• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB Rating: KILLZONE 1 on PS3

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There's absolutely no reason to play this game in 2012 now that the hype machine has died down.

So this is an admission that your sole motivation for playing a game.... is hype?

Or that your final impressions of the game were probably colored by unrealistic expectations?

KageMaru

confirmed port

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but aren't the PS2 classics emulated and not actually ported?

The GoW and ICO/SotC collections were ports and not remakes to me, so could this possibly be the same thing? If the frame rate is improved, I'll give the game another go.

hayejin

Sorry to go off topic but how does ESRB work?
Is it like movie rating system where they screen the movie before hand and give the rating?
If so then does someone have to play the game from start to finish to notice all the gore and sex?

Yeh the framerate wasn't great but the controls and AI were fine.

To me the controls on the first KIllzone are horrible and the game is barely playable. The range of movement is completely out of place, if you press slightly on the stick, it turns extremely slowly, if you push harder, it goes super fast. And no matter how I messed with the sensitivity settings, it felt bad. I still played trough the game because it had other qualities, but god, the combat was horrible because of that. And the AI is non existent, it's like Call of Duty, but without the fancy scripts. There are lots of areas where the enemies don't even react when you shoot them.

Sorry to go off topic but how does ESRB work?
Is it like movie rating system where they screen the movie before hand and give the rating?
If so then does someone have to play the game from start to finish to notice all the gore and sex?

The game developer/publisher sends them a video of their game's most offensive content. The ESRB reviews the video and decides the rating based off that.

Zen

Banned
probably just a straight up PS2 port like God Hand

this game, while poor, probably had the best and most original campaign of the franchise. Each level was a re-imagined sci-fi version of a real historical battle/war. Also had the best story and writing, which may not sound like much but still. :p Wouldn't mind a full-on reboot of the series starting with a remake of this.

Yeah... I mean I might get it for 9.99, but the game had an infinity amount of problems. I would have much preferred just a cleaned up HD/60FPS/locked 30 version.

Do PS2 ports on PSN have the exact same frame rate issues etc as their original versions (like when you're emulating PS1 games on the PC?). If the framerate is cleaned up I'd gladly replay it for the great art direction alone.

Zen

Banned
Other than the sniping controls, yeah they were fine, but the AI was pretty poor.

The AI was built to think that 1 bullet = enemy death, which is why you go them standing in front of one another while unloading, aside from that the AI was actually fairly good, though they still had the 'retreat from cover slowly and poorly' thing that made them appear stupider than they were. I think those 2 problems really maligned the otherwise very good AI work that the team did.

PerZona

The only good thing about Black on PS2 were the graphics IMO. Otherwise it was a boring and completely forgettable game with horribly spaced checkpoints.

I did enjoy Darkwatch though. Too bad the PS360 sequel was cancelled.

Ah yes, Darkwatch is awesome. Project Snowblind too! But I agree that Black is overrated~

Special J

Banned
its first party why are people not expecting the quick hd ports (gow,ico/sotc), these arent difficult to do.

sony will probably release some collection pack with 1+2+3.

jsnepo

The game with the better characters and story but weak shooting even if they get the framerate to a stable 60fps. Still the secondary fire is awesome. Dumb AI too.

I got the PS2 game here and the online mode still works with players almost reaching 100. Hahaha!

Dipswitch

Man, this game was shit. Boring missions and what seemed like 5 lines of inane battle chatter that just repeated over and over. Even the graphics were meh.

Inexplicably though, it had that "Ok, just one more level" aspect when it came to the gameplay. Addictive for reasons unknown.

And oddly enough, I have Killzone 2 and 3 in my backlog. Figured they have to be better than the first one.

Is it so much to ask for a simple cheap 720p or 1080p upscale with Trophy support?
That PS2 Classics line is really ruining these chances for many games. Previously, the only choice was HD+trophies.

Zen

Banned
The game with the better characters and story but weak shooting even if they get the framerate to a stable 60fps. Still the secondary fire is awesome. Dumb AI too.

I got the PS2 game here and the online mode still works with players almost reaching 100. Hahaha!

Seriously? In North America I'm pretty sure the servers were discontinued.

jsnepo

Seriously? In North America I'm pretty sure the servers were discontinued.

Last I checked it was. I'm going to check. I'll just look for that network cable. I wish the PS2 is wifi enabled.

edit: Just checked and the DNAS passed letting me login. It prompted me to download the update (3MB). I forgot I deleted it. I didn't continue as I don't have enough space in my memory card. Now I'm missing the original MGO.

So this is an admission that your sole motivation for playing a game.... is hype?

Oh no, not at all. I don't even visit gaming "journalism" websites, read gaming magazines, visit metacritic, ect. Most of the games I play are older games and arcade games.
Or that your final impressions of the game were probably colored by unrealistic expectations?

It was a bad game when it came out, and it's even worse now due to higher expectations this gen. It's certainly not a timeless classic or anything approaching that level.

Yeah... I mean I might get it for 9.99, but the game had an infinity amount of problems. I would have much preferred just a cleaned up HD/60FPS/locked 30 version.

Do PS2 ports on PSN have the exact same frame rate issues etc as their original versions (like when you're emulating PS1 games on the PC?). If the framerate is cleaned up I'd gladly replay it for the great art direction alone.

PS2 classics are iso dumps like PS1 classics that run on an emulator. No change in performance.

I'd be more inclined to buy these ports if they had trophies.
Not saying I'm a trophy whore or anything, but when I already own the game, I'd like trophy support to at least give me something new to do/strive for.

Like even if they're straight ports with no HD upgrade or anything, adding trophies would be worth the price of admission for me.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Fuck yeah, can't wait to play the first!

A.R.K

Wasted opportunity, should have gone the Halo CE route on 360. They should have done a proper HD remaster with locked 30fps, 4 player online co-op and new MP maps to have me interested and actually buy it.

Wasted opportunity, should have gone the Halo CE route on 360. They should have done a proper HD remaster with locked 30fps, 4 player online co-op and new MP maps to have me interested and actually buy it.

I agree with this 100%, this game should of received an HD remake.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Who would buy a full remaster/remake? KZ is nowhere near the popularity of Halo. 1080p60 would be nice though.

A.R.K

Who would buy a full remaster/remake? KZ is nowhere near the popularity of Halo. 1080p60 would be nice though.

A lot of people would have if it was done properly and was priced decently 14.99-19.99 with co-op and MP. Even 720p60 would have been nice. Forget that, even 720p30 with highres textures. Console gamers are easy to satisfy :)

obligatory:

"SCATA, GRENAADE!"

and

"NO NOT JOHNSON, HE WAS JUST A BOI!"

Best line in the game :p

I'd be more inclined to buy these ports if they had trophies.
Not saying I'm a trophy whore or anything, but when I already own the game, I'd like trophy support to at least give me something new to do/strive for.

Like even if they're straight ports with no HD upgrade or anything, adding trophies would be worth the price of admission for me.

They cant since its literally the PS2 game being played on PS3 (disconnects controller, etc).

If you want trophies get the "HD remakes/collections" so GOW, ICO/SOTC, Sly Cooper, the upcoming Jak and Daxter one, etc.

Top Bottom