• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Entire Seattle HS Football Team Takes a Knee During Anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

kneeling.jpg

After the game, which Garfield won, Garfield High School head football coach Joey Thomas said that "the players decided to do this" to bring attention to "social injustices," emphasizing that it was "a player-driven" move and that his players plan to continue the practice during the anthem before every game "until they tell us to stop."

About four or five players on the West Seattle High School team also knelt during the anthem at the Southwest Athletic Complex in the West Seattle area.

Seattle Public Schools issued the following statement: “Students kneeling during the national anthem are expressing their rights protected by the First Amendment. Seattle Public Schools supports all students' right to free speech.”

Source:
http://q13fox.com/2016/09/16/entire...am-kneels-during-national-anthem-before-game/

Good on them for taking a stance I say. And good on the school district for supporting them.

According the the article, this may be the first time a high school team has done this.

Side Note: If you want to discuss the pros/cons of the statement made by the team, feel free, but please leave the "protesting wrong" BS out of this thread. It shouldn't matter if only a few players take a stand or all the players on a team take a stand. The message isn't diluted just because they all agree it's a good message.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm glad the school district gave such a reasonable response.

ZOONAMI

I don't really understand the taking a knee part of this. I get that taking a knee is like a sports thing, but I feel like kneeling is honestly more demeaning than standing for the national anthem. Its like kneeling in fealty to the flag.

People should start planking instead.

Sorry I really do understand and support the act of this protest, but kneeling doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe because I was raised Catholic and kneeling to me was always like a respect thing.

I would put on a black lives matter hat and not take it off during the anthem, over kneeling. Or put in ear plugs and look in the opposite direction of the flag.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Is kneeling to the anthem supposed to be insulting? I know that's not the intention but the way some people are outraged by it you'd think they were wiping their asses with the flag or something?

TheSun

Very cool of them, hope this will get the message across for some.
Peaceful protests that still get a lot of attention is always good.

Trouble

Banned
Is kneeling to the anthem supposed to be insulting? I know that's not the intention but the way some people are outraged by it you'd think they were wiping their asses with the flag or something?

It's not supposed to be insulting, neither is sitting. It's meant to send a message in just about the most passive, respectful way possible.

Orbis

Sorry but what's the meaning and context for it?
It says in the article you are responding to. A peaceful protest in support of racial equality. It's a good form of protest in that it's clearly not an attempt to be disrespectful to anyone or anything, just making a point.

Everyone at my job was talking about and passing the link for that petition to make it the law to stand for the pledge and the anthem.

Imagine having to be legally forced to call America "the land of the free"

Alucrid

Banned
Sorry to break up the good vibes here, as this is great, but remember that meanwhile in Texas...

Texas Youth Football Team to Continue Protesting Anthem Despite Death Threats
https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews....nue-protesting-anthem-death/story?id=42082211

Don't let this team make you complacent, we've still got huge racism problems.

i was reminded of one of the biggest pieces of shit i've read in a newspaper

http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC/20160406/NEWS/160409817

i wonder if anyone will try and spin this in a similar manner

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Much less to lose though.

Kudos to them regardless.

Or even more to lose as these kids are not high paid professional athletes with lawyers, agents and so on. They run the risk of not going anywhere because of this. I'd say they have a lot more to lose, their future.

Anecdote:

My nephew has been playing football since elementary school. There is an unsaid rule with his coaches that when a player is injured on the field, all the players take a knee on the sidelines. Out of respect for the injured, perhaps to pray for him if you are so inclined, and of course to be out of the way for any medical personnel. So, in a sense, taking a knee could be indicating "Something is wrong".

Sushi Nao

Or even more to lose as these kids are not high paid professional athletes with lawyers, agents and so on. They run the risk of not going anywhere because of this. I'd say they have a lot more to lose, their future.

Protesting racial inequality helps make a better future. They not only have less to lose, but something to gain.

Sorry to break up the good vibes here, as this is great, but remember that meanwhile in Texas...

Texas Youth Football Team to Continue Protesting Anthem Despite Death Threats
https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews....nue-protesting-anthem-death/story?id=42082211

Don't let this team make you complacent, we've still got huge racism problems.

I'm sure making death threats to 11 year olds will make them see just how silly they are for thinking race is an issue in this country.

It means they are losing their skill as QBs and are probably going to get cut from the 49ers and are just trying to get attention so they can keep making money.
Well I hope the team gets the proper training they need then. Why dont they just fire the current coach and get a new one?

Good for them tho. Hopefully more schools will follow suit.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Protesting racial inequality helps make a better future. They not only have less to lose, but something to gain.

You don't seem to get that I'm glad these kids did this and support it fully. My point was they could have a lot more to lose than a team of high paid professional athletes who have a lot of money, status and power. These kids could be screwed by this if certain elements wanted to really shit on them. Imagine if the school wasn't supportive and had them all expelled or what not.

Nepenthe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom