• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold Demo Thread [Story mode only; can transfer to full game]

I'd buy this, but it's $59.99 in Canada. And that's the digital price.

I never finished EO2. Got as high as a floor that only had FOEs and could get no further.

This is also a hard sell because I didn't like EOU. Never got past the boss of the second stratum. It was interesting but I felt like I had to play the story,and I didn't like the story mode party. I've never touched classic mode, but it might be worth playing.

I'll grab this when it's $20 on the eShop.

Varion

Hopefully there's more info in the manual, but from what I can tell, double circle means weak, circle means neutral, ∆ means resist, and × means immune.

Elements are same as usual, but then the ailments are in three groups: special (stun, instant death), normal (petrification, fear, curse, sleep, confusion, paralysis, poison, blindness), and binds (head, arm, leg).
Yep, that's basically everything. It's super useful having it (especially for bosses, which on expert often involve a lot of retries), and one thing I really missed in earlier games seeing as I was weird and played Untold 2 first (followed by 4 and 3).

KarmaCow

Hopefully there's more info in the manual, but from what I can tell, double circle means weak, circle means neutral, ∆ means resist, and × means immune.

Elements are same as usual, but then the ailments are in three groups: special (stun, instant death), normal (petrification, fear, curse, sleep, confusion, paralysis, poison, blindness), and binds (head, arm, leg).

I don't think Wulfgar joins in classic, though. I think he was there more to compensate for the party only having three people, none of whom have great defense.

Fafnir is literally the only thing, aside from the guild card medal for completing story mode.

The status effect icons were a little unclear but yea I assume it'll be labelled in the manual.

The story mode complete medal will nag at me but it's better than getting burnt out trying to farm grimoire stones in Untold 1 to get the True Demon Core before moving on to Classic. Is there an online skill tree calculator, I find it easier to theorycraft an initial party with those.

Yep, that's basically everything. It's super useful having it (especially for bosses, which on expert often involve a lot of retries), and one thing I really missed in earlier games seeing as I was weird and played Untold 2 first (followed by 4 and 3).

Even going back to Untold 1 it's kinda hard. The simple ability to see what buffs/debuffs are on an enemy as well as their duration is something that should have always been in the series. I tend to play EO games while doing something else so losing track of buff/debuff timings was kinda annoying.

Oh man, I just finally wrapped up playing through the demos of EOU and EO4 on my 2DS, my first two experiences with the series after hearing about its old-school charm for years. I knew that the remake of 2 was coming soon enough, but hey, another demo already! And I get to experience this one while it's new-old to everyone!

syncyes

I thought I'd be able to just clear the demo with good builds on my party members and the best equips but the pull of EO is too hard. Grinding out lvl 10 grimoire stones of useful skills like Link Order instead.

RpgN

Having read this thread quickly, there is no mention of DLC that has floors or levels that are DLC exclusive. Wasn't that the case when it got released in Japan?

FC Bayern

So hyped!

This is exactly what I bought a US N3DS for. Fuck having to wait 1-12 months for the EU/AUS version.

I really wish story mode didn't have an exclusive class. The massive appeal of the series to me is to tinker around with party synergy and come up with strategies to beat post games bosses on my own.

Classic vs. Story mode isn't really a contest for me, just a little sad I probably wont ever get around to trying the new class.

One of the most underrated aspects from this series imo, is the music. EOII is only second to EOIII in terms of music and atmosphere for me, but some of my favorite tracks are from it and im excited to see how the remake treats them.

Hopefully they've fixed using a hexer with poison single handedly winning every random encounter in the main game. That was probably the most broken thing in the original game.

Nachos

Finally got all the opening post info squared away.
Having read this thread quickly, there is no mention of DLC that has floors or levels that are DLC exclusive. Wasn't that the case when it got released in Japan?
Unless NISA does something different for the European release, that's the case for all versions, and it'll be mentioned in the OT proper. It just didn't make much sense to me to mention content not even in the demo.

Shoulda just gone for a girl this time 'round :v
Hopefully they'll make one in Untold 3.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
How many floors is the new dungeon in this? I like what I played of floor 1!

Also, I can't pick a team :( I really want a Dark Hunter or Gunner, but I don't know who to replace.

Nachos

How many floors is the new dungeon in this? I like what I played of floor 1!

Also, I can't pick a team :( I really want a Dark Hunter or Gunner, but I don't know who to replace.
Info's all in the OP: three floors of the main dungeon and the first floor of Ginunagap (even if it's more like the first half of it).

And if anything, I think Flavio would lend himself well to a gunner, and Chloe would make a good dark hunter. The power of guns and bows is now based on agility instead of strength, so I think Flavio would make a pretty smooth transition.

MikeDip

Info's all in the OP: three floors of the main dungeon and the first floor of Ginunagap (even if it's more like the first half of it).

And if anything, I think Flavio would lend himself well to a gunner, and Chloe would make a good dark hunter. The power of guns and bows is now based on agility instead of strength, so I think Flavio would make a pretty smooth transition.

No, I meant in the full game, wondering how big that new ginuagnapapapap dungeon is. I already beat the demo :( Waiting for my preordered copy to get here.

And yeah, I already turned Flavio to a gunner, seemed to fit. Always preferred guns to bows in these games when possible.

Nachos

No, I meant in the full game, wondering how big that new ginuagnapapapap dungeon is. I already beat the demo :( Waiting for my preordered copy to get here.
5 for Ginunagap, and 30 for the main dungeon.
31 if you get the ultimate challenge DLC or whatever it's called.

How's the story in Untold? I liked PQ for the gameplay and enjoyed EO IV's demo even though I only messed around with it briefly. I feel like this gameplay with a good story would be a home run for me.

Nachos

How's the story in Untold? I liked PQ for the gameplay and enjoyed EO IV's demo even though I only messed around with it briefly. I feel like this gameplay with a good story would be a home run for me.

I think the best word to describe Untold 1's story mode is "inoffensive." It's not as bad as the hardcore elitists say it is, but it's also not very memorable and arguably destroys the main plot twist the original had going for itself. It doesn't help that of the new party members introduced, only the girls were really any good.

The Etrian games have always had stories, but if you want something more character-driven, I think Untold 2 would be the way to go. Even just in the demo, the characters are much more likable across the board. Plus all of the stories are self-contained, so you won't be missing anything.

MikeDip

It really really depends on what you mean by story. Even the classic modes that didn't have "stories" have stories. I think they are all solid stories, you should get eo4.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm always impressed with the amount of content in these demos. I cleared out all FOEs and the 'boss' at the end. The story team doesn't seem too bad although I really miss dark hunter. Maybe I'll class change one of the characters but none of them seemed like they had a high luck stat for binds.

I also continue to wish the game would just give me numbers on skills. Don't tell me 'lowers enemy defense.' Tell me the %

Is there a japanese wiki up for this yet with the real numbers?

Anteo

Story mode in EOU was underwhelming, they tried to take classic's mode story and make it work with characters but they butchered in the process. Heck, even the "final boss" motivations are broken and they send you to
beat a weakened version of the post game boss just because that change.
I like EO3 branching story the best of all games

Edit: clarified a bit more

I think the best word to describe Untold 1's story mode is "inoffensive." It's not as bad as the hardcore elitists say it is, but it's also not very memorable and arguably destroys the main plot twist the original had going for itself. It doesn't help that of the new party members introduced, only the girls were really any good.

The Etrian games have always had stories, but if you want something more character-driven, I think Untold 2 would be the way to go. Even just in the demo, the characters are much more likable across the board. Plus all of the stories are self-contained, so you won't be missing anything.

haha well that doesn't sound too promising, especially if it took away from the story. I'll definitely check out the demo soon, downloading it now. I've liked what I've heard in the thread so far.

It really really depends on what you mean by story. Even the classic modes that didn't have "stories" have stories. I think they are all solid stories, you should get eo4.

I had no idea, I was always under the impression they had no story and were simply gameplay focused, that's good to hear though. Self contained stories actually sound more appealing than you usual RPG style story. I'll need to pick up EO4 next time I have a mobile game drought, loved all the options that were presented when building your party, and I've heard it gets even more in depth.

Story mode in EOU was underwhelming, they tried to take classic's mode story and make it work with characters but they butchered in the process.
I like EO3 branching story the best of all games

Thanks for the rec, I'll definitely look into EO3 as well.

Anteo

I had no idea, I was always under the impression they had no story and were simply gameplay focused, that's good to hear though. Self contained stories actually sound more appealing than you usual RPG style story. I'll need to pick up EO4 next time I have a mobile game drought, loved all the options that were presented when building your party, and I've heard it gets even more in depth.

Well, EOI (EOU classic mode) story was not there until the middle of the game were all of the sudden it shows up. It's like you got tricked into playing this storyless game and then all of the sudden stuff happens left and right. It's like "plot twitst, there is a plot" and that's not the last twist

EOIII and EOIV on the other hand had a narrative going on since the begining of the game, though just like other EOs, it really gets going as soon as you hit the middle of the game (a liitle bit earlier in EOIII)

Kirlia

Banned
Unless NISA does something different for the European release, that's the case for all versions, and it'll be mentioned in the OT proper. It just didn't make much sense to me to mention content not even in the demo.

HOWEVER, should you get the game right away, some DLC will be free in its first week of release. The free DLC is typically non-money/EXP grinding fare, although the Ultimate Challenge DLC that I'm hearing about will apparently not be free for a time. Sad times.

P.S: EO3 is GREAT.

MikeDip

All the NPCs in town always get new talk dialogue after every floor you clear. I always loved that in these games, a nice reward for beating a map. Not always part of the overarching story but still furthers the world and characters.

The games have stories if you look for them.

The map designs and bosses further this too. Best example is the last stratum of EO1.

EO games have stories, and good ones in most of them imo.

Fuck Story mode.

All the NPCs in town always get new talk dialogue after every floor you clear. I always loved that in these games, a nice reward for beating a map. Not always part of the overarching story but still furthers the world and characters.

The games have stories if you look for them.

The map designs and bosses further this too. Best example is the last stratum of EO1.

I've always loved how the NPCs warm up to you.

spiritfox

The story in EO games are just not as in your face as most RPGs. And you actually get to role play, instead of just following a premade group of characters.

Still making my way through the demo. I dunno how I feel about it. There's nothing offensive about the demo. I just think im not feeling it. It just feels like more of the same. Or maybe I'm burnt out after PQ and EOU1. I love the series but I've yet to finish any of the games. EOIV still remains my favorite because the airship offers the illusion of a world to explore and a break from the confines of the dungeon halls. But it just still feels "samey" to EOU1. Sigh...

Still making my way through the demo. I dunno how I feel about it. There's nothing offensive about the demo. I just think im not feeling it. It just feels like more of the same. Or maybe I'm burnt out after PQ and EOU1. I love the series but I've yet to finish any of the games. EOIV still remains my favorite because the airship offers the illusion of a world to explore and a break from the confines of the dungeon halls. But it just still feels "samey" to EOU1. Sigh...

EO4 is the only game that had an overworld like that, III has the ship stuff but it's something you can ignore 100%.

DRPGS are usually just dungeons forever.

KarmaCow

It's funny because that's what I didn't like about EOIV. I want that giant single dungeon and I hope EOV is more of a return to form.

Oh weird - I just started playing EOIV again today after probably 2 years off. I should probably finish it because I want to check out more of the series and these Untold games seem like a good way to do that. I'd probably hit Persona Q first though.

It's funny because that's what I didn't like about EOIV. I want that giant single dungeon and I hope EOV is more of a return to form.

I'd actually be fine with EOV going back to only dungeons, but I liked the extra sense of discovery that you get from the airship stuff and finding new caves/dungeons/FOEs.

For me it's about them bringing interesting classes and making the games challenging again(Expert helps but I wish there was only one difficulty and the game was balanced toward it). It would also be nice if the game got a visual upgrade even if I don't really care about that a lot.

MikeDip

I liked the boat in 3 a lot, the puzzle aspect tickled me good

Nachos

For me it's about them bringing interesting classes and making the games challenging again(Expert helps but I wish there was only one difficulty and the game was balanced toward it).
Even though I always set things to expert, I think the variety of difficulties (and basically being able to switch between them) is great for the series, especially for newcomers and/or more casual players. I do think that expert mode should serve as the basis for balancing the rest of the game, though, to provide against enemies being way too strong or being damage sponges.

Even though I always set things to expert, I think the variety of difficulties (and basically being able to switch between them) is great for the series, especially for newcomers and/or more casual players. I do think that expert mode should serve as the basis for balancing the rest of the game, though, to provide against enemies being way too strong or being damage sponges.

exactly, I'm fine with whatever other difficulty if Expert is well thought out.

PsionBolt

Finished the demo. They really overhyped that purple dinosaur, chump went down pretty quickly despite me not being able to get him into a hole or two like the blue ones.
You know, if ten guards couldn't handle it, I have to wonder what level they were. If I were running the city, I'd institute mandatory grinding on low floors for new guards until they were level 10 or so. Should only take a few days, anyway.

The story party this time around is... Eh. Not really feeling any of them. EOU1 wasn't that great either with only 3 out of 5 decent, but they managed to score 0 out of 5 this time for me. Somewhat disappointing. I mean, I was probably going to mainly play Classic anyway, but it would have been nice to have the story mode option be a bit more appealing.

Nachos

So you are supposed to fight that dinosaur? I tried one of the regular ones on floor 3 and ran out of TP, and I had to run away.
I haven't gone back to do the purple one yet, but I thought the blue ones were the easiest FOEs in the demo. If you're having trouble doing enough damage, I'd recommend investing in Delayed Chase/Blade Recoil and Link Order. I also found throwing a Link Order grimoire onto Bertrand helped pile on the ice damage, since he has a decent TP pool but doesn't need to guard if the dino's asleep or properly bound.

Make sure you get them to fall into pitfalls twice, if you haven't.

I haven't gone back to do the purple one yet, but I thought the blue ones were the easiest FOEs in the demo. If you're having trouble doing enough damage, I'd recommend investing in Delayed Chase/Blade Recoil and Link Order. I also found throwing a Link Order grimoire onto Bertrand helped pile on the ice damage, since he has a decent TP pool but doesn't need to guard if the dino's asleep or properly bound.

Make sure you get them to fall into pitfalls twice, if you haven't.

I just beat my first Raptor! Your advice really helped.

Weebos

Banned
Man, I'm on the 12th floor of EO:U and this comes out in less than two weeks.

I'm barely into Persona Q as well.

Time to buckle down.

MikeDip

Man, I'm on the 12th floor of EO:U and this comes out in less than two weeks.

I'm barely into Persona Q as well.

Time to buckle down.

Two weeks, plenty of time. You can throw in a (re?)play of 3 and 4 too!

Top Bottom