• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

omlet

Well, bad news: apparently the comments made in the art book were basically just members of the Etrian team throwing out "what if" scenarios for a joke. All of the comments were never meant to be taken seriously.
Phew, good thing I wasn't taking them seriously, then!

Yeah it's pretty nice in concept, even if in practice it devolves into you running back and forth in front of the water source for hours.

Nah, just go in the dragon's room and set an auto-walk path and check back later. No random encounters in that room lol.

Well, bad news: apparently the comments made in the art book were basically just members of the Etrian team throwing out "what if" scenarios for a joke. All of the comments were never meant to be taken seriously.

But, I mean, Untold 3 will probably still happen, possibly even this year. Untold 2 was announced three months before it launched in Japan.

That's okay, it was too awesome to be true.

Untold 3 this year and EOV next year sounds good to me.

tuffy

Hm, I thought that room was too small to make an auto-move loop.
The healing spring room is too small to make a loop, but it is possible to point two auto-walk arrows at one another so the party bounces back and forth continually. I'd hate to watch it though since you'd spend half the time just turning around.

Zweizer

Banned
The healing spring room is too small to make a loop, but it is possible to point two auto-walk arrows at one another so the party bounces back and forth continually. I'd hate to watch it though since you'd spend half the time just turning around.

Pretty much. It's obviously not as effective as the Wyvern room, but it works.

Zweizer

Banned
It's too bad they aren't getting localized as quickly as Persona Q did. Oh well, at this point I'm happy that they're coming to Europe at all.

Nachos

Someone posted this from Mystery Dungeon on another site:
Dr. Stein said:
"My mentor, Proffessor Randi has published books on dungeon legends...
Have you heard of him? His books inspired me to be a labyrinth archaeologist. They've fascinated me ever since I was little.
My first one was [The Tale of the Remote Forest]. [The Airborne Northern Castle] and [Secrets of the Deep City] were good too.
I've always admired the professor, which is why I was thrilled to get to study under him directly.
But I didn't get carried away. I studied hard and got my doctorate with my thesis on the [Folklore of the Frontier Titan].
The professor put me in charge of lectures and asked me to assist me in his research. I've even read a draft of his new book.
It's called [The Pact of the Holywood and the Embermen]. Sounds intriguing, doesn't it?"

---

"But I lost contact with him after he got wrapped up in publishing the new book. He left a note that said...
'I'll be gone for some time. Please go to Aslarga to investigate the dungeons in my place, and look after Sasha.'
That was over a year ago and we still haven't heard from him. I wonder where he is...what he's doing..."

I'm sorry but [The Pact of the Holywood and the Embermen] refers to
Etrian Mystery Dungeon's plot.
Not EO5. We're still in the dark about that.

PK Gaming

Just played EOIV again

That game is so, so good

The gameplay, the music, the atmosphere... it's just a ton of fun to play through. Can't until I can finish the postgame so I can play through it again.

Nachos

I'm sorry but [The Pact of the Holywood and the Embermen] refers to
Etrian Mystery Dungeon's plot.
Not EO5. We're still in the dark about that.
Oh, okay. My 3DS is still out of commission, so I had no idea.

Just played EOIV again

That game is so, so good

The gameplay, the music, the atmosphere... it's just a ton of fun to play through. Can't until I can finish the postgame so I can play through it again.
Did you finish the post-hand the first time around?

PK Gaming

Oh, okay. My 3DS is still out of commission, so I had no idea.

Did you finish the post-hand the first time around?

I'm playing through it right now. So far so good, but I have a feeling it'll get a lot harder soon. I'm ready for the challenge though!

Hall of Darkness is the 2nd best haunted house in dungeon crawlers, after Persona Q.

I dunno. That intro descriptive text on the overworld followed by the Hall of Darkness splash picture in time with the genuinely unnerving music when you first enter gets me everytime. That along with all the
statues of petrified people, red blood... stuff everywhere, desks and seats in increasingly unnatural arrangements, apocalypse journal logs, and being forced to tightly weave yourself between FOEs and tough random encounters
were way more stressful to me than the haunted house aesthetic. Some of the tedium in Persona Q's dungeon kinda killed the atmosphere.

PK Gaming

I dunno. That intro descriptive text on the overworld followed by the Hall of Darkness splash picture in time with the genuinely unnerving music when you first enter gets me everytime. That along with all the
statues of petrified people, red blood... stuff everywhere, desks and seats in increasingly unnatural arrangements, apocalypse journal logs, and being forced to tightly weave yourself between FOEs and tough random encounters
were way more stressful to me than the haunted house aesthetic. Some of the tedium in Persona Q's dungeon kinda killed the atmosphere.

Yeah I feel the same way. Persona Q's dungeon felt more "fun" than oppressive. The handful of goofy character interactions (and one surprisingly heartwarming moment with Rei) didn't really make me feel scared or tense. On the other hand, the Hall of Darkness has been making my heart thump since I got there. Like you pointed out, the music, the increase in difficulty, the atmosphere, those cryptic journals... it's designed from the ground up to unnerve the player. Something happened, and i'm dying to know what it was.

spiritfox

Hall of Darkness is more genuinely creepy, but I like how well the haunted house was portrayed gameplay-wise in Persona Q. The jump scare dolls freaked the fuck out of me the entire time, and the chase section was genuinely tense. Hall of Darkness has the more oppressive atmosphere, but mechanics-wise was just another labyrinth.

omlet

Just got the Mystery Dungeon game, anyone got any tips before I dive into it?

Put a paladin in your party ASAP while you get a feel for the game. Even if you don't want to plan to use one long-term, I recommend starting with one because they'll really help keep rooms manageable until you learn how the game works.

Recruit the max number of characters you can right at the start of the game since they will gain some exp even in town.

Hold down Y button to change facing without moving (I overlooked this and it drove me nuts for the first 2 dungeons lol).

Put your money in the bank before leaving town unless you're taking some to build a tower.

That should get you started.

Althane

Don't let your Wanderer throw rocks.

Good to know. Unlocked Wanderers, they look pretty awesome, once they get enough skill points. Is that an accurate assessment?

Made it through the first 3 dungeons. Just beat the boss of the 3rd dungeon. USed pretty much every item I had, and that I picked up in the dungeon, and had my Landshark die and have to get nectar'd, but I finally beat him down. Success!

Time for that sweet, sweet reward.

Should I be building forts in dungeons for any other reason other than having a place to train my guild?

GeekyDad

They'll stop moving in hallways to continue throwing rocks into the next room, clogging up the hallway and not letting the rest of your party through.

They'll do that regardless of whether or not they're casting. Seems like most of AI characters will simply bottleneck in hallways if your leader enters the room straight on.

Nachos

I saw this get posted elsewhere, but here's Untold 2's ESRB description:
Rating Summary: This is a role-playing game in which players help a princess through a labyrinth to perform a mysterious ritual. As players traverse dungeon environments, they engage in turn-based combat against a variety of human enemies and fantasy creatures (e.g., large insects, snow ghosts, dinosaurs). Players select moves/attacks from a menu-screen of options; attacks are accompanied by light effects, impact sounds, and realistic gunfire. Several characters and female creatures are depicted in revealing outfits that expose large amounts of cleavage and/or portions of their breasts. One sequence depicts still images of female characters bathing nude in a hot spring—their breasts are obscured by steam. The game contains several alcohol references in the dialogue (e.g., “The only thing still missing is some good strong booze to go with it,” “Thing is . . . well, normal hooch is easy to get, but my secret whiskey's another story,” “Now I just gotta make some whiskey with this.”). The words “a*s” and “bastard” appear in the game.
They don't rate DLC (unless there's some exceptions I don't know), so could all of the it actually be included in the base game for the western release?

Zweizer

Banned
I saw this get posted elsewhere, but here's Untold 2's ESRB description:

They don't rate DLC (unless there's some exceptions I don't know), so could all of the it actually be included in the base game for the western release?

I can see them bundling some DLC into the game.

Not all of them though. That'd be crazy (but awesome).

Nachos

I can see them bundling some DLC into the game.

Not all of them though. That'd be crazy (but awesome).
Yeah, it'd pretty much switch me from being unsure about getting the game day one to pre-ordering it.

If it does happen, I hope that the the extra portraits are included (since those would always be free anyway and Nintendo's 3DS servers won't stay up forever).

PK Gaming

latest

EO3 GET. Hopefully I'll have finished EOIV by the time it arrives (if not, no big deal)

It's awesome how I have a whole new set of classes to look forward to. I love EO.

Top Bottom