• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB Rating: KILLZONE 1 on PS3

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I would rather see the best of the series on the PS3.

Kzlboxart.jpg

PerZona

[Nintex];34184330 said:
It was impressive technically back in the day for PS2 but as a game it wasn't very good. Games like TimeSplitters 3 were much better in fact it was pretty much the best you could get as far as FPS's went on consoles.

Totally agree with you, TimeSplitters 3 is the best FPS hands down for last gen consoles. But i find Killzone 1 quite enjoyable as well though. But back then there aren't any many fps games to begin with as well.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've been a staunch advocate of KZ1 AI... it's been unfairly maligned. And is better or as good as the AI in most modern shooters.

SpecX

A month before KZ2 launched, I rushed out and bought KZ1 from gamestop in the used games $5 bin. The game had flaws, but it was enjoyable for what it was. I think what doomed it was getting the title "Halo Killer" which I don't believe it ever was made to be that.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
My Killzone experience was literally just this:

WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAAUUUUGGHHH
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
WE NEED SUPPORT
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
AAAAAUUUUGHHH
SCATTAH, GRENAAAAAAADE
WE NEED SUPPORT

Good stuff lol!

Evolved1

Do these PSN only releases improve the framerate at all?

I don't believe they do if they're just straight ports. I'm hoping this isn't a quick cash in and that they acknowledge and address the performance issues that plagued the original release.

[Nintex]

Totally agree with you, TimeSplitters 3 is the best FPS hands down for last gen consoles. But i find Killzone 1 quite enjoyable as well though. But back then there aren't any many fps games to begin with as well.

Outside of those and TimeSplitters 2 only 007 Nightfire, Black and Medal or Honor: Frontline come to mind as being decent on PS2.

All of them are pretty mediocre. They do have pretty graphics. But the story, gameplay, controls just feel like a mediocre experience

NIGHT- said:
I haven't completed KZ3 yet

lol GameFaqs expert has spoken, GTFO

"Starhawk is pretty mediocre. I didn't have the chance to play the beta but the story, gameplay and controls just feel like a mediocre experience"

I could probably quote this in any FPS thread and still be on topic/correct.

now we're talking... this is the 'magic' of GAF

matmanx1

Without an HD remake and a fix for the technical issues I doubt I would be interested. An HD remaster, however, would be a good move.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
[Nintex];34187240 said:
Outside of those and TimeSplitters 2 only 007 Nightfire, Black and Medal or Honor: Frontline come to mind as being decent on PS2.

The only good thing about Black on PS2 were the graphics IMO. Otherwise it was a boring and completely forgettable game with horribly spaced checkpoints.

I did enjoy Darkwatch though. Too bad the PS360 sequel was cancelled.

LiK

The only good thing about Black on PS2 were the graphics IMO. Otherwise it was a boring and completely forgettable game with horribly spaced checkpoints.

I did enjoy Darkwatch though. Too bad the PS360 sequel was cancelled.
I agree, Black was boring and lacked personality. Way overrated.

SparkTR

[Nintex];34187240 said:

Project Snowblind was also great, from what I remember it even surpassed the Xbox version in both visuals and performance surprisingly.

fallagin

The framerate was god awful, but the actual game was pretty alright. If they get the framerate right this could be pretty cool.

StuBurns

Banned
There are things about KZ1 that the other two didn't even come close to really. Performance was weak, encounter design was dreadful, but it's not without it's charm. If it's a Remaster, I'll buy it.

Evolved1

There are things about KZ1 that the other two didn't even come close to really. Performance was weak, encounter design was dreadful, but it's not without it's charm. If it's a Remaster, I'll buy it.

Yeah... at this point, it'd have to be a remaster to interest me.

TedNindo

OH YES FINALLY THE HALO KILLER!!!!

It was the original Halo killer right? I guess it was more of a kamikazi attempt then.

Man that game was bad... and it was repetitive and boring.

Worst thing about it was the hype that got built up before it released.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't get the hate the original Killzone gets.

Maybe it's because I didn't play it until many, many years after the release and the hype of the "Halo Killer" died down.

I think the campaign is the most varied and interesting in the entire series (and I loved KZ2 and 3, and Liberation), and I thought the game play was pretty solid.

Once I tweaked the button layout and sensitivity to my liking, I found KZ1 a really awesome FPS.

It's a shame this probably won't be an HD version, because we could have had the version GG was trying to make, but the PS2 was too weak for: smooth FPS and no pop in. If it was an HD remaster, it could have been, maybe arguably, the best entry in the series, as the story, writing, and acting is really, really good.

Man

So, port means it'll perform exactly as it did on ps2? Stupid Sony.

Having it be HDD based will help. It had some pop-in due to loading and it struggled at some more intense moments. Those aspects will probably be noticeably bettered.

Evolved1

OH YES FINALLY THE HALO KILLER!!!!

It was the original Halo killer right? I guess it was more of a kamikazi attempt then.

Man that game was bad... and it was repetitive and boring.

Worst thing about it was the hype that got built up before it released.

A decade later... and we still have to read this brain dead drivel.

madmook

Having it be HDD based will help. It had some pop-in due to loading and it struggled at some more intense moments. Those aspects will probably be noticeably bettered.
I do actually like the game, and if performance has been bettered any, then I will buy this for sure. But I'll let someone else be the guinea pig.

Evolved1

Its often said brutal melee was first implemented KZ3... but there was actually a sick-as-hell melee knife attack in KZ1.

Also... KZ1 had the best reload animations of the series. And secondary fire!!!

Not a perfect game, and its fun diminished somewhat by performance issues... but I think one of my favorite games on PS2.

Was just about to ask, did the previous PS2 Classics get rated by the ESRB like this? Can we expect them to spoil all upcoming Classic releases ;D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Shit then, shit now. I was one of the fools who got burnt on it since it was supposed to be where my Socom buds were moving to.

Recently played it at my friends a year back and it looked horrible. Eye bleeding sort of horrible where it was like one of those shooting galleries where the enemies were cardboard cut outs.

Top Bottom