.....

DrBo42

That, sounds very low to me. Why would anyone fight for a power side when simply hunting at nav beacons or RES sites is so much more lucrative? Maybe they figure the ranking up is worth more than the credits? o_O

I didn't get to play at all last night, had a date night with the gf instead. We all have our duties to perform.....

Heard somewhere if you earn 10k merits in a week you get 50 million the following week. Can't back that up with any written source.

Danj

Okay so I've been away from this game for a couple of months now (someone bought me Witcher 3 for my birthday) is there a quick way for me to get up to speed with what's going on?

If I have a cobra, a Type 6 and 1.7 million credits, what's the best way forward for me? Still trading, or are there fighting missions that are viable (and cost effective) in a cobra? If it's trading, is rare trading still the only way to make sensible amounts of money in sensible amounts of time, or does the new update add some better/more interesting ways?

DrBo42

Okay so I've been away from this game for a couple of months now (someone bought me Witcher 3 for my birthday) is there a quick way for me to get up to speed with what's going on?

If I have a cobra, a Type 6 and 1.7 million credits, what's the best way forward for me? Still trading, or are there fighting missions that are viable (and cost effective) in a cobra? If it's trading, is rare trading still the only way to make sensible amounts of money in sensible amounts of time, or does the new update add some better/more interesting ways?

You can do mining and use the new limpet drones to quickly collect the ore or partake in High Intensity Resource Extraction Site bounty hunting. Missions finally scale with rank now so you can get better and more lucrative missions based on your playing style. The powerplay system's tasks are still kinda unknown in terms of payout.

Can I add that killing an anaconda or a viper is also worth the same reward ?

Why would they do that? They fixed that mistake in combat zones a long time ago, where every ship used to reward you 3000cr, Eagles or Anacondas. Weird that they would go that way again. It just encourages everyone to ignore the bigger ships.

Mengy

Okay, so I logged in for a bit this morning just to browse the galaxy map and take a gander at powerplay. It's nice that we an access GalNet from anywhere now, but man I spent half an hour just browsing through the interface and trying to get a handle on all of this power play stuff.

I haven't pledged to anyone yet, gonna stay neutral for a bit while I figure it all out but it seems like pledged people earn points and nominations that allow you to help expand your factions systems? Sort of like a voting system of sorts? That's kinda cool.

My gut feeling is that Li Yong-Rul is the faction that I'd like to pledge to. Seems good for trading with the high tech goods increases, and also fits my playstyle best with the -15% on outfit costs. Think I'll wait to see if we pick a GAF power to align with though.

Wreav

Banned
Why would they do that? They fixed that mistake in combat zones a long time ago, where every ship used to reward you 3000cr, Eagles or Anacondas. Weird that they would go that way again. It just encourages everyone to ignore the bigger ships.

Haven't seen a conda yet, but killing a clipper and python in a RES got me 70k each a min ago, and a viper 20k. i wouldn't say it's broken.

Soi-Fong

Okay, so I logged in for a bit this morning just to browse the galaxy map and take a gander at powerplay. It's nice that we an access GalNet from anywhere now, but man I spent half an hour just browsing through the interface and trying to get a handle on all of this power play stuff.

I haven't pledged to anyone yet, gonna stay neutral for a bit while I figure it all out but it seems like pledged people earn points and nominations that allow you to help expand your factions systems? Sort of like a voting system of sorts? That's kinda cool.

My gut feeling is that Li Yong-Rul is the faction that I'd like to pledge to. Seems good for trading with the high tech goods increases, and also fits my playstyle best with the -15% on outfit costs. Think I'll wait to see if we pick a GAF power to align with though.

I'm still confused on how powerplay works, but slowly getting to understand it.

I really want to align with that blue-haired chick, but heard her bonuses aren't that great.

Think I'm gonna have to play in the monitor for a bit to see how this Powerplay thing works... Damn, I'm so use to playing in the Oculus now. haha

Edit: Anyone here have an opinion on whether the Cobra or the Viper is better at RES Bounty Hunting. I feel like I like the Cobra more. Also, when I was in the Viper, I accidentally shot a federal ship with my gimballed lasers. Man, those things just jump all over the place.

In my Cobra, I guess I like the fixed lasers more.

You can leave or defect your original choice but there are consequences for that if you decide to go that route. Similarly if you are not happy with your new choice there's nothing stopping you from leaving them. There is a cool down period of about 7 day's before you can move though.

So taking a break of Witcher 3 today to check out PP and I'm really liking it so far.

What is the consensus on the Diamondbacks? Is the Explorer variant the best exploration-based ship now after the Asp?

I don't have any exploration-specific ships, just combat so wanting to buy and fit one to do some exploration.

elyetis

Haven't seen a conda yet, but killing a clipper and python in a RES got me 70k each a min ago, and a viper 20k. i wouldn't say it's broken.
I'm not speaking of the bounty, but the power play side of the game. On the combat objectives I have to expand, each ship killed is worth 1 point, eagle, viper, anaconda etc..

kvk1

Absolutely loving Powerplay at the moment.

It's everything I wanted from this game.

uAThK5m.jpg

I serve at the pleasure of the President.

How do you access Galnet? I googled saw link and page doesn't load...

If you access the left window where you see nearby systems/planets, at the bottom left where you can access galaxy map and system map there is a third now called "Galaxy Powers" I believe, it takes you to a new menu and in there is the galaxy-wide galnet.

squadr0n

How is the new Power Play update? Is it good enough for someone that didnt buy at launch because I was waiting for more things to do? Also does it and any kind of story to the game?

Does this game have a chance at being discounted for the steam summer sale?

Can someone tell me if I'm reading this correctly? From what I see, this is a poor location for Aisling to attempt to expand to. Not only has it received significantly more player support for Torval (nearly 3x), but it's also only providing 50 CC per cycle due to only average value star systems within its leaching range, which is extremely low. In fact, it's roughly half the potential income from the other top 10 prospects.

Is that correct? Why would this spot have even become a top 10 spot? Why would people have put a lot of resources here? Or am I misunderstanding what I'm reading?

elyetis

Spent pretty much 3 hours trying to get a decent RES, with no success, it's close to killing my will to play. I really don't know if I'm just very very unlucky or if the 1.3 badly nerfed the chances of getting good spawn in RES.
Can someone tell me if I'm reading this correctly? From what I see, this is a poor location for Aisling to attempt to expand to. Not only has it received significantly more player support for Torval (nearly 3x), but it's also only providing 50 CC per cycle due to only average value star systems within its leaching range, which is extremely low. In fact, it's roughly half the potential income from the other top 10 prospects.

Is that correct? Why would this spot have even become a top 10 spot? Why would people have put a lot of resources here? Or am I misunderstanding what I'm reading?
Seems like it ( in my faction a -23 potential income is in the top 10... ). Thought they maybe expand there for other reasons ( good RES spot, or good shipward, etc )

Spent pretty much 3 hours trying to get a decent RES, with no success, it's close to killing my will to play. I really don't know if I'm just very very unlucky or if the 1.3 badly nerfed the chances of getting good spawn in RES.

Go do Conflict Zones for now. Ships have been doubled in value. Also, where are you? Are you leaving and coming back in for better instances? Or restarting?

Agremont

Spent the last 10 or so hours traveling to a neutron star I found, only to find out I can't reach it. Oh well, I managed to find a black hole nearby that I could reach, so it wasn't a total waste.

Edit: Actually managed to get to the neutron star eventually. Mission completed.

Lagamorph

Spent the last 10 or so hours traveling to a neutron star I found, only to find out I can't reach it. Oh well, I managed to find a black hole nearby that I could reach, so it wasn't a total waste.

Edit: Actually managed to get to the neutron star eventually. Mission completed.

Where is that?!

elyetis

Go do Conflict Zones for now. Ships have been doubled in value.
Oh didn't know that, I'll give it a try. Thought from what I remember grinding there for community goal, even a x2 reward there is far from the result we had in really good RES, let alone with the now better AI and modules they now use. Any easy way to find a system with conflict zone ? those in anarchy maybe ?
Are you leaving and coming back in for better instances? Or restarting?
I really tried everything, 20+ reset, 10+ leaving and going back after taking at least 10km distance from the RES, going in other systems to try other RES.

1.3 isn't starting really well with me.

Sarcasm

If you access the left window where you see nearby systems/planets, at the bottom left where you can access galaxy map and system map there is a third now called "Galaxy Powers" I believe, it takes you to a new menu and in there is the galaxy-wide galnet.

Oh the way he talked about it was you can browse this stuff not in game, like in your browser.

Zalusithix

I have to wonder how the power play update made it out of beta so quickly. Isn't beta where they're supposed to quash bugs? Plenty of bulletin board missions are blank minor faction errors. Others are basically template shells without the requisite info plugged in. The powers menu doesn't have the correct details of what half the powers are supposed to do when controlling/exploiting. Even going by the screen shots from the beta where that info was available, the effects don't seem to be implemented. Controlled/exploited systems by Aisling don't have imperial slaves as prohibited for instance.

Why release it in the bugged state? Hell, what was the point in even beta at all if you're just going to push it broken to live?

Soi-Fong

Oh didn't know that, I'll give it a try. Thought from what I remember grinding there for community goal, even a x2 reward there is far from the result we had in really good RES, let alone with the now better AI and modules they now use. Any easy way to find a system with conflict zone ? those in anarchy maybe ?
I really tried everything, 20+ reset, 10+ leaving and going back after taking at least 10km distance from the RES, going in other systems to try other RES.

1.3 isn't starting really well with me.

The few instances I've played in RES today, Pythons have been my best kills. One got me a 142k. But I haven't seen any Condas or anything like that. Just Clippers and Pythons.

I feel like 1.3 lessened the amounts of wanted ships in RES, but it might just be me.

Powerplay is kinda useless for me right now since I'm still playing in the Oculus. Galaxy map is hard to use. Haha... I really can't go back to playing on the monitor... *_*

Anyway, today was fun. I over-committed a bit too much in a RES zone and my canopy got breached. I made it to a small station and landed to go in with literally 5 seconds to spare... First time that's happened and goddamn it was something else in the Oculus. Sure did get the adrenaline pumping.

I have to wonder how the power play update made it out of beta so quickly. Isn't beta where they're supposed to quash bugs? Plenty of bulletin board missions are blank minor faction errors. Others are basically template shells without the requisite info plugged in. The powers menu doesn't have the correct details of what half the powers are supposed to do when controlling/exploiting. Even going by the screen shots from the beta where that info was available, the effects don't seem to be implemented. Controlled/exploited systems by Aisling don't have imperial slaves as prohibited for instance.

Why release it in the bugged state? Hell, what was the point in even beta at all if you're just going to push it broken to live?

So, it wasn't just me seeing those bugged missions in the bulletin board. lol

Mengy

So I've noticed that a lot of sounds got updated for 1.3, not least of all is the sounds of the Asp. Unbelievably it sounds even better now than it did before!

So I bought myself a Diamondback Explorer tonight and messed around with it a bit. Definitely a cool looking ship, but not very spritely.

Haven't upgraded it fully yet but enough to test her out at a nav beacon killing criminals, and it does allright even with it turning like a pig in mud. I put gimballed pulse lasers in all three spots and it seems capable of handling most anything except for the big ships with really good AI pilots in them. Had to run from an Elite Clipper that was just messing me up. If I had the DBE fully upgraded though I might have been able to handle it.

I'm also wondering if putting turrets in all three hardpoints might do well? Since it turns so crappy, weapons that do the turning for it just might be great, especially with the fantastic attack angles the hardpoints have.

For now I'm gonna store the DBE until I can afford to refit it out fully, I'll stick with the Asp for now and head out exploring some more to earn some dough.

Repo Man

I'm gonna have to put my hands up and confess... I've no idea how this powerplay shizzle works lol.

I've pledged to some lady who wants me to collect corruption reports, quick googling seems to suggest that I have to visit a system that is controlled by the power I've pledged to and I can buy these reports from there. Now the issue is that I appear to be 33 jumps away from my factions controlled area of space ( eeeeeeeeeeeek!!! ). Should I just get on with my star trek to them ?

The problem with power play is that people choose the easiest (ie. closest) missions to get the merits.
These are usually terrible targets for the strategic space-risk game, but the good targets are many jumps away and give the same merit rewards as the useless missions.

DrBo42

The problem with power play is that people choose the easiest (ie. closest) missions to get the merits.
These are usually terrible targets for the strategic space-risk game, but the good targets are many jumps away and give the same merit rewards as the useless missions.

Yep.

Soi-Fong

So, anyone doing any significant mining to see if it's actually viable now to earn significant credits?

I've been thinking of mining as a secondary job to bounty hunting.

I'm gonna have to put my hands up and confess... I've no idea how this powerplay shizzle works lol.

I've pledged to some lady who wants me to collect corruption reports, quick googling seems to suggest that I have to visit a system that is controlled by the power I've pledged to and I can buy these reports from there. Now the issue is that I appear to be 33 jumps away from my factions controlled area of space ( eeeeeeeeeeeek!!! ). Should I just get on with my star trek to them ?

33 jumps shouldn't be that long really. Just make sure that you have a decent fuel scoop in case there are no stations en route to refuel at. I did 20 jumps in a cobra last night that took about an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom