• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem draws the red line in Hip-Hop Awards cypher

CazTGG

You're telling someone in a predominately black genre of music with various collaborations under his belt, who owes his breakthrough in a large part to a founding member of N.W.A., who wrote a song to encourage voting Bush out of office, might take exception to Trump? I know some people will follow Trump off the cliff, but I can't believe anyone thought Eminem would be anything but anti-Trump.

It really shouldn't be surprising considering Eminem previously called Trump a bitch in "No Favors" earlier this year (and also Campaign Song from last year), of whom he said he would destroy their brand and explicitly told Ann Coulter to go fuck herself (That's for Bland and Philando). Say what you want about his homophobic lyrics or other problematic lyrics, Eminem has never been shy about telling racists where to stick it, Trump included.

EDIT: I just had a wonderful thought: If this gets turned into an single and charts, this will be heard everywhere in America. Racist Eminem fans will hear on a constant basis that their idol wants them to be against Trump or fuck off.

jetsetrez

Never been a big fan of Eminem, aside from appreciating how technically skilled he is and how he usually kills every artist/collab he features on, but that was great. I really loved the end, glad Kaepernick saw it. I would hope this actually makes some of the knuckledragging mouth breather Trumpers that love Em, or some of the white people who will only hear things from white people, or some of the idiots that think taking a knee is protesting the troops/unpatriotic, actually think about their beliefs and perhaps change for the better. But I'm too cynical at this point.

Mr. X

It's not too surprising to me that the only prominent white people that have come out strongly against Trump are those who are involved in industries that are majority blackline the NBA and hip hop.

Wish more people would do it but a lot of white people prefer to sit in the fence for as long as possible. It's a shame.
Check out the Oscars or whatever award show.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not sure how that's relevant here? Eminem's been to plenty of BET Hip-Hop awards and his presence has been warmly received every time

The "only white people like Eminem" narrative only goes so far here

Never said anything like that. I listened to Marshall almost religiously in the early 2000s. Just offhandedly commented on my dislike for BET as a station being held up by white elites as "the representative for black people". Didn't really think much on it besides that.

I respect what Marshall is doing here as a message, being consistent with his value system

It took a white man bashing Trump to get Keith Olbermann to say something like that? What the fuck white people. The lyrics have been far more poignant in years past if they cared to notice. I mean, Changes is still just as relevant today as the day Shakur wrote it, yet this is what gets you clapping?

Maybe its just me who's frustrated with the 2D logic i keep seeing around

Jintor

gotta say the cinematography, the cuts to the crowd in the background just nodding, the complete lack of any beat so you can just hear the raw anger in Em's voice, really powerful

Oddduck

Good stuff.

As I mentioned in another thread, Eminem has been trashing on Trump for awhile now.

On Sunday the "Stan" rapper shared his distaste for 45 before a sea of fans during his festival performance in Leeds, England. "I don't want to cause any controversy, so I won't say no names," Em started off his rant. "But, this motherf*cker Donald Trump I can't stand."

Em's denouncing of the president seems to be a recurring theme during his sets, with his latest antics coming just three days after he wore a "FACK TRUMP" T-shirt during his concert at Glasgow's Bellahouston Park in Scotland.

Earlier this month, the rapper released "No Favors," in which he aired his greviances with the president. "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando/ Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch, I'll make his whole brand go under," Em raps on the impassioned track that touches on issues like police brutality, the Flint water crisis, racism in America.

ghostjoke

Banned
It really shouldn't be surprising considering Eminem previously called Trump a bitch in "No Favors" earlier this year (and also Campaign Song from last year), of whom he said he would destroy their brand and explicitly told Ann Coulter to go fuck herself (That's for Bland and Philando). Say what you want about his homophobic lyrics or other problematic lyrics, Eminem has never been shy about telling racists where to stick it, Trump included.

EDIT: I just had a wonderful thought: If this gets turned into an single and charts, this will be heard everywhere in America. Racist Eminem fans will hear on a constant basis that their idol wants them to be against Trump or fuck off.

Even if this song doesn't get beyond social media, if there's a new album in the pipeline, I can't see a way Trump/Trumpisms won't be getting called out. Eminem has never been shy with his words and as much as Trump likes to think he's anti-establishment/counter-culture, he's the face of it for people like Eminem currently on top of everything else. For all the awful flaccid anti-Trump music that has come out over the past while, Hip Hop has been producing actually good and passionate music to go along with the message. I wonder why...

Listening to Mosh, you could easily repurpose this with a few edits.

Servbot24

Banned
I feel like it won't be insightful or interesting. It will just be the same old shit slinging we get from literally every other form of media that we are hit with literally every day the last year.

Not that it's not justified but I prefer my commentary to be a tad more insightful and I just know it won't be. Maybe a track but if it pervades the album it's kind of a shame.
Would we be missing out on any other insight he has to offer?

Stirring shit up is em's specialty when he's doing it right

Patiently waiting for Trump's clap back via twitter tomorrow morning. Em's gonna hear about his failing career.

Kid Rock is going to ghost write it for Trump

Wanted to post a Kid Rock lyric here but I legitimately don't know any of his songs. Don't want to know his songs either.

Props to Eminem. I love this.

Maybe not the place to put it, but I'm disappointed in Kanye. Dude went for a PR grab early on, and even tho Trump's done so much shit, especially to Minorities & Blacks, dude hasn't said anything.

He's also a clinically insane person. People should probably worry about him receiving proper care instead of worrying about his political alignment.

Nerokis

Wtf Keith Olbermann. He out Cliffy'd Cliffy B.

Don't much care to defend Olbermann, as I've found him to be a bit of a tool for over a decade now, but I disagree. Cliffy B said something unfathomably stupid. Olbermann seems to be coming from a place where he's never been into hip hop, but has been longing for strong anti-Trump voices (like a whole lot of us), and Eminem's powerful use of his rapping ability here reached him. I can imagine it's just a right place, right time sort of thing.

Great shit he got everybody talking

I guess the bright side of Trump it gives Em some actual content he's being lacking

I prefer content over shock value or catchy songs based on love

daveo42

Banned
That was lit. Nice to see Shady back in form after so long. I expect his new album to be hot enough to melt all those spoiled white snowflakes and leave them in a puddle of their own tears.

THere really is a Trump video/tweet for everything

https://twitter.com/ThatPersianGuy/status/917981796003909632

This is absolutely insane. I know it shouldn't, but even this video make my blood boil because he's had a platform built on the perception he was rich and "famous". Fuck Trump.

Thought I saw Westside Gunn and Conway back there.

cypherckj29.jpg

Yeah, that's Westside Gunn, Conway and Benny (left to right). Don't recognize the guy on the right.

Don't much care to defend Olbermann, as I've found him to be a bit of a tool for over a decade now, but I disagree. Cliffy B said something unfathomably stupid. Olbermann seems to be coming from a place where he's never been into hip hop, but has been longing for strong anti-Trump voices (like a whole lot of us), and Eminem's powerful use of his rapping ability here reached him. I can imagine it's just a right place, right time sort of thing.

saw a bunch of people on twitter doing long rants on Keith fuckin Olbermann. stay focused, people.

I want to see the uncensored version

Worst part of this being censored is the final "FUCK YOU" against his fans that might be Trump supporters. A white hip-hop artist going after a portion of his majority white fanbase is no small thing, and it loses a bit of the sting being censored.

I mean, this is the same guy who had a song 17 years ago called "White America" about white privilege. Shouldn't be that surprising.

Good on Em tho, most relevant thing he's done in years.

Edit: Some y'all don't want him to be political? His best shit is when he gets political.

Oddduck

I mean, this is the same guy who had a song 17 years ago called "White America" about white privilege. Shouldn't be that surprising.

Good on Em tho, most relevant thing he's done in years.

Edit: Some y'all don't want him to be political? His best shit is when he gets political.

It's like these people forgot about the song "Mosh" where he completely shits all over Bush, Cheney and the Iraq War.

He's been political for years.

Top Bottom