• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EpicNameBro working on Dark Souls II strategy guide, thinks it's better than DkS1

Arcayne

Thats pretty damn cool. I enjoyed all of his DkS vids and gladly take his word for it. That and I know the game to be good from those glorious beta testings. March...hurry up.

gioGAF

edit: Also, the DkS guide sucked ass because half the info was changed after the patches started rolling in weeks after launch.
I can't stress this enough! These guys are nuts if they think I will ever buy a strategy guide from them after the fiasco that was the DkS1 strategy guide. Maybe if they gave it away for free, but if the DkS1 guide is any indication, this one will be worthless in about 1 month.

Ill Saint

Great to read that such a dedicated fan of the games is working on the guide. And to those cynical posters who were questioning the integrity of his opinion regarding the game, shame on you.

Deadstar

ENB REALLY likes DkS so if he thinks this is better, that might not be healthy for him.

edit: Also, the DkS guide sucked ass because half the info was changed after the patches started rolling in weeks after launch.

This is true but the art was still really awesome and the spell info was still helpful as far as what it actually did.

Epic Name Bro getting paid to work on something related to Dark Souls 2, thinks Dark Souls 2 is a better game.

Shocking news!!!!!!!

Also if it's anything like the beta, confirmed worse game. Much worse! So slow, RIP demon's souls speed.

I mean I am an avid subscriber to his channel and love his videos but come on. Thats not saying DS2 can't be better than the first.

I wish AGI would revert things back to Demons Souls speed but sadly it just makes it like Dark Souls max speed. Why FROM!?

Ill Saint

I wish AGI would revert things back to Demons Souls speed but sadly it just makes it like Dark Souls max speed. Why FROM!?

Actually, I recall a few people commenting that once Agility was raised the speed and movement felt a lot like Demon's Souls. I tend to agree with that view based on my own experience with the NT.

Actually, I recall a few people commenting that once Agility was raised the speed and movement felt a lot like Demon's Souls. I tend to agree with that view based on my own experience with the NT.

Nah, I played the beta and lvled AGI till 40. Its not like Demons Souls. Also the speed in Demons Souls doesn't just come from movement. Weapons in general would hit faster as well.

Soriku

is DKS2 really twice as big as DKS1 ? from a world size perspective.

From the leaked area list there seems to be
areas, compared to the 24 (standard) and 31-32 (with DLC) areas in Dark Souls. So a little less than double when it comes to areas, but who knows how much actual space Dark Souls 2 covers compared to 1.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
areas, compared to the 24 (standard) and 31-32 (with DLC) areas in Dark Souls. So a little less than double when it comes to areas, but who knows how much actual space Dark Souls 2 covers compared to 1.

woah woah woah what list? i must have this.

EDIT: Nvm, found it

HeelPower

I think the devs said it's about the same size.

yeah I wasn't asking haphazardly.Its just that page on wiki cites a sources that states the gamesize is roughly twice DS.

I know wikipedia isn't the best source but it just made me wonder!

Zaventem

I can't stress this enough! These guys are nuts if they think I will ever buy a strategy guide from them after the fiasco that was the DkS1 strategy guide. Maybe if they gave it away for free, but if the DkS1 guide is any indication, this one will be worthless in about 1 month.

Patching a game won't make a strategy guide worthless.. yeah number values for weapons changed but everything else is where it was supposed to be. Besides the people who buy the guides already know you can wait for somebody to make a guide on gamefaqs or wait on a wiki. I bought mine because Future Press makes quality guides and it's a 400 page hardcover which makes for some good bathroom reading. It's to be expected in this era, Dark Souls unpatched has some crazy problems and not patching a game so someone won't have a temper tantrum because a weapon does 440 instead of 480 isn't that big of a deal.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
But is it possible to jump straight in with this and be a part of the zeitgeist? I haven't played the previous games.

It would probably be a good point to jump in, iirc the developers said they wanted to make the more complex systems of Dark Souls 1 a bit better explained.

Moongazer

But is it possible to jump straight in with this and be a part of the zeitgeist? I haven't played the previous games.
Dark Souls 2 will be loosely connected to Dark Souls 1 in terms of lore. Each game is practically standalone so you will be to jump straight into Dark Souls 2 if you like, but as others have mentioned it is worth checking out the previous games.

takriel

Its pretty damn big
Is the world design the same as in Dark Souls? Meaning lots of short-cuts and more than one paths to choose from the beginning (as in Undead Burg, Graveyard, New Londo)? Can you encounter areas with over-powered enemies early in the game?

Is the world design the same as in Dark Souls? Meaning lots of short-cuts and more than one paths to choose from the beginning (as in Undead Burg, Graveyard, New Londo)? Can you encounter areas with over-powered enemies early in the game?

I played the beta and yes to all of those.

soontroll

Banned
I think that buying a strategy guide is probably the worst thing you can do if you're going to play a Souls game.

Most people who play the game resort to watching videos and reading walkthroughs on GameFAQs or something when they get stuck. Might as well buy the official guide with the nice art and production quality then.

Arjen

Sweet, love his videos. And he seems like a genuine dude, I doubt he would be praising DS2 if he didn't actually believe it was a good game.

I mean I am an avid subscriber to his channel and love his videos but come on. Thats not saying DS2 can't be better than the first.

I prefer the slower pace of Dark Souls. People shouldn't be swinging around claymores like katanas.

I think that buying a strategy guide is probably the worst thing you can do if you're going to play a Souls game.
I don't disagree, but I really enjoyed ENB's videos and him getting this gig is worth supporting for me, so I will buy it even if I don't look at it until after my first playthrough.

His tweet about saying it's better DS1, well - I respect his opinion so this is great news to me.

Where can I get this guide from? I can't find it on amazon.
The amazon link is in the tweet in the OP.

eot

Banned
Makes me somewhat more excited.
Obvious conflict of interest, but ENB seems like he has pretty good integrity.

Feindflug

I don't disagree, but I really enjoyed ENB's videos and him getting this gig is worth supporting for me, so I will buy it even if I don't look at it until after my first playthrough.

His tweet about saying it's better DS1, well - I respect his opinion so this is great news to me.

He says it's "much" better though and I refuse to believe that, not because I think ENB is a shill or crap like that but because I don't want to be disappointed. :/

Top Bottom