• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB Rating: KILLZONE 1 on PS3

EXGN

I remember the story being light years better than KZ2, lots of good political intrigue and doublecrossing. In fact, the only story beat that really hit me in KZ2 was the moment involving the lead character from KZ1, so I think that speaks to the quality of the first one.

Gameplay is meh and graphics haven't aged well, but if you like KZ lore and the world, get this game.

Chris_C

My abiding memories of that game are "mooooo! I'm reloading!" And my ex-girlfriend somehow being freakishly good at MP despite having never played an FPS. Moooo!

So much hate for this title, i think that it´s pretty good, the gunplay is just awesome and the campaign is nice...also Hakka, best character in the series after Sev imho.

It´s not an "Halo Killer" of course.

HD remake would be great, but i don´t think that they care at all, so straight port most likely

Rat Salad

Banned
Remember renting this game and have some incredible laughs at the a.i. At one point it was so bad 2 enemies ran straight past me, then began shooting at the wall beside them.
How the fuck does this get a release on PSN?! Don't go near it!

NIGHT-

Remember renting this game and have some incredible laughs at the a.i. At one point it was so bad 2 enemies ran straight past me, then began shooting at the wall beside them.
How the fuck does this get a release on PSN?! Don't go near it!

Yea.. It's laughably bad... Don't see how this turd was praised to be a halo killer

Rat Salad

Banned
Yea.. It's laughably bad... Don't see how this turd was praised to be a halo killer

I never saw its final review in mags and online. But maybe reviewers were drinking some strong Koolaid back then. It was fun seeing the Halo Killer hype,made things fun and interesting.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
All of them are pretty mediocre. They do have pretty graphics. But the story, gameplay, controls just feel like a mediocre experience

I know you can judge them with your 3% trophies. Not to say that KZ3 is any good.

I picked it up for $10 in a bargain bin 5-6 years ago.

It was a lot of fun if you only play as the lady and one-shotted everything with your silenced rifle alt-fire. You could actually play it as a stealth game with her, hiding in bushes and popping heads. Unlike a lot of FPSs, the enemies weren't magically able to fire at your location if they couldn't see or hear you.

Great segmented health system too, kinda like Resistance 1's, but more granular.

NIGHT-

I know you can judge them with your 3% trophies. Not to say that KZ3 is any good.

I finished Kz2 on normal. Don't need to go through it and get every trophy to realize it wasn't a good experience

I haven't completed KZ3 yet. From what I played, it's taken a step backwards from Kz2 and manages to be worse. From what I read on gaf, that seems to be the case

jett

D-Member
obligatory:

"SCATA, GRENAADE!"

and

"NO NOT JOHNSON, HE WAS JUST A BOI!"

My Killzone experience was literally just this:

WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAAUUUUGGHHH
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
WE NEED SUPPORT

alr1ght

I finished Kz2 on normal. Don't need to go through it and get every trophy to realize it wasn't a good experience

I was referencing KZ3. You said all 3 KZ games were mediocre, meaning you could judge a game with 3% trophies.

Hell I don't even like 3, but I'll make sure to finish a game/put in a decent amount of time before I judge it/talk about it on gaf.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Cool!

I always loved the beginning of KZ1, but could not play it due to the frame rate and PS2 graphics.

From what I read on gaf, that seems to be the case

Gaf is full of people that crap on games they didn't play. BTW why so many post in this thread, some kind of crusade?

WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAAUUUUGGHHH
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
WE NEED SUPPORT

(^___^)

SparkTR

I played through Killzone 1 at least half a dozen times, while people were breaking out XBL with Halo 2 I was part of the ever exclusive Killzone online community. Day 1.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
SuperÑ;34185952 said:
Wow, something like that was my first ban here. Oh, the memories.

For a joke 4-5 years late? Deserved.

Great idea, remove backwards compatibility so you can rip people off for "HD classics". With unchanged base graphics no less.

alr1ght

They did use some play on Combat Evolved to market either 2 or 3. I can't remember exactly what it was though.

Probably the best review I've seen on KZ1. I think it's a game that could be miles better if the technical flaws were ironed out.

Definitely, the graphics & some of the set pieces were memorable & I enjoyed it more than KZ2, BUT you know nothing of bad performance & controls unless you play this game. Whatever games you play this gen that you think are bad in those departments are nothing in comparison to how the original Killzone ran on PS2.

Great idea, remove backwards compatibility so you can rip people off for "HD classics". With unchanged base graphics no less.

Err, you realize ps2 classics/HD remasters would happen even if they kept BC, right?

Some of you whine about everything. It's just a game. Don't think it's worth it, don't buy it. No one's "ripping you off".

Grisby

Best in the series. I'll replay a HD remake!
I gotta agree. The different characters and more varied levels make it fun to play, even if the shooting was much more refined in 2.

I'll check it out if its cleaned up.

weird choice. the original was an overly amibitious game that tried to do too much with the PS2 and suffered for it, like SOTC. like SOTC this should be an HD remake.

that could help the game save some face, but brining the creaky original version to a wider audience isn't going to do the brand any favours.

mug

No, please no. Remake maybe, but the PS2 game was horrendous and I can't believe I actually finished it.

Agreed. It was definitely one of the WORST games on PS2. It was so god damn shallow and unfinished I was simply astounded that I was able to finish the game. Not because of it being ugly but because it was filled with game breaking glitches and bugs.

Oh and the Killzone series needs a complete makeover - all of the characters suck so much...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
By the way, Primal was also rated for PS3 too. So maybe you guys can pick Primal over this. :p

[Nintex]

Before HALO: CEA came out I said: "The Halo crowd doesn't strike me as very nostalgic". The same goes with the Killzone fans I'd wager. They're selliing Killzones based on the idea of 'omg look at the graphics!' I don't see how a PS2-port or remake fits with that audience.

It's different for let's say Ocarina of Time 3D because Nintendo fans always look back as 'that' being the best game. The same goes for Sonic Generations because many Sega and gaming-fans always ask for 'classic Sonic'. Not to mention GTAIII that left such a mark on gaming that playing it on the iPad and Android tablets fits the nostalgia bill. I honestly don't think anyone was 'waiting' for Sony to bring back the first Killzone just like no one is waiting for EA to remake the first Need for Speed. Some classic games are better left alone in our memories.

KageMaru

WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAAUUUUGGHHH
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT