• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN 30 for 30 - OJ: Made in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinGT

Banned
That last episode is fucking insane. I never knew about all the crazy shit he got into in Florida and Las Vegas before the armed robbery thing.

ClRvujHXIAEyXxc.jpg

*smh*

What are his chances that he'll be paroled next year? It seems unlikely, but I read a few years back that one of his lengthier convictions from the robbery was overturned. People won't admit it, but I feel that the severity of his current incarceration seems more to do with the murders he was acquitted of than it does with the actual robbery and kidnapping charges. I never thought that any of the Manson family members would ever be paroled, and yet one of them was granted that last spring.

The guy a came across like a complete sociopath in alot of his post murder interviews. I remember a back and forth exchange on Fox News between him and Denise Brown. Holy shit was it ugly. Simpson accused Denise of her undermining his relationship with Nicole because he refused to have sex with her. The guy was a crazy motherfucker.

So who's probably crazier at this point, OJ Simpson or Mike Tyson? Ten years ago, I used to think that the Mike Tyson brand was unsalvagable, and yet he's managed to show up on a number of talk shows over the years. Is there any chance that he could ever fess up to the crimes? Imagine him doing so in a one on one interview with Diane Sawyer. It would be bigger than the Bruce Jenner story.

What are his chances that he'll be paroled next year? It seems unlikely, but I read a few years back that one of his lengthier convictions from the robbery was overturned. People won't admit it, but I feel that the severity of his current incarceration seems more to do with the murders he was acquitted of than it does with the actual robbery and kidnapping charges. I never thought that any of the Manson family members would ever be paroled, and yet one of them was granted that last spring.

The guy a came across like a complete sociopath in alot of his post murder interviews. I remember a back and forth exchange on Fox News between him and Denise Brown. Holy shit was it ugly. Simpson accused Denise of her undermining his relationship with Nicole because he refused to have sex with her. The guy was a crazy motherfucker.

His sentence had everything to do with his murder acquittal. As one of OJ's lawyers noted it wasn't coincidence that the total years of his sentence was 33, the same number of millions of dollars that OJ was ordered to pay to the victim's family after being found liable of their murder in a civil case years ago. OJ's childhood friend said it best, "That's White justice for you."

Darkman M

I think it's fairly obvious and most people would agree that his sentence was about the murders. 33 million 33 years..... lol

Boogie9IGN

What a great series. As someone who was too young for any of this, I grew up just hearing jokes about OJ doing it etc and not really knowing much until I watched the FX show. With this documentary, I actually caught myself thinking 'Wow OJ was pretty badass' during pt 1-2 until the docu just does a 180 and OJ starts looking like a piece of shit.

I'm almost done with pt 5 and his complete shitshow of a demise after the trial is just ridiculous; that expression about not wanting to look away from a trainwreck certainly holds true with him

GamerSoul

I just finished part 4 and wow. It's eye opening as someone who was too young to remember the trial. This documentary is amazing and it encapsulates a time in America that we still struggle with today.

It is mind boggling just how far off course the trial went from the evidence...

Edit. Don't want to say too much. Gotta watch it your self. It's worth it.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Fuck, those photos are terrible. I wasn't prepared for the one of Nicole's throat opened up....

That whole scene made me cry.

Cmerrill

They show those in the doc? Or did you look them up?

Close up of her head lifted and throat cut wide open, end to end. Also some terrible ones of Ron..

It certainly drove home the point of how terrible they died and how mad someone was.

entremet

Close up of her head lifted and throat cut wide open, end to end. Also some terrible ones of Ron..

It certainly drove home the point of how terrible they died and how mad someone was.

Ugh. I've been meaning to watch this, but I want to avoid seeing stuff like this.

LionPride

Banned

So who's probably crazier at this point, OJ Simpson or Mike Tyson? Ten years ago, I used to think that the Mike Tyson brand was unsalvagable, and yet he's managed to show up on a number of talk shows over the years. Is there any chance that he could ever fess up to the crimes? Imagine him doing so in a one on one interview with Diane Sawyer. It would be bigger than the Bruce Jenner story.
Everyone admits that his conviction had to do with him gettin off for murder. Mike Tyson is a woman beating rapist, but people still love him. That answers that question.

mreddie

Caught the marathon before and after MEX-CHI.

Fuck man, the 2nd half is the most brutal with the trial stuff if only because it seemed everyone fucked up and a powder keg went off at a uneasy time.

I was in kindergarten when the trial happened but remember everyone sitting to see the verdict, we were living a black heavy neighborhood at the time and once the verdict came out, my dad locked the door and barricaded the house because despite the verdict, he got a feeling that they would be too reckless.

My brother is a Bills fan and we joke one of the most notable players is OJ.

Man, OJ to it all was a piece of work, the embracing he got post trial is flabbergasting to me.

And I remember Juiced, wasn't that on FOX?

Cmerrill

Ugh. I've been meaning to watch this, but I want to avoid seeing stuff like this.

Yeah, I've been watching the uncensored version online. I believe, maybe the TV version is less graphic?

It's certainly not pics for everyone to see and stomach. If anything though, they drove home terrible the crime was.

I heard someone out at dinner the other night, talking to one of the cooks like "this is the single greatest thing ESPN's ever done."

And I thought that sounded a little hyperbolic.

Just finished part 5.

That guy is probably right.

Broank

Finished it in 2 sittings. Great documentary. Really loved the perspective with the intertwining of the events and race relations in LA at the time, don't really remember most of that stuff. The Marcus Allen affair stuff was new to me too.

I do still vividly remember my parents watching the trial pretty much every day even though I was pretty young. I remember our 4th grade class watching the verdict live in school and even then being shocked.

As a lighter side note those OJ naked gun scenes never fail to crack me up. I bursted out laughing. lol

OJ threw it all away over a fit rage. He really thought he was invincible. He'd still be enjoying the good life right now. He ruined many lives because of his selfishness.

The first airing was uncensored, all re-airs will be censored. ESPN put out a press release about it

The crime scene photos were still uncensored in last night's reairing, so maybe it'll be censored after this weekend.

I heard someone out at dinner the other night, talking to one of the cooks like "this is the single greatest thing ESPN's ever done."

And I thought that sounded a little hyperbolic.

Just finished part 5.

That guy is probably right.

It's leapfrogged Benji and it's now my favorite of the 30 for 30 series. It's really damn good.

I feel like this documentary didn't really drive home how horrific the Fuhrman tapes were like ACS did. The guy was a real racist, sexist piece of human garbage and the tapes could've definitely made a juror think twice about a guilty verdict.

He was good in the documentary, yeah but he was still terrible.

I only watched the 30 for 30, but I think it nailed how much of a piece of shit Furhman was. There's probably more but I don't think its necessary since it's an OJ documentary. He also wasn't the only factor, which this documentary covers.

You could remove Mark Furhman from history and OJ still gets off free, that's how bad they fucked up.

uncblue

Wow at the crime scene photos. Is this the first time these have been shown? I've heard them described before but they were worse than I expected.

Also, the Korean lady that got probation made me furious. I don't think I would have been able to control myself in the courtroom when that verdict was read.

mid83

I've watched 3 out of 5 so far. Brilliant documentary so far. I was 11 when I saw the Bronco chase at my grandparents house on tv. I knew he was a great athlete (I was always a huge sports fan) but didn't know much about him otherwise. No idea at the time how big of an event that was. During the trial I remember my parents watching a show that Geraldo hosted (on CNN I believe) that did a daily recap of the trial. Of course I remember the verdict being read in Jr. High and all the racial divides about the verdict.

It has been pretty interested getting to fill in the details about the trail this year between the FX show and this documentary. Both are highly recommended. Also, for those of you who haven't really seen other 30 for 30 docs, check them out. I've watched a large percent of them and the vast majority are very well done. Excellent series all around

EDIT: I also want to mention how bad I feel for the Goldman's in this whole ordeal. Ron is basically a footnote in one of the biggest events in recent history. Having to see their son's brutal murder play out constantly while Ron Goldman is basically ignored has to be heart wrenching, especially knowing that his murderer was out free for many years.

CSX

Watched part 5 on espn last night. Convinced me to watch it all the way starting from part 1.

Currently halfway through part 2. Shit is getting crazy. From someone who was born in 92' , the only things i knew was that oj simpson was some football player that got away with murder. To see how big of a name he was before all of this is completely new and fascinating to me.

I've watched 3 out of 5 so far. Brilliant documentary so far. I was 11 when I saw the Bronco chase at my grandparents house on tv. I knew he was a great athlete (I was always a huge sports fan) but didn't know much about him otherwise. No idea at the time how big of an event that was. During the trial I remember my parents watching a show that Geraldo hosted (on CNN I believe) that did a daily recap of the trial. Of course I remember the verdict being read in Jr. High and all the racial divides about the verdict.

It has been pretty interested getting to fill in the details about the trail this year between the FX show and this documentary. Both are highly recommended. Also, for those of you who haven't really seen other 30 for 30 docs, check them out. I've watched a large percent of them and the vast majority are very well done. Excellent series all around

EDIT: I also want to mention how bad I feel for the Goldman's in this whole ordeal. Ron is basically a footnote in one of the biggest events in recent history. Having to see their son's brutal murder play out constantly while Ron Goldman is basically ignored has to be heart wrenching, especially knowing that his murderer was out free for many years.

Yep:
Their son was an afterthought
They got caught-up in an entire race/LAPD perfect storm that had nothing to do with them
The guy who killed their son got off free
Even after they get a civil victory, OJ hides most of his money and valuables
The killer of their son writes a book detailing how "he would have" killed their son

The whole thing is gross

mid83

Yep:
Their son was an afterthought
They got caught-up in an entire race/LAPD perfect storm that had nothing to do with them
The guy who killed their son got off free
Even after they get a civil victory, OJ hides most of his money and valuables
The killer of their son writes a book detailing how "he would have" killed their son

The whole thing is gross

Yeah, it's disgusting and I can't imagine the horrors the Goldmans deal with on a daily basis. Seeing Carl Douglas basically gloat in episode 3 about how they changed the pictures in OJ's house pissed me off. I can't imagine how that makes somebody like Fred Goldman feel.

Krejlooc

Banned
just started watching these last night, holy hell these are terrific. 30 for 30 is basically the best thing ESPN has ever made.

I'm curious to see if after OJ dies and they test his brain to see if he suffered from CTE. That disease a lot of football players suffer from due to repeated blows to the head. Chris Benoit was diagnosed with it after he killed his family and committed suicide.

Jasper

"That (Kardashian) show won't last 2 weeks!"

keepingupwiththe-kardashians1.jpg

Funny considering the show is about to celebrate it's ten year anniversary (yes, there's been ten years of Keeping up with the Kardashians), plus the family got paid one hundred million dollars by E! for even more seasons, and there are even more Kardashian spin off shows also in the works (there's already been over half a dozen spin off Kardashian shows).

The FX series depiction of OJ as a naïve, confused, meek near-simpleton was absurd just months ago and looks far worse this week.

I though the FX series was essentially the retelling of the OJ story through the obsessive lens of daily news media. In essence, it's a critique of our media, and the characters are absurd caricatures accordingly. That or maybe that's what it did unintentionally.

When I first heard about this I thought 8 hours or 5 parts was ridiculous

Eating my words happily. Definitely the best 30 for 30 and miniseries this decade, maybe the best miniseries of all time

Wanted so badly to power through the 5th part of the series last night, but forced myself to turn off the TV instead. I don't know that the Brown and Goldman families were aware of one of the juror's (that we know of) justification for a not guilty verdict prior to this series, but if I was family to either of the victims I would have had smoke shooting out of my ears. Congratulations on letting a man who damn near decapitated the mother of their children (that image will stay with me for a long time) walk free because you felt it was justified based on centuries of injustice. She still obviously gives no fucks to this day.

Krejlooc

Banned
So did OJ actually commit murder?

I think all the evidence points to an overwhelming probability that he killed them. The trial hinged on decades of systematic incompetence rooted in racism by the LAPD, where things had gotten so bad that the level of corruption proposed wasn't impossible, and thus reasonable doubt. Basically, the whole trial is a damnation of how poorly run the LAPD was. They fucked up everything for so long that their own incompetence got played against themselves.

But yeah, I believe he killed them.

Started this last night and had to force myself not to stay up all night watching it. It's really incredible. I can't wait to get home from work and keep watching.

The worst thing is that they're juxtaposed with pictures of Nicole modeling and posing with her family. Like you really get a sense that this was a real person, a real human being with friends and family and wants and desires, and somebody brutally ended her life. And all the evidence points towards it being the father of her kids that did it.

Like man

shit is heavy

Wanted so badly to power through the 5th part of the series last night, but forced myself to turn off the TV instead. I don't know that the Brown and Goldman families were aware of one of the juror's (that we know of) justification for a not guilty verdict prior to this series, but if I was family to either of the victims I would have had smoke shooting out of my ears. Congratulations on letting a man who damn near decapitated the mother of their children (that image will stay with me for a long time) walk free because you felt it was justified based on centuries of injustice. She still obviously gives no fucks to this day.

That woman had me so furious.

Watched it over the weekend. I never knew how big of a star he was. The historical/societal background helped explain how he could have gotten away with murder.

Glad to see that he was put away for something stupid in the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom