• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Entire Seattle HS Football Team Takes a Knee During Anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

Woodrow Wilson High in Camden, NJ, frequently rated tops in crime per capita, did the same thing.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...tement-on-Woodrow-Wilson-anthem-protest.html#

The statement, which was released by district spokesman Brendan Lowe, is as follows:

"The District supports standing for the flag, but this is a personal issue, and we strongly respect our students' experiences and their exercising our country's First Amendment rights. Whether our students choose to stand, kneel, or otherwise, we're proud of their engagement with what is more broadly a very important social justice issue."
That's the school district's response.

Trigger warning on the author. He's a douche and had a terrible article earlier in the week. There's a quick video on that article.

Our kids more understanding than the grown ups.

Sushi Nao

You don't seem to get that I'm glad these kids did this and support it fully. My point was they could have a lot more to lose than a team of high paid professional athletes who have a lot of money, status and power. These kids could be screwed by this if certain elements wanted to really shit on them. Imagine if the school wasn't supportive and had them all expelled or what not.

Yes, if the school's response was different it certainly would be different

Sorry to break up the good vibes here, as this is great, but remember that meanwhile in Texas...

Texas Youth Football Team to Continue Protesting Anthem Despite Death Threats
https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews....nue-protesting-anthem-death/story?id=42082211

Don't let this team make you complacent, we've still got huge racism problems.

What's distressing about this is how real of a threat this can be in America. Some right wing racist gun nut could quite easily storm a field and start gunning down people.

Savitar

KING OF THE NORTH!

Oh wait.....

Good for them, it's not something I'd think people in their position would often take a stand on.

DavidDesu

What sort of free country must you live in for this to be talked about as potentially harming their futures... The hyper nationalism in America is something else. Honestly you're not far off North Korean levels (slight exaggeration).

Seriously though the fervor people have for the anthem and showing you're a patriot is scary to me.

What sort of free country must you live in for this to be talked about as potentially harming their futures... The hyper nationalism in America is something else. Honestly you're not far off North Korean levels (slight exaggeration).

Seriously though the fervor people have for the anthem and showing you're a patriot is scary to me.
We've got expansive poverty with our lowest wages ever, limited job choices or means to escape that poverty, and more prisoners per capita than anywhere in the world. We're arguably already worse.

Nipo

China is a better example than North Korea. The fact the two largest militaries are run by hyper nationalistic countries will eventually end badly.

China is a better example than North Korea. The fact the two largest militaries are run by hyper nationalistic countries will eventually end badly.

Considering each country is responsible for 30% of all trade with the other, this is unlikely. I'm not necessarily a subscriber to Thomas Friedman's "Golden Arches Theory of Conflict Prevention" but it's an amusing rule of thumb to consider in cases where two nations like the US and China have become too economically interdependent for them to ever consider war with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom