• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem draws the red line in Hip-Hop Awards cypher

Not

Banned
Em has Trump legit shook. He would have replied years ago if it was somebody else.

Ohhhh yeah. It's the race factor. Trump would've had no problem opening his dumb saggy mouth if a black rapper had gone to town on him.

So unbelievably transparently racist. Real Racist-American representation in the White House right now

The Ummah

Banned
Trump is going to take this opportunity to bypass Eminem and attempt to shit on Detroit.

He has writers working on tweets now, great writers. The best writers.

I think Eminem just reverse milkshake duck'd a bunch of people.
Ehh....one good freestyle doesn’t undue stagnation, and frequent homophobic lyrics. Tyler the Creator has shown more growth as an artist from his first album to his last than Em has in half the time.

Imm0rt4l

The internet over the last 24 hours -

DL4HniZWAAAQq7c.jpg
LMFAO

I do not think it is an impersonation, it is pieces of different audio clips edited together.
No, JL Caulvins Trump impression is just that good. Watch his videos and see.

jmizzal

?!

Are you trying to say that it was improvised? No way in hell.

He obviously thought about subjects he wanted to hit, but this wasnt something he had writing out otherwise he would have flowed straight through, you tell by him stopping and starting

You really think Em cant come off with that stuff off the dome come on now, dude is a freestyle legend

He obviously thought about subjects he wanted to hit, but this wasnt something he had writing out otherwise he would have flowed straight through, you tell by him stopping and starting

Nah. The starting and stopping style of flow is something popularized by live rap battles, which are also acappella. Those aren't freestyled either.

Almost no one actually improv freestyles anymore. It's no longer important to most fans. They prefer to hear clever bars rather than people stumbling over and repeating their words as they try to improvise.

The Ummah

Banned

I thought of it as him putting more emphasis on the message he presented. It's not the typical Em flow, more akin to battle rappers who use the stop/start flow as a tool.

He was also a battle rapper, so it makes sense.

jmizzal

Nah. The starting and stopping style of flow is something popularized by live rap battles, which are also acappella. Those aren't freestyled either.

Almost no one actually improv freestyles anymore. It's no longer important to most fans. They prefer to hear clever bars rather than people stumbling over and repeating their words as they try to improvise.

So yall saying em cant freestyle off the dome anymore?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

You really think Em cant come off with that stuff off the dome come on now, dude is a freestyle legend

It was most certainly written, or had parts of it written. There's just no way the fantastic 4 joke could have been improvised on the spot. The pauses were just so idiots could keep up with him.

No. We're telling you this wasn't freestyle in that manner. Em doesn't even freestyle in that manner. His style of freestyle is always more about tons of multi-syllables and twisted imagery than actual punchlines.

On top of that, when BET films these cyphers, they tend to do multiple takes with various camera angles so they can edit it in more interesting ways.

For example.. this is the Shady Digital Cypher filmed the same day that actually has two of Boogie's takes shown side by side.

The Kree

Banned

It's not about what he can or can't do. We can tell what's prewritten and what's improvised. This was clearly prewritten. That it was slowed down and broken up is irrelevant, that's just a just a format change.

Jag

Ohhhh yeah. It's the race factor. Trump would've had no problem opening his dumb saggy mouth if a black rapper had gone to town on him.

So unbelievably transparently racist. Real Racist-American representation in the White House right now

During the election a (very) small part of me thought maybe he was playing to the racist base for votes. Turns out being racist was one of the few things about him that was real.

theWB27

During the election a (very) small part of me thought maybe he was playing to the racist base for votes. Turns out being racist was one of the few things about him that was real.

His history could've told you that though.

There's audio and video of Em freestyling. Like forreal forreal off the top freestyling. This is not that. Not even close.

Plus people haven't cared about that in decades. Actual spontaneous freestyling is cool, but very few rappers have the talent to pull that off. Most every "freestyle" you've heard in your life is a memorized verse.

The Kree

Banned
There's audio and video of Em freestyling. Like forreal forreal off the top freestyling. This is not that. Not even close.

Plus people haven't cared about that in decades. Actual spontaneous freestyling is cool, but very few rappers have the talent to pull that off. Most every "freestyle" you've heard in your life is a memorized verse.

It's also worth pointing out that written freestyling came first, then improvised freestyling came into fashion later, but writtens never actually stopped being a thing. Both kinds always served the same function - wowing the cypher with clever one-off lines in a verse with decentralized topics.

You could technically argue this doesn't strictly count as a freestyle since it actually has a central topic, but it also does count because of the wow factor in the context of a cypher.

norm9

It's also worth pointing out that written freestyling came first, then improvised freestyling came into fashion later, but writtens never actually stopped being a thing. Both kinds always served the same function - wowing the cypher with clever one-off lines in a verse with decentralized topics.

You could technically argue this doesn't strictly count as a freestyle since it actually has a central topic, but it also does count because of the wow factor in the context of a cypher.

My only problem is calling prewritten a freestyle. Yeah, you can go to your goto line you already crafted, but I've always been more of a fan of the top of the dome.

I think it was an old 106 and Park(?) episode where Wu Tang was freestyling and Ghostface straight up pulls out his notebook to recite his rhymes. Which is fine, but not what I was expecting. Pulled the curtains open for me.

I think there's a lot of young Trump supporters who really don't understand anti-establishment.

Stick with conservative country and western music guys.

Realeza

Banned
What's the correlation between a celebrity gaining twitter followers and alt-right people?

Common sense would dictate losing a great deal of followers for going against something so mighty to such fanbase, not the complete opposite lmao.

I've been playing 2pac's Letter 2 the President for the last 15min. So according to Keith Obermann, Eminem must have traveled back in time and gave 2Pac the idea to criticize the president in a song?

I've been playing 2pac's Letter 2 the President for the last 15min. So according to Keith Obermann, Eminem must have traveled back in time and gave 2Pac the idea to criticize the president in a song?
did he say it was the first time a rapper criticized the president or just that he liked it?

Top Bottom