• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Nachos

Also, Cestus got renamed to Pugilist, Herbalist got renamed to Botanist, and Reaper got renamed to Harbinger. That's on top of the change from Hound to Rover.

spiritfox

Oh I just noticed the new font. Yeah I prefer the previous one. This new one is nice, but doesn't fit the series I feel.

I'm surprised they kept Masurao. That's the one I was expecting them to change. Not a fan of Botanist, I rather they kept Herbalist and renamed Reaper something else.

Nachos

Oh I just noticed the new font. Yeah I prefer the previous one. This new one is nice, but doesn't fit the series I feel.

I'm surprised they kept Masurao. That's the one I was expecting them to change. Not a fan of Botanist, I rather they kept Herbalist and renamed Reaper something else.
I honestly think the new font might just be the English characters of the Japanese one, which is the kind of thing that should be avoided when possible.

But as for the names, I guess they wanted to make the Herbalist's name encompass the ailment skills better, and "Herbalist" is generally used with healing connotations. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the changes were just because they didn't want two-character class icons in the menus again. So, when they changed Hound to Rover, they had to change Reaper so it wouldn't share the same first letter.

spiritfox

Yeah, that's why I was suggesting they don't use Harbinger. Not sure what other names work well for Reaper though, so I guess it's the best compromise.

Nachos

I feel like Hunter would work, but then you'd still have to change "Herbalist."

Also, the game likely isn't launching until October/November.

Finally, Altlus announced that it will stream various Etrian series games every Friday starting July 28 at 3:00 p.m. PT / 6:00 p.m. ET on Twitch, which will lead up to an Etrian Odyssey V streaming event on September 15.

asagami_

Banned
I hit a wall (literally) in EO IV.
I was expecting that backtracking the former dungeons and check the weird stones would help me to finally advance into the fifth labyrinth, but now I haven't idea what to do .-.

tuffy

I hit a wall (literally) in EO IV.
I was expecting that backtracking the former dungeons and check the weird stones would help me to finally advance into the fifth labyrinth, but now I haven't idea what to do .-.
You're on the right track, it sounds like.
After you've gone through the "world tour" of previous labyrinths and activating all four altars, you'll need to go back to the Forgotten Capital and finish off the rest of the fifth labyrinth.

asagami_

Banned
You're on the right track, it sounds like.
After you've gone through the "world tour" of previous labyrinths and activating all four altars, you'll need to go back to the Forgotten Capital and finish off the rest of the fifth labyrinth.

Yey finally I can advance! I was missing an altar (the one from the 3rd labyrinth), silly of me.

KarmaCow

I've been looking up the different races and classes in EOV to theorycraft a party and it's kinda clumsy using this skill calculator. Did they change the respec/class change penalties in this since there are so many permutations with races, classes, and specializations? I read that classes are locked to certain races until you complete the tutorial for some bizarre reason so I'm hoping it's basically free to swap around.

edit: nevermind just saw that they kept it at -5 levels. That's a shame.

edit2: it's weird that the skill names don't match the skill names in the screenshots for the game. Seems like an easy fix.

tuffy

EO6 is gonna be on 3ds and we're gonna love it.
imokaywiththis.jpg

The 3DS isn't going to be around forever and it's doubtful there'll be any more dual screen systems in Nintendo's future, but it's also not obvious how the series and its engine would adapt to being on a single screen.

spiritfox

imokaywiththis.jpg

The 3DS isn't going to be around forever and it's doubtful there'll be any more dual screen systems in Nintendo's future, but it's also not obvious how the series and its engine would adapt to being on a single screen.

I feel like they could drop the map drawing mechanic and still do well. It's not even what I come to the series for anymore. The battle system and music are the main draws for me.

tuffy

I feel like they could drop the map drawing mechanic and still do well. It's not even what I come to the series for anymore. The battle system and music are the main draws for me.
Unless they shift away from 1st-person dungeon crawling (ew), they're going to need some sort of mapping solution one way or another. People need to know where the FOEs are, where the unopened shortcuts are, and so on. Having the game auto-draw the map on an overlay based on what the player can see might work even if it loses the hands-on map-drawing aspect. But I think it'd be funny if they bundled a pad of graph paper for that authentic classic Wizardry experience.

spiritfox

Before I actually start EO2U, is Highlander a class worth having? Other than her being a cutie.

It's a decent damage class but I don't think it stands out as super powerful or anything. The Delayed/Cross Charge combo takes a while to set up and if you get disrupted you might miss the timings, but if you do the rotation properly it's good damage. They also have Bloody Offense which I think is the highest line damage buff in the game.

I think the Ronin is overall a better melee DPS class but Ronins are really weak early game.

Zweizer

Banned
Alchemists can be good melee too with palms, but they're even more fragile and take even more time to grow viable.

Overall though, there's not that big of disparity between Landsknecht/Ronin/Highlander in terms of front-row damage, so just pick whichever you like the most out of the three.

I was just wondering if I should bother adding money to my eshop account just to get her...
latest

She's too cute, I'm gonna have to do it.

Shoulda bought the game day one and gotten the DLC for free!

I would've! But I can't remember why. It may have been between how salty I was about the 7 month wait, despite having a release date ever since NA got a release date...

And I was poor at the time maybe. Anyway someone got it for me as a present but I just haven't sat down to play it at all
Devil Survivor 2 is sitting wrapped as well.

Edit: I got Highlander. She cost a whole 89 brexit pence.

asagami_

Banned
So I'm at the EO IV final boss. That was anticlimactic o_O I almost defeated it but
i was not expecting a "final" form, now I google it looks I need to prepare myself better the next time.

Unless I want to the post-game I can say I will be ready for day-one EO V yey.

jonjonaug

So I'm at the EO IV final boss. That was anticlimactic o_O I almost defeated it but
i was not expecting a "final" form, now I google it looks I need to prepare myself better the next time.

Unless I want to the post-game I can say I will be ready for day-one EO V yey.
Do the postgame, EOIV has a good one and the very final boss is actually quite fair.

I'm enjoying EO2U. Also I think I might have a new favourite track, even though it's quite different from anything else in EO, the Ginnungagap boss theme.
The first Ginnungagap boss is a real bastard at the level you can fight it.
Line petrifications. I can get the Basilisk down to 30-40% but the 2nd stone eye my party tends to be in a bad shape, I have the TP but RNG hates me and I can't bind the arms and legs to save me

I'm running a:
F: Beast/Highlander/WarMagus
B: Gunner/Hexer

I'll probably dislike it at some point. So far the skills are a bit weak because I focused on increasing their masteries and stat increases.

Zweizer

Banned
It's a pretty cool metal track.
I'd advise getting Barrier to level 20 as soon as possible for your War Magus. It's a lifesaver against all ailments.

EO6 is gonna be on 3ds and we're gonna love it.
I will personally riot if, in 2017 when the Switch is shown to be a smashing success that can't stay on shelves and is in need of exclusives, Atlus greenlights EO6 for the cannibalizing 7 year-old 3ds.

The lack of direct touchscreen interface actually excites me, because it would force the series to adopt something new.

NOVEMBER 3RD EUROPEAN RELEASE.

I would be mad it's 2 weeks after, BUT MAN I AM SO GLAD IT IS ONLY 2 WEEKS.

Edit: Orrrrr RPGSite made up that date because I cannot find their source.

First time posting here! I'm maybe halfway through my first EO run ever, working on Untold Classic Normal and hopefully getting through post-game.

Right now I'm not sure whether to go with IV or Untold 2 once I'm done here. Does Untold 2's Story Mode improve substantially from the first Untold's? I keep reading about how it's better, but haven't found a detailed rundown of what's better or worse. All I know is I can switch between Classic and Story saves in Untold 2 and still get all content in Classic, which makes things extra convenient for me anyway. Given that, I'll probably do IV first in case I spend double the amount of time on Untold 2 later, and then it's time III unless that gets a remake after V somehow.

Zweizer

Banned
Welcome! Enjoy your stay~

First thing is that the original EO2 had even less of a story than EO1, so there wasn't much for Untold 2 to mess up to begin with, but Story-wise it actually gave an interesting set of characters who, while not groundbreaking by any means, are much more likeable due to a mroe well-rounded characterization, more numerous and better-written interactions between all the cast, which leads to greater party synergy, and I'd say the story was arguably improved on the original by giving it more context and depth without sacrificing the original twists and characterizations (not that it had originally any for this one).

Outside the Story mode, the Grimoire system has also been substantially improved, making it less reliant on luck, and you can actually explore the newly-added Story dungeon in the Classic mode as well.

Overall though, if you're planning to play both IV and Untold 2, I'd advise beginning with IV first, as it lacks some of the later QoL improvements (such as faster walking).

IV has enough unique things going for it (like sub-classing) to make up for no quickstep, Floor Jump, and other niceties which are helping me get into Untold. I wish there was FM-synth music for it, but oh well.

I already know I'll need to wean off Floor Jump at some point, though it feels like I'll take forever to get evenly leveled otherwise. B14F has nasty things in store for me already, so I'm experimenting with Grimoires to get better line defense options on my explorers. Is there an easier way to level up new pre-retired classes later on without sacrificing quest EXP on them? Getting lvl 30 retirees back up to speed will take a while too. My main party's skillset is good enough now that I can survive red FOEs on the newest floors (got trapped by a giant enemy crab at the Bug Nest event tile in B13F and eked out a win instead of reseting...phew).

Zweizer

Banned
You can try to get some Holy Gift grimoires through QR Guild Cards (it requires some luck to get one at good level). Otherwise, there's the Exp or Rare Breeds Cordial from Rosa. Assuming you're playing on Expert, you can always set the difficulty down to Picnic to speed things up.

Top Bottom