• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
IMG_20170831_155634.jpg

https://twitter.com/SQ_kouhou/status/902908814835326977

Well that's certainly eye-catching.

omlet

I finally updated the EOV blurb of the OT, although I've been out of the loop on news outside of skimming this thread so if there's anything else important to mention there let me know and I'll slot it in.

Dandy, if you wanna whip up another image for the game similar to the rest, just send it (or the link) my way. For now I at least got a picture of the game's cover instead of the art originally used from the first announcement.

I finally updated the EOV blurb of the OT, although I've been out of the loop on news outside of skimming this thread so if there's anything else important to mention there let me know and I'll slot it in.

Dandy, if you wanna whip up another image for the game similar to the rest, just send it (or the link) my way. For now I at least got a picture of the game's cover instead of the art originally used from the first announcement.
Aye aye!

Now I've just gotta find some exciting features about EOV cause I've hardly followed the actual gameplay of the title.

spiritfox

Let's see...

• Improved character customization and voice options
  • Class specialization system with 2 different trees per class
  • Racial skills and reclassing for multiple race/class combinations
  • Improved events and stuff (I haven't followed this closely cause spoilers so I'm not sure what exactly they did)
  • Dragoons are the best class

Also you're still missing EMD2 lol.

kromeo

I'm about 5 hours into 4 and it seems to be harder than either of the untold games so far, even my fortress is still getting one shot by the foes

The airship stuff and multiple dungeons is a nice change from the previous games

omlet

Okay, got the EMD2 entry added to OP, as well. Any other deets I need to add let me know.

I'm about 5 hours into 4 and it seems to be harder than either of the untold games so far, even my fortress is still getting one shot by the foes

The airship stuff and multiple dungeons is a nice change from the previous games
Don't mess with them kangaroos, they'll bop ya good. Early-game FOEs in EO4 are designed to mess you up lol.

I just retired after unlocking subclasses, and I'm totally squishy again lol.

What's your build?

kromeo

I just retired after unlocking subclasses, and I'm totally squishy again lol.

What's your build?

Most of the time with landsknecht, fortress, dancer on the front row and sniper and medic at the back. No idea if dancer is considered to be any good, I just liked the idea of having a bit of extra healing

Most of the time with landsknecht, fortress, dancer on the front row and sniper and medic at the back. No idea if dancer is considered to be any good, I just liked the idea of having a bit of extra healing

Swap Dancer for Runecaster on the back line and that was my party. I found that putting as much into Patch Up was bigger for me than other healing, I didn't max out Healing or Line Heal and it worked just fine.

omlet

Dancers are great but they don't shine until a little ways into the game. I 100%'d EOIV with a Fortress/Nightseeker/Dancer | Runemaster/Medic party so I'll vouch for dancer!

Its either EOVI or EO3 Remake. I could see an EO3 remake where the bring in a bunch of stuff from the other games, considering the nature of the game. Since you are based in a trade town, it would be easy to bring any of the classes from other games in, and you can explore around to find areas similar to previous games.

Either way, "last title in the series that uses the bottom screen of the Nintendo 3DS to draw the map" is an odd way to word it. It implies that the game would be the EO3 remake, since it wouldn't make sense to remake EO3 and not have its mapping system back, but it also sounds like they are still considering making more EO games on the 3DS. Then again, an EO3 remake may be a good way to test the waters on a different mapping system, since it should be easier to make than a brand new game. Who knows, I'm just babbling now.

Like I said in the other thread, the mapping as is has gotten hackneyed. I care about the party building and combat.

For the record, I see people baffled at my hiatus from the series post EO3. I had a car wreck and serious financial woes for the past few years, so I only started truly playing video games this year. That's why the dude with an EO user name missed the 3ds generation, lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mapping is what separates this series from the also rans. Even other similar Atlus games like Strange Journey have me pining for the map.

Etrian Odyssey is more than just the mapping mechanic. The series could survive without it and still be Etrian.

Also I'm hoping for EO6, over EO3U. But I'd still be excited for a 3U.

Zweizer

Banned
The next installment will launch with a companion add that you have to download on your phone in order to draw maps. It'll also be the perfect opportunity for Atlus to practice before the transition of the series to mobile!

Rutger

Banned
The series can survive past the DS/3DS, the party building and the puzzle filled labyrinths are what make the series truly stand out.

As for the mapping there's plenty of ways that can be worked around. Let's say it continues onto the Switch, auto mapping when docked with touchscreen mapping in handheld mode would be my first idea if I were developing it. Auto mapping is not new to the series, and a map menu could still allow us to set icons and notes when docked.

Otherwise, the phone app idea I've seen a few people suggest could also work. Though I don't think it would be as elegant. Whatever they do, I imagine that we will at least be able to place icons and notes since that's the most important part, but I expect they would want to give us something more than just that.

But who knows!

spiritfox

I think automapping with a minimap and keeping the notes should be good enough. I don't think most people into the series is going to mind losing mapping for more games in the future.

omlet

I just read that to mean "we have more planned for other systems but this will be the last one in the DS/3DS style" which is kinda expected at this point given the system's age.

I think automapping with a minimap and keeping the notes should be good enough. I don't think most people into the series is going to mind losing mapping for more games in the future.

It's a big part of why I love the games. I know it's petty, but I'd love for it to live on on the 3DS forever.

tuffy

I am one of those few, because I'm a sucker for the artbook and OSTs. But I can understand people staying away since it's a roguelike spin-off on a system that's getting increasingly dated.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah they made quite a big deal about how this game was also meant to be a celebration of the franchise's 10th anniversary.

Let's hope it's just a sign that most people didn't like the Mystery Dungeon formula and/or are tired of this generation, not that they're sick of Etrian Odyssey itself.

Nachos

Apparently the ending of EMD2 was outsourced, and it's so bad that it manages to stand out in a series not known for its story.

Also, there's a glitch that can cause to permanently lower your stats by accident. Presumably, you could keep doing it until your character has 0/negative attack (whichever the game allows for).

Top Bottom