• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN 30 for 30 - OJ: Made in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cagey

Banned
The FX series depiction of OJ as a naïve, confused, meek near-simpleton was absurd just months ago and looks far worse this week.

Venture

Can't believe I just sat through all 5 parts today. I couldn't stop watching. Just the OJ stuff would've been a good documentary, but intertwining it with the history of racism in LA and the LAPD for context was brilliant. One of the best I've seen in a while.

I have no idea how anyone in the prosecution or with the LAPD's investigation ever worked again. They did an amazing job of fucking the case up.
Seriously. Delivering OJ's blood sample to the crime scene? WTF were they thinking?!

Dalek

Watching the first episode now and it's easily worth the hype-a tremendous documentary. Seeing all the race riots in the 60s just breaks my heart and makes me pissed.

I would watch both, starting with the series. The show gives you some great exaggerated performances from individuals you may not have known about during the trial. Having seen the FX program first, it makes the actual individuals more identifiable and easy to digest in a long documentary.

I think watch the FX Series because it gives a bit more info and then follow up with OJ:Made in America. the FX show might be one of the best shows of 2016 so please do check it out.

Thanks. I'll watch the ESPN series after I finish the FX show then.

undrtakr900

Oh shit spoilers, I'm watching on TV, better avoid this thread until I finish the whole series....
(Currently just have my phone for internet, but don't want to watch on a small screen)

I was around 10, when the trial happened so I remember the media frenzy well, but details on case are fuzzy.

Oh shit spoilers, I'm watching on TV, better avoid this thread until I finish the whole series....
(Currently just have my phone for internet, but don't want to watch on a small screen)

I was around 10, when the trial happened so I remember the media frenzy well, but details on case are fuzzy.
I really think you should watch the uncensored version.

Dmented

Banned
Has anyone happened to find a way to watch the rest of the episodes without ESPN3? I found a site streaming up to episode 4 but not 5, at least yet, and the quality isn't the best but acceptable.

Annoying my cable provider has access to almost all the ESPN's except ESPN3 lol.

Guzim

Has anyone happened to find a way to watch the rest of the episodes without ESPN3? I found a site streaming up to episode 4 but not 5, at least yet, and the quality isn't the best but acceptable.

Annoying my cable provider has access to almost all the ESPN's except ESPN3 lol.
Do you have On Demand? That's how I'm watching episode 4 right now.

Just finished watching it and there's no doubt this is going to win Oscar for Best Documentary. This brings back a lot of memories and I was a freshman in college (yes I'm old), and I remember when the verdict was read I was in my dorm room watching it on TV and as soon as we heard Not Guilty, you could hear all the black folks cheering and all the white people speechless, mind you this was a predominately white college in Georgia. This documentary did an excellent job showing the divide in White and Black America. It's always amazing to me the disgust some white people have for the jurors being biased in this specific case with no self awareness of the biases of police officers, prosecutors, predominately white jurors and judges sentencing for Black men have been historically and still are in this country. And people always seem to forget that there were 2 white women on the jury who were more likely to identify with Nicole Brown the most that at the very least could've halted the verdict to a hung jury if they believed the prosecution proved their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

So, if you've seen Part Four, you already know about the crime scene pictures. ESPN put out a press release regarding how they'd handle the broadcast version of the episode (the On-Demand version is uncensored).

Essentially, the photos will be unaltered for tonight's showing and will be censored for later viewings.

Tall4Life

Damn. The prosecution's witnesses are absolute idiots. The defense is poking holes in absolutely everything these investigators were doing.

My god I did not need to see those photos.

Is it a normal feeling to hate the defense? I understand that their job requires them to do anything to maintain innocence, but damn I don't think I could live with letting a murderer go free, no matter what kind of money I got.

Is it a normal feeling to hate the defense? I understand that their job requires them to do anything to maintain innocence, but damn I don't think I could live with letting a murderer go free, no matter what kind of money I got.

It's a unique situation because everybody knows OJ did it. At the end of the day, the prosecution fucked things up beyond belief, and Marcia Clark is still in denial 20 years later

Tall4Life

This case is kind of a weird perfect storm. With the rising hatred of the LAPD and the luck that so much of the evidence collection was botched, the defense was able to basically make a previously unwinnable case winnable. They are masters at their jobs.

And yet the Police and DA do it all the time.

It's a unique situation because everybody knows OJ did it. At the end of the day, the prosecution fucked things up beyond belief, and Marcia Clark is still in denial 20 years later

Even the pastors and community activists may have believed that he was guilty, yet they used him to further their own causes and bring up all of the racial injustice that was present in L.A.

It's interesting to see how OJ was essentially used his entire life.

I'm starting to believe that everyone involved in this case may have just used it to further their own goals. The news, newspaper, lawyers, civil rights leaders, etc. SO much more than just a murder case.

bialik-oj-11.png

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/most-black-people-now-think-oj-simpson-was-guilty/

TheCool69

Neo Member
Just started watching and on the first episode they are talking about how special and super athlete OJ was.. And ot looks and sounds very impressive how the teams whole strategy is just pass the ball to him.

My question is how good player OJ was? Was he something special? How would you compare him against todays players?

Just started watching and on the first episode they are talking about how special and super athlete OJ was.. And ot looks and sounds very impressive how the teams whole strategy is just pass the ball to him.

My question is how good player OJ was? Was he something special? How would you compare him against todays players?

He was an all time great football player

Kevtones

Finished it. The ending is perfect in its tone. It's parallels the insignificance of OJ at the end of his freedom and has a really crucial line about race that needed to be said.

Wonderful documentary.

Also, the crime scene photos are definitely the most upclose/graphic in episode 4.

Mollymauk

He had two historically great seasons professionally, and was a phenom in college.

In 1973, Simpson became the first player to rush for 2,000 yards in a season; he is the only player to do so in 14 games. That year, O.J. averaged 143 rushing yards per game, still the best single-season, yards-per-game average in history. Two years later, he averaged 130 rushing yards per game, currently sixth best all time.

Everyone needs to watch the FX show. I'm marathoning it with my mom after we watched the documentary and she's floored by Vance's fucking pitch perfect performance. Ep. 5-10 are the best run of episodes I've seen this year. You'll see some stuff that you didn't see in the documentary too like the lie detector (unless this was mentioned, I'm not sure).

Cagey

Banned
Given how much OJ craved acceptance from the rich, powerful, white Hollywood upper class...his banishment and pariah status post trial from that crust of society is a particularly specific punishment he served.

I feel like this documentary didn't really drive home how horrific the Fuhrman tapes were like ACS did. The guy was a real racist, sexist piece of human garbage and the tapes could've definitely made a juror think twice about a guilty verdict.

He was good in the documentary, yeah but he was still terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom