• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

England v France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamc723

I thought this warranted its own thread due to what The FA will be doing in light of the Paris attacks, and the added security.

Within the stadium, The FA have planned some special things for both England and France supporters.

Before kick-off The FA plans to appropriately remember Friday's Paris incidents and encourages England fans to support the following initiatives:

• England fans are asked to respect the French national anthem, La Marseillaise, the words of which will be displayed on screens inside the arena
  • La Marseillaise will be sung after God Save the Queen, in a change of protocols
  • Materials will be on seats in the east side (England Home End) of the stadium, which will form the French Tricolore when fans hold them aloft during the anthem
  • A minute's silence will be observed prior to kick-off
  • Please ensure that you take your seats no later than 7.55pm to observe the minute’s silence and national anthems
  • Both teams will wear black armbands during the game
  • The England team will make a gesture of solidarity to the French team prior to kick-off
  • The FA will also continue to light the Wembley Arch in the blue, white and red of the Tricolore, as well as displaying the national motto of France, Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité, which stands for liberty, equality and fraternity.

Source: http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2015/nov/england-v-france-plans-for-wembley

Speaking outside Scotland Yard's headquarters, Mr Terry said: "People travelling to and from the ground will see additional police officers at transport modes, they will see additional police officers on the walk up Olympic Way to the stadium, and in and around the stadium they will see armed officers, which is something they wouldn't normally see.

"I won't say that's the first time it's been deployed at a football match, but you will see officers out on foot carrying firearms."

Source: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/619812/Paris-terror-attacks-armed-police-guard-England-France-friendly

Will you be watching?

CUBvQCiXIAAZHm4.jpg

https://twitter.com/richard_conway/status/666655081744453632

Vive la France :)

pulsemyne

It's going to be quite a strange match in many ways. Having said that I will be amazed if some brain dead english fan doesn't start booing.

They'll get shushed down if they do.

Can hope so. Just yesterday Bosnian fans were yelling doing the moment of silence (some say they were yelling Allahu Akbar but it sounds like something else to me), when they played Ireland. It's not the first time and certainly not the last time that will happen.

The English football fans are usually extremely pig ignorant when it comes to other nations' national anthems. Boos are usually heard whenever a foreign anthem is played at Wembley.

I'd like to think they'll be better behaved tonight.

All of Europe playing friendlies while over here in CONCACAF land we're on World Cup 2018 qualifiers already. Either ours are too long or UEFA's are too short. Or maybe both :(

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Both captains are going to lay down a floral before kickofff aswell

They want England fans to sing the French national anthem.
How? It's in French, and god knows the vast vast majority won't know how it goes. It'll sound horrific.

Wouldn't be better to encourage silence amongst the English speakers and to let the travelling fans sing the anthem?

123rl

The English football fans are usually extremely pig ignorant when it comes to other nations' national anthems. Boos are usually heard whenever a foreign anthem is played at Wembley.

Most fans will respect it but the braindead fucktards who usually boo or cause problems will be as ignorant as always. They'll be tired and angry, probably after coming from a Britain First march or spent the afternoon shouting at Hindus and Sikhs.

Vagabundo

It's going to be quite a strange match in many ways. Having said that I will be amazed if some brain dead english fan doesn't start booing.

Happened at the Ireland game last night:

The same media outlet also condemns their fans who interrupted the pre-match minute's silence to honour the victims of the recent Paris attacks.

"Unfortunately, protocol and a minute of silence was interrupted by several Bosnian fans," they write . "Fans who were at the moment when the whole stadium stood , head bowed, began chanting 'Palestine'".

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...ion-to-euro-2016-playoff-defeat-34207428.html

jufonuk

not tag worthy

I really hope they cheer and sing along,

Mr. Sam

Most fans will respect it but the braindead fucktards who usually boo or cause problems will be as ignorant as always. They'll be tired and angry, probably after coming from a Britain First march or spent the afternoon shouting at Hindus and Sikhs.

I never thought I'd say this but I think English football fans are being given a bad rap.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I never thought I'd say this but I think English football fans are being given a bad rap.

Yep, I'll be surprised if anyone's disrespectful tonight.

We like to banter on and can go overboard but we're always respectful when it's stuff like this.

Lego Boss

I'll watch.
I think the game will end 0-0.

Think it might be that the teams try to serve up a performance and show a bit of verve and panache and try and attack each other (well France can, I'm not sure if England could do that against a quality side).

I think the most recent game was a 1-1 in Poland at Euro 2012, so I'll go for an entertaining 2-2, showing that sport can transcend and unite in times of trouble.

Conflicted by this game its only a friendly but its now about politics I can't really see it being a contest the crowds will do there job bringing the atmosphere but I can't see English players being up for this compared to the French and this game was supposed to be a measuring stick to see how far the English can cope with the big dogs

Par Score

Sad that English fans still have such a bad reputation.

We've really gotten a lot better over the last decade, and on an occasion like this I expect the silence to be observed impeccably and La Marseillaise to be belted out to the best of our (limited) ability.

This should be a really memorable occasion (even if I expect the match will be poor beyond belief).

Liamc723

Sad that English fans still have such a bad reputation.

We've really gotten a lot better over the last decade, and on an occasion like this I expect the silence to be observed impeccably and La Marseillaise to be belted out to the best of our (limited) ability.

This should be a really memorable occasion (even if I expect the match will be poor beyond belief).

Yeah, I don't think we'll have any problems whatsoever.

Herne

Yes you are wrong.

The proper spelling is "Vive la France"

Well, that's shut me right up. Thanks!

Edit - Oh, I see where the confusion came from. It was Vive le Roi, wasn't it? It's been a long time since secondary school, but I'm guessing le and la are male and female respectively.

Magni

Well, that's shut me right up. Thanks!

Edit - Oh, I see where the confusion came from. It was Vive le Roi, wasn't it? It's been a long time since secondary school, but I'm guessing le and la are male and female respectively.

That's it yes. Most countries are grammatically feminine in French.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom